All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:26 pm

BIGREDG wrote:where a deranged fan nearly does for Paul Simon before being intercepted by security!!

I got that DVD too. Scary moment. And you can really see the anger in Paul's eyes as he continues to play the guitar.

Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:35 am

Elvis' version is patterned after the cover by Delbert McClinton. Chip Young played on Delbert's session and brought it to Elvis' attention.

Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:58 am

elvisjock wrote:Elvis' version is patterned after the cover by Delbert McClinton. Chip Young played on Delbert's session and brought it to Elvis' attention.

McClinton released a pre-Jan'69 recording of "I'm Movin' On"? Where exactly may this be found?

The accepted story is the Presley track grew out of a jam of the Hank Snow song -- Elvis loved Snow's early recordings.

Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:24 am

00ps
Last edited by sam on Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:52 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:Elvis' version is patterned after the cover by Delbert McClinton. Chip Young played on Delbert's session and brought it to Elvis' attention.

McClinton released a pre-Jan'69 recording of "I'm Movin' On"? Where exactly may this be found?

The accepted story is the Presley track grew out of a jam of the Hank Snow song -- Elvis loved Snow's early recordings.

:? :? :?

8)

Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:40 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Doc -
elvisjock is referring to Pledging My Love, and the information he relayed is in Ernst's A Life In Music. Did you have the I'm Movin' On thread in mind?

Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:47 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Seems the Doc may be human after all????

Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:12 pm

BIGREDG wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Seems the Doc may be human after all????

Or not!!! :wink:

8)

Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:24 pm

sam wrote:Seems the Doc may be human after all???

Or not!!! :wink:

8)

Yeah, I guess that was a bit far fetched!!!

Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:49 pm

PML is one of my all-time favourite Elvis recordings. I can remember when it first came out! The full length alt jam on the Platinum box was worth the cost of the set itself. Brilliant!

A bit silly to think the song has a jinx though. As pointed out, Roy Orbison lived many years after singing it. A lot of people have sung the song over the years. Tom Jones recorded it around thirty years ago!!! Last thing I knew, he's still doing well.

Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:58 pm

David Allen Coe sang it as well :wink:

Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:43 pm

Pete Dube wrote:elvisjock is referring to Pledging My Love, and the information he relayed is in Ernst's A Life In Music. Did you have the I'm Movin' On thread in mind?

Obviously so -- thanks for setting me straight, and in a gracious manner.

As for "Pledging My Love," Elvis knew the song well and, as I wrote, was a great fan of the Johnny Ace single from the moment it hit the top 20 in February 1955. He probably even appreciated Teresa Brewer's cover, which also went top 20 about a month later. He really kept his ear to the radio in his first full year as a professional, as they searched for a sound they could call their own.

In 1976, it's likely Felton who moved the musicians towards McClinton's arrangement. Incidently, where may McClinton's pre-Oct '76 cover of the song be found?

Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:53 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:elvisjock is referring to Pledging My Love, and the information he relayed is in Ernst's A Life In Music. Did you have the I'm Movin' On thread in mind?

Gracious ?

Our Pete is never otherwise !

Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:38 pm

ColinB wrote:Gracious ? Our Pete is never otherwise !

Well, at least with people he likes and respects !

Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:01 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

As for "Pledging My Love," Elvis knew the song well and, as I wrote, was a great fan of the Johnny Ace single from the moment it hit the top 20 in February 1955. He probably even appreciated Teresa Brewer's cover, which also went top 20 about a month later. He really kept his ear to the radio in his first full year as a professional, as they searched for a sound they could call their own.

In 1976, it's likely Felton who moved the musicians towards McClinton's arrangement. Incidently, where may McClinton's pre-Oct '76 cover of the song be found?

It's on Delbert's Honky Tonk 'n' Blues album. MCAD 10933

Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:08 am

This song is haunting for me. Maybe it's the story behind Ace's demise, or that disturbing moment in Copkiller, when Harvey Keitel's character dances naked after taking a shot of heroin

Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:14 am

Colin and Doc -
Thanks for the kind words.

Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:46 pm

elvisjock wrote:It's on Delbert's Honky Tonk 'n' Blues album. MCAD 10933

That's a 1994 CD compilation. Delbert's "Pledging My Love" was actually a part of the 1976 album Genuine Cowhide:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... vsa9igb23g

Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:25 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:It's on Delbert's Honky Tonk 'n' Blues album. MCAD 10933

That's a 1994 CD compilation. Delbert's "Pledging My Love" was actually a part of the 1976 album Genuine Cowhide:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... vsa9igb23g

You're welcome.

Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:55 pm

Yeah its weird that Elvis sang happy birthday several times and he died. The same happened to my granny. It scared the sh*t outta me! From here on, all I ever sing on birthdays is "for he's a jolly good fellow" cos I ain't takin' any chances!!! :wink:

Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:38 pm

elvisjock wrote:You're welcome.

Touché. I appreciate your previous reply, as I trust you do mine. I'm going to track down that 1976 album, as it contains a few interesting covers from the early days besides the Johnny Ace hit.

Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:37 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:You're welcome.

Touché. I appreciate your previous reply, as I trust you do mine. I'm going to track down that 1976 album, as it contains a few interesting covers from the early days besides the Johnny Ace hit.

Doc, there's a CD reissue from the Australian Raven label (Raven RVCD-65) containing both 'Genuine Cowhide' and 'Victim of Life's Circumstances plus some bonus tracks.

The raven label has got other interesting releases too, e.g. a Joe South compilation with his own version of 'Walk A Mile In My Shoes' and 'Don't It Make You Wanna Go Home'.

All the best,
Skjernaa

Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:51 pm

Thank you for the tip!