All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Has anyone heard the new Fort Baxter Great Lakes CD?

Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:42 am

I'd be interested in hearing how the sound has been improved.

Thanks,

Darrell

has anyone

Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:06 am

... Do I have it?... yes.
... Have I played it?... no.

... Does the packaging looks good?... yes.

... Am I gonna give it a spin today?... maybe.

... If I do, will I review it?... but ofcourse!

has anyone heard

Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:51 am

... With my son off to school, I sat down and played a large

chunk of this new release. Ann Arbor, the 4th night on this

may- april 77 tour, sounds very good indeed. And at times,

Elvis, in good spirits and "straight" voice, delivers fine versions

of Trying To Get To You, Mouintan, Polk Salad and Unchained

Melody. An okay Little Sister, and the powerful Hurt, My Way,

and the last few lines of Cant Help Falling In Love, 9 times out

of 10, still give me goosebumps. The previously unreleased

Hound Dog should have stayed unreleased.

... Its a pretty decent show, and Elvis is up. Trying the best

he can. And I can admire that.

The overall sound has really improved over the old Profile

release.

... Kalamazoo, two nights later, is not a very good performance.

Only a strong My Way and Mountain cant disguise the problems,

that night. Hes tired. His voice fragile at times.

... I leave this show to be reviewed by somebody else, if you

people dont mind?

... The bonus booklet, with 19 color shots from both concerts, and

excellent liner notes, is a treat for jumpsuit junkies.

Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:05 am

My CD is on its way, I guess I'll get it today. Sure am looking forward to this one as the previous releases in this series are outstanding!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Shakin' Up The Great Lakes

Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:09 pm

Hey Ger, thanks for leaving me the Kalamazoo show. For a moment I thought I was being made redundant.

Nice concise review by the way. My review should be up on this site eary next week.

has anyone heard

Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:42 pm

... Its gonna be tough, saying something positive about the

Kalamazoo performance... Hes rushing thru the oldies like

never before. Goes in to a good version of My Way, steps

aside, and [ going by memory] have the horror twins do

their thing... They were cut from the Profile cd, and were left on

the cutting floor once again, for this release!

Going by memory, once again: Elvis must have been really

tired, soon as the horror twins are finished, he rushes into

Hound Dog, as his final song, before Cant Help Falling In Love.

Hey Ger

Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:09 pm

You totally forgot two great versions of "If You Love Me Let Me Know" from these shows :lol:

?

Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:14 pm

Is this a double or single cd and what are the concert dates please?
TONY

Re: ?

Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:16 pm

TONY wrote:Is this a double or single cd and what are the concert dates please?
TONY

Single disc, see below (taken from the import section of this very site!!):

"The third release on the Fort Baxter Classic Series will be Shakin' Up The Great Lakes . This CD will feature the April 24th, 1977 Ann Arbor, MI show ( originally released on the A Profile - The King On Stage vol.1 ). Since the soundboard recording is incomplete the CD will contain also the performance recorded two days later in Kalamazoo, MI. Both soundboard recordings had some songs edited out when originally released, and for the first time presented in their complete form. These two concerts certainly make a nice double features as both contain several songs done only once, songs like ; Trying To Get To You, Jailhouse Rock, Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel, Help Me, Little Sister, Polk Salad Annie, Unchained Melody, Little Darlin', Big Boss Man, Heartbreak Hotel, And I Love You So, Blue Suede Shoes and Hurt.

The material is presented in its best-ever sound quality to date with a 12 pages colour booklet, relevant text and photographs. This is scheduled for release in September. Definitely a very interesting CD to those who missed them out back then, and further more since it will be in better sound quality."

Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:46 pm

I had my doubts about the re-issues from FB. But if Ger says its really better quality, theres no other way to buy them.

Re: Has anyone heard the new Fort Baxter Great Lakes CD?

Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:53 pm

Darrell wrote:I'd be interested in hearing how the sound has been improved.

Thanks,

Darrell

Not sure how they did it, but it is another great job. Not just a re-issue but a thorough re-working.

Elvis is in great spirits in Ann Arbor as we already knew and gives perhaps his most solid performance of 1977. It is a boon to have this in a fuller, clearer sound. The source tape is obviously a good one for this show, and the Baxter boys have done a good job in reaping the full benefit of this.

Kalamazoo found Elvis in a different state. He is clearly tired and ill prepared to be on stage. The show kicks off with Love Me which is slow and ponderous. Nexts comes a brief false start of Fairytale - it is indicative of Elvis' mood this night that he did not even bother to try again, but moves swiftly on to the unchallenging If You love Me (Let Me Know). You Gave Me a Mountain is messed about with, but a rousing Big Boss Man briefly raises the game 2 tracks later, before sound problems further wreck the show. My Way would have to be the only other real highlight of the show, before a mega sloppy Hound Dog and straight into CHFIL. Not one of Elvis best nights - a smash and grab evening for 7000 Kalamazooans!!

The sound on the Kalamazoo tape is by no means as good as Ann Arbor. Fort Baxter have done their best to equalize and noise reduce the sound without destroying the dynamic, but the hiss from the soundboard tape persists.

It is the artwork again that raises this release above the mundane however. The booklet is simply superb with a stack of great on stage photos, tickets, and a well written essay by "Sniffy" McGillis.

Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:37 pm

I'm very sad that this CD also doesn't contain the solo numbers by Kathy and Sherrill. They are both great,esp. Kathy. Though i know many of you don't really like their effort,but there's the skip button. Maybe around 2017 we'll get the uncut Kalamazoo concert finally.
I'll buy this CD,because i still don't own these shows,but i have a feeling that i'll be more satisfied with Madison's 'Holding Down The Fort'.
When BMG/FTD re-release songs again and again and they cut out the solo numbers from the concerts,that's O.K. to me. But FB is not FTD,after all. When bootleggers do the same,well,that's very sad. Or rather laughable.

Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:47 pm

Johanesson wrote:I'm very sad that this CD also doesn't contain the solo numbers by Kathy and Sherrill. They are both great,esp. Kathy. Though i know many of you don't really like their effort,but there's the skip button. Maybe around 2017 we'll get the uncut Kalamazoo concert finally.
I'll buy this CD,because i still don't own these shows,but i have a feeling that i'll be more satisfied with Madison's 'Holding Down The Fort'.
When BMG/FTD re-release songs again and again and they cut out the solo numbers from the concerts,that's O.K. to me. But FB is not FTD,after all. When bootleggers do the same,well,that's very sad. Or rather laughable.

But the disc is full @ 75+ minutes so no space for these songs unfortunately - you must agree it is more important to have as much of the Elvis performance as possible in preference to the backing singers "filler" songs.

I actually quite like the songs, unlike most posters here, but I find it very sad that an Elvis show of 60 minutes often comprises of 8 minutes of I Got A Woman/Amen & 10 minutes of protracted band introductions, without having Sherril & Kathy doing a song each. It is nothing short of scandalous really. The crowd had already heard a first half of backing singers, and to use them in this manner is the height of laziness!!

Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:28 am

This new release by the FORT BAXTER label is great for its artwork. Not more, not less. The shows itself are not so great.

I would say: the weakest release of the series so far which is not due to the producers but to Elvis who is simply not in a good shape anymore.

Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:48 am

The April 26 Kalamazoo gig might not have won any awards, but Felton Jarvis did choose that night's performance of "If You Love Me (Let Me Know)" for use on Moody Blue.

has anyone heard

Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:09 am

... Mr. Johanesson, for your information: no complete soundboard

recording exists of Kalamazoo. So dont bother to wait till 2017...

On Stumbling In The Fort package/ madison, the highlight of the

evening, the immortal comedian Jackie- pubic hair on my soap-

Kahane is not included... His jokes were sooo funny, the engineer

bursting out in laughter, by mistake, pushed the erase button.

Another crime the bootleggers will pay for, when entering

rock n roll heaven! The good news is: madison are preparing

a compilation cd, featuring: Kahane, the Horror Twins, Voice,

and a barking dog, on the forthcoming "For Fruitcakes Only".

Place your order now! :shock:

Re: has anyone heard

Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:25 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote: The good news is: madison are preparing

Will it have the 'pop' from Hound Dog though? Or the long lost recording of 'Brown Dog' about Elvis' hate for said animals ... oh wait, that's on volume 2 - Elvis sings for cretins and nut jobs to!

Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:38 pm

Brown Dog - be careful, this title is NOT ALLOwED on this forum :-)))

Re: has anyone heard

Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:45 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... The good news is: madison are preparing

Now thats funny. :lol:

Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:48 pm

To me Kahane is very funny.

Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:54 pm

Ger,I know that the Kalamazoo soundboard is incomplete,like most (or all?) soundboards from '77. But according to Oven Egeland's site,the solo numbers were recorded.

http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/kalamazoo.html

You are very lucky that you had the chance to see several Elvis shows in the 70's,but don't forget that some of the fans (including me) were born only after Elvis' death. So all we can get are live CD's and DVD's.

About Kahane,i agree that he was boring,but he was the part of the show, after all. When i listen to the opening acts on audience recordings i have a strange feeling that i'm there and it's great for a person who has never had the chance to see an Elvis show. I mean a complete show,not only his part,which is almost too familiar to a fan who owns many live CD's. The solo numbers at least give some variety. And i sincerely think that songs like 'If you leave me now' and 'The last time i saw him' (by The Sweet Inspirations) are very good.

Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:15 pm

The Technical notes on the booklet clearly state that the solo numbers were omitted due to time limitations, so yes they were taped but did not fit on the CD!!!

Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:17 pm

That means there's gonna be another CD ... :wink:

Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:35 pm

That means there's gonna be another CD ...

Yes. They know exactly that there are crazy fans who will buy the Kalamazoo show again just for those 2 solo songs.

The Technical notes on the booklet clearly state that the solo numbers were omitted due to time limitations, so yes they were taped but did not fit on the CD!!!

I understand that,but a double CD would solve that problem. 2 incomplete shows + some bonus material. Maybe some previously released material in better sound.

But apart from the omission of the solo songs,i think this CD will be a very good buy for those who didn't buy these shows earlier. I hope FB will release ALL of their earlier CD's with better sound and package.

has anyone heard

Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:05 pm

... No way, Johansson! The Horror twins will never ever see a release

on any possible future Baxter classic... Not while my old boss is still

alive! And hes the one who pulls the strings.

... Isnt it kinda strange, this new Baxter, available for 6 days now,

still has not officially been announced as such, on the website

newspage? ... Neither has College Park, for that matter. Something

wrong, mr. moderator?