All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:20 pm

Well Gregory, I am cold as an ice :-) ... but I simply can't stand these "memories" from band members that are completely wrong - in most of cases.

Tony Brown said: FORT WORTH WAS GREAT blabla etc...
Tony AGAIN Brown sain COLLEGE PARK WAS AWFUL etc...

But - both these memories are completely wrong. We have 2 CDs that prove this, without any doubt. One can expect REALLY AWFUL SHOW if Brown said so, or really great show, if Brown said so? No. College Park is just average for second half of 74, nothing exceptionally awful there. And nothing great. And Fort Worth is just average for 76, nothing exceptionally great or awful there too.

::: Overall, the packaging far exceeds the performance and that's fine by me.

- well I never said the opposite :-) I agree! Nobody can make the show better than it is... It is AUDIO DOCUMENT, in fine sound, with excellent artwork.

Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:27 pm

deadringer wrote:Tony Brown is not a GOD who can change bad show into great and vice versa... by one word.

He can do so - you only have to believe Dr John Carpenter - who at last believes in Tony's words about the College Park show 09/74. :D

Don't believe your ears! "Holding Down The Fort" is an extremely good performance which stands out for '76. Brown was there. :lol:

Just kidding...

Regards, Joern

Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:38 pm

Ringer: I have to admit that I haven't yet read that super-long, multi-page "Chaos" thread yet (I don't have the CD) but I can tell that Brown was discussed there.

From the soundclips I've heard from the "Chaos" show, you're right that he's less than reliable.

Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:50 pm

Gregory, this is not only Brown but MAJORITY of band members. Or lets say JOE ESPOSITO. One will expect GREAT DETAILS from him because he was with Elvis all the time - and in reality his books are, well I do not want to be rude. So: full of stupid errors and not worth to read. It seems that these books from so called INSIDERS (Geller, Esposito, Stanley, Lacker) are the most inaccurate Elvis books ever.

The newspaper concert reviews = totally unreliable sources for any serious research. I have so many of them and if 10 out of 500 is worth to read then it is too much.

I am sure, that some people here, like DJC, will argue that Elvis DEFINITELY finished one of his 1975 concerts with TAKE MY HAND, PRECIOUS LORD. It was written in review so what? It must be TRUE. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:02 pm

Unreliable, but still worth having or at least reading for the simple of reason of being first-hand accounts in terms of history. But as with much in history, myths are often created "first-hand." I'm glad we have the option of even having newspaper reviews to mull over. :D

Holding Down The Fort

Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:52 pm

For any who may be interested, my review for this release is now showing on this site. (Under latest import review).

As others have previously mentioned, Tony Brown's view was that this was a 'Killer concert,' with the liner notes agreeing that his enthusiasm was justified.

In my view, it certainly is a nice show to listen to, even better if you were there I guess....regardless it's another very enjoyable release.
Last edited by Guest on Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:09 pm

Well Mike, I like your reviews very much but one thing:

::: Tony Brown's view was that this was a 'Killer concert,' with the liner notes agreeing that his enthusiasm was justified.

- this is no way KILLER show and Tonys enthusiasm is no way justified. He was DEFINITELY thinking about OTHER show, maybe December 76. He was asked and he probably told FIRST CITY that popped up in his head, as an example of GREAT ELVIS LATE SHOW. He did not supposed that this show wil be released one day of course.

Fort Worth is not worse or not better than El Paso, Tucson, Greensboro etc etc... just 1976 standard.

You wrote two detailing reviews, which are related to two shows commented by Tony Brown in interview with J.H.. He said ONE WAS ABSOLUTELY AWFUL and ONE WAS FANTASTIC. And you are trying to persuade everyone that he was basically right, even if you have audio document which tells quite different story. I am telling that he was TOTALLY WRONG in both cases, that's all :-). Don't kill me, please :(

::: regardless it's another very enjoyable release.

- sure it is!! Great package overall and worth to have!

looks like

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:31 pm

... Mike, a word of advice from a designer...

I know you put a lot of time in writing your reviews. And this is

not about me liking or not liking the recent madison. Lines of text

measuring approx 25 cm are a pain to read. After 5 lines of text

I loose interest. Its a dessert of words, that goes on endlessly.

... No illustrations where the reader can rest his eyes for a few

seconds... words... and more words. Imagine the page of your

newspaper looking like that?! All items are presented like this.

... Not just your review... Why not 2 colums of 12 cm each, with

1 cm space between them? And some photos to liven it up?

... Sorry, but as it is right now, is really bad. Maybe, the gentleman

responsible for the lay out of this mb, can use his imagination

a little more often?!...

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:40 pm

The "gentleman" do not use his imagination too often :(

Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:53 pm

Tis a good 1976 'standard show' but nice to have WITH opening acts making a complete sort of 'concert experience' sound is 'great' and worth waiting the 6 months for! :roll:

Holding Down The Fort

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:23 pm

Deadringer: rest assured I am not trying to persuade anyone about anything in this instance.

The LINER NOTES suggest that Tony Brown's 'enthusiasm' for this show is justified.....and I merely submit that, for me, this is a very enjoyable show.

So hopefully we are friends again?

Re: Holding Down The Fort

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:31 pm

Mike S wrote:Deadringer: rest assured I am not trying to persuade anyone about anything in this instance.

The LINER NOTES suggest that Tony Brown's 'enthusiasm' for this show is justified.....and I merely submit that, for me, this is a very enjoyable show.

Thanks for your reviews Mike, they're very much appreciated!

Holding Down The Fort

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:41 pm

Ger: I would welcome a better layout, but ultimately this has to be a matter for the directors of the site, as my skills in this direction are very limited.

