All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:04 pm

Iv'e sort of come to the conclusion that Tony Brown might just have mixed up Fort Worth shows in 1976 and really means the 2nd show their in july-which is a 'straight' sung show we have on rocking across texas book.The point should be made that in 1976 or 1977 a single song was often sung to 'perfection' but 99% of the time NOT the complete show. for example the late june/July tour was 'above the 1976 average' for certain and the following July/August one below the 1976 average.Excellent sound for Tuscaloosa 30.8.76 for example certainly doesn't fool me into thinking the show was 'great' nor does poor sound for wichata 27.12.76 make me conclude the show was 'poor'.I personally rate the forthcoming Madison 3rd June show as pretty dead on average- some mixed performances but satisfying a mad crown anyway.Here is another great sounding release which doesn't nescessarily make it a fantastic concert, but DOES enable you to truly HEAR Elvis's voice and the Crowd as if you were there! :roll:

Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:07 pm

Looking at my collection it seems I gave 20.03.1976 Charleston ES "Running For President" a good rating.
12.12. Las Vegas closing, "Black Diamond", was not a bad show, too.

Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:19 pm

The COMPLETE(not incomplete) show from Charlotte 20.3.76 E/S IS one of my fav show. it shows Elvis's charm/jokes off to his VERY BEST he sings great-relates amazingly to the audience and almost certainly one of the best shows that tour. Thanks for reminding me.. its a 'great show' thats for certain! :roll:

Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:10 pm

I just listened to an audience recording of the 26.4 show from Seattle. The whole April tour of 1976 is bit of a black spot: as far as I know there are no official releases from this tour.

Anyway, from what I tell from a somewhat harsh sound quality (altough Elvis is clearly audible), Elvis sounds quite alert and up for this show. He doesn't cut the show short after the introductions as per 1976 norm. And what's more, I can't detect any kind of slurring when he talks.

It does sound like a lot better performance than most he gave during the summer (June-September) and in March for that matter. Those of you who have the "Let's take it on home" -release, can hear a part of this show. Track 22 "Elvis talks about the new years eve concert in Pontiac " credited to March 76 is actually from this show.

Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:35 pm

I've got the complete last Tahoe and Vegas season's in pretty good quality.He's in a generally upbeat mood during most shows and he performed several above averags shows during these season's.I just dont think the overall intensity is present as it was during that late dec tour unfortunately.Some of that might have been due to the small venue's as compared to performing in a large concert hall with a greater crowd reaction.
Jak

Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:42 pm

Having attended the Providence shows, I've listened repeatedly to the audience recordings (including a stereo recording of the afternoon show).

He was quite good at both shows. His tempo doesn't drag. He sings a line of O Sole Mio on the second chorus of It's Now Or Never. The matinee crowd went bananas and stood for an ovation well before the ending on America. He mentioned being in the hospital, but having that all behind him now.

In contrast, the Tucson, El Paso and both Fort Worth shows reveal a very heavy tongue and sluggishness.

I am loathe to quote David Stanley, but in Life With Elvis he writes:

We were in Providence, Rhode Island. Elvis had put on a fantastic show. (He) knew he had done a good job and he was exhilarated.
Last edited by elvisjock on Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:58 pm

I think he sounds great in Tulsa July 4th 1976, seems to me he is much more upbeat than even the Fort Worth show from the day before, and the Memphis show the day after.

JEFF d
EP fan

Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:44 pm

Well lets say there was a lot of "good" shows in 1976 and not only from October on. mentioned Seattle 26.04.76 was an excellent one... also from the first tour some were good. However, Shows like Vegas 02.12.1976 and 04.12.76 DS or Atlanta 30.12.76 were far, far better than majority of previous ones from 76.

Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:43 am

YDKM wrote:Iv'e sort of come to the conclusion that Tony Brown might just have mixed up Fort Worth shows in 1976 and really means the 2nd show their in july- ...

Heavens to Betsy!! How in the WORLD did you come up with this???

Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:00 am

well doc simply because having heard both shows from good soundboard it's obvious to me that the July show was the better one of the 2 shows in Fort Worth.

Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:53 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
YDKM wrote:Iv'e sort of come to the conclusion that Tony Brown might just have mixed up Fort Worth shows in 1976 and really means the 2nd show their in july- ...

Heavens to Betsy!! How in the WORLD did you come up with this???

:lol:

Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:26 pm

I think this has been an excellent and classy thread. I like the fact that many people have taken into consideration EP's illness in their likes and dislikes of certain shows, (sometimes words not said mean more then those are said), thus a seventies thread can be done in a respectful memory of our guy and well balanced too boot, nice job Ger!

Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:54 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:If Brown is misremembering the Fort Worth show as the one given on June 3, the next best bet is Elvis' return to the city exactly one month later.

and then....
YDKM wrote:Iv'e sort of come to the conclusion that Tony Brown might just have mixed up Fort Worth shows in 1976 and really means the 2nd show their in july.

drjohncarpenter wrote:Heavens to Betsy!! How in the WORLD did you come up with this???

I guess it is true that great minds think alike.

Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:16 pm

Rob wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:If Brown is misremembering the Fort Worth show as the one given on June 3, the next best bet is Elvis' return to the city exactly one month later.

and then....
YDKM wrote:Iv'e sort of come to the conclusion that Tony Brown might just have mixed up Fort Worth shows in 1976 and really means the 2nd show their in july.

drjohncarpenter wrote:Heavens to Betsy!! How in the WORLD did you come up with this???

I guess it is true that great minds think alike.

At least that info was verified twice! :lol:

Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:23 pm

:shock: oh i see Rob/Dr John...i only read the 2nd part of the thread recently and was my thoughts after hearing BOTH shows NOT an attempt to snatch an observation :roll:

Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:45 pm

... What really killed many of his 76/77 shows, for me, is the never

ending opening with JD having to repeat his stomach ache, again

and again, the ongoing AAAmen and the well, well, wells...

While listening, yesterday, I was interrupted by a phone call, and

a delivery at my front door. When I got back in to the living room,

the opening part was still going on!

But thats still more acceptable than the band intros. Good lord!

How long did that go on, in Fort Worth?! 13, 14, 15 minutes?

Theres one verse of Early Morning Rain, a poor piece of Johnny B

some yelling that sounded like "TemuhwhaAhsah" and a too slow

Love Letters. No other big name performer could have gotten

away with these show killing segments. But if the most part of

the summer shows are considered really bad, than maybe this

one, among die-hards- is quite decent? The crowd, who are very

much audible, loved it, going by the screaming and yelling.

Theres one lady, on the front row, having multiple orgasems,

every time Elvis walks in to her direction, that night. But Im damn

sure, that afrerwards, she couldnt have told you what he had

sang, that night. His image did the trick. And that was enough

for many, and probably still is...

The extended Amen/JD voice dive-bombing segments are completely brutal. The long drawn out band-intro segments were also brutal in many instances. These were definitely show-killing segments. And in addition, Elvis' embarrassing takes of "If You Love Me (Let Me Know)" in place of so many great Presley tunes only adds to the lackluster quality of a great many of his 1976 shows.