All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:12 am

TJ wrote:
Promocollector wrote:I think he says "Terrible. Elvis, has left the building" Seems to fit.

He definitely replies with "Elvis has left the building" but I don't hear the word terrible. Just sounds like "Yeah, Elvis has left the building". I'd guess the other guy (who is too unclear to make out) has asked whether it's all over. Maybe he was expecting an encore. I think you have to want to hear "terrible" to turn the word into that.

Reminds me of the fan comment during the closing theme in Chicago'77:
"Do you think he'll come back?... They always come back"..
"Ladies and gentlemen, Elvis has left the building"
Fan reaction: "Ohhh sh*t!"

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:09 pm

Robert wrote:Reminds me of the fan comment during the closing theme in Chicago'77:

I have not noticed that one - which night?? :)

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:19 pm

BIGREDG wrote:
Robert wrote:Reminds me of the fan comment during the closing theme in Chicago'77:

It's the second Chicago show... very good sound BTW..

Cheers, RJ

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:29 pm

Robert wrote:
BIGREDG wrote:

It's the second Chicago show... very good sound BTW..

Cheers, RJ

Didnt know this either. Checked it, and yes. Also, the sound isnt that bad as the first night.

What did this fan think of Elvis?

Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:39 pm

TJ wrote: "He definitely replies with "Elvis has left the building" but I don't hear the word terrible. Just sounds like "Yeah, Elvis has left the building". I'd guess the other guy (who is too unclear to make out) has asked whether it's all over. Maybe he was expecting an encore. I think you have to want to hear "terrible" to turn the word into that."

Not true I'm afraid. Looks like I'm going to have to lend you my 'Jamie Summers earpiece,' or failing that a decent hi-fi.

You're not listening to it on the car stereo by any chance, are you?.....Just checking.

Any more ideas anyone?

Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:43 pm

I thought I had first dibs on the Jamie Summers ear peice Mike!!! :lol:

I have just played the segment on repeat 10 times and it sounds like "terrible, Elvis has left the building" - I am on my PC with Audigy 5.1 sound which is a pretty good system. I tried headphones but that was no better.

I am ripping the track now, and am going into wave editor to see what I can do with it, but I have not got much experience messing with wav files.

I am seriously interested in examing this show as you can probably tell from my Chaos thread!!

Re: What did this fan think of Elvis?

Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:01 pm

Mike S wrote:TJ wrote: "He definitely replies with "Elvis has left the building" but I don't hear the word terrible. Just sounds like "Yeah, Elvis has left the building". I'd guess the other guy (who is too unclear to make out) has asked whether it's all over. Maybe he was expecting an encore. I think you have to want to hear "terrible" to turn the word into that."

Not true I'm afraid. Looks like I'm going to have to lend you my 'Jamie Summers earpiece,' or failing that a decent hi-fi.

You're not listening to it on the car stereo by any chance, are you?.....Just checking.

Any more ideas anyone?

No, listening on the PC with an excellent sound card and good quality headphones. Are you suggesting he doesn't say "Elvis has left the building"? If you're that sure about the word "terrible", then you have your answer, because it's definitely followed by "Elvis has left the building". If you don't hear that part, I can't imagine how you are picking up "terrible".

Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:31 pm

Just spent an hour messing with a 10 second wav file, adjusting frequencies, normalizing, switching stuff all over the place!!!!

Still inconclusive though. The clearest sound was just taking the bass to zero and boosting the treble to max.

"And You" or "Andrew" "terrible (?) ......Elvis has left the building."

That is all that is discernible, and there is no way you can conclude that this is a criticism of the show the 2 guys have just watched. It just might be, but that does not make much sense in the context of the few words we can make out

You really have to be looking for it to mean that to include it in a review of the CD IMO.

If anyone wants my file, just pm or email me and I will send it. I don't know where to upload it - I tried You Tube, but that is strictly video files.

"Tellingly, some subdued audience members can be heard in conversation, just before the announcement, one of whom appears to suggest that this show has been ‘terrible’. This is the first time I have ever heard overtly negative comments captured on tape at a live show which could also be deeply significant." Hmmm!!!

Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:34 pm

BIGREDG wrote:Just spent an hour messing with a 10 second wav file, adjusting frequencies, normalizing, switching stuff all over the place!!!!

Still inconclusive though. The clearest sound was just taking the bass to zero and boosting the treble to max.

"And You" or "Andrew" "terrible (?) ......Elvis has left the building."

That is all that is discernible, and there is no way you can conclude that this is a criticism of the show the 2 guys have just watched. It just might be, but that does not make much sense in the context of the few words we can make out

You really have to be looking for it to mean that to include it in a review of the CD IMO.

If anyone wants my file, just pm or email me and I will send it. I don't know where to upload it - I tried You Tube, but that is strictly video files.

"Tellingly, some subdued audience members can be heard in conversation, just before the announcement, one of whom appears to suggest that this show has been ‘terrible’. This is the first time I have ever heard overtly negative comments captured on tape at a live show which could also be deeply significant." Hmmm!!!

The same guys can be heard after "I got a woman".
The word again is "terrible"
Give it a listen, it's there. It's more obvious than during the closing theme..

Did you already notice that Bigred?

Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:41 pm

Robert wrote:The same guys can be heard after "I got a woman".

I have heard tell of it, but not had the time to track it down on the Cd and give it my full attention!! Too busy studying the initial dialogue.

