All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:30 pm

I'm kind of glad he didn't for he's be putting on a fake singing voice rather than just singing. Roughing his voice a little for blues songs I don't think was fake more the accenting is the same he's just loosing himself in the blues. If he were doing the southern 'twang' in his country singing it wouldn't sound right to me.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:34 pm

Though it's a little more folk than country, Early Mornin' Rain definitely needs to be added to any collection.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:34 pm

*All I Needed Was The Rain* *ahem* (see previous post; this is just a little aside in case you overlooked it)

I've noticed that Elvis got a little more "southern" in his singing from the mid 60's on. Around the time of "U.S. Male" -- a song that very much encourages its emphasis -- you can often here a more natural diction on certain songs that's more or less absent from his earlier material.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:37 pm

Rob wrote:Though it's a little more folk than country, Early Mornin' Rain definitely needs to be added to any collection.

Of all the songs that didn't appear on the 70s Masters this is the one I really believe a mistake occured.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:39 pm

I concur.

Though Gord's version will always be far and away the best.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:41 pm

Cryogenic wrote:I concur.

I must confess to never having heard the original version.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:06 pm

Ok, I considering doing the following. Send the Elvis Country upgrade and a compilation CD from the 71-76 period. Elvis' voice is closely matched during this time and the production on the tracks is quite similar. Having a think about track selection and order right now.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:53 pm

Matthew,
I have always found the segue between the songs on Elvis Country distracting. Matter of fact I hate it. Long before cd's I remastered my own version from the original album fading the seque down onto cassette; however with all the songs available now if I were you I would recompile the songs of Elvis Country without that horrible attempt at a concept album and present it to your friend. You could include others that might fit from those sessions and the complete "I'm Ten Thousand Years Old".

Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:11 pm

I just add:
A WOMAN WITHOUT LOVE 1975
STAY AWAY 1967 ( i just listening to this beauty now!)
US MALE

Sincerely
:wink: LIOR

Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:21 pm

Personally I’d avoid rehearsals and stick to the masters.

It would have been great if Elvis had recorded “Ghost Riders In The Sky” and for us fans such rehearsal tapes are fascinating. For non fans though it could be a different story.

A compilation is necessary due to the way many of Elvis’ great country recordings were originally issued, but I would also be tempted to burn the entire “Elvis Country” album as it’s one of the all time great country rock albums, and should surely impress any serious county fan.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:32 pm

A really nice set list Doc!!
I think "Elvis Country" is a label of it's own in the field of country music.
Elvis' wonderful ability to blend all kinds of music into his own, still amazes me! Elvis could make country sound soul, and soul sound country.
Not to mention how i treatet R&B. Elvis endures, simply because he did what he did, so wonderful! Call it what you like, I tend to call it Elvis music, no matter what!

Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:35 pm

ColinB wrote:For all the 'country' songs he sang, however heartfelt he made them, he never adopted that sort nasal 'twang' al la Willy Nelson and the rest !

And Jim Reeves.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:14 pm

Certainly "Way Down" has a rock feel, but it obviously connected with country radio, thus its #1 placement on the charts.

And the point of this topic so many of you are missing is to address Matthew's request and sway his CA colleague as far as Elvis and country music.

This doesn't mean throwing down every country-tinged number, especially as some are quite pedestrian. My list was compiled with this in mind, and especially geared towards what his gal pal might comprehend.

She might even be old enough to remember "Way Down" on country radio in 1977, I know it's one of the few songs I remember hearing on the radio while Elvis was still alive.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:20 pm

My absolute faves are:

Make The World Go Away
Just Pretend
True Love Travels On A Gravel Road
Gentle On My Mind
Honky Tonk Angel
Kentucky Rain
There Goes My Everything
Early Morning Rain

Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:21 pm

Hell folks, what is country in

For The Heart
Way Down
T.R.O.U.B.L.E.

?????????????????????

All 3 tracks are pure rock.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:30 am

deadringer wrote:Hell folks, what is country in

For The Heart
Way Down
T.R.O.U.B.L.E.

?????????????????????

All 3 tracks are pure rock.

There is a honky tonk vibe in those tracks.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:34 am

Matthew wrote:
Rob wrote:Though it's a little more folk than country, Early Mornin' Rain definitely needs to be added to any collection.

Of all the songs that didn't appear on the 70s Masters this is the one I really believe a mistake occured.

I agree totally.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:09 am

You might want to also include Elvis 1959 home recording of Jim Reeves' "I'm Beginning to Forget You," as found on Elvis: A Legendary Performer Volume 4 and the Greetings from Germany import.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:38 am

Mike C wrote:You might want to also include Elvis 1959 home recording of Jim Reeves' "I'm Beginning to Forget You," as found on Elvis: A Legendary Performer Volume 4 and the Greetings from Germany import.

I think that's probably more for us diehards, due to the inferior sound quality. If the idea of the compilation is to show the woman that Elvis was a credible country artist, there are plenty of high quality studio masters to illustrate that point.

Deadringer, T.R.O.U.B.L.E does fall into the country rock category I think and of course was covered a few years back by Travis Tritt. It deserves a place on a country compilation.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:21 am

TJ wrote:Deadringer, T.R.O.U.B.L.E does fall into the country rock category ...

One of the ways Travis Tritt knew the song was because it was a hit on country radio -- surprise -- in the summer of 1975. It reached #11. Obviously, many country fans found a connection with the song then and in the 1990s with Tritt's popular cover version.

Of course, my nominees from this session did not include "T-R-O-U-B-L-E," since "Fairytale," "Green, Green Grass Of Home," and "Susan When She Tried" were better choices, given Matthew's parameters.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:26 am

Matthew wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:I concur.

I must confess to never having heard the original version.

Matthew -
Do yourself a favor and get a Gordon Lightfoot compilation. There's one that came out a few years ago called Complete Greatest Hits that is a pretty decent one stop. Believe me, Gord's music will really get to you. The Circle Is Small would've been perfect for Elvis!

Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:57 am

T*R*O*U*B*L*E could qualify as country, particularly the outtake that appeared on FTD, but despite its chart placing there's no way I'd list Way Down in the same category.
Rick

Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:29 am

Spellbinder wrote:
ColinB wrote:For all the 'country' songs he sang, however heartfelt he made them, he never adopted that sort nasal 'twang' al la Willy Nelson and the rest !

And Jim Reeves.

Well, the 'country twang' of Jim Reeves voice is more subtle than Willy's.

But there nonethless.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:48 am

Maybe with a better manager, Elvis could have done duets with Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Glen Campbell ...

Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:18 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
TJ wrote:Deadringer, T.R.O.U.B.L.E does fall into the country rock category ...

One of the ways Travis Tritt knew the song was because it was a hit on country radio -- surprise -- in the summer of 1975. It reached #11. Obviously, many country fans found a connection with the song then and in the 1990s with Tritt's popular cover version.

Of course, my nominees from this session did not include "T-R-O-U-B-L-E," since "Fairytale," "Green, Green Grass Of Home," and "Susan When She Tried" were better choices, given Matthew's parameters.

I have a compilation of Travis Tritt called THE ROCKIN' SIDE - I have often fantasized of Elvis recording the same type of material during the Decmeber 1973 Stax sessions! If only Elvis had told Parker "I will take songs from anywhere ..."