All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Chaos? - Well hardly!!!

Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:15 pm

Just worked up the courage to give the New Straight Arrow release Chaos In College Park it's first spin!!

My expectation after all that has been written about this infamous show were very low. I expected an unfocussed rambling performance from See See Rider through a painful hour to Can't Help Falling In Love.

Did I get what I expected? Well no, to be honest. After all the negative hype, perhaps that is not altogether surprising, but if a myth has ever been dispelled, I think this Cd does just that.

Elvis hits the stage (not literally as one might anticipapte :wink: ) and delivers a fast paced, but perfectly normal version of See See Rider.

I Got a Woman/Amen is notable more for it's tedium than anything else. Elvis is focussed enough to detect a sound problem, and get it corrected at the beginning. It just drags on for nearly 10 minutes due to 2 repeats of JDs ending.

Love Me could be from any show from '74-77, a bit quiet on the vocals, betraying a little of the problems that were undoubtedly occurring on this day, but just a "throw away" rather than a tragic version.

If You love Me let Me Know is given a good performance, followed by a sincere It's Midnight which is not at all bad!!

Big Boss Man is sloppy, but hey, I have many sloppy versions of that.

Fever is next, and yes it is shambolic, but mainly because Elvis is interacting with the audience and talking through 1 minute of intro before starting singing. However the talk I would say is not rambling, just relating a story re his band aids!! Just a regular messing with the lyrics version - again not unusual.

Whilst introducing Love Me Tender Elvis gets a bit fixated on trying to name all his movies before starting the song, but this lasts less than a minute before a rambling attempt at the song which is the worst version I have ever heard!!

Elvis plays with the "You Ain't" start to Hound Dog, and it is just the normal banter "You ain't you just think you are..." etc. A supersonic version then follows with a long ching chang ending!!

Bridge is a bit weird with Elvis losing track of the tune and tempo in places.

This is followed by a spirited Polk Salad Annie, and lengthy band introductions.

It is here that I thought Elvis might struggle (having to talk rather than sing), but he is actually quite funny in places - asking the crowd not to applaud too much for the Sweets because "they will ask for a damn raise"!! He introduces them as the crew cuts, and asks "Don't get no nc double a p on me"!! He jokes with the Stamps, and remembers all their names!!! and passes on an amusing story of Glenn D's ability to drink alcohol and remain focussed (irony of ironies!!!!). Most entertaining intros ever!! (let's say that Elvis was less inhibited than normal :wink: )

After Voice do Killing Me Shrilly, a standard mucked about Why Me lord? follows, then a 50 second All Shook Up. Nothing remarkable to report there at all. Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel is more spirited than usual (very fast though!!)

At this point Elvis could have "taken it home", but goes on to a decent version of Hawaiian Wedding Song, and a How Great Thou Art which brings the house down. He looks like he is losing it at one point, but is just reaching in the wrong place really.

"I'd like to tell you, in all sincerity, if all audiences were like you, I'd sing my guts out for you, I'm not kidding." Then into an unusual, but in no means bad version of CHFIL!!!

This is nowhere near the worst Elvis show I have heard, nowhere near!!! I actually thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish :)

The sound is very good for an audience recording too, and the artwork is up to the usual excellent standard.
Last edited by BigredG on Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:21 pm

I can't understand why so many people say it's one of his worst shows
:?: :?: :?:

Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:31 pm

elvis67 wrote:I can't understand why so many people say it's one of his worst shows
:?: :?: :?:

Me neither. Believe me, it is not!! Beats a lot 1976 shows hands down!!

I enjoyed it so much, I am listening to it again (ok I started after IGot A Woman/Amen :wink: )

Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:34 pm

Thanks for the review. Now I am sure I will not buy this one. Now it's just a "normal" sept./okt. show. Too bad...I was hoping for a dramatic, slurry, sloppy, drugged out, stoned Elvis....Then we would have something special.... :D :D :D

Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:34 pm

I look forward to receiving the cd
thanks for this review !

