All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Let's Forget About the Stars written for Live A Little?

Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:40 pm

A buddy of mine insists that Forget About the Stars was written for Live A Little but i have never really read or heard anything that would suggest it, other then the scene in Live A Little where Celeste and Elvis are at the party bantering about the planets and horoscopes. It does make sense that the song should fit there, instead of ALLC. But Stars wasnt even recorded until Oct-Nov 68, months after Live A Little. Is it just coincidence or is he right? I have a bet on this! should i pay up?

Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:51 pm

I brought this up several years ago. I believe it was. In the 1960's, the song writers would submit songs for the movies and when they were not accepted, they continued to submit those songs and there are documented times when a song was rejected and later accepted.

You are right, the scene seems to fit perfectly.

The song writers were instucted to write the songs to "fit" into the movie, and this section of dialogue seems to have inspired this song.

I would not doubt it at all, if this song was originally intended for this movie.

charro

Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:16 pm

I always thought it was for Charro!
Anyone?

Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:26 pm

It was supposedly for Charro but not used in the film. Obviously there were no situations in the film that would allow for this song to be sung to make any sense, were there?

Re: charro

Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:33 pm

stari062 wrote:I always thought it was for Charro!
Anyone?

At the studio recording session on 15th October, 1968, Elvis recorded just two songs.

One was Charro !

The other was Let's Forget About The Stars.

It would seem that the song was done for the Charro ! film.

Of course, it may have been written for a previous film and rejected.

It never turned up in this film either !

Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:46 pm

It may have been intended for a deleted scene in Charro! Scenes including a song were cut in other movies so why not in this one.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:50 am

I always heard it was for Charro, but find it highly unlikely. Just can't see how it could have ever fit in with the script. A true mystery waiting to be solved!!!

Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:24 am

I never bought the Charro! deal for this song.

There were a few songs submitted for certain films yet recorded/included later. . Dirty Dirty Feeling and A Whistling Tune spring to mind.

I think 'stars' it was for LALLAL - and it sounds like it was recorded at those sessions too. It's gt the shmaltzy 'lounge' feel of Almost in Love.

Charro? Never!

Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:50 am

Actually it was intended for Charro - but was to be sung by Victor French with a slight title change. Yep folks there was originally a scene where ol' Victor tries to buddy up to Elvis and get Elvis to forgive him for the branding by singing Let's Forget About The Scars.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:21 am

No actually it was written for "Spinout".

Shelly Fabares was supposed to sing it because she wanted Elvis to give up auto racing.

She would sing, "Let's forget about the cars".

Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:39 am

In my opinion you need to pay up Kylan!

Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:36 pm

Maybe it should have been over the closing credits? No matter what, it's one of those "hidden" highlights turning up on an album like Let's Be Friends. I happen to like the song!!

Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:04 pm

When the first recording sessions books suggested that Let's Forget About The Stars was recorded for Charro, I just couldn't see it, and presumed it was an error. I too always thought it would have fitted for LALLAL. The song has never had much exposure, but I've always liked it.

I always thought that The Fair's Moving On would have suited The Trouble With Girls.

Steve Morse

Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:15 pm

bajo wrote:Maybe it should have been over the closing credits? No matter what, it's one of those "hidden" highlights turning up on an album like Let's Be Friends. I happen to like the song!!

That's why I'm looking forward to the new re-release of "Let's Be Friends". I haven't heard that song in a long time...

Rich

Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:32 pm

When the first recording sessions books suggested that Let's Forget About The Stars was recorded for Charro, I just couldn't see it, and presumed it was an error. I too always thought it would have fitted for LALLAL. The song has never had much exposure, but I've always liked it.

I always thought that The Fair's Moving On would have suited The Trouble With Girls.

Steve Morse

Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:36 pm

'Let's Forget About The Stars' was definately recorded for "Charro" and not "Live A Little Love A Little", as this Tape Log shows:-
Note that the tape was purchesed from National General Pictures

"Live A Little Love A Little" was made by MGM

That doesn't mean however, that the song itself wasn't originally intended to be recorded for "Live A Little Love A Little", but wasn't!

Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:29 am

kieth wrote: That doesn't mean however, that the song itself wasn't originally intended to be recorded for "Live A Little Love A Little", but wasn't!

Source????

I think alot of you are missing the point. We all know what is documented in the books. We all know where it ended up.

What the poster is trying to prove is the ORIGINAL intent of the song.

Can anyone verify 100% that the song writers did NOT submit this for the movie, "live a little love a litte" and it was subsequently rejected?

I say its possible and very likely.

The song writers are the ones that will have to verify this.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:43 am

ekenee wrote:kieth wrote: That doesn't mean however, that the song itself wasn't originally intended to be recorded for "Live A Little Love A Little", but wasn't!

