All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Re: Kurt Russel?

Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:13 am

elvisa wrote:
Matthew wrote:Elvis: The Movie is the definitive take on Elvis' life so far. Yes it has its mistakes but there is a lot of heart in that movie and Kurt Russel is brilliant.
What are you talking about? Is Kurt Russel in the latest film Elvis(2005) ?, and I sertenly don`t see ANY heart in the film, where is it? I can`t see it, only HURT :!:

You did read what my post said right?

Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:48 am

Well, He looks good as Elvis, but he doesnt look like Elvis.

And the way he is acting? My God. He's overdoing everything...too bad, this could have been good...

Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:31 am

Rockin_John wrote:Well, He looks good as Elvis, ...

???!!!

Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:48 am

LesterB wrote:

???!!!

Let me refraise that. He looks good as AN Elvis...

Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:03 pm

I don't think it was as bad as people claim. But he had to do too much in that 68 scene and he did it with the wrong attitude. Elvis was nervous but this guy thinks he owns the World. It may not matter to the casual TV viewer but to us fans who know this show by heart this ruins the whole experience.

Why don't somebody make a really serious dramatic movie about Elvis? Something like "Ray" or even better. Walk the line didn't impress me. Well the performances by the actors did but the movie didn't. It's funny that the old movie with Kurt Russell still is the best attempt to make a serious movie about Elvis. And that also was for TV. We want something good for the big screen!

Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:20 pm

What we really need is an expanded version of This Is Elvis. The series would be something like 21 episodes using Elvis own voice for narration of which we have many sources now including the new On Tour narrations. An actor could be used for certain scenes to ensure continuity and then we have thousands of photos and hours of footage of Elvis himself to tell the story. Also - this would have to be cheaper option for everyone involved. People would then see Elvis properly and be astonished.

Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:58 pm

:shock: I am just shocked to see this. It is horrible... Is face... it is doing 200 experssions in a minute...He gives the impression of being mental or high on dope.. Elvis certainly wasn't on dope during the Comeback Special...

He doesn't look one bit like Elvis, all the movements are completley wrong... The worst acting job ever... :shock:

Did he really get a Golden Globe for this?? :shock: How much acting class do you have to have to reach this level?? I can't believe Graceland/Priscilla/Lisa are happy with this.... :shock:

It does show you that there's absolutely NOBODY that can play Elvis in a natural way and have the same charisma... There will be only one Elvis.

Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:05 pm

Nora Sivle wrote:Here is some proof that even a girl can do a much better 68 Elvis than that gayperson mayers.What a total loser!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UgDg_NII4c

Being as that video was made ages before EPE got involved with Rees Myers I'm surprised that they didnt approach her to play the part. The first time I saw this video played on UK TV I was taken aback especially by a couple of still shots they inserted in black and white. i thought they were playing tricks a little bit but they are all of her. She pulled it off very well and that's the only time I can truly say I've seen a tribute to Elvis.

Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:40 pm

JeroenNL wrote:... it is doing 200 experssions in a minute....

SUPERB - You have hit the nail on its head :lol:

you 2ube

Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:19 am

He looks more like Ricky Nelson than Elvis Presley

Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:25 am

Please don't insult Ricky Nelson. Ricky was 6ft 1in. This Meyer retard looks like a nerd without a neck and can't even mime If I Can Dream properly.

Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:08 am

He's not portraying Elvis correctly. Instead of making it look like Elvis from '68...looks more like Elvis from '56: moving around...giving glares and curling his lip everywhere. In those sit down shows, Elvis wasn't that animated and moving around in his chair. He was for the most part still and plain old cool. He should've studied that show much more. It seems like he saw the dialogue parts only...not the performances.

Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:14 am

Instead of making it look like Elvis from '68...looks more like Elvis from '56

He doesn't look like Elvis at ALL... He looks retarded, mental, psycho, schizo...all in one minute...

What an unsult this is!

They should have asked Chris Isaak to do this one, THEN you would have someone who CAN act, who has NATURAL charisma and who looks the part and can SING...

This production and all dvd's pressed should be burned and buried with radio active waist :evil:

Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:28 am

ElvisAhlgren wrote:Walk the line didn't impress me.

May I ask why not? Just politely asking, because I have never met anymore who didn't like the film. There are people, especially fans, who notice the goofs. But still it is my favorite biopic in recent years. Ray a close second. I learned things. And I forgot that I am watching actors. They even did their own singing, which was wonderful.