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:03 pm

I had to dig up Hopkins' Final Years and look what was actually written about this show. Here are some excerpts:
Elvis comes up the stairs. He was all gut. He was slurring. He was so ****** up...It was so bad the words to the songs were barely intelligible. You couldn't hear him hardly...we were in a state of shock. Joe Guercio said "He's finished..." I remember crying. He could barely get through the introductions...he cut the show very short and it seemed like it went on forever.
(Quote attributed to John Wilkinson)

Judging from the above review, there must have been another show that day that we don't know about! :wink:

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:13 pm

Scott Hayward wrote:I had to dig up Hopkins' Final Years and look what was actually written about this show. Here are some excerpts:
Elvis comes up the stairs. He was all gut. He was slurring. He was so ****** up...It was so bad the words to the songs were barely intelligible. You couldn't hear him hardly...we were in a state of shock. Joe Guercio said "He's finished..." I remember crying. He could barely get through the introductions...he cut the show very short and it seemed like it went on forever.
(Quote attributed to John Wilkinson)

Judging from the above review, there must have been another show that day that we don't know about! :wink:

They must be remembering a different show. Regardless of whether anyone agrees or disagrees with my review, one fact is inescapable - the show goes on for 75 minutes - and by Elvis standards that is no way cut short!! He was really enjoying doing this show.

Perhaps Straight Arrow issued the wrong show :wink:

Re: Chaos? - Well hardly!!!

Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:18 pm

BIGREDG wrote:After all the negative hype, perhaps that is not altogether surprising, but if a myth has ever been dispelled, I think this Cd does just that ...

Please. Stop. Now.

For all the excuses you make for the performance, via an audience-recordied document, it's obvious that something is VERY wrong on stage.

"Negative hype"? It's almost exactly 32 years since this blight on the Presley career occurred, can't you just accept reality? What John Wilkinson told Hopkins in 1979 was truthful. He was there, you were not.

This ill-fated tour marks the beginning of the end. And that's sad.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:32 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

The end started earlier...this tour made it obvious.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:50 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
BIGREDG wrote:After all the negative hype, perhaps that is not altogether surprising, but if a myth has ever been dispelled, I think this Cd does just that ...

Please. Stop. Now.

For all the excuses you make for the performance, via an audience-recordied document, it's obvious that something is VERY wrong on stage.

"Negative hype"? It's almost exactly 32 years since this blight on the Presley career occurred, can't you just accept reality? What John Wilkinson told Hopkins in 1979 was truthful. He was there, you were not.

JC, I make no excuses for anything. Where do you see excuses?

Judging by the audio document, which is what I was reviewing, there are no excuses necessary. This show is nowhere near as bad as we have been led to believe. That is undeniable. You are perhaps a little deluded?

Have you even heard this cd? or were you there? I am sure that it was a "different" experience to see and hear the show, and maybe Elvis' appearance added to the impression of a man out of control, but Elvis is coherent in both speech and song.

I have no idea why your posts are so obnoxious- it truly is not necessary. Your reality is apparently a little different to most others, but that does no really excuse your rudeness.

Please post your examples of how it is obvious that something is very wrong on stage.

Will you at least accept that the sources that you are relying on are wrong in the assertion that Elvis cut the show short, or is it your experience that Elvis usually played for more than 75 minutes?

Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:54 pm

Well I'm not buying anymore subpar shows much less one that is even advertised as such!(i'm not a completest) Elvis gave plenty of good shows... it's almost like the "importers" are sitting on the good shows, and releasing the subpar ones first! Thank goodness that Madison is releasing another June show... Elvis was in good voice and frame of mind(for most part) during this tour!

JEFF d
EP fan

Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:24 pm

BIGREDG wrote:JC, I make no excuses for anything. Where do you see excuses?

Your entire review is an excuse, as any keen reader will notice.

BIGREDG wrote:This show is nowhere near as bad as we have been led to believe. That is undeniable. You are perhaps a little deluded?

