All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

What did this fan think of Elvis?

Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:04 pm

On the recent Straight Arrow title-- CHAOS IN COLLEGE PARK, some fans can be heard discussing Elvis' performance just before the closing announcement (Track 25, between 2.46-2.50)

One fan turns to the other and says what sounds like, "And your view?" The other answers, " Terrible. Elvis was.........."

Can anyone decipher what this fan actually says? It sounds like 'selecshow', which of course makes no sense.

Anyone up for this? A training in undercover espionage would obviously help, or failing that , possibly a familiarity with American slang.

Good luck and thanks to anyone who may be able to help.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: What did this fan think of Elvis?

Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:21 pm

Mike S wrote:One fan turns to the other and says what sounds like, "And yor view?" The other answers, " Terrible. Elvis was"

Was the fan Yoda??

To

Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:11 pm

I think the fan says: "Elvis was much better today compared to That´s The Way It Is".

:lol:

Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:29 pm

Mike S wrote:On the recent Straight Arrow title-- CHAOS IN COLLEGE PARK, some fans can be heard discussing Elvis' performance just before the closing announcement (Track 25, between 2.46-2.50)

One fan turns to the other and says what sounds like, "And yor view?" The other answers, " Terrible. Elvis was.........."

Can anyone decipher what this fan actually says? It sounds like 'selecshow', which of course makes no sense.

Anyone up for this? A training in undercover espionage would obviously help, or failing that , possibly a familiarity in American slang.

sick show ? not selecshow.

I dunno. :(

Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:32 pm

Renan wrote:I think the fan says: "Elvis was much better today compared to That´s The Way It Is".

:lol:

Nah, I am pretty sure that he says "you wait, tomorrow will be 10 times worse than this! - terrible"

I am going to clean my ears out (yuk!!) and have one more try on my headphones to decipher this conversation later tonight.

Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:34 pm

Mike S wrote:On the recent Straight Arrow title-- CHAOS IN COLLEGE PARK, some fans can be heard discussing Elvis' performance just before the closing announcement (Track 25, between 2.46-2.50)

One fan turns to the other and says what sounds like, "And yor view?" The other answers, " Terrible. Elvis was.........."

Anyone up for this? A training in undercover espionage would obviously help, or failing that , possibly a familiarity in American slang.

The word "terrible" could be about anything. Seats, sound or even about the upcoming traffic jam (or the looks of the lady in front of them) :wink:

It's too easy to link the word terrible to Elvis' performance, but it is possible of course.
Have listened to it a couple of times, I am affraid I don't have the answer :(

Cheers, RJ

Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:55 pm

Some great replies--I especially appreciate the humour after the serious discussion we have had on the other thread.

Steve_M: I thought you'd cracked it for a moment, but sadly not. Nice try though.

Robert: the reason I think it is highly likely that this 'terrible' verdict applies to Elvis is because this fan immediately qualifies his remark with a comment beginning, "Elvis was..."

Bigredg: Good luck for later.

In the meantime, my thanks to all who have replied--Anyone else want to try? Think of the esteem and adulation you'll receive if you win through....then again....well go on try anyway.

Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:38 pm

Mike S wrote:Some great replies--I especially appreciate the humour after the serious discussion we have had on the other thread.

Steve_M: I thought you'd cracked it for a moment, but sadly not. Nice try though.

Robert: the reason I think it is highly likely that this 'terrible' verdict applies to Elvis is because this fan immediately qualifies his remark with a comment beginning, "Elvis was..."

Bigredg: Good luck for later.

In the meantime, my thanks to all who have replied--Anyone else want to try? Think of the esteem and adulation you'll receive if you win through....then again....well go on try anyway.

Mike, we may never find out those last words, but:
I remember hearing those guys talking during other spots of this concert.
If we're able to translate that other information, the word "terrible" can be put in the right perspective.

I'll give it another spin in the car tomorrow, it is no punishment :wink:

Cheers, RJ

Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:03 pm

Robert: Thanks for being such a sport but I don't hold out much hope for success on the CAR stereo. In a perfectly quiet room with one finger poised on the rewind button and a leap of inspiration, maybe.

Still don't let me put you off.... Good luck!

Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:36 pm

Mike S wrote:... the reason I think it is highly likely that this 'terrible' verdict applies to Elvis is because this fan immediately qualifies his remark with a comment beginning, "Elvis was..." ...

