All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Elvis' country music "that's not the same"

Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:24 pm

I was talking online last night with my friend in California, we were discussion music ie American artists I knew and British ones she did. Anyway, it got onto music genres and she was shocked when I said I also liked country music like her. She said "really?!" Anyways I mentioned a few people including Elvis and she said thats not the same.

Now I don't think she's heard a great deal of Elvis' music outside the mainstream so yes, I am making her a CD! Any suggestions from anyone? It's going to be mainly a late 60s and 70s affair.

Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:47 pm

Using your paramenters, you'll want to choose at least some of these:

Guitar Man/What'd I Say - 9/67
Just Call Me Lonesome - 9/67
Beyond The Reef - 66 demo (+ 8/68 overdubs)
Long Black Limousine - 1/69
I'm Movin' On - 1/69
This Time/I Can't Stop Loving You - 2/69
It Keeps Right On A-Hurtin' - 2/69
Faded Love - 6/70
A Hundred Years From Now - 6/70
Funny How Time Slips Away - 6/70 (undubbed)
Ghost Riders In The Sky - 7/70
For The Good Times - 3/72
Always On My Mind - 3/72
For Ol' Times Sake - 7/73
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry - 11/73 (solo)
You Asked Me To - 12/73
Loving Arms - 12/73
There's A Honky Tonk Angel - 12/73
Fairytale - 3/75
Green, Green Grass Of Home - 3/75
Susan When She Tried - 3/75
You're The Reason I'm Living - 3/75
She Thinks I Still Care - 2/76 (alternate)
For The Heart - 2/76
Way Down - 10/76
He'll Have To Go - 10/76

---
Now, many of these aren't "strictly country," but Elvis never was hardcore country anyway.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:06 am

I would add "Little Cabin on the Hill" and "There Goes My Everything" and "Gentle on My Mind".

If your friend is a die hard country music fan she will know these songs by the original artist, but come to like Elvis' version just as much.

I can think of several from the 50's as well, but you stated you wanted 60' and 70's.

RKS

Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:08 am

Good list DJC.

Not too sure about Beyond The Reef though. How is that a Country song?

Gentle On My Mind might be a good one to add.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:16 am

BIGREDG wrote:

Not too sure about Beyond The Reef though. How is that a Country song?

Beyond the Reef was recorded by Marty Robbins. Again, if this person is a die hard fan she will know this one as well. The thing is, that most people don't.

The "newer" country fans (80' - 90's onward) don't know these old classics.

I am fortunate to live in Nashville, Tn. and am able to listen to WSM-am where they play all these classics all the time.

RKS

Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:42 am

Way Down country??? Not in my book.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:45 am

ElvisAhlgren wrote:Way Down country??? Not in my book.

Yes, that too is an extraordinary selection!!!

Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:53 am

I'd go with...

It Keeps Right On A-Hurtin'
I'm Movin' On
Gentle on My Mind
Guitar Man
I Really Don't Want to Know
Funny How Time Slips Away
It's Your Baby, You Rock It
Just Pretend
How the Web Was Woven
Faded Love
Snowbird
Where Did they Go Lord?
Loving Arms
Honky Tonk Angel
Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues
Talk About the Good Times
Green, Green Grass Of Home
Susan When She Tried
T.R.O.U.B.L.E.
Your Love's Been a Long Time Coming
She Thinks I Still Care
He'll Have to Go

Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:11 am

In addition to the majority of the songs listed by Doc and TJ I'd also include 2 of Elvis' greatest early country efforts: You're a Heartbreaker and I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone. And from the later years It's Midnight and Pieces of My Life. Maybe It Ain't No Big Thing and She Wears My Ring as well.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:21 am

IMO, you can't have an Elvis country CD without Tomorrow Never Comes !

And I didn't know that Beyond The Reef was a Marty Robbins song. That's why I love this MB, I always learn something :smt023

Rich

Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:32 am

BIGREDG wrote:Yes, that too is an extraordinary selection!!!

If you knew what you were talking about, you'd know that "Way Down" hit #1 on Billboard's "Hot Country Singles" chart in August 1977.

But, of course, you don't.

Also, besides being long associated with country icon Marty Robbins, "Beyond The Reef" has beautiful overdubbed steel guitar by Jerry Byrd, as noted in my list.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:41 am

Make The World Go Away should be included, too.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:25 am

Ciscoking wrote:Make The World Go Away should be included, too.

Damn you!

I was just about to mention this one.

It's quite a list.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:45 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

BIGREDG wrote:Yes, that too is an extraordinary selection!!!

If you knew what you were talking about, you'd know that "Way Down" hit #1 on Billboard's "Hot Country Singles" chart in August 1977.

But, of course, you don't.

A lot of Elvis songs appeared on the Billboard country chart but If that makes them country songs you should also include songs like:

Heartbreak Hotel
Hound Dog
Jailhouse Rock
All Shook Up
Hard Headed Woman
Wear My Ring Around Your Neck
Help Me
Hurt

Don't they have a real country flavor?

