All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Is your husband/wife/boyfriend/girlfriend an Elvis fan?

Yes, definitely.
17%
No, definitely not.
9%
They like him a little for my sake.
48%
Don't know.
No votes
I'm single or too young/too old for this poll.
26%

Total votes : 54

Is your partner an Elvis fan?

Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:28 pm

As a sideline to the current fan thread here's another fun poll.

Please feel free to add any amusing stories about long-suffering husbands, disbelieving girlfriends etc etc - all in the name of Elvis. :)

Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:35 pm

My wife is not that much of a fan at all, though she does better now then before. It's taking time, but sooner or later, I will make her a full-fledged fan!

Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:40 pm

She's as big a fan as I am.

In fact, one of my most treasured possessions is a framed set of her Elvis singles she scribbled her name on when she was a small child (including, appropriately enough, Hard-Headed Woman).

I'm very, very lucky.

Neither of us knew the other was a fan or even discussed it, but on our first date I played Elvis' Sun sessions as I drove her home.

That sealed the deal, and we've lived together 13 years now.

Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:43 pm

She doesn´t like but she learned to respect that.

Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:44 pm

I converted my girlfriend [later wife] from being a Tommy Steele fan to an Elvis fan.

It backfired, though, 'cos when we divorced, she got custody of half my Elvis collection.

Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:06 pm

My girlfriend isn't a fan.

She says "He was a very talented singer".. but that's as far as it goes. She tolerates the rest. I wouldn't be going out with someone who didn't understand or at least appreciate the fact that Elvis is a big part of my life.

K.

Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:18 pm

What a great question :D

Well my wife then Girl friend 12 years ago used to like Elvis a great deal. My obsessiveness back then turned her away from Elvis - so much so that most of the time she will not tolerate it!!!! Bad news I know :(

Anyway today I have calmed down a bit :D and occassionally I am allowed to play Elvis in the car. I won't make the same mistake with my 9 month year old son though!!!!!!

On the plus side my wife hates shopping - now that has gotta be unique :D

Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:34 pm

ColinB wrote:I converted my girlfriend [later wife] from being a Tommy Steele fan to an Elvis fan.

It backfired, though, 'cos when we divorced, she got custody of half my Elvis collection.

OUCH! And just to rub salt into the wound you had to have custody of half the Tommy Steele collection, no doubt.

Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:45 pm

> Anyway today I have calmed down a bit :D and occassionally I am
> allowed to play Elvis in the car. I won't make the same mistake with my 9
> month year old son though!!!!!!

To let him gain control over the music in the car?

> On the plus side my wife hates shopping - now that has gotta be unique

Shopping on Ebay for Elvis imports, that is?

Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:51 pm

Well my wife then Girl friend 12 years ago used to like Elvis a great deal. My obsessiveness back then turned her away from Elvis - so much so that most of the time she will not tolerate it!!!!

Obsessiveness :shock: - please tell more. In return we promise not to let your wife know you are spending far too much time answering silly polls on an ELVIS [shhh!!!] messageboard. :D

Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:44 pm

She would be classed as a fan now. How that has changed over the years. She couldn't stand him when we first met...

Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:50 pm

The Purple Gang wrote:OUCH! And just to rub salt into the wound you had to have custody of half the Tommy Steele collection, no doubt.

Come to think of it, I didn't !

Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:01 pm

I'm single ( or too young/too old for this poll. )

Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:30 pm

My wife was not a fan at all......until she heard some of Gospel recordings. While she thoroughly enjoys those now, that's about as far as it goes. Of course, I've turned my 2 girls into huge fans already and they're just 6 and 3. We love to gang up on mommy and stick the Aloha DVD in and crank it up.

Tom

Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:46 pm

My ex girlfriend didn't know much about Elvis, but after I took her to "The concert" she thought it was a special thing.
After we broke up a couple of years later, she still bought tickets for "The concert" without knowing if I was there or not.. that was a cool thing :wink:

My current girl digs it because of me.. Sometimes she mentiones how much and different music he made, hearing new songs over and over again.
In general, we just have a different taste in music, and that's fine with me..

