All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Excellent E.I.C commentary.

Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:40 pm

Here is a link to a great read over at Elvis Information Network.

http://www.elvisinfonet.com/spotlight_E ... lease.html

A hoary old chestnut, no doubt.

Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:35 pm

Gee whiz, the same old arguments for releasing Elvis in Concert. Why would anyone listen to this familiar-sounding guy?

Oh, wait, because he's right! :D

Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:14 am

Let me save the dear members here some time.

The latest "Elvis In Concert" argument linked here is specious. It's yet more mindless, selfish whining for an official DVD release of our hero looking awful, near death and barely able to put together a decent performance for the CBS cameras in 1977.

Frankly, there's an unintentionally hilarious moment as well:

Tell me.. Have the recent books and documentaries delving seriously into the accomplishments and travails of JFK done anything to ameliorate the indelible impression of how he died?? No..........they give balance, yet they have done nothing to erase the jarring images of his last day. He is now taken more seriously as a President, so that the ONLY image isn't of the events of Dealy Plaza. But they HAVE NOT erased those images. Indeed they CANNOT. And Elvis' is an exact corollary.

The JFK Assassination placed on the same table with the 1977 Presley TV Special! That's a new one. For the record, here a definition the author clearly needs to study:

corollary. n. fact or proposition that follows naturally from one already proved.

If you choose to read the article, and manage to get all the way to the end, there is a blazingly intelligent "EIN Footnote" -- it neatly sums up the debate once and for all. Enjoy it, I know I did.

Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:31 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:If you choose to read the article, and manage to get all the way to the end, there is a blazingly intelligent "EIN Footnote" -- it neatly sums up the debate once and for all. Enjoy it, I know I did.

Doc, sometimes, you're plain EVIL! :twisted: :lol:
Last edited by Cryogenic on Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

EIC

Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:32 am

Elvis in Concert is something that did happen, whether it was wise to do the special or not could be debated but to keep it from the fans is hilarious.

The media won't be bothered with it, I didn't see any hoopla for the TTWII-SE nor for Aloha and 68 Comeback Special DVD box sets.
The public is very well aware that Elvis didn't look like he did in 1973 towards the end, it won't do his image any harm either, the footage is there already in excerpts here and there.

I have full confidence by the way that the Estate will release it, maybe not next year, but it will come, like it should.

Cheers
Simon

Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:35 am

It wouldn't be my FIRST choice, Carolyn. But it wouldn't be my LAST, either.......... :wink:

EIC is coming, folks. Eventually. Even if we have to piece it together ourselves! EPE is getting that material out there, bit by bit. An official release, in some capacity, isn't out of the question. I can see it happening. Just not yet.

Returning to your question, and answering it more specifically, I would have no problem showing people performances of HURT, UNCHAINED MELODY and TRYING TO GET TO YOU cold. Other stuff needs context. But most people don't even give a damn about Elvis at his finest. Those that can be reached, can be reached with almost anything... those that can't, cannot.

EIC

Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:38 am

Carolyn,

Whenever I show something from In Concert to a 'non-fan' the most common reaction is, ' is this from his last TV special? I thought he was 300 pounds at the time, he doesn't look that fat', and when most people hear and see him sing Hurt or How Great Thou Art, they usually are flabbergasted by his voice, I always like to hear that kind of comment.

The sad thing is that Elvis wasn't allowed to grow old like everyone else, remember the headlines at the time? 'Elvis Fat and Forty'
It grieves me that even fans have trouble looking at this, his last feat, and I for one always feel proud when I see him perform and give it his all, despite his illnesses.

Cheers
Simon

Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:53 am

carolynlm wrote:My own thoughts are.....
I don't think Elvis himself would want this released.....I truely believe that. Having said that, I don't think he had enough confidence in his fan base for us to forgive him...If he had been alive when this was due to go to air, I think he may have tried to stop it.
Did Vernon try to stop it????
We all saw it, and at the time I remember thinking that I didn't think Elvis was as ill as he was...but then Australian fans didn't get a lot of news on Elvis health at the time....
If this is released on the FTD label, then yes, I may purchase it.....I don't know, but it will be for my own personal use.

There are still some fans who haven't forgave him.

EIC

Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:57 am

According to people who were with him Elvis himself said at the time, I want the fans to see me on television, know what I am doing.
That is good enough for me.
The man sang his heart out, there is nothing there to be ashamed about.

He had guts and glory and went out with a big bang as far as I am concerned. Bring it on.

Cheers
Simon

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:26 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Let me save the dear members here some time.

