All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:58 am

Would'nt it have been so much better if Elvis re-recorded these songs at his December sessions at Stax that year, songs like 'I've got a thing about you baby', 'For ole times sake', and one of my latest faves 'Find out whats happening'. I think Elvis could've turned in a fine effort on this song in December 8)

Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:59 pm

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:Would'nt it have been so much better if Elvis re-recorded these songs at his December sessions at Stax that year, songs like 'I've got a thing about you baby', 'For ole times sake', and one of my latest faves 'Find out whats happening'. I think Elvis could've turned in a fine effort on this song in December 8)

On the first two songs I don't think Elvis could have improved his efforts.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:46 pm

I have always felt that the song was supposed to be from the point of view from an Elvis fan... but the lyric could have definatly used some tweeking. :wink:

JEFF d
EP fan

Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:36 am

JEFF d wrote:I have always felt that the song was supposed to be from the point of view from an Elvis fan... but the lyric could have definatly used some tweeking. :wink:

JEFF d
EP fan

Good catch Jeff d, I think you might be on to something!!! :wink:

:lol:

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:18 am

I like Raised On Rock. I bought the single when it first came out. Granted it did seem odd to hear him singing about being raised on rock (that's more suitable to a Beatles generation musician),but Elvis was at least singing rock. Even though the lyrics don't suit him he sounds to my ears like he is interested in the song. In other words it's not a walk through. He may have felt he had a Polk Salad Annie type of modern rock tune with ROR. Now Im not trying to suggest that ROR was anywhere in the same league as PSA (to be specific the great Feb. '70 version, the various other post 1970 versions are basically run throughs that show off the band and give Elvis a number to gyrate to), only that Evis saw the potential for a modern rock number.

As far as the ROR lyrics go, well in Guitar Man Elvis wasn't exactly a swingin' little guitar man rovin' the country and sleepin' in hobo jungles now was he?

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:32 am

Axeman wrote: Paul McCartney wrote Love Me Do, Elvis didn't write Hound Dog or even record it first so your comparison is a little off, to me.
Axe

No it isn't, because it's quite plainly Elvis' version of Hound Dog that is referenced in the song. Or do you think the writer had a lesser known blues version in mind when talking about rock music? I too have no problem with a singer telling a story in the first person that doesn't reflect their real life experiences, but that lyric just stands out as inane. Putting aside the Hound Dog point, Elvis was simply too pivotal in the creation of rock n roll to be singing about listening to Knock on Wood, etc as a kid. It's only a short distance from him singing about listening to a guy called Elvis on the radio.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:17 am

Ok, hold on....I just thought of something. It doesn't change my opinion on why Elvis should have never recorded the song, but the arguement that Elvis should have changed the lyrics is valid and he did change them.

I recall the line where Elvis sings...."while I was in the back room rockin' on".

The real line should be, "while I was in the back room diggin' the stones".

Elvis just couldn't sing that line. Couldn't do it.

So he did alter the song a bit. This does say something.

I don't think he liked Mick Jagger.

He probably thought the Rolling stones were a little too "out there" for his taste.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:01 am

That change in the lyrics could indicate that he really felt that he thought Hound Dog was a hit song before he recorded it. And he didn't want to record it either. Or he thought it was funny singing about a song he was known for.

Elvis must have liked the song since he tried to do it live.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:57 am

"Knock on Wood" is kind of a red herring in there as well. That song wasn't a hit until 1966 not exactly a birth of rock piece.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:18 pm

likethebike wrote:"Knock on Wood" is kind of a red herring in there as well. That song wasn't a hit until 1966 not exactly a birth of rock piece.

None of the pop songs namechecked predate 1956, the year rock exploded in the US. "Chain Gang" hit in 1960, with "Love Is Strange" appearing in early 1957, and "Johnny B. Goode" top 40 in 1958.

James isn't strictly referring to rock's birth, but his experience coming of age as the music filled his imagination on a daily basis. Again, not Elvis' situation whatsoever.