Where exactly is it ? - I'll have a good listen in the morning.

Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:45 pm

BIGREDG wrote:

I have heard tell of it, but not had the time to track it down on the Cd and give it my full attention!! Too busy studying the initial dialogue.

Where exactly is it ? - I'll have a good listen in the morning.

Right down the end of the song.. can't check it right now.
I'll get back to this.. tomorrow.

Cheers, RJ

Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:57 am

well i couldn't hear 'terrible' at concert END, but i have heard it after I GOT A WOMAN/AMEN....and i agree that song WAS performed terribly!!

Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:01 am

Thank you Robert and especially to you Bigredg for your extraordinary commitment to crack this.

I wish you luck and await your conclusions.

Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:33 am

The word again is "terrible" Give it a listen, it's there. It's more obvious than during the closing theme..

Maybe it's another show they're talking about during those two segments. Yeah, that must be it.

Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:02 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
The word again is "terrible" Give it a listen, it's there. It's more obvious than during the closing theme..

Maybe it's another show they're talking about during those two segments. Yeah, that must be it.

DJC, have a check of your cd and let me know whereabouts the first "terrible" comes and I'll look into it. I like to evaluate all available evidence.

Oh, yeah I forgot, you have not bothered to get a copy for your own scholarly evaluation.......I'll have to find it myself. Lucky it is such a clear recording - should be easy to find.

Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:12 pm

It is immediately after the song finally ends. I hear terrible. Now I must chop this one out and have a fiddle to see if I can isolate any other words!!!

If the guy is referring to I Got A Woman/Amen he will get no arguement from me!!! As I said in my initial review this was tedium extraordinaire!! By this point we are 15 minutes into the show, and to all intents and purposes the "show" has not even begun!!
Not unusual though I am afraid as any collector of live shows 1974-77 will know. I have said in the past that I think this was a real time waster of an opening - just an extended warm up and a bit of an insult to the crowds IMO.

I like the cd on the whole, but skip the first 3 tracks every time now!!

Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:28 pm

I have the short excerpt ripped as an MP3 if anyone feels like straining their ears!!! (this is the bit directly after I Got A Woman).

I hear terrible, and then there is more but very indistinct. I will try headphones this PM

Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:32 pm

Thanks for your continued effort Bigredg.

Even though we have ended (maybe temporarily) our discussion on the other thread, I'm still dying to have this one resolved.

Good luck

Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:17 pm

Having analysed this again with my wife and 16 year old (whose ears may be better than mine!!) I am pretty sure of what I hear, but have yet to make sense of it really.

Sounds like someone says "Terrible" (same guy as at the end) and someone else (same guy who says Elvis has left the building at the end) says "so great man".

I guess the guys are not talking to each other, maybe one is to the left of the taper and the other is maybe behind, in front or to the right!!

What terrible refers to I cannot say. My wife thinks she hears "I can't see anything" but I don't hear that.

I will listen to some more of this section, as I swear I heard the "terrible" guy say something about tickets a little later on.

Watch this space (if anyone actually gives a rats ass!!! :wink: )

Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:31 pm

Yeah, immediately after Elvis says "If you don't believe me you're on the wrong track, Jack" there is an altercation going on around the taper about tickets, and in particular seat 7!!

I reckon someone was in the wrong seat (possibly because their seat give a terrible view??) and a steward has to come over and demand to see the ticket. Bits are masked because there is actually a show goin' on too, but it sounds like a problem with seating rather than the show to me. I guess the guy was still pi##ed at the end of the show!! I know I would be!!

Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:25 pm

BIGREDG wrote:Yeah, immediately after Elvis says "If you don't believe me you're on the wrong track, Jack" there is an altercation going on around the taper about tickets, and in particular seat 7!!

I reckon someone was in the wrong seat (possibly because their seat give a terrible view??) and a steward has to come over and demand to see the ticket. Bits are masked because there is actually a show goin' on too, but it sounds like a problem with seating rather than the show to me. I guess the guy was still pi##ed at the end of the show!! I know I would be!!

Maybe these guys were seated behind the stage. As Elvis' concerts were presented in a 360 degrees view, thousands ended up behind the stage.

Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:34 pm

Robert wrote:Maybe these guys were seated behind the stage. As Elvis' concerts were presented in a 360 degrees view, thousands ended up behind the stage.

Could be. The "Turn Around Gang" as Elvis dubbed them!!!!

Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:23 pm

Bigredg: Just so you're not the only one left pondering this 'vital' link in our previous discussion, I have given it another go.

The best I can come up with is: "Terrible! Elvis was slack, Shull."

This is on the basis that 'slack' pronounced in an American accent can sound like 's-e-lack' and Shull (or something that sounds like it) is the other guy's name or nickname.

Not convinced? Nor am I on re-listening. (edited post)

As you can tell, the 'Jamie Summer's earpiece' is badly in need of a service.

Re: What did this fan think of Elvis?

Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:56 pm

Mike S wrote:TJ wrote: "He definitely replies with "Elvis has left the building" but I don't hear the word terrible. Just sounds like "Yeah, Elvis has left the building". I'd guess the other guy (who is too unclear to make out) has asked whether it's all over. Maybe he was expecting an encore. I think you have to want to hear "terrible" to turn the word into that."

Any more ideas anyone?

TJ's got it right!! I think you need new ears, let alone a new earpiece!!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: