All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Is the song I'll Never Fall In Love Again (say, the undubbed version on OMOE) pathetic?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:52 pm

Yes
9
16%
No
47
84%
 
Total votes : 56

Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:49 pm

ClintReno wrote:
Steve_M wrote:There are people I've met who really believe i have a problem if i don't understand what they are saying. When i reply, "Try explaining it to me in a way that I understand" I get a look of "Huh?" that comes over their face.


You don't say ! ;)


Okay, would your response not be similar if I said "Blah blah blah blah blah ?" to you.

I would expect you to ask me wtf I meant. That i guess is the difference between me and others it seems. i would reply as best I could explaining what i meant and not have a look of "Huh ?" on my face.

To tell me that I don't say it (when I just clearly did and you quoted it) would not be true as you claim. why do others also say what appears to be a nonsense phrase from time to time?

when you say that the word "pathetic" was used colloquially i dismissed it out of hand as an assumption on your part as you hadn't qualified the alledged fact with anything. Had you been the one to have posted the question in the first place, that would have been different.

If you have people on the interweb having to grasp what's nearly the default language these days then they are going to use things like the OED and relevant official meanings to guide them. For us to be informal in an almost flippant way doesn't show much consideration for those others overseas. all I'm trying to do is make up for that within the previous comments i made.

Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:32 pm

FlamingStar wrote:I will be the first and only one to write the 100th post in this topic!


Well, i've always liked "I'll Never Fall In Love Again." Elvis have a strong voice and it's a very special song.

Never thought about it as phatetic.. :roll:


I'm with you FlamingStar


:D

Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:38 am

FlamingStar wrote:Well, i've always liked "I'll Never Fall In Love Again." Elvis have a strong voice and it's a very special song. Never thought about it as phatetic.

I don't think anyone has ever thought of it as "phatetic."

Reality Check #101:

BMG producer Ernst Jørgensen -- he's worked on Elvis Presley CD releases for almost 20 years -- had a big assignment. He was enlisted to choose 93 studio tracks, across 4 CDs, for the Walk A Mile In My Shoes - The Essential 70s Masters box set. A definitive collection.

But, somehow, he couldn't find a place for such an "incredible" and, apparently, "essential" performance as "I'll Never Fall In Love Again."

I'm Never Going To Fall In Love Again

Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:49 am

Steve_M: I'm not wishing to be impolite here but honestly....

Pathetic can mean 'arousing pity and sadness' in an appropriate context but as this is patently a sad song, it would be a bit silly to have a poll to determine such a fact.

The Poll is plainly asking whether you consider this to be an inadequate performance by Elvis.

So what do you reckon?

Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:35 am

Nothing to do with "can mean" Mike. It does mean, check your OED. The informal meaning can mean something else but there is only one formal meaning for the word.

I thought the question meant pathetic and not pathetic. how dumb of me to question it.

Maybe those that just assumed they knew what it meant and never questioned it go through all of their life in such a fortunate and lucky fashion.

Pardon me for raising the issue. I have learnt (hopefully) by my mistake and wont repeat the shameful stupidity I commited again. :roll:

Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:56 am

Steve_M wrote: Pardon me for raising the issue. I have learnt (hopefully) by my mistake and wont repeat the shameful stupidity I commited again. :roll:


Now go and stand in the corner!!! :wink:



Only joking Steve!!! :D

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:40 am

I find his cover of 'I'll never fall in love again' a lot better than songs like 'Susan when she tried' and 'Love coming down' on the 70s boxset. I guess there did have to be room for mediocrity somewhere, disc 4 is the one i least play.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:27 am

Steve_M wrote:when you say that the word "pathetic" was used colloquially i dismissed it out of hand as an assumption on your part as you hadn't qualified the alledged fact with anything.


Steve

Although your logic may be (or may not be) impeccable, your spelling is atrocious. The word is spelt "alleged".

Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:36 am

Spellbinder wrote:Although your logic may be (or may not be) impeccable...................


Come on, Spelly, which is it ?

Don't sit on the fence.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:41 am

ColinB wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:Although your logic may be (or may not be) impeccable...................


Come on, Spelly, which is it ?

Don't sit on the fence.


In some ways it is - in other ways it isn't.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:59 am

Spellbinder wrote:
ColinB wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:Although your logic may be (or may not be) impeccable...................


Come on, Spelly, which is it ?

Don't sit on the fence.


In some ways it is - in other ways it isn't.


Now that is pathetic............

Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:06 pm

ColinB wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:
ColinB wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:Although your logic may be (or may not be) impeccable...................


Come on, Spelly, which is it ?

Don't sit on the fence.


In some ways it is - in other ways it isn't.


Now that is pathetic............



In which sense are you using "pathetic"? (see above)

Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:24 pm

Spellbinder wrote:
Steve_M wrote:when you say that the word "pathetic" was used colloquially i dismissed it out of hand as an assumption on your part as you hadn't qualified the alledged fact with anything.


