All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:25 pm

By 1977 Elvis was finished. Give or take a moment of glory (and they still where there), but overall you could call him a DEAD MAN WALKING.

But Ger, there is a far more dumb title for a cd. The worst one I have heard was JAILHOUSE ROCK MAN IN CONCERT.

Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:23 pm

And what about "THE NIGHT WHEN ELVIS SUNG WHEN THE SNOW IS ON THE ROSES"?

Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:29 pm

Rob: the Baltimore disaster

- what was DISASTER ??? it was not a bad show considering the Elvis health etc... Elvis was backstage 20 minutes but it was not real disaster... he compensated the time backstage by singing:

AFTER INTROS and return:

Hurt
Hound Dog
Help Me
Unchained Melody (Elvis at piano, by request)
Blue Suede Shoes
The Wonder Of You (part only)
One Night
O Sole Mio (by Sherrill Nielsen)/It's Now Or Never (medley)
Can't Help Falling In Love

Ant it was 85 minutes show with Elvis 20 minutes out.

I remember how David Bowie cut the show short to one half only here due to health problem... press noticed too but nobody called it a disaster, when he cut the show short.

Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:55 am

YDKM wrote:taken as a complete show i actually quite enjoy that baltimore show. he started badly but when he returned sang well and strongly. I cannot imagine if i'd been present and stayed for the entire show that i would have left anything other than satisfied and very puzzled!

If you told me this show was entertaining to a certain point, I would agree. But I'm definately not enjoying it!!!

Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:22 am

deadringer wrote:Rob: the Baltimore disaster

- what was DISASTER ??? it was not a bad show considering the Elvis health etc... Elvis was backstage 20 minutes but it was not real disaster... he compensated the time backstage by singing:

AFTER INTROS and return:

Hurt
Hound Dog
Help Me
Unchained Melody (Elvis at piano, by request)
Blue Suede Shoes
The Wonder Of You (part only)
One Night
O Sole Mio (by Sherrill Nielsen)/It's Now Or Never (medley)
Can't Help Falling In Love

Ant it was 85 minutes show with Elvis 20 minutes out.

I remember how David Bowie cut the show short to one half only here due to health problem... press noticed too but nobody called it a disaster, when he cut the show short.

At the time it was no complete disaster.
Many people probably left satisfied that evening..
However, press stated:
"What's with Elvis? Walks out on show in Balto.."

It is a disaster given the time frame: May'77.
Had Elvis lived for another number of years nobody would have spoken about this incident..

Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:10 pm

It was all too visible that night, that Elvis had more than a little problem or just a bad night. Of cause nobody would have talked about it if Elvis had lived longer and recovered from his addiction. But Elvis didn't recover and didn't live longer. He was on his way down and this concert shows it. Sometimes live can be simple, believe me! That doesn't mean that every day was a bad day, even during his may tour he gave good shows. But in those days mediocre or even bad shows where normal, the good ones became the exception. Sad but true.

:idea:

Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:41 pm

Baltimore wasn't the only show where Elvis left the stage. He left the stage at every show! Otherwise how would he have gone to the toilet and had a sandwich? DOH! :shock:

Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:43 pm

Thomas - not surprised your not enjoying the show (given the sound quality of the release!) and JAILHOUSE ROCK MAN the Rochester show was a damm good show actually! with some great rock cutting loose that night.3 of the best shows that tour were the ones 25th,26th & 27th May 1977.

Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:42 pm

26th and 27th were the Binghampton shows, right?
Yes, they were quite strong for 1977.

Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:11 pm

I don't think that Binghampton was only strong for 1977. They are simply two good shows. As I wrote before: Elvis still could do it, if he was (relatively) clean and willing to perform.

Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:19 pm

deadringer wrote:Rob: the Baltimore disaster

- what was DISASTER ??? it was not a bad show considering the Elvis health etc..

Had Elvis been in good physical health and had to leave the stage because of a normal illness, I would agree with you. However, the man was less than three months away from death. He should have been in a hospital (at the very least) and not on stage. At the time, to the normal fan, it was probably not a big deal. In hindsight, to a lifelong Elvis fan, the show was a disaster.

