Ed Sullivan Show DVDs

All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

When it comes to Elvis and his music I'm much more of a listener than a watcher. But I must admit that I can't wait to watch these Sullivan show DVDs. Not only for Elvis' perfomances, but also for all the other marvellous
entertainment.

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Registered for: 21 years

Post by ekenee »

I read the story and that sounds just great that some of the performances will have better overall sound. But will this upset the contintuity of the program?

By that I mean, won't the sound be the regular sound, then suddenly jump up in quality for the 1955 segment, then go back down when you go back to the 1956 show?

General Sarnoff
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by General Sarnoff »

Well, there's undeniably a difference in quality and dynamic range (which is why I used the material in the first place! :) ), but I also did some tonal matching to minimize the transitions, which were done with smooth crossfades, rather than abrupt edits.

-Kevin

ekenee

Post by ekenee »

Thanks for the reply. I have been waiting decades for this release.
I am looking forward to the day I can discard my bootleg VHS tape of these shows.

RKSNASHVILLE

Post by RKSNASHVILLE »

Kevin,

Thanks for that great story. This gives me hope that someone has the old reels of Elvis' early 50's recordings that are thought to be lost.

Maybe, just maybe they too will turn up some day.

We can hope.

RKS

General Sarnoff
Registered for: 18 years 2 months

Post by General Sarnoff »

Well I hope so, too-- the nice thing is that projects like this sometimes do shake things out that might have been seen or heard otherwise.

Even though it's not **quite** as high-quality as the "Will Jordan" material, the tape reel I found that has Elvis' 1/6/57 performances is a good example. And again, the sound from that recording was considerably better than the original kinescope track, so it's been folded into the mix, as well. As with the Jordan piece, the key is to smoothing the transitions as much as possible, so that the change in audio quality isn't jarring.

Sure is a nice upgrade, though-- those of you who have a copy of the "Ed Sullivan Rock 'n' Roll classics, Vol. 4" will be surprised at the changes, I think!

And to those of you who have only ever seen bootlegs of the kinescopes-- well, you're in for a **real** treat! :)

-Kevin

Deke Rivers II
Registered for: 19 years 11 months

Post by Deke Rivers II »

Kevin,
Now you have me anxiously waiting the story about the Better Audio from Elvis and how it came about............. :D

Topic author
Buffalo Wings

Post by Buffalo Wings »

Thanks to Kevin for all the detailed replies to my original posting and
all that was added from everyone else! You guys are so forthcoming
with information and knowledge that for me, an Elvis collector but
not hard core, anything I learn from you all is appreciated!

This DVD is a must have for not only Elvis fans, but I think anyone
interested in rock and roll and it's history!

Regards,
Buffalo Wings
:)

"Broadsword calling Danny Boy, over?"

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Thought this might be the right thread to point out that Ed Sullivan died 32 years ago today [Fri.].

He was 73 years old and succumbed to cancer.

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

drjohncarpenter

Re: Ed Sullivan Show DVDs

Post by drjohncarpenter »

Worth a second look.

Fourteen years later, still the finest restoration of Elvis Presley on 1950s television.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Ryan73
Registered for: 13 years 4 months

Re: Ed Sullivan Show DVDs

Post by Ryan73 »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:26 pm
Worth a second look.

Fourteen years later, still the finest restoration of Elvis Presley on 1950s television.
A real sore point with me that they haven't done more of these type of releases in regards to his 50s appearances.