I don't think so. I don't know the criteria for entering the the country chart but a number one on the country chart doesn't always mean it's the best selling single. Why have different charts in the first place? Music is music and Elvis did different kinds of music pop, rock, rockabilly, blues, gospel, country and also mixed styles. Today everything regarded as rock music back then seems to be country music today.

I think it's the style and feel of a song that makes it a certain type of music. Country songs can be treated as rock songs and rock songs can be treated as country songs by a performer. That means that even if old Hank Williams wrote a country song I don't have to sing it and play it the country way. Is it still a country song if it sounds like heavy metal? Maybe.. but should it be included on my country collection album? Not if I can judge.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:47 am

The only time Elvis sounds country is Million Dollar Quartet : I'M WITH THE CROWD BUT OH SO ALONE & LITTLE CABIN and A HUNDRED YEARS FROM NOW - June '70

However, what a great a song list everybody - especially Honk Tonk Angel (UNDUBBED)

However, the most damage you can do Elvis is to play someone BEYOND THE REEF :lol: or ofcourse play the video of Teddy Bear from EIC :cry:

Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:30 pm

Way Down is pure rock 'n' roll - and brilliant I may add. It doesn't matter what chart it appeared in, there's no way that is a country song.

You could just send her a copy of 'Elvis Country' album - there are some great gems hidden on there!

Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:34 pm

Getlo wrote:You could just send her a copy of 'Elvis Country' album - there are some great gems hidden on there!

That album must be consulted and mined from start to finish. If this person is a country music fan but hasn't heard much of Elvis' non-mainstream music, then it's almost certain she doesn't have a clue this album even exists!

Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:06 pm

Cryogenic wrote:
Getlo wrote:You could just send her a copy of 'Elvis Country' album - there are some great gems hidden on there!

That album must be consulted and mined from start to finish. If this person is a country music fan but hasn't heard much of Elvis' non-mainstream music, then it's almost certain she doesn't have a clue this album even exists!

It's funny but many country music fans don't even consider buying an Elvis album. He was the king of rock'n'roll - but a damn fine country singer! I love most country songs, but started enjoying them because I heard Elvis's country songs and liked the style.

It's good to hear Elvis talking about his Country album just before he sings 'Make the World Go Away' in 1970 on 'The Lost Performances'. Sadly the joke about been written 'before Roy Acuff was born' is lost with the Vegas crowd.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:15 pm

Getlo wrote:It's funny but many country music fans don't even consider buying an Elvis album. He was the king of rock'n'roll - but a damn fine country singer! I love most country songs, but started enjoying them because I heard Elvis's country songs and liked the style.

Same.

Well, actually, I'm not sure if Gordon Lightfoot or Elvis started me on country. They're my favourite singers, see, and you need a good voice for country. Country separates the men from the boys.

Getlo wrote:It's good to hear Elvis talking about his Country album just before he sings 'Make the World Go Away' in 1970 on 'The Lost Performances'. Sadly the joke about been written 'before Roy Acuff was born' is lost with the Vegas crowd.

He also refers to his "country and western" album before singing "Just Pretend" in TTWII. This is actually how I learned of it.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:43 pm

I'd include There Goes My Everthing made famous by Jack Greene and It's a Sin popularized by Eddy Arnold.

Matthew: Your friend is correct. It's not the same. It's "Elvis" country.

Elvis:Where pop and country come together.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:51 pm

I'm liking the Elvis Country idea, I have a copy of the 2000 upgrade I could send since aquiring the Japan 24bit Paper Sleeve. However, I'm still thinking a compilation. One track I'm considering is the studio version of Early Morning Rain. I know its considered folk but I think it lends itself nicely with the acoustic guitars and harmonica.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:01 pm

My thoughts exactly, Matthew. Great minds think alike.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:09 pm

A little aside, has anyone ever stacked the Elvis Country album tracks together without the interludes ie taken the tracks from the 70s Masters and lined them up. If so how do you find the listening experience compared to the original album with the I Was Born About 10,000 Years Ago segments?

Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:23 pm

I know what people mean when they say Elvis never did 'country' music.

For all the 'country' songs he sang, however heartfelt he made them, he never adopted that sort nasal 'twang' al la Willy Nelson and the rest !

He could have done it, he was familiar enough with it.

He could imitate Hank Snow's high voice very well on informal tracks.

But he never incorporated that sound into his own singing, like he did when doing the blues.

I think, when growing up, he empathised more with the black blues singers he heard than he did with the white country ones !

Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:29 pm

Matthew wrote:One track I'm considering is the studio version of Early Morning Rain. I know its considered folk but I think it lends itself nicely with the acoustic guitars and harmonica.

In that case, Matthew, you must put "All I Needed Was The Rain" on there. This is one of my all-time favourites. Even most casual Elvis fans probably don't know of it. It's a hidden gem and it's one that anyone -- well, anyone who happens to like country and/or folk music -- would really enjoy. Fantastic little number.
Last edited by Cryogenic on Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.