Why is it you're the only one to make this connection? Maybe this subject is a little too difficult for some to grasp.

When my copy arrives, I'll review this segment and answer your query.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:09 am

Thanks DJC

I'll look forward to your conclusion, unless of course others here manage to solve it in their cars on the way to work tomorrow!

Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:25 am

He says: "Elvis was selling short".

Charlie Hodge obviously had a FOR SALE sign on him during the performance.... :D

Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:32 am

Great try SLGM

I really thought you might have solved it. Not quite right though.

Thanks for an inspired attempt

Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:34 pm

Tom in North Carolina wrote:
Mike S wrote:One fan turns to the other and says what sounds like, "And yor view?" The other answers, " Terrible. Elvis was"

Was the fan Yoda??

To

:lol: Great comment, Tom. You made me laugh with that one.

Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:58 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Why is it you're the only one to make this connection? Maybe this subject is a little too difficult for some to grasp.

When my copy arrives, I'll review this segment and answer your query.

No need for the insults DJC - you have displayed a singular lack of intelligence bordering on insanity at times on this subject - don't forget this classic -

"Please ... stop ... you're hurting Elvis ... you're hurting the MB ... you're hurting America ... with your irrational rhetoric ... please ... stop ..."

Hope America is coping ok you loon!!

Maybe Mike is the only one equipped with Jamie Summers ear piece :lol:

I only managed to pick up the word terrible (just).

It's been out for a month now DJC. Where's your copy got to? It's going to be great to read your scholarly review.

Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:26 am

Yes Bigred, it's rather mind boggling, John Boy's staunch stance on this subject, when one considers he has not even heard the audio from the show, instead, relying on thirdhand accounts of a three, maybe four people present. :?

Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:51 am

Larry, my mind is well and truly boggled!!! Hope he gets it soon - he can't have many friends if it has taken this long for him to get a listen!!

I have thought long and hard about why DJC feels the need to persist in so vehemently condemning the show, when hundreds of fans agree that the show sounds much better than expected!!

It's not like anybody has said "actually it's a great show"; just that it is a way better listen than we have been led to expect, and irrefutably not cut short, short introductions and unintelligble.

The first 2 of these myth busting FACTS do not even require a listen of the CD!!!!

He talks of lawyers like he knows the law, but if testimony is wrong on such fundamentals any court in my country would chuck it out, and I imagine the USA works in much the same way. Maybe in Iran or North Korea things may be different!!

Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:20 pm

Err....sorry to interupt your digressions but has anyone had any brainwaves regarding this unclear dialogue?

Any further ideas anyone?

Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:32 pm

Mike S wrote:Err....sorry to interupt your digressions but has anyone had any brainwaves regarding this unclear dialogue?

No worries. Sorry for the digression, but we can't let the "Doc" get away with flinging insults around.

My ears/equipment are not up to the task. Is there a PC programme that can adjust frequencies, and maybe bring the dialogue more to the fore??

Failing that, the Doc has promised to unlock the secrets when the tortoise that is delivering his copy finally arrives at the clinic!!!
Last edited by BigredG on Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:09 pm

Mike S wrote:Err....sorry to interupt your digressions but has anyone had any brainwaves regarding this unclear dialogue?

Apologies for the attempted hijacking, Mike.........

As for the fan/s comment/s.....inconclusive, to my ears......sorry.

Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:42 pm

No problems and thank you to you both for trying.

I thought for a moment that it could be: "Elvis was....n't special," but that doesn't fit either.

The mystery continues...

Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:51 pm

Hey Mike can you post the audio?

Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:06 am

Brad: Unfortunately I'm not sure how to post the audio or whether the resultant clarity would be good enough in any case.

However I can assure you that this release is interesting and therefore worth tracking down if you can find a source.

Thanks for your interest though.

Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:18 am

I think he says "Terrible. Elvis, has left the building" Seems to fit.

Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:47 am

Promocollector wrote:I think he says "Terrible. Elvis, has left the building" Seems to fit.

He definitely replies with "Elvis has left the building" but I don't hear the word terrible. Just sounds like "Yeah, Elvis has left the building". I'd guess the other guy (who is too unclear to make out) has asked whether it's all over. Maybe he was expecting an encore. I think you have to want to hear "terrible" to turn the word into that.