Source????

I think alot of you are missing the point. We all know what is documented in the books. We all know where it ended up.

What the poster is trying to prove is the ORIGINAL intent of the song.

Can anyone verify 100% that the song writers did NOT submit this for the movie, "live a little love a litte" and it was subsequently rejected?

I say its possible and very likely.

The song writers are the ones that will have to verify this.

Thank you Eke!! :lol: Exactly!

Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:47 am

No problem, I am one careful reader. You have to be on this board!

Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:14 am

ekenee wrote:No problem, I am one careful reader. You have to be on this board!

ekennee:

I think you missed my point too! I was only pointing out that Elvis recorded this song for "Charro" and not "Liva A Little". I also tried to say that the song could have been intended for "Live A Little" although it wasn't recorded for that picture!

Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:03 am

Kieth wrote: I think you missed my point too! I was only pointing out that Elvis recorded this song for "Charro" and not "Liva A Little". I also tried to say that the song could have been intended for "Live A Little" although it wasn't recorded for that picture!

Keith you used a triple negative in your previous post so I was a little confused. Even though it was recorded with 'charro', the song seems totally out of place with the movie, "charro". This debate goes back 25 years or so for me. Just one of those weird feelings I have had that something was a tad askew. I think the only way to solve it, is find out from the song writers, if they are still with us.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:30 am

I'm making a total wild arse guess here.

Sure - it was recorded at the Charro session but does it automatically follow that this was with the intent to (possibly) include it in the movie? Maybe it was just a convenient time to make the recording. Maybe there was some intent to use it as the B side of a Charro A sided single.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:20 am

Spellbinder's right in that just because the song was recorded at the same session as the Charro title song (Oct 15, 1968) doesn't mean it was intended for that film. Charro was always planned to be a non-singing historical drama (apart from the title song). Putting just one song in there out of historical context just wouldn't have even been thought of. It wouldn't have made any logical sense. "Let's Forget About The Stars" was clearly an add-on at this session. In other words, while Elvis was in the studio and only doing one song, they used the opportunity to try something else out.

So what movie was the song meant for? The answer has to be The Trouble With Girls! The soundtrack for that movie had only been recorded around six weeks earlier, and filming was about to start on October 28. I haven't watched TWG for quite a while, but I think the scene with the fortune teller would have been where the song was considered for use. So as far as I'm concerned, the most logical conclusion is that "Let's Forget About The Stars" was recorded as a possible inclusion for The Trouble With Girls. Why it didn't make it into the movie is anyone's guess. Maybe because it was separate from the rest of the soundtrack, it wasn't delived on time and filming progressed without it.

Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:27 am

Spellbinder wrote:I'm making a total wild arse guess here.

Sure - it was recorded at the Charro session but does it automatically follow that this was with the intent to (possibly) include it in the movie? Maybe it was just a convenient time to make the recording. Maybe there was some intent to use it as the B side of a Charro A sided single.

dannyboy1 wrote:Spellbinder's right in that just because the song was recorded at the same session as the Charro title song (Oct 15, 1968) doesn't mean it was intended for that film.

So what movie was the song meant for? The answer has to be The Trouble With Girls!

The soundtrack for that movie had only been recorded around six weeks earlier, and filming was about to start on October 28. I haven't watched TWG for quite a while, but I think the scene with the fortune teller would have been where the song was considered for use. So as far as I'm concerned, the most logical conclusion is that "Let's Forget About The Stars" was recorded as a possible inclusion for The Trouble With Girls. Why it didn't make it into the movie is anyone's guess. Maybe because it was separate from the rest of the soundtrack, it wasn't delived on time and filming progressed without it.

Sorry, but this absolute rubbish!

For a start, why would National General Pictures pay for a recording session (October 15 1968) for Elvis' next RCA single, and then not hand the song over to RCA for a year and a half (March 12 1970)? The song "Charro" was handed to RCA on February 17 1969! :roll:

The same argument applies to the assumption from 'dannyboy1', that the song must have been intended for "The Trouble With Girls". Again, why would National General Pictures pay for a recording session for MGM (Makers of "The Trouble With Girls")?

Any proof you need Ray, I'll show you when we meet at Cath's in November!

recorded and intended for Charro

Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:45 am

Let's forget about the stars was recorded for and intended for Charro. It may have even been filmed supposedly Elvis's serenades the Sherrif and his wife after the sherrif is shot. The song may have been written and rejected for countless films prior to Charro - but it was included, then cut from the film.

During the scene with Ina Balin walking thru the town square when Elvis is getting shave (with billy roy in the closet) you can plainly here the song as part of the score - instrumental, not Elvis' vocal.

this is clear proof of what the song was intended for.