All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Is the song I'll Never Fall In Love Again (say, the undubbed version on OMOE) pathetic?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:52 pm

Yes
16%
No
84%

Total votes : 56

I'll Never Fall In Love Again: pathetic?

Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:52 pm

To vote on a question that seemed to be controversial recently.

Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:02 pm

To be sincere..I don`t like the song too much..no matter if undubbed or not..too blown up..

Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:03 pm

Elvis did some pathetic songs in the 60s and 70s but this ain't one of them. Imo. This does not mean it is good but pathetic? Elvis sounds pretty good on the JR sessions FTD. The Memories undubs were not done well and somehow screwed up Elvis' voice or something compared to FTD.

Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:14 pm

pa·thet·ic (p?-the<breve>t'i<breve>k) - adjective

1. Arousing or capable of arousing sympathetic sadness and compassion
2. Arousing or capable of arousing scornful pity

SYNONYMS:  pitiful, pitiable, piteous, lamentable

The answer to your question is ... yes.

Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:20 pm

Pathetic? No...

Below par? Sadly, yes...

However, I agree with what Ernst had to say about how some would view Tom Jones' version - it's so butt-clenchingly bad you want to slap him!!!!

ps - I dig Tom Jones :lol:

Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:52 pm

Mark Nicholson wrote:However, I agree with what Ernst had to say about how some would view Tom Jones' version - it's so butt-clenchingly bad you want to slap him!!!!

I'm not sure who you want to slap; is it Ernst, Elvis or Tom ?

Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:32 am

The version of this song is by no means pathetic! The manner in which Tom Jones did it, and the subsequent comparison to EP's version, is just down to interpretation and personal preferences. Was it the Ernst book that said "while Jones sighed his way through it masterfully (or something positive to that effect)...", and then going on to attack EP's version as ditto bad? That, to me, is plain horseshit. It's, again, down to preference.
Each version has it's own qualities. And fortunately EP didn't try to make a cabroncopy of Jones' version as he did with Green Green Grass.
For instance, the sheer power and clarity in EP's voice on the last "in love" couldn't be matched at all by Jones even if he wanted to, before or after. Considering EP's state at the time it is really good. For pathetic, try Hey Jude. EP in peak condition delivering a vocal grossly out of key in several places, and couldn't even be bothered to get hold of the lyrics before embarking on the recording.

Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:41 am

The only pathetic thing in this thread or on this messageboard for that matter is the fact that you started it you schmuck!

Sincerely MB280E

Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:43 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:pa·thet·ic (p?-the<breve>t'i<breve>k) - adjective

1. Arousing or capable of arousing sympathetic sadness and compassion
2. Arousing or capable of arousing scornful pity

SYNONYMS:  pitiful, pitiable, piteous, lamentable

The answer to your question is ... yes.

No, the answer is actually no.

Definition number 1 is certainly inappropriate for our purposes here, as whilst it is an accurate definition of pathetic, it does not reflect the common usage of the word, and how it is applied in this case. By definition 1 standards any emotional ballad could be termed pathetic.

Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:31 am

I have to say, I quite liked this song when I first heard it on TJRS.

Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:42 am

I like the song and Elvis sings it superbly!!!

8)

Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:45 am

Wow! We seem to be running low on things to discuss here... excellent post!!

:shock:

Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:51 am

Regarding my posting above - to answer Colin's question - I, of course, refer to Tom Jones.

That sob he forces out when he sings "And it looks like..." makes me want to heave!!!

Billy smith

Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:07 am

Once I read Billy Smith saying that he didn`t think that the song should ever have been released. I didn`t understand that, because I allways liked it. :D

Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:39 am

As I mentioned on another thread, from the pen of Robert Matthew-Walker (works on : Rachmaninoff, Havergal Brian , Robert Simpson, David Bowie, Alun Hoddinot, Simon and Gafunkel, Beethoven, Edvard Grieg, Chopin, Vyacheslav Artyomov etc):

"Occasionally Presley's voice falters as though overcome by emotion. This is great singing, and the effect is shattering."

I concur.

Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:42 pm

Larry Dickman wrote: "Occasionally Presley's voice falters as though overcome by emotion. This is great singing, and the effect is shattering."

I concur.

So do I.
This is a beautiful listen, with much feeling!!!

8)

Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:43 pm

Hey it's 96% for 'no' & 3% for 'yes' !

Wot about the other 1% ?

The "don't knows" ?

Or the "maybes" ?

I think we should be told !

Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:47 pm

ColinB wrote:Hey it's 96% for 'no' & 3% for 'yes' !

Wot about the other 1% ?

The "don't knows" ?

Or the "maybes" ?

I think we should be told !

Roundings, just roundings!! (Very bad roundings mind you :wink: )

Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:01 pm

I absolutely love this track. It is one of my all-time favourites - in the Desert Island Discs category in fact.

Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:10 pm

Love the song, all though I think Elvis could have done a better job voice wise. His voice sounds weak. But at the same Elvis wasn't in a very good condition in 1976...

Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:12 pm

Let's have a word with the voter himself, Mr E. Blackadder.

Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:27 pm

Personally, I would say that Elvis wasn't vocally up to the challenge. But I wouldn't it pathetic. Weak, but not pathetic.

Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:29 pm

It is without a doubt pathetic, though as some have indicated it is hard to ascertain whether that was intentional or not.

Most ballards appeal through their pathetic nature and structure, but that alone never makes for a great song.
I think the question asked in the poll is more than just werong, but too specific and misleading.

"INFILA - a good performance ?" may have opened debate to be more about where Elvis was at comparitively which i think could be at the heart of what some are saying. As a song there's nothing bad about it at all, it's Elvis that's fallen short in certain aspects / areas, but nevertheless it was as it should be a pathetic version which given its a ballard seems an irrelevant or insignificant angle.

Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:55 pm

Steve_M wrote:It is without a doubt pathetic, though as some have indicated it is hard to ascertain whether that was intentional or not.

Most ballards appeal through their pathetic nature and structure, but that alone never makes for a great song.
I think the question asked in the poll is more than just werong, but too specific and misleading.

"INFILA - a good performance ?" may have opened debate to be more about where Elvis was at comparitively which i think could be at the heart of what some are saying. As a song there's nothing bad about it at all, it's Elvis that's fallen short in certain aspects / areas, but nevertheless it was as it should be a pathetic version which given its a ballard seems an irrelevant or insignificant angle.

Would be interested to know where you think he has fallen short, what aspects/areas?

Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:10 pm

"Ballard" ? Surely that's "werong" !

I've never liked the overall sound of INFILA - just doesn't have a natural feel to it. But then again, I've never particularly liked "Without Love", either, which is a similar sort of dramatic ballad.

I have to agree with Shane Brown about Elvis's treatment of G G Grass of Home. It's quite different from TJ's. When Elvis's version first came out, I didn't think it was as good as Tom Jones's. But I long ago changed my mind on that !

Steve Morse