He came back on stage and had some decent performances of a few songs. But, here is the greatest showman the world has ever seen, coming on stage in so much pain that he can hardly function (again, remember, he's dying here), and has to leave the stage in front of thousands of people.

This is the same man who worked himself to near exhaustion just 7 years earlier during the TTWII performances and now he cannot move without pain. The Baltimore show from May 29, 1977 was a disaster in every sense of the word.

Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:36 pm

Rob wrote:
deadringer wrote:However, the man was less than three months away from death. He should have been in a hospital (at the very least) and not on stage.

Elvis did visit the hospital after this tour right?
But left after a few days..

What did his doctors tell him?
Nothing?

Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:00 pm

Thomas wrote:26th and 27th were the Binghampton shows, right?
Yes, they were quite strong for 1977.

dl wrote:I don't think that Binghampton was only strong for 1977. They are simply two good shows. As I wrote before: Elvis still could do it, if he was (relatively) clean and willing to perform.

In spite what some of the bootlegs have said, it's B-I-N-G-H-A-M-T-O-N, folks, Binghamton. :D

http://www.cityofbinghamton.com/

I think it's possible to agree with both Rob and deadringer, depending on how much one wants to think beyond entertainment...and about his actual state...

dl, I've grown to like "Jailhouse Rock Man In Concert"... Just like this one, "Send Me the Light...I Need It Bad" is kind of brilliant in its way. :lol:

deadringer wrote:And what about "THE NIGHT WHEN ELVIS SUNG WHEN THE SNOW IS ON THE ROSES"?

Now that one is laughably bad. :lol:

Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:58 pm

Robert: Elvis did visit the hospital after this tour right?
But left after a few days..

- no, Elvis visited hospital after March tour and was there till April 03. It was his last hospital visit.

Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:03 pm

::: The Baltimore show from May 29, 1977 was a disaster in every sense of the word.

- I disagree. It was a triumph in one way. You have Elvis here, yes, dying, in pain, but he RETURNED ON STAGE (he could go back to hotel or to hospital instead, right?) and he sing several songs, among them 3 great performances of Hurt, Help Me and Unchained. He did EVERYTHING to compensate his 20-minute break and he did everything to please and satisfy his loyal fans. Its very sad, very moving, but at the same time I see some bravado in it.

Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:05 pm

deadringer wrote:
And what about "THE NIGHT WHEN ELVIS SUNG WHEN THE SNOW IS ON THE ROSES"?

Now that one is laughably bad. Laughing

- long as train....

Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:14 pm

'Ringer wrote:

He did EVERYTHING to compensate his 20-minute break and he did everything to please and satisfy his loyal fans. Its very sad, very moving, but at the same time I see some bravado in it

Good point. I prefer to try to think of shows like EIC in this light...

Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:14 am

::: Good point. I prefer to try to think of shows like EIC in this light...

- me too. I do not want to deny the facts that:

1. Elvis was far from his best, physically, mentally, and yes sometimes also vocally

2. Elvis was sick and on drugs most of te time => negative influence to his show

3. Elvis was dying and he probably knew it better than others around him

But: he was doing his job till the very end and sometimes he suceeded and played surprisingly good show - in 1977 too. I have understanding for the MAN and if I will listen these last shows, I will dom it just because they are interesting and touching to me. It is too cheap to say "he was out of it and he should be locked in hospital". I think that in 1977 he reached his own "point of no return" and Elvis felt that there is not too much of time left...

Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:57 am

Binghamton - yeah.

Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:39 am

deadringer wrote:It is too cheap to say "he was out of it and he should be locked in hospital". I think that in 1977 he reached his own "point of no return" and Elvis felt that there is not too much of time left...

I hear you, 'Ringer, but at the same time, it needs to be said, just the same. It's almost as if one should not enjoy too much of, say '77 Elvis, without pausing (just once in awhile ) saying, this man needed to see the inside of a hospital, not a stage in (gasp) Rapid City or Indianapolis. :shock: