All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

If the Dorsey Shows become available officially do you care?

Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:58 am

I ask this question since all six of these performances
have been released in pretty good quality and in
chronological order on VHS a number of years ago.
Some of you I'm sure have transfered your copy
to DvD already too for your personal collection....

So inreturn is there anything to get excited about
in the same way as the forth coming Ed Sullivan
performances..?
I'm not suggesting You would By pass a release of
The Dorsey Shows with Elvis if released on DvD officially....

I mean what kind of fan would you be
if you did that.... :lol: :wink:

But do any of you really care one way or another
for a complete Dorsey DvD starring Elvis anytime
soon?

With the same respect to the first Milton Berle Show
with Elvis which has been released on VHS a number
of years ago officially too....
(Funny thing tho the second show
officially has not recieved an official release
that I know of.)

Do You now wait until they hopefully fine a
color version of the Milton Berle shows before
buying your official DvD copy, because do you
care one way or another other wise?

Regarding the Steve Allan show with Elvis if released officially
do you want it in complete form or with just the Elvis
appearances?

This is what we already have of course is the latter....
so do you care for an official release of this as well in
complete form?

All in all I understand it would be nice to have the
remainder Elvis television appearances released
officially on DvD?

However the bottom line, is there really any reason to
get excited about the other Television appearances in
the same way as the Ed Sullivan DvD and would anyone
else really care?

Out side the Elvis world so to speak....

PEP 8)

Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:44 am

If the "Sullivan" DVD set does well, it will accelerate the process for issuing Elvis' other 1956 TV appwearances. If not, say your prayers.

Do I care? Hell yes! It's history, it's rock and roll, raw and real, it's Elvis changing and influencing people from coast-to-coast. Also, say hello to "classic" rock and roll style: rhythm guitar/singer, lead guitar, bass, and drums. After 1956, nothing would be the same.

Having recently revisited all of the "Dorsey" performances, it's fascinating to watch the musical and professional growth between January and March. The rough edges from touring all over the south in 1955 come into sharp focus as Elvis finds his power as a singer, performer and agitator. He knew what he was doing.

The ideal DVD release would feature all six half hours of the "Dorsey" program, in the manner of the upcoming "Sullivan" DVD. It is not impossible ALL the remaining appearances could make one collection:

DVD 1
=> "Dorsey Brothers Stage Show" (Jan 28-Mar 24 '56) - 3 hours
=> "The Milton Berle Show" (Apr 3 '56) - 1 hour

DVD 2
=> "The Milton Berle Show" (Jun 5 '56) - 1 hour
=> "The Steve Allen Show" (Jul 1' 56) - 1 hour
Bonus:
=> "The Milton Berle Show" (Jun 5 '56, in lenticular color) - 1 hour
=> "Hy Gardner Calling" (Jul 1 '56) - 10 minutes

---

And, of course, all of it processed with Kevin Segura's "LiveFeed Video Imaging" software, a la the "Sullivan" set.

If I can dream, indeed.

Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:36 am

Ok, this sounds good to me as well, but I would also try to include the entire "Dance Party" appearance from June.

Hopefully the Sullivan show set sells well so we can ready ourselves for more classic Elvis on TV.

Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:58 am

Hello,

In addition to Elvis' personal appearance on "Dance Party", why not also include the two telephone interviews with Dick Clark on "American Bandstand" as well as "Welcome Home Elvis."

Also can anyone comment on this "LiveFeed Video Imaging?" Was any of it shown during Elvis week? I can't recall anyone mentioning it last month and has anyone seen what it can do to kinescopes?

Daryl

Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:00 am

If the Dorsey shows with Elvis would be released I would buy them.

Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:48 pm

oh yes! i sure want all the tv apperances uncut with no narration over the the top of them.

re

Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:54 pm

If the Dorsey Shows become available officially do you care? YES only if it is with a better quality ( of course !! )

Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:19 pm

Daryl wrote:In addition to Elvis' personal appearance on "Dance Party", why not also include the two telephone interviews with Dick Clark on "American Bandstand" as well as "Welcome Home Elvis."

Because:

a) no one wants to look at Dick Clark in 1959 talking on the telephone for ten minutes

b) the 1960 Sinatra Show is already out on DVD and only has 6 minutes of Elvis content

c) both a) and b) kind of ruin the concept of "Elvis on TV in 1956"

Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:25 pm

One more thing. Elvis was on Bandstand actually 3 times and the fake doctor is right, no one wants to look at Dick Clark.

Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:02 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:If the "Sullivan" DVD set does well, it will accelerate the process for issuing Elvis' other 1956 TV appwearances. If not, say your prayers.

