All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:55 pm

Marko wrote:Aloha From Hawaii was worse and that photo didn't either come from the actual show.

RCA never released a mainstream album that had a photo from the actual concert on the cover of the live albums. That feat wasn't accomplished until the 90's when "An Afternoon In The Garden" was released. That one was the very first.

It's a shame that all of those studio albums had jumpsuited pics on the cover, but there never was much work put into any of the covers.

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:04 pm

Rob wrote:
Marko wrote:Aloha From Hawaii was worse and that photo didn't either come from the actual show.

RCA never released a mainstream album that had a photo from the actual concert on the cover of the live albums.

True.

I might be wrong but I seem to remember that Elvis Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis TN was supposed to have a photo from the actual concert but the guy taking pictures messed up and the photos didn't come out right. That's why they had Ed Bonja to come to Memphis and photograph Graceland. I think Bonja mentioned it in some interview.

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:39 pm

Marko wrote:...They didn't have the time to do it properly. I think the album hit the streets only about 10 days after the show...

How much time would they need to develop a shot from that show? They knew it was going to be a rush to put out the product. The cover shot never occurred to them in preparation of the release?

Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:46 pm

Axeman wrote:Col. Parker always seemed to pick the worst shots for album covers in the 70's...

That is true for some, but I always fancied this shot...

Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:10 pm

KHoots wrote:
Marko wrote:...They didn't have the time to do it properly. I think the album hit the streets only about 10 days after the show...

How much time would they need to develop a shot from that show? They knew it was going to be a rush to put out the product. The cover shot never occurred to them in preparation of the release?

I guess they were just being lazy. "Hey, we have this layout ready for Standing Room Only, why bother to come up with a new cover when we can just change the text?" Colonel who, as I understand, choose the cover pics certainly didn't give a dam whether the picture game from a correct show. I mean this is a guy who insisted to release Elvis's biggest hit in years (Burning Love) on a Camden record with some of Elvis' weakest recordings! It was all about making money. Fast. I think Elvis and Colonel made 1,2 million dollars with Madison Square Garden concerts when counting in the record royalties. In '72 that was one hell of paycheck for singing about 6 hours!

Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:15 pm

Marko: Is this your "worst" Elvis moment?? (oops, that another thread). So the cover shot didn't match the event. Big deal!! I don't think that detracted from sales. The "idea" was to get the album out on the streets to take advantage of the event still being fresh in the buyer's mind. It worked. Of course it was about the money. The "Colonel" had a bad gambling habit he needed to feed. Elvis had "other" problems.

Hey!! The Burning Love, Movie Hits album thing has been beat to death. Give it a rest.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:38 pm

JerryNodak wrote: Marko: Is this your "worst" Elvis moment?? (oops, that another thread).

Actually, no. It was someone else who had issue with this. I think MSG is OK.

JerryNodak wrote:
So the cover shot didn't match the event. Big deal!! I don't think that detracted from sales. The "idea" was to get the album out on the streets to take advantage of the event still being fresh in the buyer's mind. It worked. Of course it was about the money. The "Colonel" had a bad gambling habit he needed to feed. Elvis had "other" problems.

Yes, they moved fast and it worked.

JerryNodak wrote:Hey!! The Burning Love, Movie Hits album thing has been beat to death. Give it a rest.

I don't know what to think of this. I don't think I have brought up this issue on a regular base but I do think it was a major mistake from artistic point of view.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:16 pm

I only mentioned it because you did. If you read this board even semi-regularly you know the Burning Love, Hits From His Movie album hits a sore spot with lots of fans. It's mention quite often (though not by you).

We'll never know if it was an artistic blunder because the album as evisioned by many fans never came to pass. Even if it had there is no absolute guarantee that it would have been a blockbuster. I'm not sure that even I would have bought it. Afterall I would have already owned
Burning Love/It's A Matter Of Time and Separate Ways/Always On My Mind on stereo singles.

Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:39 pm

JerryNodak wrote:I only mentioned it because you did. If you read this board even semi-regularly you know the Burning Love, Hits From His Movie album hits a sore spot with lots of fans. It's mention quite often (though not by you)..

OK, I don't read every thread so I don't know if it's been brought up several times before.

JerryNodak wrote:We'll never know if it was an artistic blunder because the album as evisioned by many fans never came to pass. Even if it had there is no absolute guarantee that it would have been a blockbuster. I'm not sure that even I would have bought it. Afterall I would have already owned
Burning Love/It's A Matter Of Time and Separate Ways/Always On My Mind on stereo singles.

We never know for sure if it would have been a big hit but I think it's pretty obvious that it would have a pretty good album. Certainly a better one than the Camden album. Besides I believe the Camden record sold very well with just crap on it just because it had Burning Love in it. It reached #22 on Billboard album list which is better than some of Elvis's regular studio albums and sold enough for a gold record award.

Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:44 am

elvis-fan wrote:What's wrong with this shot? I know it's from April but he looks pretty good in this pic...

That photo that is on As Recorded Live At Madison Square Garden is indeed from the April 72 tour. The date is April 16, 1972 Jacksonville, FL. As some have said that that was originally going to be on the LP Standing Room Only. But it was scrap and appear as you see on the MSG Lp. One member said that Afternoon In The Garden was the first album to feature a concert photo that is from the show that is on the cd. That is true. The next one was Aloha From Hawaii edition from 1997. The Alternate Aloha feature that exact same picture that is featured on The Legendary Performer Vol 1. That photo is from not the rehearsal show but from the Aloha From Hawaii show.

Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:53 am

Joe Car wrote:
administrator wrote:PEP,

The information from J about the suits worn is correct. Elvis didn't wear the suit on the cover of MSG album during any of the shows from the June 1972 tour.

The book from Erik-Skarr is correct about the suit for June 11th but in error for the cape.

FECC Team

How could RCA be so ignorant as to do this? It's not even a good picture of our guy. As this thread has shown us, there are countless of great photos they could have used for that album cover. These are the things that piss me off about the Colonel and RCA, they're lack of attention to detail when it came to EP's work. Just slap on any picture of Elvis, he will sell records anyway, frickin a--holes. To me, they didn't deserve to have him as a client.

A. I like the photo used on the MSG album. At least he doesn't look
pudgey like on the Afternoon At The Garden cover.

B. Selling records WAS what it was all about. No sell. No money.

Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:29 pm

Actually I like the cover on Afternoon in the Garden. He doesn't look pudgey in the picture. He look as normal as he did in 72. But that is me.