All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:51 am

If they release this like it was released on EAP box set then it's pure UNLISTENABLE GARBAGE.

Overdubb the instruments to make it sound like it did then it will be sensational--WHY YOU PURISTS LIKE FLAT SOUNDING AUDIO WITH NO DRUMS OR BASS AND ZERO ACCOUSTICS IS BEYOND UNDERSTANDING.


You have got to be joking. Why would any fan (other than people like jaykeisha) want to tarnish a historical recording to modernize the sound? You can't rewrite history. Any new overdub will not reflect the past, but will just be some sort of present interpretation as to what the current producer would have wanted the original performance to sound like. Like it or not, the Hawaii 61 show is what it is. It may not be a clear multi-track live recording, but it is a glimpse into a very special and magical Elvis performance. It doesn't need any enhancement through overdubbing newly recorded instruments, the original recording stands on it's own merit.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:01 am

midnightx wrote:
If they release this like it was released on EAP box set then it's pure UNLISTENABLE GARBAGE.

Overdubb the instruments to make it sound like it did then it will be sensational--WHY YOU PURISTS LIKE FLAT SOUNDING AUDIO WITH NO DRUMS OR BASS AND ZERO ACCOUSTICS IS BEYOND UNDERSTANDING.


You have got to be joking. Why would any fan (other than people like jaykeisha) want to tarnish a historical recording to modernize the sound? You can't rewrite history. Any new overdub will not reflect the past, but will just be some sort of present interpretation as to what the current producer would have wanted the original performance to sound like. Like it or not, the Hawaii 61 show is what it is. It may not be a clear multi-track live recording, but it is a glimpse into a very special and magical Elvis performance. It doesn't need any enhancement through overdubbing newly recorded instruments, the original recording stands on it's own merit.



I couldn't have said it better myself. Truthfully, I probably wouldn't have said it as well.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:21 am

I appreciate your post but it's a fact that you cant hear the band properly as they were not recorded well so what you got on say the Elvis Aaron Presley box set is nothing like it would have sounded if you were there.

So yeah seriously i for one welcome returning a bass guitar and a drum to the recording as there was one there to start with.

Not modernise the sound just return the damn bass to the recording.

So you like listening to recordings that sound flat as a pancake with poor accoustics? even though you know that the original performance was punchy and accoustically great?

Sure id prefer the original bass player to re-add his part if possible-if not then just as they did on "This Is Elvis",someone else will have to do it.

If Elvis were alive and you played him this show as it is on the "Elvis Aaron Boxset" im damn sure he would laugh at you--it's a insult into how the original show sounded. :wink:

Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:42 am

midnightx wrote:
If they release this like it was released on EAP box set then it's pure UNLISTENABLE GARBAGE.

Overdubb the instruments to make it sound like it did then it will be sensational--WHY YOU PURISTS LIKE FLAT SOUNDING AUDIO WITH NO DRUMS OR BASS AND ZERO ACCOUSTICS IS BEYOND UNDERSTANDING.


You have got to be joking. Why would any fan (other than people like jaykeisha) want to tarnish a historical recording to modernize the sound? You can't rewrite history. Any new overdub will not reflect the past, but will just be some sort of present interpretation as to what the current producer would have wanted the original performance to sound like. Like it or not, the Hawaii 61 show is what it is. It may not be a clear multi-track live recording, but it is a glimpse into a very special and magical Elvis performance. It doesn't need any enhancement through overdubbing newly recorded instruments, the original recording stands on it's own merit.


I agree in part, but Gerry makes sense too. I would want the original, untarnished recording to be preserved for sure, but it would be nice to have a bonus disc with overdubs. By that I mean accurate overdubs that reflect what was played at the time, and would make the recording sound more like what was heard by the audience. That way we would have the best of both worlds - the original recording for historical accuracy and an overdubbed recording for improved listening experience. Roots Revolution has some fantastic examples of this technique.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:59 am

I would want the original, untarnished recording to be preserved for sure, but it would be nice to have a bonus disc with overdubs.


