All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:35 am

Steve_M wrote: Which show is it (audio) that was recorded (part) in March ?

I've got the 2 disc set Good Rockn' Tonight that Joey put out in 2000 "The Complete LH Archives" and there isn't anything listed from March, just 10/16/54, 1/15/55, 1/22/55, 4/19/55, 4/30/55, 7/15/55, 8/20/55 and 12/15/56

Was something else released later from March?

Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:11 pm

James, sorry, but I'm not saying it's ever been released as yet.

Keith, can you give some background on the songs that are believed to have been sung at this show and the where's and whys etc ?

Tweedle Dee, Little Mama, Money Honey, Shake Rattle And Roll and possibly Uncle Penn.

Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:23 pm

Steve_M wrote:Which show is it (audio) that was recorded (part) in March ?

There was a live broadcast on Saturday, March 19, 1955 at Houston's Eagles Hall, which Elvis was a part of. Five songs surfaced on bootleg in 1978 and have been floating around ever since on various LPs and CDs, always at the wrong speed:

Good Rockin' Tonight
Baby, Let's Play House
Blue Moon Of Kentucky
I Got A Woman
That's All Right

It was apparently NOT a "Hayride" remote.

Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:51 pm

Sorry Doc, that wasn't the show I had in mind, I'd forgotten we have the Eagles Hall one from the 19th, maybe subconsciously I was thinking of that all along but I'd made some notes relating to the 5th that I've since looked up and I have the songs I'd mentioned as being performed but with uncertainty to Uncle Penn.

Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:21 pm

This is probably beating a dead horse since Scotty pretty much confirmed no performance with Roy but I heard from the folks in Odessa's libray and they said,

"My assistant and I found reference to Roy Orbison tv show, but nothing that states Elvis was on his show.
We have "Dark Star, The roy Orbison Story" and "Elvis In Texas" but neither clearly states this fact.
We found a web site that states Elvis and Johnny Cash was on his show.
http://www.RoyObison.musiccitynetwork.com

Another web site states: Elvis live 1955 January 4, 1955 Odessa, Texas KOSA-TV Roy Orbison's afternoon
television show confirmed show--probable date

You have probably seen most of these sites already.

One newspaper clipping from the Midland newspaper 4-24-87 states "He landed his own TV show on Kosa-TV.
as host of that show, sponsored by Pioneer Furniture, Orbison met and became friends with many of the up and
coming performers who passed through Odessa on tour--performers like Johnny Cash and Elvis Presley".

This is all we found so far. I will keep your e-mail address and if I find anymore, I will get in touch."

The clipping and other references are probably things that further propagate the myth.

Oh well.

Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:44 am

Steve_M wrote:... I'd made some notes relating to the 5th that I've since looked up and I have the songs I'd mentioned as being performed but with uncertainty to Uncle Penn.

I've never read any confirmed songs for the March 5 "Hayride" show, but on April 2, his set is:

Little Mama
That's All Right
You're A Heartbreaker
Shake, Rattle And Roll

Maybe we'll hear some of it in the near future.

JamesVRoy wrote:Another web site states: Elvis live 1955 January 4, 1955 Odessa, Texas KOSA-TV Roy Orbison's afternoon television show confirmed show--probable date.

Interesting that Roy would have Elvis on his local TV program when he didn't SEE Elvis in concert until one of Presley's February 16 shows at Odessa Senior High School Field ...

It's good we strive to keep the record straight. True history is always more interesting than myth!

Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:55 am

Don't know if this helps - probably old news, but...

This is part of an interview with Ernst and WWE, back in May/June 2000:

-------------------------------------

WWE: What about the Roy Orbison kinescope?

ERNST: The Roy Orbison is funny in a way that you know about it, I know about it and this friend of ours Cooley in Nashville knows about it, and I'm sure Sam knows about it. The problem is that none of us have ever heard it. Barbara Orbison, an extraordinary lady, said that there were so many things that Roy was proud of. He mentioned who had been on his TV show from the older days and you know his favorite moments with this and that and he loved Elvis Presley. She talked about how they had been talking about motor cycles and all that. She says that, my whole problem with this whole story is that, Roy loved Elvis so much that she cannot understand that if Elvis had been on Roy's T.V. show that he never ever mentioned it.

WWE: Well, people's memories are bad, but I agree with you. I remember when Danny Mayo (a man from Alabama who HAS a kinescope of Elvis on a Roy Orbison TV show from Odessa, Tx in either 1954 or 1955) called me up and he mentioned these things about the show. I only knew about it, because of a guy named Mick Perry in England who was a friend of Orbison's. I don't know whatever happened to Mick Perry, but I wrote to him for years. He told me about it in 1975 that Elvis was on the shows. I had no idea Orbison even had a show. Maybe most people didn't.

ERNST: Neither did I.

WWE: I know. But that was amazing when Mayo called me out of the blue, I think it was '81 or '82 and told me, not only, he told me the sponsor, the right station. It's like you just don't make that up. I don't know where he could have gotten the information if he didn't really have the material.

