All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:23 pm

ColinB wrote:
Yes, he didn't say "He was first seen in....."

But "We saw him first in............"

As if including the viewers in the 'we' bit.

My take on it is that they weren't promoting anything. Tommy introduced Bill as the most listened to DJ. Bill said "We want to introduce" when referring to Elvis ans someone that they were familiar with and that the viewing audience soon would be. The "we" refers to him and the production people of the the movie "short" they had made (past tense). He refers to Elvis as an artist that came up overnight as others like Johnnie Ray (who also was in the short) and he predicted that Elvis would be making television history. Good prediction.

when was the

Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:50 pm

... Johnny Ray wasn't part of the 55 movie short. But Haley and his

Comets were! And The Four Lads [ oohhh so square...] as well, if I

remember correctly? There was a lenghty topic on this subject,

about half a year ago. It gives many answers, but still leaves

questions. The Doc will surely know where to dig it up?!

Re: when was the

Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:56 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... Johnny Ray wasn't part of the 55 movie short. But Haley and his

Comets were! And The Four Lads [ oohhh so square...] as well, if I

remember correctly? There was a lenghty topic on this subject,

about half a year ago. It gives many answers, but still leaves

questions. The Doc will surely know where to dig it up?!

I'm not sure then who actually was in it, Wikipedia said:"Performers featured included Elvis Presley, Bill Haley and His Comets, Pat Boone, LaVern Baker, Roy Hamilton, Johnnie Ray and others. "

Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:56 pm

Peter Guralnick says that Randle had already filmed some shorts and was going to do others in New York (Patti Page, Tony Bennett, Nat Cole etc). Presumably, Johnnie Ray would have been one of the 'others' somewhere other than Cleveland.

Pat Boone was on the Cleveland bill.

Guralnick says Elvis performed That's All Right, Blue Moon of Kentucky, Good Rockin' Tonight, Mystery Train. Oh, lord, where is that film?

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:14 pm

I understand that Johnny Cash was also present on the Pied Piper film but was out of camera range.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:28 pm

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:
Marko wrote:Obviously Randle was promoting the film.

But why promote a movie that hadn't been shown anywhere? It sounds like the viewers should have been familiar with the movie he's talking about, that's the strange part.

So true!

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:37 pm

Two TV appearances on Charline Arthur's TV show in the spring of 1955, and two appearances on Roy Orbison's TV show in october 1955.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:10 pm

3577 wrote:Two TV appearances on Charline Arthur's TV show in the spring of 1955, and two appearances on Roy Orbison's TV show in october 1955.

That according to this book anyway: http://musicmentor0.tripod.com/book_elv ... ntory.html
but can you tell me what TV show of Charline's they're talking about and when? I can't find any other reference to that.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:47 pm

Spellbinder wrote:But, please God, one day we will see it. Or is that now a forlorn hope?

You are so forlorn.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:01 pm

3577 wrote:Two TV appearances on Charline Arthur's TV show in the spring of 1955, and two appearances on Roy Orbison's TV show in october 1955.

Uh-huh. Source? None of these are likely to have happened, and even less so that footage exists, if somehow true. This is the first I've ever read of minor "Hayride" act Charlene Arthur having a TV show.

The afternoon filming by Universal for the fabled "Top Jock" (aka "A Day In The Life Of A Famous Disc Jockey") movie short -- a film about fifteen minutes in length -- was at the Brooklyn High Auditorium in Cleveland, OH on October 20, 1955. Along with Elvis were Pat Boone, the Four Lads, and Bill Haley and His Comets. The finished film would probably have only featured two songs from Presley at most.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:07 pm

I asked Scotty anyway. I'll let you know if/what he says/recalls

Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:33 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Uh-huh. Source? None of these are likely to have happened, and even less so that footage exists, if somehow true. This is the first I've ever read of minor "Hayride" act Charlene Arthur having a TV show.

The afternoon filming by Universal for the fabled "Top Jock" (aka "A Day In The Life Of A Famous Disc Jockey") movie short -- a film about fifteen minutes in length -- was at the Brooklyn High Auditorium in Cleveland, OH on October 20, 1955. Along with Elvis were Pat Boone, the Four Lads, and Bill Haley and His Comets. The finished film would probably have only featured two songs from Presley at most.

Not happened?? Says who?? Im not saying im right. But have'd read it several times in the past.

And yes, also stated in the book wich JamesVRoy mentioned. I can't imagne it's all speculation or lies. We can conclude it was 1955 and not 1956.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:02 pm

3577 wrote: We can conclude it was 1955 and not 1956.

