All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:21 am

But as mentioned in this thread - that was then.

Not that anyone has said any specific time frame for his height, but carrying around any excess weight on the stomach over a period of time can cause compression in the spine and cause a person to shrink, so at the time of his death Elvis could have been 5' 11".

I believe Elvis was less than 5' tall - but that's when he was 5 years old :lol:

Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:59 am

On Aug 7th 1956 St Petersburgh, Florida Elvis is interviewed by Bob Hoffer - his wife Joanna, Scotty, Bill and DJ are there.

After Elvis "WHOOA"! s Bobs wife, to much laughter, Bob then goes on to say that he was impressed by how tall Elvis was. Elvis says he is "an even 6ft". Given that Elvis seemed to get facts correct at this time in his life and was someone who played himself down when complimented during those 50's interviews - it would seem he was at least 6 foot and he might have been embarrassed to say 6ft 0.5 inches and just said an even 6ft.

Another point (ref TTWII Outtakes)- if you see Elvis backstage as one of the show ends he walks along side Sonny West and looks to be no shorter than Sonny. I had my photo taken standing next to Sonny and he clearly looks taller than me and I am 6ft 2 inches. Given that Elvis was wearing heels at these shows it would seem Elvis was no shorter than 6ft.

Saying all this - I wonder if his vocal range would have been better if he was an inch taller :lol: :shock:

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:15 pm

I side more with those who say he was between 5' 11 3/4" and 6 feet. He said himself he was "an even six feet," and when did you ever hear a guy - any guy - understate his height? But except when he's wearing lifts in his shoes he doesn't look overly tall in photos, and certainly not in relation to other people he's photographed with. In one photo on a movie set where Elvis is wearing tennis shoes, he doesn't look all that much taller than Colonel Parker, who was not a particularly tall man. To my eye, Elvis looks six feet tall.

Since full-length photos of Elvis wearing swim trunks and no shoes are readily available, it wouldn't be that hard to calculate his height. All we would need is the known measurement of the width of a stripe or a belt or a watchband he was wearing - anything, really, to give us a benchmark.

In fact, I'm looking right now at just such a full-length photo of Elvis in swim trunks and barefooted, standing with Joan Blackman, and the white trunks have a distinctive contrasting waistband. If those swim trunks still exist, and I imagine they do, and we can get an exact measurement of how wide (high) that contrasting waistband is, we can nail down his height.

Also interesting to me is the fact that, standing sideways without shoes, the, uh, fullest part of Elvis' derriere comes exactly at the halfway point between the top of his scalp (not including his hairdo) and the bottom of his feet. That should simplify calculating his proportions.

I do agree with Cryogenic that the Army listed his height - in bare feet - at 5' 11 3/4". I will be glad to put a few dollars on that bet, anytime, anywhere.

No way was Elvis taller, or even as tall, as Sonny West. Those are lifts in his boots, son.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:17 pm

If I'm not mistaken Elvis claimed he was a even 6 ft
in a 50's radio interview......

Nevertheless its common for people to stretch their
height just a little when asked...no pun intended....

My guess from what I have read he was closer to being
5 11' 3/4 in height.....as what has been stated in this thread.

However here's a nudie measurement from the 50's
done for the Gold Lame' suit documented as his
height being measured at a even 6'ft in stocking feet.....
PEP 8)

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:49 pm

PEP wrote:If I'm not mistaken Elvis claimed he was a even 6 ft
in a 50's radio interview......

Nevertheless its common for people to stretch their
height just a little when asked...no pun intended....

My guess from what I have read he was closer to being
5 11' 3/4 in height.....as what has been stated in this thread.

However here's a nudie measurement from the 50's
done for the Gold Lame' suit documented as his
height being measured at a even 6'ft in stocking feet.....
PEP 8)

Thank you for that, PEP. I knew I had a copy of that somewhere and it appears pretty darn definitive.

And you know you remembered the radio interview where Elvis said he was an even 6 feet.

Interesting that Elvis thought he needed to appear even taller than he was. Bet he hated having to go barefoot in the beach movies. Well, he was a perfectionist who wanted to give us "something good to look at," as he used to say.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:24 pm

Steve_M wrote:But as mentioned in this thread - that was then.

Not that anyone has said any specific time frame for his height, but carrying around any excess weight on the stomach over a period of time can cause compression in the spine and cause a person to shrink, so at the time of his death Elvis could have been 5' 11".

I believe Elvis was less than 5' tall - but that's when he was 5 years old :lol:

True enough, he could have shrunk by the time of his death, but really we're talking about his normal adult height before any shrinkage that might have been associated with age/weight.

Memphisflash, I'm not sure there were lifts in the boots when he was next to Sonny. I think the extra height probably just comes from the large heel. Not sure he could have moved around as well as he did on stage in 70/71 with the hindrance of lifts.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:31 pm

TJ wrote:Memphisflash, I'm not sure there were lifts in the boots when he was next to Sonny. I think the extra height probably just comes from the large heel. Not sure he could have moved around as well as he did on stage in 70/71 with the hindrance of lifts.

