All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:52 am

midnightx wrote:It is songs like Raised On Rock that are a stark reminder of how flawed Colonel Parker's music publishing philosophy was.

Without the Colonel Elvis wouldn't have exist, sorry.

Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:57 am

CHRISTIAN wrote:
midnightx wrote:It is songs like Raised On Rock that are a stark reminder of how flawed Colonel Parker's music publishing philosophy was.

Actually this is flawed. Without Vernon and Gladys Elvis wouldn't have existed.

8)

Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
sam wrote:Raised on rock is not about Elvis.

Elvis was raised on country, gospel, blues, pop and novelty tunes he heard on the radio, or in performances he saw growing up in the 1940s and early 1950s. Again, how difficult a concept is it to accept that Elvis wasn't raised on rock, but rather helped to start rock and roll? It's not so hard -- if you have a brain.

Raised On Rock (Mark James)

I remember as a child I used to hear
Music that they played, Lord, with a feel
Some called it 'folk,' some called it 'soul'
But people, let me tell you, it was rock and roll

I was raised on rock, got that rhythm in my soul
Every day when I got home, I turned on my radio

Listening to the music that my idols made
I knew every single record that the DJs played
A "Honky Tonk," a "Hound Dog," a "Johnny B. Goode"
"Chain Gang," "Love Is Strange," "Knock On Wood"

I was born to love the beat, I was made for rock and roll

I thought it was a fad, thought that it would pass
The younger generation knew it would last
Time's gone by, the beat goes on
But every time I hear it, Lord, it takes me home

Every day when I got home, I turned on my radio

Mother played recordings of Beethoven's Fifth
Mozart liked sonatas, down the classical Liszt
My papa loved to listen to those country songs
While I was in the back room, rockin' on

So Doc, how thick are you??? Where have I said Elvis was raised on rock???
I said the song isn't about Elvis!!! Get it???? It's a song nothing more!!!!
About a guy raised on rock, NOT ELVIS. He is just singing the song, for the listner!!! :shock: :roll:

YOU ARE SO THICK!!!! :P

woff woof!!!

You need classes in comprehension me thinks!!!!

Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:10 am

sam wrote: So Doc, how thick are you??? Where have I said Elvis was raised on rock???
About a guy raised on rock, NOT ELVIS. He is just singing the song, for the listner!!! :shock: :roll:

woff woof!!!

I'm not taking sides in this one but if you're going to take on the Doc in a battle of words your wit needs to be a little more polished!

Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:15 am

Matthew wrote:
sam wrote: So Doc, how thick are you??? Where have I said Elvis was raised on rock???
About a guy raised on rock, NOT ELVIS. He is just singing the song, for the listener!!! :shock: :roll:

woof woof!!!

I'm not taking sides in this one but if you're going to take on the Doc in a battle of words your wit needs to be a little more polished!

Mattew the Doc is putting his words in my mouth. He is saying I'm saying stuff I didn't. I never said Elvis was raised on rock, as he implies.
Where does he get off taking snippets of quotes and changing the meaning!!!
This is something he used to complain abgout!!!

He's just a rude arrogant A$$....
I think I'll just leave him to his dream world where everything is Doc this Doc that, he's just a waste of time!!!

8)
P.S. I'm not trying to be witty here!!!
:oops:
Last edited by sam on Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:16 am

Besides from your statement being highly debatable, what does it have to do with Parker's flawed business philosophy towards publishing rights for Elvis?

Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:18 am

carolynlm wrote:Christian,I don't think that's quite right......Although Sam Philips probably couldn't have handled Elvis himself, I'm sure he would have found the right manager for him sooner or later.

It was Phillips who first saw the latent genius of Elvis and who first recorded his music. In doing so, Sam Phillips helped create the foundations of popular music; without him it might not have happened; at least it would have happened very differently. When Elvis walked into the Memphis Recording Service during the summer of 1953 to record a ballad for his mother. It was, recalls Phillips, a pretty limp effort. A year later Phillips was working with guitarist Scotty Moore and they needed a singer and Phillips' assistant suggested they call the young man with the strange name. The Colonel knew better, just my philosophy.

Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:49 am

If the '68 Special didn't come along, God knows what would have happened, and if parker had gotten his way and Elvis sang Christmas songs through the whole thing.......heaven knows.....

A scary thought. Would it have been the end?

Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:01 am

ekenee wrote:Ok, if I was to follow this logic, then it would have been ok if Elvis
recorded songs such as "Natural Woman", "I am Woman", or
"It's raining men".
Case closed!!

James Taylor has a song called "Millworker", which has lyrics that say "My father was a farmer and I his only daughter". The whole song is sung from a female perspective.

It's called storytelling, folks, and in art, being literal is not always the main goal.

Axe

Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:45 am

Axeman wrote:
ekenee wrote:Ok, if I was to follow this logic, then it would have been ok if Elvis
"It's raining men".
Case closed!!

James Taylor has a song called "Millworker", which has lyrics that say "My father was a farmer and I his only daughter". The whole song is sung from a female perspective.