The latest "Elvis In Concert" argument linked here is specious. It's yet more mindless, selfish whining for an official DVD release of our hero looking awful, near death and barely able to put together a decent performance for the CBS cameras in 1977.

Tell me.. Have the recent books and documentaries delving seriously into the accomplishments and travails of JFK done anything to ameliorate the indelible impression of how he died?? No..........they give balance, yet they have done nothing to erase the jarring images of his last day. He is now taken more seriously as a President, so that the ONLY image isn't of the events of Dealy Plaza. But they HAVE NOT erased those images. Indeed they CANNOT. And Elvis' is an exact corollary.

The JFK Assassination placed on the same table with the 1977 Presley TV Special! That's a new one. For the record, here a definition the author clearly needs to study:

corollary. n. fact or proposition that follows naturally from one already proved.

If you choose to read the article, and manage to get all the way to the end, there is a blazingly intelligent "EIN Footnote" -- it neatly sums up the debate once and for all. Enjoy it, I know I did.

Hey Doc............the corollary is the indelible imprint of both tragic deaths upon the psyche of the culture. The fact that BOTH deaths overshadow to a degree to this day the accomplishments of their lives, and that the release of scholarly material on JFK has done no more to erase those final moments than the release of Elvis '55-'73 has erased Elvis' final moments.

See...........that's a corollary.

Now...........let's see if you can Google the word "context". You won't have to post it. The definition is just for you. :wink:

Oh God..........we're not going to start another thread on this subject are we?? MODERATOR!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by Scatter on Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:30 am

carolynlm wrote:My own thoughts are.....
I don't think Elvis himself would want this released.....I truely believe that.

I don't follow Caro........he agreed to do it. He did it. Never as much as a whisper from intimates that he wanted it halted.

So how can you come to the conclusion he wouldn't want it released??

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:39 am

Scatter, I like your reference to the unintentionally funny Iraqi (dis)information mimister
rick

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:45 am

Thanks Rick............it would be a great deal funnier if it wasn't so damned accurate though :lol:

Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:11 am

Scatter wrote:Hey Doc............the corollary is the indelible imprint of both tragic deaths upon the psyche of the culture.

Of course, that's not the connection the author was trying to make. Why are you always defending morons? Do you feel a kinship? Perhaps you might want to let someone else throw down the gauntlet of stupidity next time.

Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:40 am

Scatter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Let me save the dear members here some time.

Hey Doc............the corollary is the indelible imprint of both tragic deaths upon the psyche of the culture. The fact that BOTH deaths overshadow to a degree to this day the accomplishments of their lives, and that the release of scholarly material on JFK has done no more to erase those final moments than the release of Elvis '55-'73 has erased Elvis' final moments.

See...........that's a corollary.

Now...........let's see if you can Google the word "context". You won't have to post it. The definition is just for you. :wink:

Oh God..........we're not going to start another thread on this subject are we?? MODERATOR!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

That was how I read it Scatter.......

Sorry Scatter.....didn't mean to start the debate again....just thought the article made a few salient points. This 'horse' has copped a bloody good flogging.

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:09 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Scatter wrote:Hey Doc............the corollary is the indelible imprint of both tragic deaths upon the psyche of the culture.

Of course, that's not the connection the author was trying to make. Why are you always defending morons? Do you feel a kinship? Perhaps you might want to let someone else throw down the gauntlet of stupidity next time.

Really??? Considering that I'm the author (or moron, as the case may be), I'd have to disagree with you.

Of course, I'm sure you'll insist that you know better than I what my clearly stated intent was, followed by the pithy "Read and Learn" :wink: :lol:

BTW.......I don't take offense at the "moron" comment, I really don't. I know we disagree on this subject as well as many others. And, absent from the article was the fact that I'm defending an FTD release, not a general public one.

I feel your position is just as moronic as you feel mine to be. Happily, you and I have learned to disagree and remain friends.

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:24 am

Scatter wrote: Really??? Considering that I'm the author (or moron, as the case may be), I'd have to disagree with you.

Listen Scatt, I thought you'd know by now, the Doc knows everything. Even what you mean when you don't mean it. :?
He reads, and learns, how to make everything seem the way he wants it to be!!!

I say release EIC, If E didn't back away from it then why should we???

8)

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:42 am

sam wrote:I say release EIC, If E didn't back away from it then why should we???

8)

Sam it's called 'revisionism'. :wink:

Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:38 pm

I personally would like to see "Elvis In Concert" get a proper DVD release, even if only through FTD...but until then I'll be very happy with my copies of "Love Coming Down".... :D :D :D

Fri Sep 15, 2006 7:50 pm

I don't think Elvis himself would want this released.....I truely believe that.