Oh I think you're right, TJ. I forgot about the large heel. The big heels combined with the low camera perspective made Elvis look so odd on Elvis On Tour.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:34 pm

Memphis Flash wrote:
TJ wrote:Memphisflash, I'm not sure there were lifts in the boots when he was next to Sonny. I think the extra height probably just comes from the large heel. Not sure he could have moved around as well as he did on stage in 70/71 with the hindrance of lifts.

Oh I think you're right, TJ. I forgot about the large heel. The big heels combined with the low camera perspective made Elvis look so odd on Elvis On Tour.

I think also a little too much is made of him wearing them for extra height, rather than for fashion. Half the band wore them. There's some good candid footage of the band on the recent Blue Hawaii 72 DVD and John Wilkinson's heels look larger than Elvis' :)

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:25 pm

I don't get the term "an even 6' ". what's "an uneven 6' " ?

does it mean to the nearest integer ?

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:46 pm

Steve_M wrote:I don't get the term "an even 6' ". what's "an uneven 6' " ?

does it mean to the nearest integer ?

Have a listen to the interview - its about a minute into where Elvis says this - see what you think?

Having a guess Elvis means he is 6ft - no more - no less?

Note (not to Steve_M) My earlier post doesn't suggest that Elvis was as tall as Sonny West but with heels on he was because you can see Elvis walking along side Sonny in the footage. Someone help me out here with the date of that TTWII Outtake footage - might be the shot with the big bouncing breast girl backstage - which I am sure has been noticed by everyone??

Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:52 pm

I'm not convinced Lester.

an even 6' means 6' no more no less, but 6' means anything but 6' ? That can't be right. Is it an American term or has this travelled to wider use ?

Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:00 pm

Steve, I think some people just want Elvis to be taller than he really was. It's one of these demi-god things. It's too hard for some people to imagine that he wasn't particularly tall (but nor was he short). We can't all be 6'3". :P

Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:10 pm

Steve_M wrote:I'm not convinced Lester.

an even 6' means 6' no more no less, but 6' means anything but 6' ? That can't be right. Is it an American term or has this travelled to wider use ?

Never mind about that Steve - what about the girl with the BBB'S?

Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:11 pm

:shock:

Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:25 pm

Cryogenic wrote::shock:

Read the foot note of my post that Steve replied to or were just shocked? :lol:

Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:31 pm

Surely it all depends on how high Elvis's quiff was :lol:

Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:40 pm

LesterB wrote:
Cryogenic wrote::shock:

Read the foot note of my post that Steve replied to or were just shocked? :lol:

Shocked! :lol:

For effect. :wink:

Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:46 pm

Cryogenic wrote:Steve, I think some people just want Elvis to be taller than he really was. It's one of these demi-god things. It's too hard for some people to imagine that he wasn't particularly tall (but nor was he short). We can't all be 6'3". :P

Sounds to me he was just the right height.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:18 pm

In the 77' CBS Special, Elvis looks like he's 200cm. He's a man mountain.
:smt032 :smt035

Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:20 pm

Memphis Flash wrote: In one photo on a movie set where Elvis is wearing tennis shoes, he doesn't look all that much taller than Colonel Parker, who was not a particularly tall man. To my eye, Elvis looks six feet tall.

Well,Parker's Widow has recently said in an interview,that Parker was 6 feet tall at a very young age,he was able to appear older for Jobs,etc.. Elvis has never looked any shorter than Parker.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:27 pm

Cryogenic wrote:
And the army records indicate that he was, at the time of measurement, 5'11"3/4.

You may all continue with your fantasies, but the facts have been given.

But look at the footage and the photographs and you'll see the 6' 1/2 is spot on.Elvis's head was NOT below the 6' line,and was NOT above 6'.1,it was smack bang in between.

Im trying to locate both to post here.

Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:28 am

Something about the Nudie measurement caught my eye. Elvis' shoe size is listed as size 10. On the March 22 Vegas show he says he has size 11 or 12 feet. He then remarks that the "Lord gave me built-in skis" or something like that. Are we to believe his feet grew since 1957?

Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:31 am

Pete Dube wrote:Something about the Nudie measurement caught my eye. Elvis' shoe size is listed as size 10. On the March 22 Vegas show he says he has size 11 or 12 feet. He then remarks that the "Lord gave me built-in skis" or something like that. Are we to believe his feet grew since 1957?

Maybe it varied a little depending on the type of shoe. Weren't his army boots size 11?

Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:34 am

The last time I visited Graceland,20 years ago now,they said Elvis wore a "12 D" shoe.Don't know what the "D" stands for,but I think it's a size 11 in the UK.

Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:20 am

Dan_T wrote:
Memphis Flash wrote: In one photo on a movie set where Elvis is wearing tennis shoes, he doesn't look all that much taller than Colonel Parker, who was not a particularly tall man. To my eye, Elvis looks six feet tall.

Well,Parker's Widow has recently said in an interview,that Parker was 6 feet tall at a very young age,he was able to appear older for Jobs,etc.. Elvis has never looked any shorter than Parker.

Parker does not appear to be six feet. My guess is 5 10.