All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

'Let Yourself Go' Arrived Today

Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:51 pm

My copy of 'Let Yourself Go' dropepd through the letter box today from those good folks at Now Dig This, so I am guessing a few more of your got your copies too. I'll post some thoughts when I have given it a listen - feel free to join in.

Chris

Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:55 pm

Great!

Mine should be at home when I get back, from Essential Elvis. Can't wait to listen to it. Do let us know what you thinK, Chris.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:28 pm

Yes,I also haved my copy today !!The sound is good,the songs of the rehearsal are the same,as on the old bootleg,,From Burbank to Vegas,,But now in a much better sound.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:57 pm

Just had mine from Unlimited and it's great.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:07 pm

Had it today, allready made one spin. Great sound.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:36 pm

Can't wait to get this !

Who did the mastering on the Cd ?

Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:30 pm

Kevan Budd did.

Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:24 am

philobeddo wrote:

Kevan Budd did.

:smt041

That's great news...

More details / reviews please!

I don't have mine yet - hopefully it's coming soon.

Rich

Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:32 am

I bet this '68 topic will get less posts than the College Park one :?
Just got this cd, and it's a nice one.
It's nice to hear the outtakes and all the different vocals.

I don't really care for the rehearsals though, but the do perfectly fit in of course..

Cheers, RJ

Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:49 am

Robert wrote: don't really care for the rehearsals ...

The June 24 sit down rehearsal / jam is the highlight of the disc. It's Elvis at his very best, his voice the sound of a jailbreak, man.

Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:25 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:The June 24 sit down rehearsal / jam is the highlight of the disc. It's Elvis at his very best, his voice the sound of a jailbreak, man.

Elvis' gravely (Husky) voice has always been the best time period of Elvis' career for me (68 & 69) apart from the 50's, so this has been a welcome release for me.

I must admit though, I expected more from this release. Rumours over the years have indicated that Elvis recorded vocals for "Sometimes I feel Like A Motherless Child"! This "Unreleased" song can now be scratched from our lists, as he didn't record any vocals!

For "Completists" sake, this release is a "Must Have" but for the majority of fans (who enjoy Soundboards!) this will not appeal to them and will not sell well.

I was right by the way, that Kevan Budd had something to do with release, he mastered it!

Now we need Kevan to start on proper "Sessions" FTD CD's!

Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:44 am

For "Completists" sake, this release is a "Must Have" but for the majority of fans (who enjoy Soundboards!) this will not appeal to them and will not sell well.

Well, some may not find the rehearsals appealing, but the material from Western should have a pretty broad appeal. Seeing that Burbank 68 has always been a strong selling popular FTD title, this new release should fall right in line.

Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:46 am

I wanted this one bad and knowing Kevan Budd has his stamp on it makes me want it even more. Can't wait to receive mine!

Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:50 am

the cd will be good. over another vegas 1974 concert from the fall.

Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:20 am

the cd will be good. over another vegas 1974 concert from the fall.

You think? :wink:

Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:26 am

Budd mastering this is a very good sign. Who mixed it? Someone other than Ferrante?

Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:22 am

Well, Keith, I'm looking forward to getting my copy.

With all due respect to fellow fans (and I'm collecting plenty of live imports from the '70s as well), where does anyone get off in anyway not wanting such a disc from '68?

His voice is "too" rough? "Too" bluesy? :lol:

This is a stone classic and I haven't even heard it yet. :D

Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:38 am

This was the "second" great vocal era -- after the elated 50's singer and before the thick 70's soul singer (and I mean late 70's on better cuts like "Hurt" and "Danny Boy"). Then again, there is also the smooth 1960-1962 voice and suddenly-aching 1966 singer (e.g. "Suppose", "Indescribably Blue") to consider. With Elvis, it's always about one thing... and then it blossoms into so much more.

Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:38 am

Exactly, and well said. Why not embrace all of it, or as much as possible?

And like some of the Sun material, it's less processed and more ragged (perhaps) but it's rewarding if you dig into it. '68 definitely conjurs the sound of what Bob Dylan called the feeling of busting out of jail in reference to first hearing Elvis. That's harder to find, in say, 1974.

I don't like placing one era against another, as I find much to like from all of them. But as I get closer to owning my 67th separate performance of the dive-bomber routine or the '70's "Hound Dog," anything "new" on '68 is pretty welcome! :lol:

Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:12 pm

This is just a fine release with 15 great outtakes. But what happened with Elvis' his voice at the end of "If I Can Dream", take 4 ? Oeps...way out of tune there I guess...lol. But it's an outtake....It Hurts Me, Saved, Let Yourself Go sounds just great ! Don't care for the rehearsals though for the simple fact that I had them all ready for years on the bootleg From Bubank to Vegas....more then 20 minutes of material that I allready have...but ok...I think it's special for someone that listen to this rehearsal for the first time. But I rather had more outtakes instead of this rehearsal. The outtakes are beautiful !!

Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:30 pm

So with this great release the 68 special has become full circle, both as cd's and dvd's i guess :cry: What ya think?

Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:46 pm

IMO this is an essential release from an essential session.

A must have for collectors...another milestone....

Thumbs up, Ernst.....well done...!!!!!!!!!!

Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:30 pm

monkboughtlunch wrote:Budd mastering this is a very good sign. Who mixed it? Someone other than Ferrante?

Hopefully not Chris Theis from Sony Studios, who mixed the Memphis '74 FTD!

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:39 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Still waiting for my cd :( :(, I can´t wait :wink: :wink:. But before it arrives, does anybody know who already has received his cd, what will be the next cd´s releases on FTD? :roll: :roll:. I ask this because they are supposed to be released in November :? :?. I hope it is the The Nashville 1971 cd. Thank you!! :) :).

Mike Windgren.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:50 pm

I hope it is the The Nashville 1971 cd. Thank you!!

At one point, it had been mentioned it would be a Classic Album Series release of 'His Hand In Mine' as well as a cd/book release.

Anyone know if this is still the case?

Don't plan on a Nashville 1971 release.