All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

"Holding Down The Fort" around the corner

Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:47 am

But if only Jacky was on it, too!

Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:02 am

Just one question...Isn't it the same show that were released as one of the concerts in the FTD issue "Rockin' Across Texas" - without the pre-show extras?

Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:08 am

No. Bits of this show (about 3/4 of it) have been released on "Cajun Tornado".

Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:18 am

kkn wrote:
Just one question...Isn't it the same show that were released as one of the concerts in the FTD issue "Rockin' Across Texas" - without the pre-show extras?


No, Rocking Across Texas is JULY 3rd 1976

Holding Down The Fort is JUNE 3rd 1976, he was in Fort Worth both June & July 3 1976.

Thomas wrote:
No. Bits of this show (about 3/4 of it) have been released on "Cajun Tornado"


The Cajun is from a far lower generation tape than Holding Down The Fort, HDTF is from First Generation tape.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:22 am

Thanks....I just saw that it was a month earlier...oooops. And sorry for this "stupid" question.... :oops:

holding down the

Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:36 pm

... Nice cover design. The yanks will like it, with the red white and blue

and lone star state details. Clever. A shame the photo shows him

as he was during those months... burned out.


Coming comments from the die-hards:

..."burned out? You must be blind!"

... "I think he looks just great!"

... "Best madison yet!"

... "He never looked better!"

... "That suit is just aaawesome!

..."For a moment, I thought it was a photo from Aloha!?"

... [ for our Turkish listeners...] : "Our man good looks, had

looked better maybe had ate more kebab? Feta all good for

him. But he eat not now... he in heaven... many virgins he

focky there...

... Shoot Tallhairy man! He sik in brain! "...

... Yes I is. :?

Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:18 pm

Man, that is like the best shot of Elvis ever - is that from Aloha? or is it Ed Sullivan? :wink: :roll:

This will be the best Madison ever - far better than that ultra short Let It Roll nonsense :wink:

oh, and what a jumpsuit too!!!

Image

Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:53 pm

Now that's a great looking cover. I'll bet it's the best show he ever did. He sure looked good in June 1976.

I absolutely adore that jumpsuit! This absolutely has to be the best Madison release ever (or any other for that matter)!

I'm probably going to buy several copies of this one. I can't wait to hear If You Love Me (Let Me Know). My only regret is that Kathy didn't do a solo on this one.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:13 pm

Rob wrote:My only regret is that Kathy didn't do a solo on this one.


Yeah, that kinda ruins it for me actually :cry: Are we sure Kathy doesn't sneak in a number on disc 1?

Anyhow, gotta love the cover!!! Worth the money just for that.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:18 pm

I wonder if they used a photo from the Ector County Coliseum during Presley' May 30th, 1976 afternoon show, in Odessa, Texas! Anyway, what a beautiful photo that adorns the cover! Cheers!

holding down

Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:36 pm

.... heh heh, you guys are good. Surely must admit that! :lol:

Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:08 pm

BIGREDG wrote:Man, that is like the best shot of Elvis ever - is that from Aloha? or is it Ed Sullivan? :wink: :roll:

This will be the best Madison ever - far better than that ultra short Let It Roll nonsense :wink:

oh, and what a jumpsuit too!!!

Image


WHY THE HELL DID MADISON USE A PIC FROM AUGUST 1970 ON THIS COVER? :twisted:

Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:15 pm

The artwork is good.

Ok it’s not a very flattering image, and personally I was never a fan of that suit.

However, if that’s the way Elvis looked at the time – then that’s the document.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:18 pm

thefunkyangel wrote:I wonder if they used a photo from the Ector County Coliseum during Presley' May 30th, 1976 afternoon show, in Odessa, Texas! Anyway, what a beautiful photo that adorns the cover! Cheers!


It's from Bloomington, Indiana..

Cheers, RJ

Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:11 am

Robert, thanks for 'dating' the photo in question. It is, like always, very much appreciated! Cheers!

Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:26 am

BIGREDG wrote:Image

As Robert pointed out, this photo originates from Bloomington, Indiana . . the first stop (27/5/76) on Presley' May/ June tour.
Image
This being the case, Presley must of taking care of himself (diet) since closing in Tahoe, some three weeks earlier!
Image
It might of had something to do with certain 'confrontations' Presley had to endure during that engagement!

Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:45 pm

Considering the fact that I was the one to create this topic I should have been listening to "Holding Down The Fort" as one of the first, but reality is, I haven't received it - until today.

And I have to say - It's a BLAST! I can't understand the lacking euphoria on this release. The booklet is marvellous, the sound is great, we get awhole lot of Elvis' pre-show-sequences too, and this CD is really a shining star in my "jumpsuit junkie" collection !

I LOVE it. It's GREAT! Thank you Madison.

Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:59 pm

Thomas wrote:I can't understand the lacking euphoria on this release.


Probably because it isn't a totally new show - most of the songs have been out before. But, I don't own "Cajun Tornado" so it was a new show for me, and I am also 100% satisfied with this purchase. Go Madison! (But forget about the "Legendary Performer" series, OK!)

Keith Richards, Jr.

Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:03 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:Probably because it isn't a totally new show - most of the songs have been out before. But, I don't own "Cajun Tornado" so it was a new show for me, and I am also 100% satisfied with this purchase.

Well if you can trust the booklet, 18 tracks on this release are previously unreleased...

Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:58 am

Holding Down The Fort is at the very least an interesting "time capsule" of Elvis Presley in the summer of 1976.

And a lot of his performance on June 3 is superior to what he'd be doing in July and August, too. This is supposed to be the show that pianist Tony Brown found extra special.

All of disc 1 is unreleased, and tracks 5-10, 14, 16-21, 23-24 and 32-33 on disc 2 -- 17 of 33 total cuts -- are previously unissued. Not a bad deal, if you're a deep fan.

Re: holding down the

Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:09 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:
Coming comments from the die-hards:

..."For a moment, I thought it was a photo from Aloha!?"


That made me laugh Ger!

Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:29 am

I found it to be a good entertaining show. Performance is pretty good. The sound is fantasic. Like the Doc said, its much better than the shows from the next two months.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:48 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: Not a bad deal, if you're a deep fan.
How Deep Is Your Love? Doc?!!!
Last edited by Juan Luis on Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:50 am

For those that have heard both, which Fort Worth 1976 show do they like the best? The one on June 3rd on this disc or July 3rd on Rockin Across Texas FTD book?

JEFF d
EAP fan

Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:25 am

Brad M wrote:I found it to be a good entertaining show. Performance is pretty good. The sound is fantasic. Like the Doc said, its much better than the shows from the next two months.


::: The sound is fantasic

-noisy, hissy, but... OK. No way fantastic Sir, but OK.