All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:32 pm

I'd add " Too much monkey business" -

...that guitar picking sure is country flavoured ..

Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:29 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote: but Elvis never was hardcore country anyway.

Thank Goodness for that !!!

Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:13 pm

Tentative track listing:

01 Guitar Man/What'd I Say
02 I'm Movin' On
03 Gentle On My Mind
04 Snowbird
05 Little Cabin On The Hill
06 Funny How Time Slips Away
07 I Really Don't Want To Know
08 The Fool
09 Faded Love
10 I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water
11 Early Morning Rain
12 For Ol' Times Sake
13 Loving Arms
14 You Asked Me To
15 Susan When She Tried
16 Pieces Of My Life
17 Fairytale
18 He'll Have To Go
Last edited by Matthew on Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:36 pm

Matthew -
If you up the number of tracks to 20, add Just Call Me Lonesome and There's a Honkytonk Angel, then I believe you'll have an excellent representation of Elvis' country offerings.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:46 pm

Aw don't leave off Good Time Charlie :)

Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:29 am

01 Guitar Man/What'd I Say
02 Just Call Me Lonesome
03 Too Much Monkey Business
04 I'm Movin' On
05 Gentle On My Mind
06 Snowbird
07 Little Cabin On The Hill
08 Funny How Time Slips Away
09 I Really Don't Want To Know
10 The Fool
11 Faded Love
12 I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water
13 Early Morning Rain
14 For Ol' Times Sake
15 Loving Arms
16 You Asked Me To
17 Susan When She Tried
18 Pieces Of My Life
19 Fairytale
20 He'll Have To Go

Added Just Call Me Lonesome and Too Much Monkey Business. Its interesting to see the flow of tracks here which are in session order for tracks that didn't appear on albums and album order for the others that did. Presents a nice flow I feel.

My reasoning for omitting a couple of obvious numbers particularly from the later years is more to do with pace than anything else. Plus bearing in mind this is for a friend who isn't a fanatic. About an hours worth of music here should be enough.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:35 am

Matthew -
Be sure to tell us what your friend thinks of the cd.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:24 am

Matthew wrote:Its interesting to see the flow of tracks here which are in session order for tracks that didn't appear on albums and album order for the others that did. Presents a nice flow I feel.

I'm with you, Matt. That's very nicely done.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:56 am

ColinB wrote:Well, the 'country twang' of Jim Reeves voice is more subtle than Willy's.

There is nothing more subtle than a Willy's ...

However, Willie Nelson's singing can be sublime, where Reeves was often like a country version of Perry Como.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:29 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ColinB wrote:Well, the 'country twang' of Jim Reeves voice is more subtle than Willy's.

However, Willie Nelson's singing can be sublime, where Reeves was often like a country version of Perry Como.

I believe it was Chet Atkins who coined the phrase "countrypolitan" to describe the smooth, easy style of Jim Reeves and others.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:13 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Sorry if my poor spelling irked you................ Mr Nelson isn't such a well-known name over here as he is over there.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:41 pm

Matthew wrote:A little aside, has anyone ever stacked the Elvis Country album tracks together without the interludes ie taken the tracks from the 70s Masters and lined them up. If so how do you find the listening experience compared to the original album with the I Was Born About 10,000 Years Ago segments?

Yep done it for my car mp3-player. Sounds great. I really like it this way.