Wilkinson was there -- you were not. Who's deluded? Not me.

BIGREDG wrote:I have no idea why your posts are so obnoxious ...

Probably because there is nothing obnoxious in either of my posts on this topic. You confuse being forthright with being "obnoxious," perhaps because I shine the light of truth a little too brightly. Sorry!

Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:33 am

Your entire review is an excuse, as any keen reader will notice.

Excuse for what? I am merely saying that the show is not as bad as we have been led to believe. I have undertaken a track by track analysis of the cd and can tell you that Elvis is by no means incoherent throughout the show. Of course you are free to continue to believe that it is that bad, but you will be wrong.

Wilkinson was there -- you were not. Who's deluded? Not me.

But, I do not have to have been there to see the length of the show. If John is sooooo badly wrong about that, how can you blindly believe the rest. I asked you before, is 75 minutes a short show? By no means, and you know it. Conversely, it is a long show. You see, you are deluded.

We have already seen this week that band members recollections are unreliable. Remember Tony Browns assertion that the Holding the Fort show was a fantastic show? Well it wasn't. Is he a liar? No, he just got the dates mixed up in all likelihood. But I guess because Tony says it was, you will continue to believe that it is a great show even when everybody else has discovered the truth. Light of truth - now that is a good joke!!

Probably because there is nothing obnoxious in either of my posts on this topic. You confuse being forthright with being "obnoxious.

There is a fine line between forthright and obnoxious - a line which you frequently cross. In reviewing your initial post on this thread I find that you were presumptious and a little rude, but not quite obnoxious in this instance.

You seem to assume that I am saying all was rosy, and Elvis was at his best. I clearly am not, as any open minded reader of my review could see. I acknowledge poor performances (including a worst I ever heard), and have no doubt that Elvis was over-medicated on this night, but it is a million miles away from what we have been led to believe.

I await your examples of how you have concluded that it was obvious that something was badly wrong on stage that night, because the audio evidence is far from damning.
Last edited by BigredG on Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:01 am

Cool it folks.. :wink:
Did not recieve the show yet, but here's my conclusion:

The college park myth is based on the 2nd show, now that one IS shocking :(
And over the years, everybody assumed the first show to be even worse..

There's nothing wrong to finally understand the first show wasn't that bad.
It is no crime to come out and say: "I enjoyed this show"

It's very possible the TCB guys mixed up the two shows.
The 2nd show probably got stuck in their memory!! and thats no surprise.

But in a couple of days, I can judge myself..

Cheers, RJ

Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:26 am

Amen to BIGREDG, nice run down on the show. This wouldn't be the first time a long held belief on Elvis's career proved to be somewhat inaccurate or exaggerated.

DJC, the arrogance with which you use opinion disguised as fact hasn't really worked this time. A little more respect for other's thoughts and opinions would work wonders for your relationship with the members of this forum.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:48 am

I havn't heard this release-yet! but i like big reds rundown of the show.I'm sure i'll have something to say once i hear it too, but my impression is the audience loved the show and paid to see Elvis and a weird Elvis they got!!!

Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:57 am

studiorambo wrote:... you use opinion disguised as fact ...

Really? Where?

Did the concert NOT occur almost 32 years ago?

Does Jerry Hopkins book "The Final Years" not have comments on the show, as made by TCB band rhythm guitarist John Wilkinson?

Is Elvis' performance and speech smooth and coherent?

If you missed these, here's another fact: you need to take a reading comprehension class.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
studiorambo wrote:... you use opinion disguised as fact ...

Really? Where?

Did the concert NOT occur almost 32 years ago?

Does Jerry Hopkins book "The Final Years" not have comments on the show, as made by TCB band rhythm guitarist John Wilkinson?

Is Elvis' performance and speech smooth and coherent?

If you missed these, here's another fact: you need to take a reading comprehension class.

Selectively picking which points of your initial post stand up to my critisism, whilst ignoring those that don't only makes your arguement even weaker.