The ideal DVD release would feature all six half hours of the "Dorsey" program, in the manner of the upcoming "Sullivan" DVD. It is not impossible ALL the remaining appearances could make one collection:

DVD 1
=> "Dorsey Brothers Stage Show" (Jan 28-Mar 24 '56) - 3 hours
=> "The Milton Berle Show" (Apr 3 '56) - 1 hour

DVD 2
=> "The Milton Berle Show" (Jun 5 '56) - 1 hour
=> "The Steve Allen Show" (Jul 1' 56) - 1 hour
Bonus:
=> "The Milton Berle Show" (Jun 5 '56, in lenticular color) - 1 hour
=> "Hy Gardner Calling" (Jul 1 '56) - 10 minutes

---

And, of course, all of it processed with Kevin Segura's "LiveFeed Video Imaging" software, a la the "Sullivan" set.

If I can dream, indeed.

Hey Doc, remember when? Before "Just Pretend" came out? Any of the stuff we've seen since then was all just a pipe dream then...so maybe a DVD set like you describe is not such a far-fetched dream!
I understand all the realities of actually restoring & releasing a DVD, though, so I too will be hoping the Sullivan DVD sells well. Promotion always helps...

Axe

Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:10 am

Pep, I do and will "officially care." :lol:

Let's all support these Sullivan releases for the reasons mentioned above!

Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:59 am

Stan from Tintane wrote:Oh yes for sure- only recently finally got the second milton berle show with i want you i need you i love you- after all these years :D

What release is that on??

Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:03 am

wow cant believe im going to agree with
drjohncarpenter but he is bang on . i would love it new sound and all remasterd this is history thats what made our great man the king and changed the world. yes yes yes.

Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:37 pm

I'd like to see the whole Dance Party show. Also, the Jimmy Deans Show interview - that would be very interesting.

And for a bonus............

All the Johnny Burnette Trio ( at that time "The Rock and Roll Trio ) 'Ted Mack Amateur Hour' appearances.

Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:15 pm

I for one would buy the Dorsey show, it was so raw. Heck, I would buy it just for Money Honey alone, true classic performance by EP and the boys! I think (like somebody said earlier) if the Sullivan shows go over well, then that would give the Dorsey shows a much better shot at a proper release.

Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:09 pm

I would like it all released together as a box set rather then having seperate releases for every show. Obviously the Sullivan material would now have to be left off. A box set featuring the rest of the 50's TV performances would surely sell as well as the Comeback and Aloha deluxe sets if promoted properly.

Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:48 pm

If I care? YES! :D

Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:34 pm

I Got A Woman is a standout!!!

Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:58 pm

ROCKABILLY wrote:And for a bonus............

All the Johnny Burnette Trio ( at that time "The Rock and Roll Trio ) 'Ted Mack Amateur Hour' appearances.

Well, up until about three weeks ago, I'd have said that there's not much chance of that (since nobody had ever seen one), but I can now verify that I have found at least **one** of the group's four appearances on the show, and after a little LiveFeed, it now looks very nice indeed.

The film transfer that I was given is a fairly soft, but it's from a tape that was made for cataloging purposes only, so that's not too much of a surprise.

It's from the group's fourth appearance on the show, an "Amateur Hour Invitational" , if you will, where multiple-show winners from the previous year were all invited to take part in a special program that aired live from Madison Square Garden. Needless to say, they're up against some pretty good competition.

Johnny, therefore, pulls out the big guns, and does a smoking rendition of "Hound Dog", accompanied by Paul and a barely-audible Dorsey. It's wild, raw, and might've gone a long ways toward making all of them stars, if it hadn't been for one thing: the date of this show was September 9, 1956... when over 80% of the country was busy watching another kid from Memphis!!

Talk about being cursed to live in someone's shadow...!

I hope to have a short excerpt of the clip online soon-- I'll let everyone know where and when you can see it.

-Kevin
Last edited by General Sarnoff on Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:58 pm

Kevin, I love you! You the man! I "CAN'T wait to see that footage.

Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:01 am

Absolutely I care.

The Dorsey broadcasts should deffinately be available in pristine quality as should all his professionally filmed performances, from all the 50's TV shows, up to and including the concerts shot by CBS in 1977.

I eagerly anticipate those Sullivan shows on DVD !

Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:05 am

I was just about to reply to this thread, and all I can add is Ditto to ClintReno's post!!!

8)
Last edited by sam on Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:40 am

OK-- here we go:

WARNING-- this is a 30MB file... it's going to take a little bit of time to load for you!!

(I use blip.tv because their service doesn't re-encode the video signal-- which means the clips retain a good portion of their LiveFeed magic!) I think in any event, though, you'll find it's worth the wait...

Now, having said that, please take a look at a one-and-a-half minute sample from that **other** program that was on TV on 9/9/56!!

You can find it at:

http://www.blip.tv/file/75877

Enjoy!

-Kevin

Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:06 am

I've been told that there's been a bit of difficulty with some folks attempting to play this file, so I've created leaner and meaner (if slightly less smooth) .wmv version of the Johnny Burnette clip, which still manages to retain most of the improvements that LiveFeed brings...

You can find it here:

http://blip.tv/file/76806

Hope this helps!

-Kevin

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:33 am

Kevin -

Hope to check it out tomorrow night!