I don't think we can conclude anything as of yet. Most of this same misinformation seems to have propagated several times and continues to do so. At best Johnny Cash was said to have appeared on Roy's show, whether Elvis did is still up in the air.
I've also emailed Bucky Barrett who played guitar in his band the last few years to see if Roy ever mentioned anyhing to him. Let's see what Scotty says, too.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:29 pm

3577 wrote:Im not saying im right.

Yeah, OK.

3577 wrote:But have'd read it several times in the past.

WHERE have you "read it several times"? This is the second time I've asked for a source. You blow smoke up everyone's wazoo when you post crap without any attribution.

Surely, you're smarter and more courteous than that.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:28 am

I have my doubts about Orbisons show having Elvis on in person, even if it was just for a small nod towards the folks of "Hope to see ya'll at the show tomorrow night", but lets hope Ernsts latest delve into that era shows us more info one way or the other.

The only show that is likely to have had Elvis on it TV wise in 1955 was the one - off test pilot show the Louisianna Hayride did in the spring of that year (March ?). Elvis was by then very much the Hayrides house act and it would seem strange if they didn't show case him and anything else they could muster for such an occasion.

If we can get an established date we would be able to determine if he did appear on the local broadcast, but if it was a Saturday then odds are he did appear on it due to the amount of Hayride shows Elvis did in 55 on the Saturday. But for now we have little to prove he did.

Re: When was the first time Elvis was on tv?

Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:14 pm

USMale wrote:Was it the June 5th 1956 Milton Berle Show?

Hi USMALE - I like your new avatar!

From your question it would seem that your are relatively new to the Elvis world of obsession :D ? If so - then you are in for a world of joy. There is so much material available now that I could only dream about when I was growing up - BORN 1966

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:00 pm

I haven't heard back from Scotty yet but I checked with Bucky Barrett who played guitar with Roy the last few years to see if he knew of Elvis being on Roy's show. He had never heard of it and didn't know if he had so he contacted the biggest authority on roy he knows, Glen Agritelley. "He is the world's largest collector of Roy Orbison memorabilia outside of the estate. He even owns Roy's 1985 Porsche. His collection will be on a 3 month exhibit at Arizona State University next year." He said Glen never heard of it either and that this was the first question he's ever seen him not know an answer to concerning Roy.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:38 pm

I think the Charline show and Roy show story is a myth. Scotty says that he remembers Charline being on shows with them, but he was not even aware that she had a tv show. He has no recollection of having been anywhere with Roy Orbison on stage. He says that the only way they could have appeared on either one is if someone made a film of them in performance and put them on tv without their knowledge. He does not think it happened happened though.

That's all I got

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:27 pm

Steve_M wrote:I have my doubts about Orbisons show having Elvis on in person, even if it was just for a small nod towards the folks of "Hope to see ya'll at the show tomorrow night", but lets hope Ernsts latest delve into that era shows us more info one way or the other.

The only show that is likely to have had Elvis on it TV wise in 1955 was the one - off test pilot show the Louisianna Hayride did in the spring of that year (March ?). Elvis was by then very much the Hayrides house act and it would seem strange if they didn't show case him and anything else they could muster for such an occasion.

If we can get an established date we would be able to determine if he did appear on the local broadcast, but if it was a Saturday then odds are he did appear on it due to the amount of Hayride shows Elvis did in 55 on the Saturday. But for now we have little to prove he did.

Good guess, Steve. I called a couple of friends who are more interested in the 50's then i am.

One of them send me an e-mail:

''First, it needs to be explained about the first television appearances of Elvis. Beginning in late 1954 on radio station KWKH in Schreveport, Louisiana, Elvis and the Blue Moon Boys (Scotty Moore and Bill Black) appeared on a program called Louisiana Hayride. This program was later moved to television. Elvis made his television debut on this program on March 5, 1955. Even though Elvis would eventually appear fifty times on this program, it was still a regional telecast so it didn't has as much impact as the national ones the following year.''

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:56 pm

Joey Kent owns the Louisiana Hayride Archives so I emailed him. I haven't heard back yet but did a search and there is a decent interview with him up. In it he's asked:

FECC: Were there ever any Hayride shows broadcast on TV, either locally or regionally?

Joey Kent : At one time in mid-55, KWKH attempted a televised Hayride show on local CBS affiliate KSLA-TV 12. The show never made it past the pilot stage. Rumors abound that the show was recorde on kinescope but this simply is not true. Kinescopes were very expensive pieces of equipment and KSLA was a brand new station that couldn't afford such a luxury.

He does not say whether Elvis appeared on that "pilot".

the interview : http://www.elvis.com.au/presley/intervi ... kent.shtml

Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:41 pm

Yes, that's as much as I knew.
There was only ever one broadcast the LH did on TV and it seems that as a test pilot it was not a sucess as they never took the option up to repeat it.

I'd argue the case for the Kinescope not being made purely on the grounds of cost as being a little naive.

This was the test pilot show. It had to be recorded in order to examine and showcase for marketing / advertising and evaluation purposes.

"We made a pilot show but you can't ever see it" ?????? Huh ? Wonder what the execs and advertisers would have made of that.
That 's just never going to have been the case. I'm not saying the recording still exists in any format, but at one time in 1955 it had to have done. The cheapest way was to film the TV screen (this is what you see with a few of the 56 shows).

The March 5th rumoured date of the broadcast IF TRUE means Elvis appeared on TV. He did the LH show that day so IF it was the day of the televised pilot then he was on it.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:15 pm

Steve_M wrote: The March 5th rumoured date of the broadcast IF TRUE means Elvis appeared on TV. He did the LH show that day so IF it was the day of the televised pilot then he was on it.

The problem lies in that most of these things and dates are just that, rumor. The Day by Day book lists them at the Hayride on March 5th. The Elvis recordings site lists them potentially in Memphis at Sun. Joey's interview said the telecast (if there was one) was mid 55 which may or may not imply March. Very hard to be concrete about anything, like this anyway. You would think though if it actually was televised, local or not, someone would recall seeing it, or writing about it, at the very least in a local paper.

Enough Already!

Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:26 pm

3577 wrote:I called a couple of friends ... One of them send me an e-mail: ''First, it needs to be explained ... Elvis made his television debut on this program on March 5, 1955. Even though Elvis would eventually appear fifty times on this program, it was still a regional telecast so it didn't has as much impact as the national ones the following year.''

This is COMPLETE bullsh*t.

Number one, not a SINGLE credible source has ever presented evidence that the "Louisiana Hayride" had TV broadcasts which featured Elvis. In fact, at least one history of the "Hayride" doesn't even mention television:

http://www.stageofstars.com/history.html

As for your "friends," they need a history lesson.

Elvis only appeared 32 times on the "Hayride" in 1955, and only 7 times in 1954. That's a total of 39 appearances prior to 1956. In addition, several of these were remote broadcasts outside the state.

And I've asked TWICE for your source on the Arthur and Orbison "TV shows" -- I wonder why you've failed to respond?

JamesVRoy wrote:I think the Charline show and Roy show story is a myth. Scotty says that he remembers Charline being on shows with them, but he was not even aware that she had a tv show. He has no recollection of having been anywhere with Roy Orbison on stage.

Thank you, James.

And good night to those people wasting our time with crap stories.

Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:47 am

I heard from Joey

I asked,"Do you know if any of the Hayride appearances of Elvis' were televised, and if so when?"

He said, "No, I don't believe they were. Channel 12 in its infancy produced a 30 minute Hayride show for local TV around 1955, but they couldn't afford the very expensive kinescope machines, so I don't believe any recordings of the shows were made. I can't even verify Elvis was on any of the Channel 12 pilots."

I'm out, unless I hear from the library in Odessa
Jim

Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:20 am

JamesVRoy wrote:
Steve_M wrote: The March 5th rumoured date of the broadcast IF TRUE means Elvis appeared on TV. He did the LH show that day so IF it was the day of the televised pilot then he was on it.

The Day by Day book lists them at the Hayride on March 5th. The Elvis recordings site lists them potentially in Memphis at Sun. Joey's interview said the telecast (if there was one) was mid 55 which may or may not imply March.

I've spoken to "Steve Sholes" at length about that. If I recall going back a few years now it was the first thing we ever had a discussion about. If I recall correctly he did agree that the March 5th date at
Sun was unliekly due to the miles Elvis would have had to have travelled before AND after to maintain the rest of his known whereabouts.

A year or two back we did get confirmation that the LH did broadcast one pilot TV show in 1955 but that was it. Nothing confirming that Elvis was on it or anyone for that matter.
But given that 2 out of 3 Saturdays in 1955 featured Elvis on the LH then that's the odds on him having apeared on it. That also means depending on your glass that 1 in 3 is that he didn't. But again, being as he was their in house act so to speak chances are they would have featured him especially as he was well known to the LH audiences at home on the radio as well as those that went to see the show.

Which show is it (audio) that was recorded (part) in March ?