But what is the point of overdubs 40+ years after the actual event? It isn't like you would be hearing a clean version of the concert. You would be listening to newly recorded instrumentation from musicians not even affiliated with Elvis. You couldn't really say that you were listening to the Hawaiian Benefit show from '61. You would be left with a bizarre mix of Elvis' original vocals, maybe some original audible instrumentation, and newly recorded overdubs. How is that listening to this famous show? It isn't. You can't recreate the music from a concert that is over 40 years old.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:22 am

Id settle for a bonus disc containing the overdubbs but they would have to be played almost exactly like the original-this should be no problem at all (respect to Bob Moore, etc) they achieved it on This Is Elvis.

Anyways it could be said that original instruments re-added (played exactly the same)to give the listener an even greater audio experience of this magical 1961 show.As they could explain why in 1961 the Live Recording technique & Limitations thereof.

Dj Fontana ans Scotty Moore could redo their parts

And the untouched Disc for the purists who do not like anything touched period (and respect to them aswell).

Lastly regarding the Beatles Anthology that has tons of overdubbs and it's out of this world mind blowingly good quality--it is the benchmark for all others to aim for.

Even now George Martin is working with original Beatles masters and changing the sound.

No one bats an eyelid.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:57 am

The problem is that Elvis' voice does not exist in isolation. You can't extract his voice from the mono recording as it's embedded with the other instruments.

While overdubbing was attempted on some Lousiana Hayride recordings, the Hawaiian concert has a lot more rhythm / instruments and crowd noise thrown in. Any attempt to overdub modern instruments would sound awkward at best. The Beatles Free as a Bird overdub only featured Lennon's voice and piano on cassette.

I'm not against FTD trying this overdubbing as bonus material, but the priority should be to find the 1st generation mono tape and let Budd restore it.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:53 am

Gerry wrote: i am just happy to have Bass on the recording

*****************************
Try turning the knob on your stereo marked, "bass".

Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:12 am

GERRY wrote:Lastly regarding the Beatles Anthology that has tons of overdubbs and it's out of this world mind blowingly good quality--it is the benchmark for all others to aim for.


Besides, "Real Love" and "Free as a Bird," the remaining Anthology tracks were the actual recordings, though in a few instances, there were splices and/or solos from different takes.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:46 am

Joern wrote:I've tried to listen to "Pet Sounds" a few times, but didn't get through it. I really can't stand it and I honestly don't have a clue why it gets on the first three positions on every poll about the "Best album ever".

The short answer: because it is absolutely brilliant, innovative and influential.

GERRY wrote:If they release this like it was released on EAP box set then it's pure UNLISTENABLE GARBAGE. Overdubb the instruments to make it sound like it did then it will be sensational--WHY YOU PURISTS LIKE FLAT SOUNDING AUDIO WITH NO DRUMS OR BASS AND ZERO ACCOUSTICS IS BEYOND UNDERSTANDING ... And i dont care as long as the bass playing is exactly the same-i am just happy to have Bass on the recording(as you should be)and not like on the Silver Box Set that is totally garbage.

As others have already noted, the Hawaii '61 recording is unique -- and quite listenable despite its deficiencies. Your COMMENTS are a LITTLE HYSTERICAL and a LOT INACCURATE.

Overdubbing would be costly and to no one's benefit. A 2006 reissue will not be sold to millions, perhaps thousands, at best. Most of the musicians from that date are no longer with us, and the special dynamic of their play, the crowd, and working with Elvis cannot be duplicated today. And neither Scotty nor D.J. are physically able to match what they played over 45 years ago -- they're senior citizens now!

Finally, if we somehow chose your logic, it also means those parts where Elvis' voice drops out should just be overdubbed too -- maybe Ronnie McDowell is available. That would make you happy, eh?

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:37 pm

Ok i appreciate all of your comments.thx

Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:03 pm

GERRY wrote:I appreciate your post but it's a fact that you cant hear the band properly as they were not recorded well so what you got on say the Elvis Aaron Presley box set is nothing like it would have sounded if you were there.

So yeah seriously i for one welcome returning a bass guitar and a drum to the recording as there was one there to start with.

Not modernise the sound just return the damn bass to the recording.

So you like listening to recordings that sound flat as a pancake with poor accoustics? even though you know that the original performance was punchy and accoustically great?

