All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:20 am

ForeverElvis wrote: The song may have been written and rejected for countless films prior to Charro

Exactly my point and the original posters.

During the scene with Ina Balin walking thru the town square when Elvis is getting shave (with billy roy in the closet) you can plainly here the song as part of the score - instrumental, not Elvis' vocal.

I agree, it was accepted for the movie "Charro"

Need I remind everyone that "a whistlin Tune" was originally intended and recorded for "Follow that dream" but not used until "Kid Galahad".

Songs were submitted for multiple films and there are many documented examples of this if I can locate the article that came out some time ago.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:17 am

Isn't it just the funniest thing when someone accuses you of talking "absolute rubbish" and then goes on with garbage themselves? Keith, add-on songs have often been recorded through the years. National General Pictures were so cash-strapped they would probably have jumped at the chance for another studio to reimburse them for half of the session costs. After their one song had been recorded they would have been happy to have MGM pay them back for the rest of the time. I'm surprised you can't see any logic in that.

And serenading the sheriff while he's laying there dying! That would be so funny if you weren't actually serious. Now that's absolute rubbish!

Anthony, I examined the scene in Charro you described, and there's no music at all. However in the scene just after it, where Ina Balin is noticing the riflemen on the rooftops, there is music playing but it's certainly not "Let's Forget About The Stars". Nothing like it.

I still maintain that the most likely scenario is that it was for "The Trouble With Girls" which was about to start filming. It fits chronologically. Either that, or it was recorded as a possible B-side like Spellbinder suggested.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:41 pm

dannyboy1 wrote: National General Pictures were so cash-strapped they would probably have jumped at the chance for another studio to reimburse them for half of the session costs. After their one song had been recorded they would have been happy to have MGM pay them back for the rest of the time. I'm surprised you can't see any logic in that.

Yeah right :!: So cash strapped they only used 57 musicians to record Charro! Along with three arrangers. Boy - that's poverty.

It is most illogical for National General to record a foreign-use song at their own studios.

Why such a mystery? It's bleeding obvious that Let's forget About The Stars was resubmitted for Charro having been previously written for but not recorded for TTWG :D

Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:47 am

Kiwi: Seems logical to me.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:11 am

KiwiAlan wrote:
dannyboy1 wrote: National General Pictures were so cash-strapped they would probably have jumped at the chance for another studio to reimburse them for half of the session costs. After their one song had been recorded they would have been happy to have MGM pay them back for the rest of the time. I'm surprised you can't see any logic in that.

Yeah right :!: So cash strapped they only used 57 musicians to record Charro! Along with three arrangers. Boy - that's poverty.

It is most illogical for National General to record a foreign-use song at their own studios.

Why such a mystery? It's bleeding obvious that Let's forget About The Stars was resubmitted for Charro having been previously written for but not recorded for TTWG :D

u mean Live A Little dont ya Alan?

Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:23 am

Kiwialan -
The Trouble With Girls came after Charro.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:46 pm

so you mean let's forget about the stars was planned for Live a Little? Maybe for the scene were they talk about signs of the zodiac?

Many songs were rejected and re-submitted for other films. There are multiple examples in Ernst sessions book.

But I think it was considered for Charro and recorded for Charro, but not used, just as other songs weren't used on Flaming Star and countless films.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:02 pm

The original context for this song was the Let's Be Friends Camden LP and I always associate Let's Forget About The Stars with the song Let's Be Friends.

They are both very gentle songs and whilst the latter is almost certainly addressed to a child, the former has a similar feel though clearly having a romantic theme. It's some time since I listened to either but the album came out of the blue, somewhat, in 1970, and I have fond memories of its release.

Steve Morse

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:32 pm

As far as I´m aware, "Let´s Forget About The Stars" was recorded originally for Charro.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:49 pm

Kylan wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:

u mean Live A Little dont ya Alan?

Probably :oops:

Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:56 am

Actually Kiwialan, you were on solid ground. I was checking Elvis Sessions II this morning and the sessions for TTWG came before those for Charro - despite Charro being filmed first. Confusing ain't it?

Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:58 am

Pete Dube wrote:Actually Kiwialan, you were on solid ground. I was checking Elvis Sessions II this morning and the sessions for TTWG came before those for Charro - despite Charro being filmed first. Confusing ain't it?

I think there may be some confusion here. According to Session III, the soundtrack sessions for Charro took place on October 15, 1968. The TTWG sessions took place on October 23. Strings for "Charro" happened on November 25th.

Thus, I think its high unlkely that "Let's Forget About the Stars" was meant for TTWG.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:05 am

I actually meant that Let's Forget About The Stars was originally considered but not recorded for Live A Little, Love A little.

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:04 pm

bajo wrote:Maybe it should have been over the closing credits? No matter what, it's one of those "hidden" highlights turning up on an album like Let's Be Friends. I happen to like the song!!

That´s the version that rules. I hate the CD version from the 90´s (double features) with the piano almost lost in the mix.

//Björn

Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:18 am

Mike C wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:Actually Kiwialan, you were on solid ground. I was checking Elvis Sessions II this morning and the sessions for TTWG came before those for Charro - despite Charro being filmed first. Confusing ain't it?

I think there may be some confusion here. According to Session III, the soundtrack sessions for Charro took place on October 15, 1968. The TTWG sessions took place on October 23. Strings for "Charro" happened on November 25th.

Thus, I think its high unlkely that "Let's Forget About the Stars" was meant for TTWG.

Mike -
I ... err... don't ... um...have Elvis Sessions III. :oops:

Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:08 am

Pete Dube wrote:
Mike C wrote:

Mike -
I ... err... don't ... um...have Elvis Sessions III. :oops:

No problem, Pete.