you have! But as a child from the 50s, the English language wasnt

included in our school education, back then... So what I know, comes

from what Ive picked up as a child,paging thru American comic

books, and listening to Elvis records... plus a bit of this and a bit

of that, while growing up. Im too lazy in having to pick up an

Dutch/ English dictionary, when searching for some subtile way in

cutting down some sorry ass yanks and mr. Car, so, yeah, my

choice of words is somewhat primitive at times,and my statements

perhaps a little too black and white?...

Having said that... I still find it an enormous waist of talent, when

mr. Presley recorded all them silly happy songs, in his later

years. He surely was one of the greatest populair singers of the

20th Century... But he never was an artist/ artist , looking for

new horizons, trying for something different. Getting stuck in

Vegas for no less than 8 [ eight!] years in a row, says enough

for me. Had he lived, hed be singing Celine Dion songs, for

god sake!

Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:49 pm

likethebike wrote:I do agree with Ger though that for most of the 1970s Olivia was pretty much the pits.

That must be the reason she was the female, number one best selling artist in the USA in the 1970's.

carolynlm wrote:-
Even in the latter years, after she finished with the 'Grease' image....there is one album of hers that I play regularly...so regularly that I can't remember the name of it right now..... It has songs on it like 'Deeper Than The Night'.....

That is the 'Totally Hot' LP from 1978 which boasts the terrific hit single 'A Little More Love'. If you enjoy this LP I would also reccomend her 1985 album 'Soul Kiss'.

Andy

Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:01 pm

Ger wrote: But he never was an artist/ artist , looking for

new horizons, trying for something different. Getting stuck in

Vegas for no less than 8 [ eight!] years in a row, says enough

for me.

Getting stuck in Vegas is all for you? How simplistic of a view. You know that wasn't all Elvis' fault. And there was more to Elvis than the vegas image. And you are wrong, he was an artist, even if he if wasn't a writer, he still was a different artist than he was in the 50's, and he grew as a vocalist. He was still an artist that had more to accomplish in the mid 70's.

Ger wrote:
Had he lived, hed be singing Celine Dion songs, for

god sake!

Don't confuse the songs with the hideous singer.

She/he has recorded some great material. But I can't stand her either.

Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:31 pm

Regardless of ONJ's treatment of the song, Elvis' March 20, 1974 version
of Let Me Be There was a fine performance... one of his best from his later years.

Re: jan/feb

Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:31 pm

Tallhair AKA Ger Rijff wrote:... If you have a choice out of hundreds and more hundreds of

great songs, and you go for sh*t , sung by Olivia, than the pills

surely had done their destructive work! Bummer!

This specific post you did is **** IMO. You do not like Olivia┬┤s song and I do not like your view of the topic. :D

BTW: Let Me Be There and If You Love Me are great tracks!!

jan/feb

Thu Sep 14, 2006 6:56 pm

... Thanks for pointing that out to me, Renan... where would I be

without your brilliant comments. Now can we burry miss John, please!

Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:07 pm

Can we bury Ger instead :wink:

Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:27 pm

Can't we just bury Celine Dion?

Goodness, Jenkins, she makes El's studio version of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face sound like a classic! :shock:

Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:24 am

I can see where Ger is coming from. Looking at the 1974 song list Elvis covers the ONJ hit (and to be fair does it well) - but why not Gordon Lightfoot's Sundown?
When he plays Vegas in Jan./Feb. '74 what recently recorded number does he bring to the live show? His then current single, the charming I've Got a Thing About You Baby? Nope. A class ballad such as Lovin' Arms or Good Time Charlie's Got The Blues? Nope. He does Spanish Eyes. Granted he does it well, but why not some of the aforementioned stuff to offset the Elvisbert Presleydink bit?

Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:05 pm

One thing that hasn't been discussed here is that artist see things a little differently than we do. They may not always be musically articulate their vision but they see beyond the mundane like these ONJ songs. Peter Guralnick remembered that when he first met Ray Charles, Charles could not stop talking about his latest favorite album which was by Jackie Gleason the tv comedian. While Gleason was a giant in comedy, his efforts as a bandleader are considered mediocre at best by most critics. Still Charles may have heard something everyone else missed.

That's why I don't give Elvis too much grief for recording anything outside of the worst movie songs. Most of the vehicles he chose to perform were things that spoke to him. Something like "Softly as I Leave You" is a good example. Modelled after a performance by Charles Boyer, Elvis' part is almost a complete recitation of a completely fabricated sop story. I don't know of another performer who would have even tried it and virtually none who could have pulled it off. I think it's a successful experiment though as it moves me every time. Some fans still hate it but Elvis is really trying to get at something even though it may not to be everyone's taste.

It's a lot harder to appreciate a lot of Elvis' artistry for many fans because Elvis worked in a somewhat unique manner. Throughout his career, Elvis' preferred method of creation was to find a moment through trial and error. Mostly Elvis found his inspiration through work rather than working to satisfy inspiration. While there were times when recording sessions were more rigid like the '69 Memphis sessions and times when he went in with specific songs in mind, most of the time Elvis worked the other way. A lot of times, he had specific ideas in mind. For instance in 1960 he probably wanted to display his growth as a vocalist. In March 1972 he probably wanted to say something about his divorce. In that context, a track like "Fool" is forgivable because it let him get at the very fine "Separate Ways" and "Always on My Mind". Sometimes he probably would preferred to keep his vision to himself like in the February 1976 sessions. But even here he had something to say in and it came out in the recordings and it came out mostly through working at it.