At law, I believe Jerry Hopkins's account of what John Wilkinson told him is called heresay. You are suggesting that TCB Band members are infallible, which we know they are not. The conviction with which you judge Wilkinson's account as "truthful" is laughable, how would you really know?

As for the show being a "blight" on Elvis's career, well that again is an opinion held by you, but not everyone else, which is not a good start to establishing fact.

BIGREDG has given his first hand account of listening to the recording of the show, there's little point in you trying to prove your opinions are BIGGER than his.

Again, you would do better to constructively put forward your opinions as an alternative view on matters rather than passing them off as undeniable fact. Just give it a try, you'll be amazed at how peoples reactions to you begin to change. Just don't tell me that it's everyone else who has a problem.

Your behaviour here makes me wonder why you are so in need of proving yourself to be superior beyond the point of establishing 'fact', but to hold an opinion and belittle all others? Your last line in the quoted text is an example of this, but it's ok, I'm secure enough that petty baseless insults don't bother me :) I'm guessing you were bullied or were insecure at some point? Regular people are happy and secure in their own opinions and aren't threatened by others holding opinions contrary to theirs.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:57 am

The position that this show even shows up on anyone's radar is only because of the myth status that is has attained. If the general public reads a bio on Elvis or for that matter watching any documentary, there has never been a mention of this show, is evident enough that it didn't hurt Elvis' career.
His last TV special has a far more reaching impact of public perception than this show, available on audience recorded tape and generally heard by hard-core fans and whoever was there.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:09 am

ekenee wrote:The position that this show even shows up on anyone's radar is only because of the myth status that is has attained. If the general public reads a bio on Elvis or for that matter watching any documentary, there has never been a mention of this show, is evident enough that it didn't hurt Elvis' career.
His last TV special has a far more reaching impact of public perception than this show, available on audience recorded tape and generally heard by hard-core fans and whoever was there.

common sense prevails. as for Bigred, he gives a track by track analysis to validate his opinion. DJC can only come up with John Wilkinson's opinion back in 1979.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:12 am

Dont worry about it Bigredg, arseholes are like opinions - everyone's got one! Or is it the other way around? :P

Thanks for the review, and your opinion of it.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:54 am

studiorambo wrote:Again, you would do better ...

If you believe for even a second that I'm impressed by someone with the log-in name "rambo," who has only 26 posts on this MB and dances around my direct, factual reply to his bullsh*t accusation while telling me what to do, you're sadly mistaken.

Respect is earned, not given. So far, you're in the red, "rambo."

Buh-bye.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:00 am

Thanks for the review, Big Red! This is the kind of stuff I want to read on this message board. Much appreciated.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:36 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Wilkinson was there -- you were not. Who's deluded? Not me.

John Wilkinson also says there are 12 unreleased songs from the 'Jungle Room Sessions'.......

Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:24 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
studiorambo wrote:Again, you would do better ...

If you believe for even a second that I'm impressed by someone with the log-in name "rambo," who has only 26 posts on this MB and dances around my direct, factual reply to his bullsh*t accusation while telling me what to do, you're sadly mistaken.

Respect is earned, not given. So far, you're in the red, "rambo."

Buh-bye.

You talk of respect, but then devalue it by linking it to the accumulation of forum postings. Anything that is earned by posting enough of the drivel i've quoted you as writing above is a real prized possession :wink: Did the FECC moderators send you out a little certificate when you reached 5000 postings? For you information, impressing you is not something I would waste my time doing, if it were something I did, I would try and impress someone worth looking up to. As for my time at the FECC forum, I was here long before your ID ever showed up.

Your critisism of me on the basis of a user ID is laughable and makes you seem just sad. The intelligence you strive so hard to show you have and impress upon everyone on this forum is just a thin veneer over your sad little self.

And by the way, respect isn't something that's earned, decent people afford all others respect at the very beginning. Respect is something that is lost by your actions...something you've done in a lot of peoples eyes a long time ago.