All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

E's height?

Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:56 pm

According to the Internet Movie Database, his height was 6' 0½" (1.84 m) Right or wrong?

Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:07 pm

Wrong.

Five foot, eleven inches and three quarters. Rounding, that takes you to 6'. But, since they're so "exact" in that measurement, they are out by not just half an inch, but three quarters of an inch.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:22 pm

Cryogenic wrote:Wrong.

Five foot, eleven inches and three quarters. Rounding, that takes you to 6'. But, since they're so "exact" in that measurement, they are out by not just half an inch, but three quarters of an inch.

Hard to say that with certainty. There are various measurements, but really it ends up coming down to arguing over 1/2 inch or so. One collector says that he has documents from the Hollywood studio wardrobe departments, with Elvis being measured at various times from 5'11 3/4 to 6'0. So which do we believe? The answer is probably that both were accurate at the time he was measured - a lot of people don't realise that a person's height will vary during the course of a day by as much as half an inch. When a person first gets up, they are at their peak height and gradually shrink as the day goes on due to the pressure on their spine. The same collector said that army documentation also had Elvis at 5'11 3/4. Other reports suggest he was measured in the army at 6'0 1/2. If the lower height is the true measurement, that's no surprise. Guralnick reports that Elvis didn't sleep the night before the induction. If that's the case, by the time he was measured that day he almost certainly wouldn't have been at his optimum height, which, by that reasoning, was likely 6ft or a tiny bit over. I think it's pretty accurate to say he was an even 6ft.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:07 pm

TJ, it's nothing really to do with whether Elvis slept or not by whether he was laying down or not, if you see what i mean. That said, I'm sure he was pacing back and forth all night anyway.

December 1970 photographic records show Elvis to be closer to 5' 11" than 6' when he was getting some badge or other, I'm sure someone can post the respective pic with Elvis against the measure in that.

Hollywood is more than likely to measure for wardrobe based upon Elvis wearing shoes in his scenes so again that's not going to be very accurate, or at least someones notes or word on it is not as accurate as any photograpic account.

I'm sure the army measuring stick was on or closer to 6' thoutgh......so maybe Elvis had a very sensitive spine.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:10 pm

I cant believe you guys are disagreeing over one inch.

Nowi can understand girls disagreeing. :wink:

Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:38 pm

Steve_M wrote:TJ, it's nothing really to do with whether Elvis slept or not by whether he was laying down or not, if you see what i mean. That said, I'm sure he was pacing back and forth all night anyway.

Well yes, but if he stayed up all night, it's probably reasonable to assume he wasn't laying down in bed for hours.
Steve_M wrote:December 1970 photographic records show Elvis to be closer to 5' 11" than 6' when he was getting some badge or other, I'm sure someone can post the respective pic with Elvis against the measure in that.

I'm familiar with that, but I don't think it gives us an accurate picture. It seems unlikely that Elvis was barefoot in that, as it was done for fun rather than a requirement to get the badge. If in shoes, he's be 5'10 at best barefoot, based on that photo, and it's very clear that is far from the truth.

Steve_M wrote:Hollywood is more than likely to measure for wardrobe based upon Elvis wearing shoes in his scenes so again that's not going to be very accurate, or at least someones notes or word on it is not as accurate as any photograpic account.

But the measurements fit with him being measured barefoot don't they? No one has ever suggested he was less than 5'11 1/2, so shoes would put him easily over 6'0 - probably nearer 6'1. Plus, they match the army measurement, which was barefoot.

Steve_M wrote:I'm sure the army measuring stick was on or closer to 6' thoutgh......so maybe Elvis had a very sensitive spine.

The interesting thing is that I've heard there were two army measurements. One barefoot, putting him at 6'0 1/2 and one with boots putting him at 6'1 3/4. Joe Esposito has confirmed that recruits were measured twice and that Elvis was 6'0 1/2 barefoot. Very hard to know who to believe, but I do think an even 6 foot seems most likely - at least for a 'straight out of bed' height.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:35 pm

Didn't we have this discussion a couple of months ago? :? Oh, well!

In an interview with Bob Hoffer in Florida in August 1956 Elvis says he is 'an even six foot'.