Sure id prefer the original bass player to re-add his part if possible-if not then just as they did on "This Is Elvis",someone else will have to do it.

If Elvis were alive and you played him this show as it is on the "Elvis Aaron Boxset" im damn sure he would laugh at you--it's a insult into how the original show sounded. :wink:


While they're at it they could get someone to record new vocals as well

Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:55 pm

AndrewJ wrote:
GERRY wrote:I appreciate your post but it's a fact that you cant hear the band properly as they were not recorded well so what you got on say the Elvis Aaron Presley box set is nothing like it would have sounded if you were there.

So yeah seriously i for one welcome returning a bass guitar and a drum to the recording as there was one there to start with.

Not modernise the sound just return the damn bass to the recording.

So you like listening to recordings that sound flat as a pancake with poor accoustics? even though you know that the original performance was punchy and accoustically great?

Sure id prefer the original bass player to re-add his part if possible-if not then just as they did on "This Is Elvis",someone else will have to do it.

If Elvis were alive and you played him this show as it is on the "Elvis Aaron Boxset" im damn sure he would laugh at you--it's a insult into how the original show sounded. :wink:


While they're at it they could get someone to record new vocals as well


Check out Roots Revolution and then tell me that the technique isn't worthwhile. The listening experience is transformed. Gerry certainly overstated it when he said the original recording was unlistenable garbage. It's a classic Elvis concert and great to hear even with the sound not being so hot. I know DJC is correct and it would make no economic sense to have an overdubbed bonus disc. They just wouldn't recoup the costs. That doesn't mean it's a lame idea. It's just an unworkable one.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:48 pm

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 0828851B20 .........Just an example of the potential to make it sound decent.
Last edited by Juan Luis on Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:56 pm

JLGB wrote:http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=EEBBA30828851B20 ......I just redid this now! So do not judge hard....Just an example of the potential to make it sound decent.


Thanks. The improvement is clear. Amazing really.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:31 pm

Marko wrote:
JLGB wrote:http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=EEBBA30828851B20 ......I just redid this now! So do not judge hard....Just an example of the potential to make it sound decent.


Thanks. The improvement is clear. Amazing really.
Your welcome and thanks for replying. :)

Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:34 am

JLGB wrote:http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=EEBBA30828851B20 .........Just an example of the potential to make it sound decent.


It sounds real good...what improvements did you make to the sound?

Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:27 am

Mike C wrote:
JLGB wrote:http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=EEBBA30828851B20 .........Just an example of the potential to make it sound decent.


It sounds real good...what improvements did you make to the sound?
:) .....With Adobe Audition 2.0 (powerful and good software if you can control yourself)...basically extracted the vocals and put them on multitrack separate from the band and audience noise and mixed to raise and make voice clearer . Then used (for "mastering") multi band compression to bring up the bass and general levels plus control the mids and highs as best I could. The only problem is the audience noise...the rest is a surprisingly decent live recording. IMO.

Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:03 am

JLGB... I like what you did to bring clarity to the vocals... BUT... I prefer Keith's file for everything else. If you could somehow combine your expanded emphasis on Elvis' vocals with Keith's full, resonant, stereoscopic sound mix, we'd have a great recording.

If I had Adobe Audition, formerly Cool Edit (which I used to own), I'd give it a bash. That program is bags of fun!

P.S. I am talking about "Such A Night" for Keith and "Love Me" for you. Try "Such A Night".

Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:14 am

Will do and thanks cryogenic! I have not heard (or knew) Keith's... as of this writing..I'm sure its great!!!

Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:19 am

He posted a link here, but his audio section is gone!

The link still works, however:

http://www.keithflynn.com/audio/Such%20 ... -%2061.wma

I already re-mixed this myself by emphasising the left channel more. You get a nice stereo mix -- if a little too bass-heavy -- but the real problem is that you begin to overpower Elvis' vocals when you do that (they are right-heavy for some reason).

Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:02 pm

After cool edit came Adobe 1.5 and then last year 2.0..you need extra,extra ram for this one!!!It is my opinion original live recordings or otherwise in mono should stay unless instruments need to be separated if the recording restoration benefits like this show for example...but mixed back to mono for release.. Fake stereo should only be for fun imo... http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 094370091A