Steve

Although your logic may be (or may not be) impeccable, your spelling is atrocious. The word is spelt "alleged".


So?

The information is out there many many times - I can't spell very well and am prone to typos more than ever.

There it is again. :wink:

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:42 pm

Spellbinder wrote:
ColinB wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:
ColinB wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:Although your logic may be (or may not be) impeccable...................


Come on, Spelly, which is it ?

Don't sit on the fence.


In some ways it is - in other ways it isn't.


Now that is pathetic............



In which sense are you using "pathetic"? (see above)


In the sense of "you're a pedantic old fence-squatter"

Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:21 pm

Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:I find his cover of 'I'll never fall in love again' a lot better than songs like 'Susan when she tried' and 'Love coming down' on the 70s boxset. I guess there did have to be room for mediocrity somewhere, disc 4 is the one i least play.


Susan When She Tried is a breath of fresh air Scott. Excellent country pop song, with Elvis in great voice and full of enthusiasm. Nothing mediocre about it. I'm inclined to agree on Love Coming Down though. I find that song a little dreary. Elvis' performance is ok, but the song is weak.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:55 pm

He was in a much better state of mind during the Today sessions, with the exception of being perpetually annoyed with Duke Bardwell.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:32 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
FlamingStar wrote:Well, i've always liked "I'll Never Fall In Love Again." Elvis have a strong voice and it's a very special song. Never thought about it as phatetic.

I don't think anyone has ever thought of it as "phatetic."

Reality Check #101:

BMG producer Ernst Jørgensen -- he's worked on Elvis Presley CD releases for almost 20 years -- had a big assignment. He was enlisted to choose 93 studio tracks, across 4 CDs, for the Walk A Mile In My Shoes - The Essential 70s Masters box set. A definitive collection.

But, somehow, he couldn't find a place for such an "incredible" and, apparently, "essential" performance as "I'll Never Fall In Love Again."


What if he did choose ''I'll Never Fall In Love Again''?


See, it's all about choices EJ had to make, selecting the 70's Box-Set. In this case, a personal one.

Maybe it's a matter of, ''how can i satisfy everyone?

Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:15 am

Steve.

What is the point of your pointless pontificating posts old boy?

I thought we were talking about an Elvis song, not trying to split the atom??

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:37 am

TJ wrote:
Scott Haigh 781990EP wrote:I find his cover of 'I'll never fall in love again' a lot better than songs like 'Susan when she tried' and 'Love coming down' on the 70s boxset. I guess there did have to be room for mediocrity somewhere, disc 4 is the one i least play.


Susan When She Tried is a breath of fresh air Scott. Excellent country pop song, with Elvis in great voice and full of enthusiasm. Nothing mediocre about it. I'm inclined to agree on Love Coming Down though. I find that song a little dreary. Elvis' performance is ok, but the song is weak.


Agreed on Susan When She Tried TJ. As for Love Comin' Down, I like the song but think this is one of the vocal performances that reveal
Elvis' health and substance abuse taking a toll on his voice.

Doc -
Point taken about I'll Never Fall In Love Again not being on the 70's box, but then again Early Morning Rain didn't make the cut and most (including myself) would argue that it should've been on there. But unlike EMR
INFILA didn't deserve to be on the box.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:18 am

Pete Dube wrote:Doc -
Point taken about I'll Never Fall In Love Again not being on the 70's box, but then again Early Morning Rain didn't make the cut and most (including myself) would argue that it should've been on there.



Is there a fake Doctor in the house?

Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:13 am

3577 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:But, somehow, he couldn't find a place for such an "incredible" and, apparently, "essential" performance as "I'll Never Fall In Love Again."

What if he did choose ''I'll Never Fall In Love Again''?

But -- he did NOT. That's the point! It was not good enough for a definitive 1970s box set. Not good enough to find a place among FOUR CDs. Not good enough to fill one of 93 slots.

3577 wrote:Maybe it's a matter of, ''how can i satisfy everyone?

Exactly, and everyone was very happy that "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" was left off the definitive, 1970s Elvis Presley box set.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:05 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Exactly, and everyone was very happy that "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" was left off the definitive, 1970s Elvis Presley box set.



No, they weren't.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:45 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Exactly, and everyone was very happy that "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" was left off the definitive, 1970s Elvis Presley box set.


And of course you speak for everyone, John Boy.
If you actually read this thread and looked at the postings as well as the poll results, you would realise this statement is wrong.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:46 am

Oh I have changed my mind... the song really is pathetic! :)

First I thought it wasn't pathetic (unsuccesful) but now I realize it really is a pathetic (sad) song. However this discussion is both pathetic and pathetic!!

Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:34 am

Hey, why don't we make a new poll called: Was everyone very happy that "I'll Never Fall In Love Again" was left off the definitive, 1970s Elvis Presley box set? :roll: