All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Raised On Rock

Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:32 am

I always seem to have trouble choosing an Elvis album to listen to as there is a huge amount to sift through!
Anyhow i thought i would give ROR a good listen as i hadn't played it for a good while.
What hit me first is the dull one dimentional sound of the mix. I know this isn't the greatest album Elvis recorded but surely with some Sony magic something can be done with it?? Is this gonna be upgraded on the FTD label ??
For me the Promised Land re-issue really does sound the mutts nuts. And IMO not all the songs are bad on ROR. There is some funky stuff going on....love the Hammond Organ etc.With great sound i know i would enjoy this album so much more!

Timboy
P.S Don't ya think For Old Times Sake is a much underrated song from our man??

Re: Raised On Rock

Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:20 am

Timboy wrote:I know this isn't the greatest album Elvis recorded but surely with some Sony magic something can be done with it?

All the Sony pixie dust in the world cannot remove how depressed Elvis sounds on most every number. The title track -- whose arrangement and melody are superb -- might have sat with the best of his 70s recordings if someone had the sense to recognize the lyrics needed revision. Elvis wasn't raised on rock, he helped invent rock.

He was in a bad place in July 1973, and it shows. That said, these songs might benefit from a fresh mix:

Are You Sincere?
For Ol' Times Sake
If You Don't Come Back
Just A Little Bit

Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:52 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: The title track -- whose arrangement and melody are superb -- might have sat with the best of his 70s recordings if someone had the sense to recognize the lyrics needed revision. Elvis wasn't raised on rock, he helped invent rock.

It was a song, not an autobiography. When he sang about Kentucky Rain, he wasn't really out there in it !!!! :roll: :wink:

8)

Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:54 am

Also, it seems that there were technical problems in the July session, causing the recordings to not sound their best...that's what I've heard anyhow...

But yes I do like about half the album ROR, and cannot wait for an FTD of this...

Axe

Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:14 am

The Japanese 20 bit version of this album has superior sound. BMG Funhouse magic dust!

Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:00 am

Timboy wrote:I always seem to have trouble choosing an Elvis album to listen to as there is a huge amount to sift through!
Anyhow i thought i would give ROR a good listen as i hadn't played it for a good while.
What hit me first is the dull one dimentional sound of the mix. I know this isn't the greatest album Elvis recorded but surely with some Sony magic something can be done with it?? Is this gonna be upgraded on the FTD label ??
For me the Promised Land re-issue really does sound the mutts nuts. And IMO not all the songs are bad on ROR. There is some funky stuff going on....love the Hammond Organ etc.With great sound i know i would enjoy this album so much more!

You might want to check out the 20 bit mastered Japanese cd. It sounds fantastic.

Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:11 am

While the US version is a muffled depressing thing, the Japanese version is pure soul and funk.

Amazing.

Peter

Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:44 pm

I will try and check out the Japanese version, sounds good to me!! But i know i will end up buying the FTD release when it finally comes out.
Loved Elvis Is Back FTD can't wait for ROR! BRING IT ON !!!!!!
Timboy.

Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:48 pm

sam wrote:It was a song, not an autobiography. When he sang about Kentucky Rain, he wasn't really out there in it !!!!

Here's the little puppy dog, back again, nipping at my heels.

Just when I think, 'Man, that was the stupidest thing he's ever written,' you top yourself yet again.

The vocal on "Raised On Rock" betrays Elvis' feeling that the lyrics are misplaced. Not that you'll ever notice.

And one of the reasons "Kentucky Rain" -- a song that teeters on the brink of the ridiculous -- works is because the listeners believes in the protagonist's plight. And they believe because Elvis does, elevating our experience like he did so many times in his amazing career.

Woof woof, little puppy.

Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:11 pm

Axeman wrote:Also, it seems that there were technical problems in the July session, causing the recordings to not sound their best...that's what I've heard anyhow...

But yes I do like about half the album ROR, and cannot wait for an FTD of this...

Axe

Correct. There were problems during the recording of ''Take Good Care Of Her''.

It's a pity E only rehearsed one incomplete take of ''It's Diff'rent Now''.

Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:37 pm

Quote: It was a song, not an autobiography. When he sang about Kentucky Rain, he wasn't really out there in it !!!!

Ok, if I was to follow this logic, then it would have been ok if Elvis

recorded songs such as "Natural Woman", "I am Woman", or

"It's raining men".

Case closed!!

Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:51 pm

I too like Raised On Rock. OK Elvis could have done it better but it's a good song and re-mixing and enhancing the sound can make it better. Some songs on Rhythm and Country sounded much better than the original releases. I only wish they had used the master takes since these outtakes sound so much better.

Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:30 pm

Japanese 20 bit. Don't wait for a mix that might not come. And if it does there is still a chance of a bad one at that! :)

Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:31 pm

ElvisAhlgren wrote:I only wish they had used the master takes since these outtakes sound so much better.

Outtakes sound better because they are missing the overdubs that were applied to the finished master mix. The more instruments in a mix, the more they are fighting for the space in a mix, it's as simple as that. Outtakes can sound more intimate because of the stripped down arrangements, but you can't take the original mix and make it sound like an outtake, that's a misconception.

Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:44 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
sam wrote:It was a song, not an autobiography. When he sang about Kentucky Rain, he wasn't really out there in it !!!!

Here's the little puppy dog, back again, nipping at my heels.

Just when I think, 'Man, that was the stupidest thing he's ever written,' you top yourself yet again.

The vocal on "Raised On Rock" betrays Elvis' feeling that the lyrics are misplaced. Not that you'll ever notice.

And one of the reasons "Kentucky Rain" -- a song that teeters on the brink of the ridiculous -- works is because the listeners believes in the protagonist's plight. And they believe because Elvis does, elevating our experience like he did so many times in his amazing career.

Woof woof, little puppy.

You are one very thick asswipe Doc!!! :lol: :lol:

It's a song. RElvis didn't write the song about himself. The listner can sing along to it and relate. Thick puppy!!!

Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:47 pm

ekenee wrote:Ok, if I was to follow this logic, then it would have been ok if Elvis recorded songs such as "Natural Woman", "I am Woman", or "It's raining men".

Case closed!!

You hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately, the head in question is quite thick.

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:04 am

Ok, if I was to follow this logic, then it would have been ok if Elvis

recorded songs such as "Natural Woman", "I am Woman", or

"It's raining men".

Case closed!!

Not really, It's called artistic choice, but if that's the message he wanted to give. More power to him.

:lol:

Raised on rock is not about Elvis.
It's a good song and it doesn't have to be autobiographical!!!

case closed :lol:
Last edited by sam on Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:15 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: You hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately, the head in question is quite thick.

Not as thick as some you dumbass!!!! :P

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:24 am

hey, hey guys - slow down.

ROR is one of my favourite albums. I loved it when I got it for christmas in -73 and I still like it. There are some great songs: For ol times sake, Find out what's happening, If you don't come back, Raised on Rock (even though the lyrics). How many 70's albums had four great songs?

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:30 am

Yes I know that taking away the overdubbed parts makes it sound more intimate and modern. But I meant that Elvis' singing was better on the masters (of course) and using that take without overdubbing and the new mixing etc would have made the album even better. But I want the outtakes too but it seems strange to have better sounding outtakes compared to the master takes.

I think that For Ol' Times Sake is the best song on Raised On Rock. There is another mix used on some other album which has the guitar part much lower and that ruins the song in my opinion. I think the mix used on Raised On Rock was perfect and they can only enhance the sound to make it better. Don't touch the actual mix. On the other songs on the album re-mixing is very much needed.

Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:06 am

The difference in sound quality between the July sessions and the December recordings (so far) is quite eye-opening. Just play the Promised Land upgrade album. For me a great sounding mix.
What did go wrong at the July sessions? I know a main concern was Elvis' health and some material selections but does that all add up to a dull sounding release? Elvis had some great sound men on board.
I do recall reading a story of Elvis storming out the studio because someone had lost his personal mike.
I guess all of these problems just kept adding up! I will always be fond of ROR though. Look what the Jungle Room Sessions FTD cd did for those 76' recordings. Can't wait for the ROR upgrade.
Timboy

Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:15 am

sam wrote:Raised on rock is not about Elvis.

Do you know who you resemble? "Lenny" from John Steinbeck's classic novel, "Of Mice And Men." Maybe even a little thicker than that poor fellow.

Mark James' song was written from his perspective of growing up in the 1950s and 1960s, digging all the great music which influenced his life.

A careful, intelligent fan will note James' name-checking of records by Bill Doggett, Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Sam Cooke, Mickey & Sylvia, and Eddie Floyd, songs released between 1956 and 1967. When Elvis took Mark's song without amending that personal experience, it became false, and simply stupid.

Elvis was raised on country, gospel, blues, pop and novelty tunes he heard on the radio, or in performances he saw growing up in the 1940s and early 1950s. Again, how difficult a concept is it to accept that Elvis wasn't raised on rock, but rather helped to start rock and roll? It's not so hard -- if you have a brain.

But don't take MY word -- below are the lyrics, decide for yourself.

Raised On Rock (Mark James)

I remember as a child I used to hear
Music that they played, Lord, with a feel
Some called it 'folk,' some called it 'soul'
But people, let me tell you, it was rock and roll

I was raised on rock, got that rhythm in my soul
Every day when I got home, I turned on my radio

Listening to the music that my idols made
I knew every single record that the DJs played
A "Honky Tonk," a "Hound Dog," a "Johnny B. Goode"
"Chain Gang," "Love Is Strange," "Knock On Wood"

I was born to love the beat, I was made for rock and roll

I thought it was a fad, thought that it would pass
The younger generation knew it would last
Time's gone by, the beat goes on
But every time I hear it, Lord, it takes me home

Every day when I got home, I turned on my radio

Mother played recordings of Beethoven's Fifth
Mozart liked sonatas, down the classical Liszt
My papa loved to listen to those country songs
While I was in the back room, rockin' on

Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:27 am

Gotta agree with Doc, the lyrics for Elvis were terrible, no question about it.

Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:31 am

There are 5, count 'em 5 rockers on this album and the song Raised On Rock is a winner. The first thing you hear is thudding bass, followed by a splintering guitar. "Just A Little Bit" is a classic R&B song done many times, and Elvis gives it a sultry southern soul treatment that's very worthy. The surprise on the album is the song "If You Don't Come Back" a VERY funky tune, in the purest meaning of the word funk, with funky wah-wah guitar and great syncopated rhthym, it kicks. There's a ballad on here called "For Old Times' Sale" that is just beautiful and heart wrentching, showing the delicacy of Elvis' voice when he wanted to convey tender emotion through this beautiful pseudo-country ballad with pop flavor.

Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:48 am

Raised On Rock is highly overrated. Not a horrible medley. The band's execution is fine. The lyrics are ridiculous. Way beneath anything Elvis should have been singing. It is songs like Raised On Rock that are a stark reminder of how flawed Colonel Parker's music publishing philosophy was. Elvis never had a chance to record some amazing material that could have crossed his path.