All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:56 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: Sorry so many of you are so angry that you've done nothing to dismiss my comments -- at least in the real world -- but that's what happens when you cannot deal with the truth.

Really.....first of all who do you think is really angry here?

My second last comment to you on friday the 13th was
"Anyway we will leave it at that....
unless of course you have something
new to offer for this thread" :wink:

An this is what you come up with, almost two days later :roll:

Doc, I may need to get my eyes checked when my eyes
see a two when it was an eight....

But maybe you need an angry management course
or some medical leave....

You offer No more proof or truth than anyone of us in this
thread.....you had and have an opinion and expressed it..

No different than any of us....

If anyone appears to express anger Doc, it's sometimes
directed at you because of your arrogant attitude....

You can offer much to this board and do, but you sir
are not perfect....

PEP 8)

Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:13 am

PEP wrote:You can offer much to this board and do, but you sir
are not perfect....

PEP 8)

And so say all of us! :wink:

Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:50 am

Here!

Here!

Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:23 am

PEP wrote:You offer No more proof or truth than anyone of us in this
thread.....

I couldn't disagree more, but you are indeed one of the class acts on this MB, with posts that are both fun and interesting. Respect is earned, not given, and you have done so many times over with me.

Rock on, PEP!

Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:18 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
PEP wrote:You offer No more proof or truth than anyone of us in this
thread.....

I couldn't disagree more,
Fair enough Doc,
we shall leave it at that :wink:

but you are indeed one of the class acts on this MB, with posts that are both fun and interesting. Thank you, I'll try to do better with dates and times :lol: :wink: Respect is earned, not given, and you have done so many times over with me. Again thank you, see you in the next debate :smt023 this thread has run it's course for me....

Rock on, PEP!

Please do the same :smt035

PEP 8)

Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:36 am

Mutual masturbation in the chat room please guys. :lol:

Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:49 am

Larry Dickman wrote:Mutual masturbation in the chat room please guys. :lol:

Gee, thanks for the invite, Larry, but I think I'll pass ...

Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:34 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Larry Dickman wrote:Mutual masturbation in the chat room please guys. :lol:

Gee, thanks for the invite, Larry, but I think I'll pass ...

Nice to know you at least gave it some thought, John Boy. :wink:

Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:55 am

Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:32 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Sorry so many of you are so angry that you've done nothing to dismiss my comments -- at least in the real world -- but that's what happens when you cannot deal with the truth.

DJC, your comments have been proven to be unreliable time & time & time again. You just have not had the good grace to respond to said refutations. You prefer to endlessly and arrogantly repeat yourself instead.

Are you "too blind to see" or "only playing a game"?

Good spot on the 2:30 - 8:30 thing by the way. That cut to the core of the issue.

Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:05 am

It's interesting to read a few comments from Len & Rosemary Leech whom attended both shows."Elvis opened his Fall tour with 2 fantastic shows at the University of Maryland in College Park.We had been lucky enough to attend both shows and enjoyed every minute of them.On September 27th he came out to thunderous applause wearing the new peacock suit.The friday night show was over 70 minutes long, mainly because of all the talking Elvis did between songs.We had never seen Elvis this talkative at concerts before.The auditorium had terrible acoustics and it was difficult to make out everything he said as our seats were in the rear of the auditorium and echoes were bouncing all over the place." :roll:

Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:03 am

YDKM wrote:It's interesting to read a few comments from Len & Rosemary Leech whom attended both shows."Elvis opened his Fall tour with 2 fantastic shows at the University of Maryland in College Park.We had been lucky enough to attend both shows and enjoyed every minute of them.On September 27th he came out to thunderous applause wearing the new peacock suit.The friday night show was over 70 minutes long, mainly because of all the talking Elvis did between songs.We had never seen Elvis this talkative at concerts before.The auditorium had terrible acoustics and it was difficult to make out everything he said as our seats were in the rear of the auditorium and echoes were bouncing all over the place." :roll:

Fans comments are sometimes a little unreliable. There's a review of the final Cincinnati and Indianapolis shows in an Elvis monthly from 1977/78 and the reviewer says something like "If Elvis was overweight, I'm a Dutchman". Oh and it wasn't a Dutchman

Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:20 am

Well TJ I read something a little different from their comments, but which back-up the CD impression. In that they admit to being so far away from the stage they couldn't view him properly(meaning they couldn't see how good or bad he was looking) and that sound was 'terrible', also they enjoyed the show.- something that this CD backs up..i.e. you cannot see Elvis apart from photos from this show-yet his speaking and singing, apart from the rambling monologues is clear,funny and not bad, certainly NOT as poor as recent past Vegas performances or the next night in College Park. to listen to it's a show i'd rate approx 7/10, considering ALL he sang and said compared to recent Vegas outings.

Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:29 am

I was just making a general observation on the need for caution, even with comments from fans who were at shows. I do agree with you that the audio evidence does not suggest the show was as bad as we have been led to believe.

Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:08 pm

YDKM wrote:Well TJ I read something a little different from their comments, but which back-up the CD impression. In that they admit to being so far away from the stage they couldn't view him properly(meaning they couldn't see how good or bad he was looking) and that sound was 'terrible', also they enjoyed the show.- something that this CD backs up..i.e. you cannot see Elvis apart from photos from this show-yet his speaking and singing, apart from the rambling monologues is clear,funny and not bad, certainly NOT as poor as recent past Vegas performances or the next night in College Park. to listen to it's a show i'd rate approx 7/10, considering ALL he sang and said compared to recent Vegas outings.

Forget it YDKM......we are going to need a multitrack, multiangle audio/visual presentation of this concert to disprove the naysayers.
(a full review from a Rolling Stone journalist might also be needed, just to give theses detractors a warm fuzzy feeling). :wink:

Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:58 pm

Don't know if this has already been mentioned (11 pages? I'm bound to havemissed it!) but has anyone else heard a memner of the audience say "He's gonna go" at the conclusion of Fever, as if he's expecting Elvis to fall off the stage?

Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:26 am

Yes Londonflash... i just clearly heard this comment today just after end of Fever..... sort of backs up my opinion that Elvis was physically MUCH WORSE at this show. i.e. unstable', but vocaly much stronger!

Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:41 am

This show turned out not to be the nightmare we all expected.
I listened to the South Bend FTD last week however, and despite the rather poor sound:
That show is 200% better than College Park.

It made me realize, compared to College Park, South Bend was far better than I actually remembered..

Strange how the human brain plays tricks with you, as time goes by...

Cheers, RJ

Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:21 am

I listened to the South Bend FTD last week however, and despite the rather poor sound:

Well, you aren't going to sell anyone on the idea that College Park isn't a nightmare if you are saying South Bend is 200% better than College Park. South Bend is a horrible show. There is little to nothing redeeming about it. It still is a mystery as to why Ernst released it ahead of other more prominent and well-respected tours.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:36 am

i totally disagree about that south bend comment, parts of south bend are 'poor' and partial Elvis Dialogue clearly show he was still in trouble but he tries reasonably well on bridge,steamroller etc so i wouldn't dislike south bend too much at all. Also in College Park, although bridge over is a poor version it's also(from my 1991 notes on the show) a VERY religious version how many times does he say Lord,Lord during this version??? :roll:

Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:36 am

I think you can sum up Elvis's 2 days at College Park as 1st day-physically looking a mess, but mentally and vocally quite good, but 2nd night he looked better but mentally and vocally was 'out of touch'+ he actually sang a bit less having 'its my time' also sung additionally to 'killing me softly'.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:26 pm

jak wrote:
midnightx wrote:

Well, you aren't going to sell anyone on the idea that College Park isn't a nightmare if you are saying South Bend is 200% better than College Park. South Bend is a horrible show. There is little to nothing redeeming about it. It still is a mystery as to why Ernst released it ahead of other more prominent and well-respected tours.

As I stated in another post my whole family was converted to Elvis fans that night in So Bend.South Bend was night a stellar night but it was not a horrible show.Sitting in the arena that night was a lot different than listening to a poor sounding recording.I spent 35 years in South Bend and have lots of friends who attended that concert.None of them thought it was horrible.
Jak

Horrible? WTF? it's a high energy show, nice setlist. a fully impressed audience..
Some weird dialogues allright, but hey what else is new from this period?

But again, I also thought it was bad.. until I listened to it again in detail.

Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:54 pm

yeah great post, again i listened upon a proper stereo tonight and it's awesome some of the crowd comments at key times during Elvis's performance, like again after FEVER where a guy says clearly"He's gonna go over" like he MUST have been stumbling around for anyone to say that? surely just doing FEVER and giving out scarves wouldn't justify for that comment?

Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:39 pm

midnightx wrote:

Ernst is obviously an idiot and should be sacked immediately!
Why he didn't release a soundboard from that 'well-respected' Sept. 1970 tour is a mystery to me. :wink:

Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:26 pm

Well FTD label plan to release one or more shows from EACH tour and EACH Vegas or Tahoe season. This is why Sept-Oct 74 tour was represented by SOUTH BEND show. This is LOGIC. And South Bend is not really weak show too. It is similar to others from this problematic tour. Thus - a representative choice.