That is most likely true. If Elvis would have survived this period of his life (like someone mentioned in the Brian Wilson thread in the Off Topic section), it is very hard to imagine 30 years later a healthy Elvis embracing a release of this footage -- footage that shows him stumbling around the stage, unable to speak, looking like a savage and stoned out of his mind. It isn't like The Rolling Stones are campaigning for an official release of their Cocksucker Blues movie. Sometimes an artist makes a mistake or is involved with a controversial project that they decide should stay in the vaults.

I would have no problem showing people performances of HURT, UNCHAINED MELODY and TRYING TO GET TO YOU cold.

Really? Unchained is in some ways a brilliant performance, but the visuals are brutal. This isn't about people accepting Elvis being middle-aged and being allowed to fall out of shape. This is a guy that is very ill with a massive drug addiction. This is not footage that should be made officially available. People enjoy watching the trainwreck and are fascinated with this footage, but there is no reasonable explanation behind an official release.

If FTD wants to do something with this material, they could release a dual-disc of the Rapid City show as the cd and the DVD flip-side could include some of the better performances as visual footage. But fans screaming for all 3 or 4 hours of tape are dreaming. Why does anyone need to see Elvis stumbling around the stage butchering Love Me or making a mockery out of Hound Dog?

Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:09 pm

Scatter wrote:Considering that I'm the author (or moron, as the case may be), I'd have to disagree with you.

Although your essay fails to convince, and the corollary inaccurate, my respect for you as a person is such that I rescind that comment. You bear a daily personal burden with a strength that bespeaks respect.

The "EIN Footnote" was a surprise to me, BTW.

midnightx wrote:This isn't about people accepting Elvis being middle-aged and being allowed to fall out of shape. This is a guy that is very ill with a massive drug addiction.

Why this isn't clear to anyone who cares for Elvis and his music is a complete mystery. Maybe some fans need to feel superior to their hero, caught on tape at his worst.

midnightx wrote:... fans screaming for all 3 or 4 hours of tape are dreaming. Why does anyone need to see Elvis stumbling around the stage butchering Love Me or making a mockery out of Hound Dog?

Because they apparently don't give a sh*t -- all they care about is a personal need to "possess" this material. Respect for the artist and his legacy simply doesn't matter. The selfishness of these people is off the charts.

Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:31 pm

This is my question for the people who dont want to see EIC released. If you had the chance to see E in concert in 1977, would you go? Common people and the media were aware of his condition at the time.

Well????.............We all know the answer. Its a bit hypocrite to see a ''sick'' Elvis in the flesh, and cant watch a video-tape of it.

All this ''respect'' and ''care'' for his legacy is of course bull-s*it. Dont judge people who are in favour of EIC.

Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:44 pm

All this ''respect'' and ''care'' for his legacy is of course bull-s*it. Dont judge people who are in favour of EIC.

And don't judge people who are not in favor of an official release of EIC. Your lack of "respect" and "care" for Elvis' legacy is quite sad.

Maybe Eric Clapton's concern for his "legacy" should be ignored and he should just release the controversial 1978 documentary/film Eric Clapton's Rolling Hotel where he is drunk and stoned off of his ass and travling around Europe in a Nazi train.

Not everything that exists on film or tape should be released. If an artist or an artist's estate has "respect" and "care" for their legacy, deal with it.

Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:34 pm

3577 wrote:Common people and the media were aware of his condition at the time.

No, they were not, Einstein.

That's why millions and millions of people were left totally stunned by his death on Tuesday, August 16, and completely shocked at his appearance on TV that Monday, October 3. And that's why the media reaction was unprecedented and enormous.

You people are just the worst fans a person could have.

Sweet Inspirations member Myrna Smith made some perceptive comments about "Elvis In Concert." She might have some insight none of us can claim -- she worked with Presley from 1969 to 1977:

"The night of the show I told Jerry Schilling [on the phone], 'It really went great.' He said, 'Well, how does he look?' I said, 'He really looks good. He's lost a little weight.' But afterwards, when I watched it, I just burst out crying. We were all wearing blinders."

Heaven help the clueless on this MB.

Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:22 am

It'd be really hard on EPE to release EIC because once it's out....that's it. It's out. I don't think they will EVER be 100% supportive to release it. Even if they agree to start the process of the restoration---something tells me someone is going to pull the plug on the project not even halfway through it.