Thanks for your thoughts though and I appreciate your ideas.

Re: Holding Down The Fort

Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:43 pm

Mike S wrote:Deadringer: rest assured I am not trying to persuade anyone about anything in this instance.

It is no crime to be positive on a '76 Elvis show.
It's some kind of fashion to rate any '76 very poor by some MB members.. Let's judge each show seperately.
Fort Worth is nice, your opinion is justified.
I have to admit though, after this June tour, things got worse....

Your review is appreciated by this dude..

Cheers, RJ

Holding Down The Fort

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:03 am

Thanks Robert and Joe for your appreciation.

I'm glad some of you are able to read them!

It is undeniably easier if you print them out---not that I'm presuming that they're worth this bother. Thanks for your comments all the same.

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:04 am

It's some kind of fashion to rate any '76 very poor by some MB members.. Let's judge each show seperately.

Aside from a few rare occassions, 1976 shows do not need to be judged seperately. As a whole, you pretty know what you are getting into when you crank one up....

Mike

Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:41 am

Mike S: we are friends all the time of course :P

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:14 am

Mike i fully appreciate ALL your reviews, including this latest one! :lol:

Holding Down The Fort

Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:31 am

Thanks YDKM.

They do take an inordinate amount of time to write, so I especially appreciate it if some find them helpful.

Thanks for posting to let me know.

Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:02 am

I think Brown's recollection of the College Park show is more reliable then that of the Fort Worh show.

After all, College Park was the first show where he joined the band as the piano player for Voice (right?) and it was the first show of the tour after the Vegas engagement.

I still believe the 'Fort Worth'-show Brown talks about was actually his Tuscon concert from a few days earlier. I really like that one! :)

Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:11 am

>>>>>I think Brown's recollection of the College Park show is more reliable then that of the Fort Worh show.

- I do not think so. I think - if he played piano in FORT WORTH, then his recollection of FORT WORTH is more reliable, and still totally wrong.

>>> After all, College Park was the first show where he joined the band as the piano player for Voice (right?)

- really right ??? in book there is written he played for ELVIS, as a substitute (wrong, Tony) Was Brown really there ?????????????????? Or his memory was misty ?

>>> I still believe the 'Fort Worth'-show Brown talks about was actually his Tuscon concert from a few days earlier. I really like that one! Smile

- well I like Tucson. Fort Worth too... but I think that Brown was not speaking about ACTUAL show. Just about any GOOd 76 show. Tucson - was not better than any other shows from May-June 76, Danny Boy aside. Do you think he will remember this? Atlanta 30.12.76. Wichita, Birmingham, Vegas 2.12.76 are all MEMORABLE. Not ordinary May-June-July-August 76 shows.

Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:58 am

Fantastic review Mike.

As always, enjoy reading your reviews buddy!!

Brad 8)

Re: looks like

Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:09 am

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... Mike, a word of advice from a designer...

I know you put a lot of time in writing your reviews. And this is

not about me liking or not liking the recent madison. Lines of text

measuring approx 25 cm are a pain to read. After 5 lines of text

I loose interest. Its a dessert of words, that goes on endlessly.

... No illustrations where the reader can rest his eyes for a few

seconds... words... and more words. Imagine the page of your

newspaper looking like that?! All items are presented like this.

... Not just your review... Why not 2 colums of 12 cm each, with

1 cm space between them? And some photos to liven it up?

... Sorry, but as it is right now, is really bad. Maybe, the gentleman

responsible for the lay out of this mb, can use his imagination

a little more often?!...

Mike, as someone who truly enjoys the work put into your reviews, I agree with Ger.

As I've learned from posting on this site as well as Elvis news, I have to hit the space bar several times for extra separation on the latter site and on this very site, there is a running debate about whether one should shorten one's sentences so that the paragraphs are
shorter like this
so that it doesn't
get cut up and you don't have
to scroll
as you read... :lol:

It's all rather tricky, enough that I eventually had printed nearly
all such reviews on good old fashioned paper and read them at my leisure far from the glare of a computer!

Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:16 pm

:lol: Just recieved this good release from Madison today. Pre-show is good and builds the 'atmosphere' nicely and main show is in very good sound showing Elvis's voice tones very clearly. Has a background hiss though. During C.C. Rider the sound is awful Elvis way,WAY back in the mix and full of feedbacks too. that song over his mix becomes very good.IF YOU LOVE ME is very different from usual and a charming version because of the different way he sings 'love me'- very nice addition! Polk Salad sounds great, but other songs are pretty much your average 'run of the mill' 1976 performances! his sound on early morning rain is perfect and Hurt(as usual) is a 'highlight' I found the sound overall an especially warm experience because he's having fun and you can REALLY hear his subtle tones on this quality soundboard.Certainly a show well worth waiting for and also the booklet filled up with many,MANY photos from the 27th and 30th May 76 afternoon show show Elvis in his white V neck suit-a hell of a lot of these pictures i'd never seen before! Happy Birthday to Bruce is another nice touch and made up with tracks from one month later you can hardly notice any difference at all.Just a tad above average 1976 show, but in GOOD SOUND, packaging and certainly one i'll be playing several times over this weekend and enjoying well done Madison and certainly worth releasing in THIS way! :lol:

Re: looks like

Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:29 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:It's all rather tricky, enough that I eventually had printed nearly all such reviews on good old fashioned paper and read them at my leisure far from the glare of a computer!

The solution is to collect Mike's reviews in a book a couple of years from now. I think it would be a bestseller! If that doesn't work out he could send them to Elvis: The Man And His Music. :wink:

Keith Richards, Jr.