All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Were There Any Good Shows In 76, Prior To October?

Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:03 pm

... And with GOOD shows I like to think of the ones he performed

in Chicago, Dallas, Birmingham and Pittsburgh, just to name a few

known highlights from the last 3 months of 1976.

... Having had a chance, to listen to Fort Worth, from beginning to end,

this show cant be filed under "good" shows. No matter how Tony Brown

likes to remember this show as a "highlight" , it is not. His performance

of Help Me is sung half speed, with a thick tongue. Only when he begins

the introductions, his voice starts to clear up, and sounds normal. But

none of his vocal deliveries, of the songs that follow, can be

described as excellent

... I was wondering, were there any really great performances done

prior to October? Not single songs, but shows that cooked, from

beginning to end? Like Dallas or Birmingham...

Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:07 pm

Cincinatti , Ohio, March 21 - 1976 released on the DAE CD Holding Back The Years.

Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:54 pm

There aren't any concerts that are compatible like the last three months of 1976. Maybe Johnson City march 17. Its tempting to say (due for the sound-quality) Greensboro (june 30) and Memphis (july 5) are on the same level as december. Even then, i cant think of any.

Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:07 pm

Ger -
July 30 1976 in New Haven Connecticut. I was there, (sweet 16 at the time :) ). This is not just a wishful thinking memory, there's an audience recording of this show available in reasonable sound quality that bears this out. He is alert, focused, doesn't slur through any songs. Highlights: Mountain; Help Me; And I Love You So; America; Jailhouse Rock (very energetic!); a 3 verse version of Early Morning Rain; Love Letters; 2 complete versions of Hurt; Hawaiin Wedding Song. He also does a tremendously powerful "oh yeah" ending on Love Me. This would be a good show for FTD.

Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:16 pm

Nothing in 1976 equals the shows he did during the December tour. The March tour was definitely 2nd best though.

A very distant 2nd best.

Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:21 pm

The only one I consider to be a good one is July 5. Memphis.
Yes from A to Z..

Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:04 pm

His Lake Tahoe shows are quite enjoyable,esp. the closing show on may 9th. Those shows were not great,but they were above average. During this engagement he was in good mood mostly and sung several rare songs and snippets.
The amateur recordings shows that the crowd was enthusiastic and satisfied.

Image Image Image

Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:02 pm

The concert on August 30, 1976 is very good. It can be heard on DAE's ultra-classic "Old Times They Are Not Forgotten" which is my all-time favourite live bootleg. "Holding Back The Years" is another essential CD. These are not rock'n'roll shows, though.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:40 am

Buffalo, June 25 was excellenT. The audience recording shows it and I was in the house.

Re: Were There Any Good Shows In 76, Prior To October?

Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:14 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... And with GOOD shows I like to think of the ones he performed

in Chicago, Dallas, Birmingham and Pittsburgh, just to name a few

known highlights from the last 3 months of 1976.

... I was wondering, were there any really great performances done

prior to October? Not single songs, but shows that cooked, from

beginning to end? Like Dallas or Birmingham...

Johnson City & Cincinnati from March are solid.
Haven't heard any of the April shows. :oops:
In May, the opening show in Bloomington was very fine.
Buffalo in June was great. Nice to have somebody on this MB who attended this show.
Huntsville in September was a surprise to me, no auto-pilot here!

To answer your question Ger: nothing beats Elvis in Atlanta 30-12'76! :wink:

Cheers, RJ

Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:28 am

Lets say Tahoe 7.5.76 MS and Largo in June were excellent ones. Btw did you noticed that during some shows, Elvis sung Hurt reprise not once but 2 times? Means Hurt was sung 3 x in one show.

Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:34 am

Don't forget Seattle - from beginning to end this is a good show.

Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:39 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:Having had a chance, to listen to Fort Worth, from beginning to end,

Can we take it that you are now part of "Madison" Ger?

At least we'll get good covers now! :lol:
Last edited by Keith F on Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:37 am

What about the Bloomington Indiana show? In the photos from that show he wears the rare white vest suit with the striped puffy sleeves, and oddly enough looks surprisingly healthy, tan, an with his weight down given the time period. Is this available on audience recording?

Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:43 am

Ok, so Tony Brown is wrong about Fort Worth being the best performance he witnessed during his time on stage with Elvis. WHAT show has he mistaken it with ?

Surely he has the State correct ?

If it is Texas (?), it's not Fort Worth Texas, is it DALLAS Texas ?

Yes, the Dallas show is fantastic, but could Tony Brown have mistaken a SUMMER Texas show (June), for a WINTER Texas show (December) ?

What do we know about any other audience recordings from Texas during 1976....that do not include Fort Worth or Dallas that Tony Brown could have been referring to ?

Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:50 am

I don't know why all you people seem to like the "Holding Back The Years" show. Elvis does not seem to be in a clear frame of mind and he is slurring his words. I like the Tahoe shows much better, for example the one that was released under the name "A Crazy Show At Lake Tahoe". The Memphis show wasn't bad either, the same goes for the one released on "Old Times They Are Not Forgotten". But during all of theses shows you can clearly hear that much of the energy was missing. But neverthenless those shows where still quite good, entertaining and enjoyable.

Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:32 am

Hey i was going to post a thread regarding the December tour.

Forgive me for saying, i LOVE this tour, but something tells me the shows are medically influenced. I was listening to some shows from August to October in 1974, and then compared them to the super charged shows of the pre new years eve tour of 76, and heard his voice sounds very similar, and also when he talks, his voice is bellowy and he talks very enthusiastically. Thats great, and the performances are among the greatest of his career, but something tells me that they're not just charged by his spirits, or his love for Ginger. Anyone able to provide information?

Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:03 am

Ray wrote:Ok, so Tony Brown is wrong about Fort Worth being the best performance he witnessed during his time on stage with Elvis. WHAT show has he mistaken it with ? Surely he has the State correct ? If it is Texas (?), it's not Fort Worth Texas, is it DALLAS Texas ?

If Brown is misremembering the Fort Worth show as the one given on June 3, the next best bet is Elvis' return to the city exactly one month later:

http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/rockingtexas.html

Another possibility is Brown really meant the Tucson gig two days prior:

http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/tucson76.html

This set has some interesting variations from the norm, including "Danny Boy."

Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:05 am

Keith F wrote:
Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:Having had a chance, to listen to Fort Worth, from beginning to end,

I wouldn't put any money on that.

Some label send promo copies -- just like the big boys -- for PR purposes.

Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:12 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Keith F wrote:

I wouldn't put any money on that.

Some label (sic) send promo copies -- just like the big boys -- for PR purposes.

Sending Ger a '76 show for PR purposes??????

Waste of time, I would have thought........

Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:21 am

Doc wrote :
If Brown is misremembering the Fort Worth show as the one given on June 3, the next best bet is Elvis' return to the city exactly one month later:

http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/rockingtexas.html

Another possibility is Brown really meant the Tucson gig two days prior:

http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/tucson76.html

This set has some interesting variations from the norm, including "Danny Boy."

Interesting as these shows are, occasional highlights aside, for Tony Brown to say "He was singing on pitch, no jiving around, entire songs, not a blown word. He was just great. That show was a killer. And the next night he was stoned again."

Assuming Tony was correct, this show has not yet been heard via audience recording let alone Soundboard.

were there any

Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:01 am

... You dont beat around the bush, now do you, Keith!?

But the answer is: no. I did help out on gettin the guys [ and gall]

some nice photo material, in the past, and in return got testpressings

from them. But Im not all that sure this will continue, after having

openly stated, Fort Worth isnt a good performance imo. Though,

the sound is very good. If only Dallas, Birmingham a.o. would have

been blessed with such sound... and they were first generation copies

as well... believe you me!...

Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:56 am

I haven't heard the show yet, but it's interesting to see that just becasue this show possibly isn't an amazing show, people are assuming Tony Brown, who was there, must be mistaken!

Perhaps, as Tony says, just the fact his voice was on pitch, and he wasn't forgetting words etc, made the show stand out among some really awful ones that summer.

Let's not be so quick to doubt Tony's word though, and again, lets not forget that a dry soundboard recording is no substitute for being there on the night, and experiencing the crowd reaction.

Ger, in answer to your question, I think 76 started out ok for Elvis with some good shows in March, and finished the year in December with some great shows on tour, and early in the vegas season before he twisted his ankle, but the summer was really awful, with Elvis barely able to function. It was during the summer they had to beg Dr Nick to come back, just to try and regulate Elvis' intake.

were there any

Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:56 am

... What really killed many of his 76/77 shows, for me, is the never

ending opening with JD having to repeat his stomach ache, again

and again, the ongoing AAAmen and the well, well, wells...

While listening, yesterday, I was interrupted by a phone call, and

a delivery at my front door. When I got back in to the living room,

the opening part was still going on!

But thats still more acceptable than the band intros. Good lord!

How long did that go on, in Fort Worth?! 13, 14, 15 minutes?

Theres one verse of Early Morning Rain, a poor piece of Johnny B

some yelling that sounded like "TemuhwhaAhsah" and a too slow

Love Letters. No other big name performer could have gotten

away with these show killing segments. But if the most part of

the summer shows are considered really bad, than maybe this

one, among die-hards- is quite decent? The crowd, who are very

much audible, loved it, going by the screaming and yelling.

Theres one lady, on the front row, having multiple orgasems,

every time Elvis walks in to her direction, that night. But Im damn

sure, that afrerwards, she couldnt have told you what he had

sang, that night. His image did the trick. And that was enough

for many, and probably still is...

Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:32 pm

For me the 76 shows or concerts were all pretty bad up until a few goodish ones at the end of the year.

I think there are some acceptable performances of certain songs during '76 but it is pretty much awful in my opinion. Listening to some of these concerts it would seem clear that Elvis was sinking fast without coming back up for air but he always seemed to pull something out of the bag - obviously what I am talking about is Pitts.

I don't think there any good shows in 77 but there some ASTONISHING performances of certain songs. The CBS tapes!!! - I have watched these shows and WINCED with embarrassement for Elvis - it is so bad - then he will do a song like Hurt or My Way or Jailhouse Rock or I Really Don't Wanna Know that simply blows me away! How can anyone go from being absolutely terrible to astonishing and back again in the same show???