All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:14 am

thenexte wrote:Did anybody ever tell Mr. Simms that he bears a resemblance to Albert King?

Apparently, any IDIOT who said something that stupid to Mr. Sims usually got a fist to the face -- as hard as it is to believe, all black people actually do NOT look alike.

Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:01 am

For the record, the great Albert King resembles this obscure August Simms character about as much as Elvis resembled Tony Curtis or James Dean or Marlon Brando in the most general of senses.

Elvis looked more like his idols then he did to say, Woody Allen, Burgess Meredith or Tony Randall or Mitch Miller or Sammy Davis, but he didn't really look all that much like his inspirations...

For a time, a young Albert (Nelson) "King" was able to pass himself off as the "brother" of the more famous B.B. King, going so far as to add the name "King." But this is only because he was a tall, strapping fellow from the Mississippi Delta playing equally searing blues guitar and singing his ass off..

But they didn't really look anything like each other outside of the pigment of their skin...

So this mystery is solved, right? Hard to believe! You had me stumped!

Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:04 am

Well to be fair a lot of people thought that from certain angles that Elvis bore a passing resemblance to Marlon Brando and Dean. Hardly dopplegangers but a resemblance. Jackie Gleason signed Elvis to "Stage Show" reportedly because he thought Elvis looked like Brando with a guitar. I used to have a vintage article about Elvis signing with RCA that mentioned that Elvis "looked a little like Marlon Brando and sounded a little like "Johnnie Ray". I disagreed with both comments but I saw the point. I think the Albert King comparison here is kind of in the same way especially given the picture of King that was displayed here. It's a passing resemblance and to go into indicating its racist is a little much. For most people Albert King's face is not burned into their memories. It's the same way when people first saw Elvis. He wasn't as ingrained in their minds as he is now.

It would have been way cool if it were Albert King since King recorded an Elvis tribute album in the mid-1960s.

Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Kylan wrote:why does it have to be an entertainer? its probably no one of the sort.

You're right. It's probably the MGM studio janitor on his day off, popping by to say "hi" and get a quick picture. That happened all the time with Presley. Thanks for clearing this up.

He who laughs last...... :lol:

Well spotted Kylan.

Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:04 pm

Larry Dickman wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Kylan wrote:why does it have to be an entertainer? its probably no one of the sort.

You're right. It's probably the MGM studio janitor on his day off, popping by to say "hi" and get a quick picture. That happened all the time with Presley. Thanks for clearing this up.

Well spotted Kylan.

Certainly the best dressed janitor. :lol:

Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:54 pm

A janitor and a member of the Jackie Wilson entourage are two different worlds, but being first to suggest perhaps it wasn't a performer was correct.

likethebike wrote:Well to be fair a lot of people thought that from certain angles that Elvis bore a passing resemblance to Marlon Brando and Dean. Hardly dopplegangers but a resemblance. Jackie Gleason signed Elvis to "Stage Show" reportedly because he thought Elvis looked like Brando with a guitar. I used to have a vintage article about Elvis signing with RCA that mentioned that Elvis "looked a little like Marlon Brando and sounded a little like "Johnnie Ray". I disagreed with both comments but I saw the point. I think the Albert King comparison here is kind of in the same way especially given the picture of King that was displayed here. It's a passing resemblance and to go into indicating its racist is a little much. For most people Albert King's face is not burned into their memories. It's the same way when people first saw Elvis. He wasn't as ingrained in their minds as he is now.

It would have been way cool if it were Albert King since King recorded an Elvis tribute album in the mid-1960s.

I'm always slow to assume the worst like that but as much as Elvis in a general sense looks like a '50s Brando (like Albert King to say BB King or to August Sims), on his face alone it's hard to make the case. Maybe I just know Albert King too much to have seen any likeness. That's usually the barometer: how much you know the face...So to me, if you don't really know the face, it's best not to rummage around for the first ten or 12 black artists one remembers... :lol:

That Stax Albert King tribute (recorded prior to Elvis' death, isn't it?) is quite good. His own body of work is even better. Folks, speaking of the grandmaster, there's lots of great work he recorded, if you've missed it.

Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:14 pm

Dr. Carpenter has made the most overtly ridiculous claim that just because this fellow is black -- he must be a blues singer. Classy. I think this one was known as Old Black Joe.

Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:06 pm

He clearly looked like an entertainer from the '60s. Back then, that very often and pretty much meant Rhythm & Blues, particularly blues if the man was of the age shown in the photograph.

Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:54 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:He clearly looked like an entertainer from the '60s. Back then, that very often and pretty much meant Rhythm & Blues, particularly blues if the man was of the age shown in the photograph.

Another DJC apologist?

Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:25 am

DJC will come near this thread no more....he made a balls-up....so he's done a runner like he usually does.

He's so predictable it's almost funny.

:lol:

Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:09 am

Doc's sincere interest in this subject was apparent from the get-go.

Larry Dickman wrote:Another DJC apologist?

Dickman (and who are you, by the way? You remind me of someone :lol: ), a search of the archives by a newbie or infrequent visitor would clearly show that I clash quite strongly with Carpenter from time to time. Pay attention, will ya?

Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:24 am

Larry Dickman wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Well spotted Kylan.

As any observant member of this MB can see, Kiwialan suggested this 3 days earlier...

Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:43 am

It's not that novel of a point. Truthfully, it occurred to others here besides myself and Kylan, et. al. But good work, all the same. Every once in a while, this thread earns its keep in Elvisdom beyond just being a place for fellow fans/ obsessives :lol:

Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:33 am

Scarre wrote:
Larry Dickman wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Well spotted Kylan.

As any observant member of this MB can see, Kiwialan suggested this 3 days earlier...

He did indeed....kudos to kiwialan......my post was more meant as a broadside to DJC's outlandish dismissal of Kylan's post.

Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:51 pm

DJC still AWOL then??........ typical.

lmfao

Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:55 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Every once in a while, this thread earns its keep in Elvisdom ...

And on that note I'm going to request that this topic now be locked.

After 153 posts, seven (7) pages, and 4465 views -- !! -- it's obvious the losers are trying to wreck another nice dialogue.

I want to thank the thirty-eight (38) members who honestly tried to help, or at least made a decent comment:

Gregory Nolan Jr.
elvissessions.com
elvis-fan
likethebike
Joe Car
Scarre
houndog
Hav-A-Tampa
The Purple Gang
ColinB
JonRomanovich
carolynlm
Stan from Tintane
JLGB
Mike C
unclefester
Melanie
Jim Dandy
KiwiAlan
splanky
dennisdee
rockinrebel
Claus
bajo
Christopher
elvisjock
CHRISTIAN
monkboughtlunch
Tom in North Carolina
KingOfTheJungle
midnightx
ekenee
NightRider
KHoots
thenexte
tcb4
elbo51

and one more KUDO to the gentleman who contacted Marty Lacker and got the accepted answer =>

JamesVRoy!

As for the nine (9) losers, it's our misfortune you cannot post your refuse in "Chat-Talk" ... all you do here is prove how lonely and/or pathetic you are.

And that's the way it is.