From the horse's mouth so to speak.
:)

Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:47 pm

I pick up my daughter every day at 2:55 PM, if somebody asks me what time do I have to pick her up from school, rather then say 2:55, I say 3:00 PM, it's easier, same thing applies with EP's height. It's easier to say 6', as opposed to 5'11 3/4" inches tall, when asked about height, unless of course he was really 6' tall. Okay, now I'm getting confused! :lol:

Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:30 pm

TJ wrote:
Steve_M wrote:December 1970 photographic records show Elvis to be closer to 5' 11" than 6' when he was getting some badge or other, I'm sure someone can post the respective pic with Elvis against the measure in that.

I'm familiar with that, but I don't think it gives us an accurate picture. It seems unlikely that Elvis was barefoot in that, as it was done for fun rather than a requirement to get the badge. If in shoes, he's be 5'10 at best barefoot, based on that photo, and it's very clear that is far from the truth.

I'm not convinced it was "done for fun" in that Elvis' height would be the same and the measuring stick would be the same whether it was done for fun or not.
Elvis tended to take these things seriously.

TJ wrote:
Steve_M wrote:Hollywood is more than likely to measure for wardrobe based upon Elvis wearing shoes in his scenes so again that's not going to be very accurate, or at least someones notes or word on it is not as accurate as any photograpic account.

But the measurements fit with him being measured barefoot don't they? No one has ever suggested he was less than 5'11 1/2, so shoes would put him easily over 6'0 - probably nearer 6'1. Plus, they match the army measurement, which was barefoot.

Well I've said he's closer to 5' 11" than 6' AND I'm no one.
So yes, no one has suggested it. :wink:

TJ wrote:Joe Esposito has confirmed that recruits were measured twice and that Elvis was 6'0 1/2 barefoot. Very hard to know who to believe, but I do think an even 6 foot seems most likely - at least for a 'straight out of bed' height.

I don't believe Joe. It's not like he was there when Elvis was measured for at least the first time as seen in footage as he hadn't even met Joe at that point.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:39 pm

Joe Car wrote:I pick up my daughter every day at 2:55 PM, if somebody asks me what time do I have to pick her up from school, rather then say 2:55, I say 3:00 PM, it's easier, same thing applies with EP's height. It's easier to say 6', as opposed to 5'11 3/4" inches tall, when asked about height, unless of course he was really 6' tall. Okay, now I'm getting confused! :lol:

I know what you mean, Joe.

It's like when people ask my age, I usually round it up to 30 [cough].

Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:47 pm

Steve_M wrote:I don't believe Joe. It's not like he was there when Elvis was measured for at least the first time as seen in footage as he hadn't even met Joe at that point.

I would never lie! :lol:

Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:49 pm

ColinB wrote:
Joe Car wrote:I pick up my daughter every day at 2:55 PM, if somebody asks me what time do I have to pick her up from school, rather then say 2:55, I say 3:00 PM, it's easier, same thing applies with EP's height. It's easier to say 6', as opposed to 5'11 3/4" inches tall, when asked about height, unless of course he was really 6' tall. Okay, now I'm getting confused! :lol:

I know what you mean, Joe.

It's like when people ask my age, I usually round it up to 30 [cough].

Colin, at least be reasonable, fifty would have been okay, but thirty. I wouldn't go that low and I'm half your age. :lol:

Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:05 pm

Yes,this discussion has been brought up at least 3 times in the last couple of years.

By the photographs,and the footage,where Elvis is being held against the hieght chart,it's clear that the top of his head falls in the middle of the 6" tape line,which would have made him 6"1/2 inch tall.as the bottom of that strip marked the 6 feet mark.

And that's taking his hair into consideration.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:12 am

The man himself tells us his height on one of those august 74 bootleg cd's ( it's eighter Dessert storm or Midnight fever in Vegas). After cc rider he jokes about the low mike stand. Joking it was not ajusted after Jurky Kahoon (his own words) left the stage. He's saying something like : i'm six, one and half. Should be the correct info.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:28 am

philobeddo wrote:The man himself tells us his height on one of those august 74 bootleg cd's ( it's eighter Dessert storm or Midnight fever in Vegas). After cc rider he jokes about the low mike stand. Joking it was not ajusted after Jurky Kahoon (his own words) left the stage. He's saying something like : i'm six, one and half. Should be the correct info.