It's called storytelling, folks, and in art, being literal is not always the main goal.

Axe

Thanx Axeman. That is the only point I was trying to make with this song. Not all the other stuff someone was labeling me with!!! :oops:

8)

Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:29 am

Performing is not just about singing a song. Under the best circumstances an artist wants to feel the song and act it out, and if he believes it, his audience will too.

But certain songs are tailer made for certain performers.

That why it is a mistake for a 16 years old to sing about divorce, or something that that person hasn't experienced or will never experience.
For example a 16 year old singing "my way" wouldn't work. Sorry.
And it would have been utterly insane for Elvis to have recorded, "natural woman", just because its a great song.

"you make me feel, you make me feel,
you make me feel, just like a natural woman."

It's not that the singer has to have experienced it, but it has to at least be somewhat believable.

In the case of "raised on Rock", it does not follow that crucial criteria.

You like it, that is fine, but it was a bad choice for Elvis.

Another example is when the writer of a song, writes of extremely personal details about their life, that when sung by anyone else, the song just doesn't work.

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:13 am

So, are you saying Elvis would not have been able to imagine what it would be like to grow up at a latter date and actually be raised on rock?

I think he could, and did. And told that story well.
And although not my personal favourite track, I like it quite well.
But your points are taken in as well. :wink:

8)

Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:52 am

So if you replace the song titles and especially Hound Dog this song would be much better? I don't think everybody has the historical knowledge to analyze this song to be wrong for Elvis. And I think that with a few minor changes in the lyrics it would fit perfectly. Elvis changed the lyrics sometimes but in this case he obviously didn't think it needed to be changed. The song opens the album and surely is one of the more interesting songs on the album.

It's a pity he didn't add a few real blues songs instead of those lame ballads (except for "For Ol' Times Sake) since this was intended to be a blues album. A little more work and selecting a few other songs on this album could have made it his best seventies album.

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:27 am

Quote: So, are you saying Elvis would not have been able to imagine what it would be like to grow up at a latter date and actually be raised on rock?

The thing is, its not sung with Elvis imaging he grew up at a later date.
It is sung straight as if he was actually raised on rock.

Again, I will use my previous example and match it use your reasoning.

A 16 year old sings "my way", imagining that he already had lived a life and is singing it as if it were a later date in his life, say 30 or 40 years in the future.

Do you see how rediculous this is?

Again it makes no difference that Elvis sung it great.

For it to have worked with Elvis he would have had to have changed the lyrics.

Just the opposite of my example above, "Raised on Rock" should be sung by a much younger person to be believable. Someone who grew up listening to Elvis and others during the birth of rock and roll.
Elvis lived it, he wasn't raised on it.
Rock wasn't even invented yet so the song makes no sense when sung by Elvis.
(Unless you pretend Elvis was 22 in 1973, and he grew up listening to himself, while being raised by his own music that he hadn't even recorded yet.)
Yes under those circumstances, the song fits perfect. :shock:

Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:49 am

You know what, at a talent quest i actually sang 'You gave me a mountain' at just the age of 13, and i included the divorce lyrics. I dunno what the hell i was thinking, but from now on if i sing the song iin public, or even having a go at the song in my own time, i change the lyrics to suit my age

As much as i love 'My way', and was going to sing it as a closing song for a show at the elderly care center in my area, i have to agree. The song is about an older man looking back on his life. I often have time to reflect on my life so far, given the many things i've personally done, but i could'nt sing a song liek that and justify it. But i still sing it when i'm by myself 8)

Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:02 am

ekenee wrote:

The thing is, its not sung with Elvis imaging he grew up at a later date.
It is sung straight as if he was actually raised on rock.

No I didn't mean sung from Elvis' perspective. I meant imagining what it was like for the lot of us growing up listening to music. Singing it from our perspective. Telling a story.

If I was to think Elvis is singing about his life yes I agree that would be ridiculous. But to me he is singing it as a story, not about his life. Our lives not his.

You are saying this song is about Elvis, I am saying Elvis is singing a song for us and about us from our perspective.

I know what you mean, but I'm not coming from that angle.

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:47 am

carolynlm wrote:so, doc, you are saying that the songs Elvis sang were all about his life and ROR is the exception.......get your head out of where ever it is, and think for a minute.....it seems as though you just like to pick up a small aspect of anyones post (especially members you don't like) and just run with it.
The one song that we would have all thought would have been somewhat autobiographical was Mountain.....but Elvis himself said that it had nothing to do with his life.....
ROR isn't my favourite album, but then I don't take everything so literally......I think you might need a bit of a break from us, don't you? You are getting very tiresome......

The doc´s number one stalker is Sam, so if you wanna be fair, you should take notice of that too...
I don´t see anything wrong with the first post he (doc) wrote in this thread, do you? You might not agree with him about the words in the song, and that, of course, is OK. But the post itself has nothing to do with "pick up small aspect and just run with it"...

I do not agree with the doc´s "theory" about the words in the song, even tho I do understand what he is trying to say.

But then again, just look at what Yngwie J Malmsteen did with the famous ABBA song Gimme, Gimme, Gimme.
The original lyrics where "GGG a man after midnight" and he change them into "GGG your love after midnight" and it fitted him just great.
So perhaps doc isn´t totally wrong eighter...

Then again, I can also see what Sam is trying to say...

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:53 am

Scarre wrote: The doc´s number one stalker is Sam, .

I don't stalk the Doc. LOL That's funny. Coz that's what the Doc says I stalk him???
I don't go out of my way looking for Doc's posts. We just happen to be on the same message board and because I disagree with him and post that he says I'm chasing him around like a little puppy dog. Well if I could miss his posts I would He just wont stop posting though. :wink:

8)

P.S. I'm glad you can understand the point I was trying to make. :D

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:28 pm

The debate a song can bring!

I like 'Raised On Rock' and think it is a good performance by Elvis.

If you people want to personalize it, the origins of rock Elvis did indeed grow up with. He wasn't the first to sing 'Hound Dog' and the like. He listened to these songs (as stated in the lyrics) then made them his own.

Let the debate continue - I for one will listen to the music and enjoy!

Andy

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:57 pm

Axeman wrote:
"It's raining men".
Case closed!!

Axe

But in the case of Raised on Rock, he even references his own song - Hound Dog. OK, so he wasn't the first to record it, but he did record the rock version, which the song is referencing. It would be like Paul McCartney singing a song about growing up listening to the Mersey sound, with songs such as Love Me Do. Just a daft lyric for Elvis to sing.

Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:25 pm

I agree with you Midnight X. I don't really anything special about the melody of "Raised on Rock" although James gets in some nice licks on the guitar. It also seems to me that the lyrics and the melody are kind of an awkward match. They don't sing well. The title is very cool. Candidly though I think Elvis' singing on this track is some of the worst of his entire career.

I don't necessarily agree that the publishing deal was what led him to record this song. Mark James was no hack. He wrote "Suspcious Minds", "Always on My Mind" (with co-writers)" and the fine albeit commercial BJ Thomas hit "Hooked on a Feeling" among others. He just wrote a bad piece here. How many true rock songs of this period were being written to order? Elvis could have remade something outside of the publishing house but I don't think there were many professional rock type non-performing writers around any more. Maybe Elvis could have collaborated with someone from the old days like Doc Pomus or Chuck Berry but they were having their own problems.

Elvis surely would have hit without Colonel Parker. As Ernst pointed out in his most recent interview, Elvis' recording career made an impact from the first record and kept growing from then on. It was that impact- the screaming girls, the riots etc.- that attracted the Colonel.

Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:55 pm

For Ol' Times Sake, Find out What's Happenin', Just a Little Bit, If You Don't Come Back and (despite its odd lyrical choice) Raised on Rock are fine tracks but sadly the rest are quite poor.
As for Tony Joe White songs (he wrote For Ol' Times Sake), some of the people contributing to this board should take notice of the lyrics from one of his later tracks "you better get off that High Horse before you hit the dirt.
Rick

Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:50 pm

TJ wrote:But in the case of Raised on Rock, he even references his own song - Hound Dog. OK, so he wasn't the first to record it, but he did record the rock version, which the song is referencing. It would be like Paul McCartney singing a song about growing up listening to the Mersey sound, with songs such as Love Me Do. Just a daft lyric for Elvis to sing.

But my point is that Elvis wasn't necessarily trying to sing the song from his own perspective. Maybe he recorded it thinking a lot of his FANS could relate to it. Many times when I hear a song I can relate to, I don't care wether the singer has actually experienced what the song talks about. Elvis never had a son, yet he recorded "My Boy".
So let's say Neil Young should have never written or recorded "Powderfinger" because he was a 22-year old southerner who got shot and killed in the song, when he was actually a 35 year old living Canadian.
Paul McCartney wrote Love Me Do, Elvis didn't write Hound Dog or even record it first so your comparison is a little off, to me.
Now let's all fact-check and make sure Johnny Cash was actually in every place he mentions in "I've Been Everywhere"...

Axe

Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:19 pm

sam wrote:P.S. I'm not trying to be witty here!!!

We look forward to your first attempt.

carolynlm wrote:... arrogance is not a virtue.

Neither are stupidity or hypocricy, yet you often display both.

CHRISTIAN wrote:When Elvis walked into the Memphis Recording Service during the summer of 1953 to record a ballad for his mother. It was, recalls Phillips, a pretty limp effort.

The first visit was done for two reasons: 1) to hear what he sounded like, and b) to be noticed by SUN Records. The "birthday present for his mother" story is a myth, and Elvis said as much himself in a 1956 interview. IIRC, Sam Phillips is not on record about "My Happiness" or "That's When Your Heartaches Begin," the two songs cut that July day in 1953.

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:26 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
sam wrote:P.S. I'm not trying to be witty here!!!

We look forward to your first attempt.

Just let it go Doc!!!

:roll:

You'll get blisters on your hand!!!

So who's stalking who???