ERNST: The only thing is that I worry when Cooley describes Mayo as a complete lunatic.

WWE: I know.

ERNST: I mean, Cooley is some personality himself. We know how much Cooley loved Elvis and Cooley never heard it either. I have nothing more on that. I've been researching this for a long time. I know a lot more about what happened out there, but I've never been able to.... I've even gone through the newspapers out there for every single day of that year to see if I could see Elvis Presley guest on Roy Orbison's TV show or anything like that, but it's never mentioned in the newspaper.

-------------------------------------

Rich

Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:42 pm

weel, as for the March 5, 1955 songs we have proof in the Joyce Railsback diary that was reprinted in the book Elvis - The Hayride Years.

Elvis came on stage at 9:00 p.m. as act number 13 and sang Tweedlee Dee Dee, Little Mama, Money Honey and Shake Rattle & Roll.

When doing research for my book back in the 1990´s I seem to recall reading in the TV-program for March 5, 1955 that there actually WAS a show scheduled for TV that night. I don't have any copy of that program so I'm not completely sure I actually saw it or if I just looked for it and never found anything. But someone living in Shreveport (or any other city that has copies of the Shreveport Times) could easily check if the show was scheduled for TV on any Saturday during 1955.

Sincerely
Brian
http://www.brian56.dk

Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:16 pm

Thanks Brian - the diary! Yes, that was the source, but the only source, nevertheless a fairly good one.

Good call about the Shreveport Times. Anyone out there ?

Found the following to be a typical internet info entry:
March 5, 1955: Elvis Presley appears on TV for the first time--not, as is widely believed, on The Ed Sullivan Show, but on a local TV show in Shreveport, Louisiana, called Louisiana Hayride.

Who ever said Ed Sullivan anyway ? :lol:

The problem being that by just repeating the same info over and over it doesn't give any more credibility to the info as being a fact, maybe it just raises peoples perception of it being a fact.

I'd place a wager on it being true if I had to make a choice one way or another for the reasons I mentioned earlier.

Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:49 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:I've never read any confirmed songs for the March 5 "Hayride" show

As Brian has already pointed out, this diary entry has confirmed which songs Elvis sang on this night.

The reason I have Elvis singing 'Uncle Pen' (?) on this date on my list, is because of an "Elvis Monthly" article from July 1993 (Issue 402). The article entitled "Poor Man's Gold" by David L Smith, lists songs that are supposed to be verified as to exist at that time, including some that have now seen the light of day - "Hearts Of Stone", "My Way" (Studio '71), "Johnny B Goode" (Studio '71 - part of this just released on 'Let It Roll') among others!

Notice that the article also mentions that this was Elvis' first TV appearance?

Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:06 pm

Keith, the actual diary puts me doubting the TV airing of this LH broadcast.

The reason would be the length in time of the show. notice how many songs Elvis sang and also his turn number.

That rate if applied to the rest of the show would make for quite a lengthy show - one which would be very bold to do for a test pilot situation.

However, that's not exaclty a strong argument in its own right.

some would argue that pilot shows are longer by nature because there's more to test and try.

Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:16 pm

Steve - The reason I posted the "Diary" scan was to show which songs Elvis sang on this date, as the Doc said he hadn't seen anything confirming this.

The reason for the second scan was to show why I have a (?) question mark against 'Uncle Pen' on my set list for this day.

I didn't post them to confirm that this was Elvis' very first TV appearance I have my doubts too!
Last edited by Keith F on Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:19 pm

Yes Keith, I know. That's why I specified that the diary put me in doubt about the TV broadcast and not in any doubts about which songs were performed etc.

What is never going to be easy to comprehend is that nearly all fans have never heard Elvis performing Little Mama and to top that off the chances are he was filmed performing it!

Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:42 pm

http://hometown.aol.com/musbuff/page69.htm
http://www.history-of-rock.com/elvis_presleytwo.htm

Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:21 pm

Hey,

I know this has been mentioned before in the thread, but I distinctly recall a Roy Orbison interview somewhere on German TV in the early to mid-eighties, where Roy stated himself having had Elvis as a guest on his show twice in 1955.

The show was called PORTRAIT OF A LEGEND, I believe, although I might be confusing it with a similar title / show.

I also believe to have read somewhere, that Elvis was a guest on a Texas television program which also featured Buddy Holly & Bob Montgomery in 1955. This was in late '55, after Buddy & Bob had recorded DOWN THE LINE, their first Rockabilly offering .....

But, sadly, these were apparently not filmed as kinescopes, perhaps the audio was taped, but I doubt we'll ever see an earlier full live performance of Elvis ( incl. audio ) than the first 1956 Dorsey Bros. Stage Show .....

I'm not counting the short silent footage clips of him at the Hayride, and even the color stuff from Lubbock Texas and Magnolia Gardens in Houston, as that isn't anywhere near a full performance and the audio is probably lost forever .....

Cheers

BC55