I think that mic stand needed to be for Elvis' height of 6' 1.5" at the time which (unless Elvis was in his Sandy Shaw period) would have included his heeled boots. If he jokes about Jackie then who knows what else he joked about in the same sentence, hardly concrete info.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:55 am

http://www.celebheights.com/s/Elvis-Presley-638.html

My guess would be that he was 5.11-ish barefoot. I think he was measured barefoot for the army induction around 5.11 3/4. Like most people he probably shrunk a bit as he aged. And was probably closer to 5.11 when he died.

Elvis' height can be misleading as he was known to wear lifts in addition to his 2 inch stage boots. This would put him close to 6.2 in stage gear.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:16 am

Steve_M wrote: don't believe Joe. It's not like he was there when Elvis was measured for at least the first time as seen in footage as he hadn't even met Joe at that point.

Joe wasn't suggesting he was there with Elvis, he was merely saying that he went through the same induction process and they did take two measurements - one barefoot and one in boots. The two rumoured measurements (supposedly from official docs) were not made up by Joe, but he has separately quoted the same barefoot figure. If the real figure Elvis was measured at that day was 5'11 3/4 and he really had been up all night, he was almost certainly 6ft or a little over first thing in the morning.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:19 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:http://www.celebheights.com/s/Elvis-Presley-638.html

My guess would be that he was 5.11-ish barefoot. I think he was measured barefoot for the army induction around 5.11 3/4. Like most people he probably shrunk a bit as he aged. And was probably closer to 5.11 when he died.

Elvis' height can be misleading as he was known to wear lifts in addition to his 2 inch stage boots. This would put him close to 6.2 in stage gear.

And I'd recently made the same points on that site :)

Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:55 am

The great EIN site lists Elvis' height at 5' 11''.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:47 am

Rob V wrote:The great EIN site lists Elvis' height at 5' 11''.

Hmm, based on what? The only time we know for certain that he was officially and properly measured barefoot, he was a minimum 5'11 3/4 and possibly taller. The EIN height can only be based on a guess as there is no official measurement at that height.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:49 am

i believe the 6' 1/2" figure. why? it was done by the army WITHOUT shoes, and it seems the most accurate to me.

so being 6' 1/2" without shoes, would make him 6' 1 3/4" with his army boots and probably a good 6'2" with his boots.

funny, because lisa marie states 6'2" and was most likely referring to how tall her dad stood when he was wearing his shoes that he often wore in the '70s. it makes sense that she would view him as being this height rather than the actual 6' 1/2".

i'll believe army records over people's guesstimates.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:54 am

Elvis' Babe wrote:i'll believe army records over people's guesstimates.

And the army records indicate that he was, at the time of measurement, 5'11"3/4.

You may all continue with your fantasies, but the facts have been given.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:59 am

hmm, funny, because i've seen the army record's figures stating:

6' 1/2" -- without shoes
6' 1 3/4" -- with standard issue army boots

apparently there seems to be two versions of the records.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:07 am

Elvis' Babe wrote:hmm, funny, because i've seen the army record's figures stating:

6' 1/2" -- without shoes
6' 1 3/4" -- with standard issue army boots

apparently there seems to be two versions of the records.

The 5'11 3/4 record I've heard about was mentioned by a collector on the celebheights site who seemed very plausible. I think he said the figure was handwritten. But yes, the above figures are apparantly in the national archive, so hard to know what to believe. In any case, for reasons I have mentioned more than once, that 5'11 3/4 measurement would probably mean his optimum height was 6ft. It doesn't really matter either way of course, but it is one of those pieces of trivia it would be nice to nail down once and for all.

EDIT - incidentally, do you have the book those two heights are in ElvisBabe? It's called The King I think. If that's where you saw the heights, any chance of a scan? :-)

Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:59 am

http://www.celebheights.com/s/Elvis-Presley-638.html

knock yourself out with this discussion, here.

elvis standing in his briefs and socks got those measurements taken of him (as stated above). which is why i tend to believe that data.