Cheers, RJ

Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:52 pm

The more my wife learns about Elvis, the more she likes him. She has been to Memphis twice in the last two years, and that also has had an impact on her appreciation of Elvis, his talents and accomplishments. I have almost had to reel her in lately, as she keeps saying she wants to return. It's a great "problem" for me to deal with... :D :D :D

Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:15 pm

My wife isn't an Elvis fan, but I wouldn't say she hates him. She always says that Elvis has a beautiful voice and never sings a note out of tune...I went to Memphis twice in 1997 and 2002 without her. What bothers me the most is that she doesn't like Elvis singing gospel songs. I like them very much but when I play Elvis in the car and she is with me I always skipp the gospels to do her a favor. :) Of course she doesn't understand that I still buy new CD's like the FTD label. She will say: "again See See Rider" or "He is dead now for more then 25 years, there will be no new songs so why you keep buying those CD's ?" :D

Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:20 pm

My girlfriends liks Elvis´movies ( I will never ever understand) but she really hates us fans of the king. She says we´re absolute crazy to follow a dead singer and to hear the same music over and over. She even will not let me travel to Memphis anymore! That´s life, folks! And before I will forget: I love her!

O.S.

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:37 am

Old Shep wrote:My girlfriends liks Elvis´movies ( I will never ever understand) but she really hates us fans of the king. She says we´re absolute crazy to follow a dead singer and to hear the same music over and over. She even will not let me travel to Memphis anymore! That´s life, folks! And before I will forget: I love her! O.S.

She may be right about a few of those things--we are a bit crazy to do some of the things we do. :? Still, I think we're powerless to stop ourselves!

Seriously, a little trip to Memphis would most-likely soften--if not change--her opinion on the craziness of being an Elvis fan. My first wife was pretty much a stoic, emotionless person unaffected by most things. But upon seeing the trophy room, and walking into the racquetball building at Graceland where many of Elvis's awards are displayed, she was very impressed. When she left there, her interest had grown, and--more importantly--her respect. Take her to Memphis. If the same doesn't happen to her, dump her. Joshin'............

I don't think it's still posted in the trophy room, but there used to be a quote posted there which read, "If you're not an Elvis fan, there is no explanation. If you are an Elvis fan, none is necessary."

Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:55 am

I put yes definitely, as there was No yes maybe option!!! :oops:

She likes a lot of his songs and likes his movies as well, but she's not as big on him as I am. :shock:

8)

Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:45 am

I've brainwashed her into one ;-)

Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:58 am

She was born and raised less than 30 miles from Tupelo.

She knows every word to Rock A Hula.

But she isn't a fanatic.

Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:55 am

My girl of five years wasn't really into Elvis much, due mostly to the fact her uncle was one of these guys that thought they were Elvis, and was in reality (according to her), kind of a dork.

I started teaching her properly about Elvis, and she gained a lot of respect for him.

She went to Memphis with me in 2002...upon hearing the then-new Nashville Marathon FTD in a car with some of my buddies, when "I've Lost You" came on, she exclaimed, "Oh my God! Now I get it!"...

She's not a hardcore fan like me of course and sometimes when I play Elvis music she's not *always* up for it...but she also knows that complaining will not get her anywhere :-)

Axe

2 teenager daughters

Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:43 pm

I`m single, but I have twin daughters 13 years old and they do like music a lot, but listen to their own kind of music, only Elvis when they can`t help it beeing in the same room as I. They know every Elvis song and sometimes even sing along, it brings a smile to my face. One of them think I`m crazy, (a grownup can`t have a Idol)but anyway she allways has to show her friends what her mom is collecting. The other one think it`s cool that her mom is crazy about something teenage like. She came the other day and made me listen to a song that she had found on the net and said " Mom they says that it is Elvis singing and I`m sure that it is not", well, it wasn`t. I`m glad that they know Elvis voice that well and maby some day, one of them will be happy to get my collection when I no longer need it.( I hope so)

THE MISSUS

Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:52 pm

met her 14 years ago at an elvis event in Shepshed Leicestershire UK. her live revolves round Elvis, because mine does, enjoys travelling to all the events up and down the country every Saturday. Its the only way to be, I would hate to think I had to sell my collection as Jim E Curtin did that was over a woman wasn't it? She also knows every peice of memoribilia I have so as not to duplicate anything for Christmas and Birthdays, and she knows if I want anything Elvis, Such as the picture on my spare wheel on the back of my 4x4, (which looks tremendous) or the Image of Elvis from Graceland gates that I had made and fixed to the front of my house that I will have it regardless, and 99% she is behind me. I say 99% as I am after a sports car and I want a picture of Elvis from the '68 airbrushed on to the bonnet, she is a little against that, not because of what it is but because of the cost and the mindless yobs she feels would try and deface it if we were in some of the less desirable parts of the country. One in a million really

Andy