All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:09 am

The long composite version of "Mama" should have been included without a hesitation. As for some of the Original "Mono" songs, I'd prefer a remastered "Stereo" Version where it applies otherwise the original mix remastered would have been the way to go with these release. I love the "Almost In Love" release.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:00 am

buddy holly wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:buddyholly: Just to be clear. I'm all for them releasing these albums on cd.
as long as they're releasing them on cd they should release them with the same versions, mixes, whatever that were on the vinyl editions.

I'm disappointed, but lt didn't stop me frm buying these.

That's exactly my point, I'm disappointed enough to have cancelled my order.

I nostalgic too though so I'm waiting for the re-issue of US Male which I'll buy for sure (my first album ever, got it from my grandmother). I also bought Almost In Love because of track selection. Flaming Star, You'll Never Walk Alone and Let's Be Friends I won't buy.

Buddy, it depends on one's nostalgia level (I don't know that I ever had the "You'll Never Walk Alone" Camden) but even with the shorter "Mama" and missing piano on that other track, I'd still spring for "Let's Be Friends" as many seem to agree that it was one of the better ones.

I liked the "Sings 'Flaming Star'..." Pure nostalgia but that album really worked for me. Try that, too. These CDs, besides being affordable, at least have cool looking artwork, evoking that era and also (so far) apparently using either a restoration of the cover or a mint photo of one, instead of a blurred second or third generation photo, as I half-expected on the first two....

As for the UK Camden LPs, I recently came across a stash of them at a used record shop here in USA. They are true hodgepodges but I can imagine they hooked many a listener.

If they were to release them, they may as well release the Pickwick double-LP of "Double Dynamite" with the MSG cover, a personal early fave.... :oops: :D

(I have the now-rare late '80s CD version with the "Aloha"-era cover minus two tracks...)

It's the "Burning Love and Hits from His Movies Vol. 2..." one that I have true mixed feelings about ever seeing again, even if it improved the late '80s CD version I have. :evil: Better to reissue the '99 "Burning Love" that Ernst compiled as a sort of "What if"...

Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:51 am

So, are these cd's out yet or what?

I went to 2 different Wal Mart's this week and nuthin', zilch!

Oh well...

Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:30 pm

Greg: I'd spring for "Double Dynamite" if they released it. A true hodgepodge if ever there was one. Maybe we'd get the extended "Mama" on that one.

Well, I can hope can't I?

Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:51 pm

"Double Dynamite" was great when I was young (like the other Camdens).

I was able to find a mint sealed copy of that album a few years ago :D

What does it look like in the middle, when you open it up? I can't remember...

Greg wrote:

(I have the now-rare late '80s CD version with the "Aloha"-era cover minus two tracks...)

I got that too!

Rich

Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:09 pm

buddy holly wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:Out of curiosity what's the tracklist for U.S Male?

US male,
We'll be together,
It's a a matter of time,
Almost in love,
Let's forget about the stars,
My little friend,
If I'm a fool (for loving you),
I'll take love,
Today tomorrow and forever,
Let's be friends,
No more,
Burning love.

Great hodgepodge of tunes. I'd buy it. Were most of the tracks in Stereo?

Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:26 am

Jerry!
At that time, many of the Camden tracks were in mono only.
As far as I can recall, the following were mono:

Let's Forget About The Stars
I'll Take Love
Today Tomorrow And Forever

Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:26 am

ok, I'll try again...

I searched thru too 2 FYE stores and 1 Wal Mart today and still no Camden/BMG Special products discs!!!

are these available yet or what :?: :?: :?:

Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:59 am

JerryNodak wrote:Greg: I'd spring for "Double Dynamite" if they released it. A true hodgepodge if ever there was one. Maybe we'd get the extended "Mama" on that one.

Well, I can hope can't I?

Well, Jerry, like I said, that one has been out before on CD: the 1987 RCA Special Products / Pair Records (issued by BMG, which had just bought the company) as a single disc (PDC2-01010). LIke I said, it has that "Aloha" shot (also used on "Greatest Hits Vol. 1") and runs 42:10 and does feature the 2:12 version of "Mama."

They lopped off two songs, unfortunately: "If You Think I Don't Need You" and "You'll Never Walk Alone." This CD now goes for a lot of money but on occasion someone will unknowingly sell it for very little.

Rich_TCB wrote:"Double Dynamite" was great when I was young (like the other Camdens).

I was able to find a mint sealed copy of that album a few years ago :D

What does it look like in the middle, when you open it up? I can't remember...

Rich, I stupidly sold off some a good chunk of Elvis Lps when the CD era was riding high and I thought I'd just buy the decade boxsets. (How foolish we can be...!) I'll pick it up on LP again someday.

That back cover concert shot of that LP is not seen too often, but the MSG cover shot was really lazy. They just slipped two LPs into a single cardboard sleeve. It never had a gatefold, unfortunately.

Like the best Camdens, "Double Dynamite" actually has a dynamic, wide-ranging number of tunes that probably made many a fan... It was one of my first three or four Elvis albums. :oops: It was actually an effective sampler back in the '70s:

DOUBLE DYNAMITE (LP)
(US) Pickwick DL2 5001

Released: December 1975

Side 1
Burning Love
I'll Be There
Fools Fall In Love
Follow That Dream
You'll Never Walk Alone
Side 2
Flaming Star
Yellow Rose Of Texas / Eyes Of Texas
Old Shep
Mama
Side 3
Rubberneckin'
US Male
Frankie and Johnny
If You Think I Don't Need You
Easy Come Easy Go
Side 4
Separate Ways
Peace In The Valley
Big Boss Man
It's A Matter Of Time

Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:20 am

The Australian version my father bought had a pic of Elvis from 1958 on the front and back, with the tracklisting on each side of the picture. The inside when you opened it up had a picture of Elvis singing 'Memories' from the 68 special. Some songs i have'nt got on CD are on that record, not too bad for a listen :)

Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:23 pm

Greg: the vinyl version I own has 18 songs with the MSG cover.

Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:02 pm

minkahed wrote:ok, I'll try again...

I searched thru too 2 FYE stores and 1 Wal Mart today and still no Camden/BMG Special products discs!!!

are these available yet or what :?: :?: :?:

Sorry you're not finding them yet. Some people couldn't find the first two releases in the stores either, when they were released...

My CD's were delivered yesterday from Amazon.

"You'll Never Walk Alone" might have the best cover art so far. It looks great, both inside and out.

Opened up "Let's Be Friends" and played "Let's Forget About The Stars", which I haven't heard since - I don't know how long...

Was Elvis' vocal always buried in the mix? It was really hard to hear him on that track.

Rich

Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:08 pm

Hello,

Have these albums been released already? I have seen them for sale on a dutch website, but that's about the only adress i found in the whole world where i can go to pick them up... does anyone already have these cd's?

Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:24 pm

Jovan wrote:Hello,

Have these albums been released already? I have seen them for sale on a dutch website, but that's about the only adress i found in the whole world where i can go to pick them up... does anyone already have these cd's?

http://www.amazon.com/Youll-Never-Alone-Elvis-Presley/dp/B000IONJ7E/sr=1-1/qid=1163431499/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-3927354-2256949?ie=UTF8&s=music

http://www.amazon.com/Lets-Be-Friends-Elvis-Presley/dp/B000IONJ74/ref=pd_bxgy_m_img_b/102-3927354-2256949

ep

Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:46 pm

In regard to Lets Be Friends, and YNWA, mine were shipped from Amazon U.S. on Oct 18th, however they have not yet arrived. It is the norm that a package arrives in about ten days, perhaps the package was sent dog sled express, anyway still hoping the package will show up.

Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:05 pm

Well I got these two CD and I can say only one thing. The sound si bloody awful and BOTH CDs are S.H.I.T.

No need for such crap, no matter if you are sentimental or not. The sound is not only "dated" but awful as awful it can be.

Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:56 pm

deadringer wrote:Well I got these two CD and I can say only one thing. The sound si bloody awful and BOTH CDs are S.H.I.T.

No need for such crap, no matter if you are sentimental or not. The sound is not only "dated" but awful as awful it can be.

That's unfortunate... I assumed they would be at least on calibre with the Flaming Star and Almost In Love CD's... while the sound on those is not perfect they were a decent re-package for CD. I guess I will pass on these two.

Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:51 pm

Brad,

I don't have "You'll Never Walk Alone" yet, but the sound on "Let's Be Friends" is very good! It does have the short 0:58 version of "Mama," which is disappointing, but don't hesitate to buy this Camden thinking the sound is bad, it isn't.

Both "Let's Be Friends" and "You'll Never Walk Alone" appear to be out-of-stock and backordered on all the on-line outlets. Could it be that BMG is correcting "Let's Be Friends" by substituting the "long version" of "Mama" for the 0:58 version? After all, they replaced the first copies of "Almost In Love," which stated "Stay Away, Joe" on both the cover and the disc, with a version that now correctly states "Stay Away."

Mystery Train

Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:52 am

Well now we have year: 2006. All these CDs sounds EXACTLY as old CAMDEN LPs. Camden LPs are known for very cheap, poor sound quality. Only RCA India "Dum Dum" can compete in this. Now in 2006, exact copies are released, no sound restoration, no effort, no nothing.

It is like if someone will take old Sinatra LP from lets say 1955 and re-release it on CD with no effort and same cheap artwork. WHO NEED IT??? Sentimental feelings???

Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:24 am

deadringer wrote:Well now we have year: 2006. All these CDs sounds EXACTLY as old CAMDEN LPs.

Ok, now you make me wonder if you have ever even listened to the new CDs..... because they most certainly DO NOT sound like the old albums. The sound is quite fantastic. I'm speaking of Almost in Love and Flaming Star, as I don't have the others as yet.

JEFF d
EAP fan

Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:35 am

Jeff D. Sorry, my Sennheiser HD 265 do not lie :-( I wish... but the sound is... well...

Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:54 am

deadringer wrote:Jeff D. Sorry, my Sennheiser HD 265 do not lie :-( I wish... but the sound is... well...

Your whatenheiser, whodenheiser??? Sorry dude time to clean the wax outta your skull!

JEFF d
EAP fan

Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:02 am

Sennheiser JEFF d, Sennheiser if you know what is it 8) . No wax in my ears... you think it is great sound, I disagree, simple as that...

Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:59 am

Whether the sound is good, bad, better, best, whatever... is strictly a subjective opinion based on the individual listener's ears.

I bought "You'll Never Walk Alone" when it was first released back in the '80s. The sound was acceptable for the price and time.

I wouldn't call the sound on the new release great, but it's certainly a marked improvement on the original release. It's certainly more than acceptable for a budget release.

Also, the bonus of nice artwork and the original cover photo.

Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:44 am

deadringer wrote:Jeff D. Sorry, my Sennheiser HD 265 do not lie :-( I wish... but the sound is... well...

I don't have the two new ones yet, but there's something to be said for the fact that they say that the higher audio quality one has, the more likely it's going to expose the limits of the CD.

So it's possible, then, that you're both kind of right, depending how you frame it. Deadringer's system gets closer to the truth but also is unforgiving.

My have a decent system and on it, the first 2 Camdens were acceptably good...and nothing like the quiet and tinny-sounding '80s-era "Double Dynamite" I mentioned earlier.