But the little clown couldn't carry a tune if his life depended on it. That was so stupid, at Sun Studios having him begin in his own voice and jump to the Elvis playback. I have talked about Rhys-Myers in detail before. I thought it was a wasted opportunity. The attention to era detail (clothes, cars, instruments...) is incredible for a mini-series. And the supporting cast, especially parents, is great. And I gave him the benefit of the doubt. But apparently he didn't carry the film, as the lead actor should and must be able to do. And the hair! Yuck! He overdid too many scenes and to me it turned just plain rediculous. I didn't watch the dreadful If I Can Dream performance on the TV screen. The smaller online comparison was enough. And ultimately that was that. A big nothing. In a way it reminded me of scenes like shooting at the TV, eating burgers, all the cliches that the general public likes to laugh about.

But Walk The Line was just like wow. I must admit that I didn't recognize Elvis at first. I thought Tyler Hilton looked more like Chris Isaak. And the chilli fries scenes was strange. But since the film is based on the autobiographies I suppose this really happened. I need help with the parking lot / bomb / tree scene. A guy walks over to JR, gives him pills and says Elvis takes them too. So does this debunk the story, that Elvis began popping pills in the Army? Also how long did this tour last? Call me ignorant, but I have no idea that Elvis, Bill and Scotty rode in a motorcade with JR et al. And that June gave JR The Prophet to read. To bad there wasn't another scene what he thought of the book.

What I am trying to say is that this story was greatly entertaining, but at the same time very moving. And of course the advantage is that the audience gets to see the incredible lows, getting busted, but at the same time getting clean with the help of a strong woman and other people, who genuinely cared. And at the end the proposal on stage. And yes I came away impressed and their life never fails to touch me.

With Elvis there is always the question what to show. End on a high point like the Comeback Special. Or divorce or 1977? Ultimately you can only leave the audience with the note that Elvis died at the young age of 42, because of his addiction to prescription pills. And with Walk The Line you get the honest truth, no sugar-coating, but you are always happy, because JR made it.

Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:49 am

Matthew wrote:Elvis: The Movie is the definitive take on Elvis' life so far. Yes it has its mistakes but there is a lot of heart in that movie and Kurt Russel is brilliant.

Kurt Russell is definitely the best Elvis yet in the movies about Elvis.

A Dick Clark gem.

Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:55 am

Yes, KURT RUSSELL's ELVIS THE MOVIE is indeed the Best yet! He did a lot of research and study on Elvis. He did his homework well.

Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:28 am

I always thought Dale Midkiff from "Elvis and Me" really did his homework. He had Elvis' laugh and his mannerisms. I still am content with his performance more than anyones.

Oh, and what about the guy from "Elvis and The Colonel"....talk about ugly... :shock:

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:03 am

CD King wrote:Yes, KURT RUSSELL's ELVIS THE MOVIE is indeed the Best yet! He did a lot of research and study on Elvis. He did his homework well.

I think the other thing that helped was that Kurt was a fan... and he actually knew who Elvis Presley was... unlike Myers.

God, they're (EPE) embarrassed about releasing Elvis In Concert and they put that trash on television... I almost want to physically hurt that guy!!!

:twisted:

Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:30 pm

Kurt Russell was still good in the later movie, 3,000 Miles from Graceland. In one scene, he even autographed the LP album, It Happened At The World's Fair. At the end of the movie during the closing credit, he mime to "SUCH A NIGHT" - real class of a pefortmance.

Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:13 pm

This is, without a doubt, the worse portrayal of Elvis there has ever been,and possibly ever will, unless you include any comedy sketches.

After watching this show on TV i began to hear my self say to this actor 'What on earth do you think you are doing?.

He looks absolutely NOTHING like Elvis.

What was he trying to do with his lips?

The last time i saw a mouth like his, it had a hook in it.

Bad, very bad. Bad as you can get.

Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:23 pm

Sean, I absolutely and totally agreed with you. Jonathan Rhyls Meyer is completely hopeless as "Elvis".
His very high forehead and horrible hairstyle is nothing like Elvis' at all.

And he had the advantages over Kurt Russell as he had access to the original Elvis songs and he blew it.
He can't even mime them properly. The 68 Comeback Sit Down and If I Can Dream sequences were embarrassingly terrible.
This 2006 CBS Series is an insult and a total disgrace to the legacy of the super great Elvis Presley. How could EPE allowed this to happen?