All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Pledging My Love

Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:18 pm

Am I the only one to think that there is something scary about this song?

Young Johnny Ace died one year after he was the first to bring this song to sucess, as we all know he shot himself.

Roy Orbison performed this song and died. Elvis recorded it and died one year later.

I can't explain, but I'm getting the shivers when I hear that song and the lyrics don't seem to fit to it at all.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:20 pm

It makes sense!

But I think this is coincidence!

But I gotta an idea: all impersonators should record the song to check it out! :P :P :P :twisted:

Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:24 pm

I'll make a 100% cast iron guarantee for everyone:

Anyone who records this song, sings it out aloud or even reads this thread or who doesn't read this thread - will ALL DIE!

Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:27 pm

R.I.P. Steve :lol:

It was good to know you guys...even it was just virtually! :lol: :lol:

Re: Pledging My Love

Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:36 pm

Thomas wrote:Am I the only one to think that there is something scary about this song?

Young Johnny Ace died one year after he was the first to bring this song to sucess, as we all know he shot himself.

Roy Orbison performed this song and died. Elvis recorded it and died one year later.

I can't explain, but I'm getting the shivers when I hear that song and the lyrics don't seem to fit to it at all.

Nothing scary here ... Roy had well documented heart issues, put the song out in 1974, and died 14 years later.
Johnny Ace died during a game of russian roulette ... nothing mystical or weird about either death ... heart disease with Roy, stupidity with Johnny.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:39 pm

I didn't say straight away, no one was claiming anyone died immediately.

but if anyone manages to avoid death after reading this thread or singing that song I'll pay them $1M linked to inflation if they do.

We'll have a divvy up in say the year 2500 as that should be long enough to prove to me you're not going to die. I'll leave the details with my estate.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:19 pm

Steve, your insight is giving me shivers.

If immortality is just a myth, then how do we explain this mb?

Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:44 pm

Why do you offer 1 M $ ?

That can be dangerous.

You never know!

Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:42 pm

Tom Jones recorded a version of "Pledging My Love" in 1974. He is still alive and well.

Tom (from Ohio)

Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:49 pm

And I sing it in the shower every morni

[Ha Ha - so who hit 'submit' then ? - The Management]

Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:02 pm

FlamingStar wrote:Why do you offer 1 M $ ?

That can be dangerous.

You never know!

how is that dangerous ?

If I'm still alive in 494 years time then to me that's worth paying that price - all you need to do is 2 things, one: - still be around and two: able to find me.

Everybodys dies after having done something, its just a question of how long afterwards that differs and making sure that you dont assume the two things are connected.

My grandfather died after he got a job.
What i dont mention is that it was 75 years after he got the job and I never said it was because of getting a job.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:34 pm

Thomas, Check this out on Ebay - seems you were right all along :wink: :lol:

Absolute BARGAIN @ $2000!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HAUNTED-ELVIS-RECORD-moody-blue-paranormal_W0QQitemZ180024606960QQihZ008QQcategoryZ19270QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:01 am

hounddawgs6499 wrote:Tom Jones recorded a version of "Pledging My Love" in 1974. He is still alive and well.

Tom (from Ohio)

And so did Delbert McClinton (1976, GREAT version, by the way) and as far as I'm concerned, he's also doing better than ever :D

All the best,
Skjernaa

Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:45 am

BIGREDG wrote:Thomas, Check this out on Ebay - seems you were right all along :wink:

Haahaha! I like this guy's other auctions ;-)

Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:16 pm

skjernaa wrote:
hounddawgs6499 wrote:Tom Jones recorded a version of "Pledging My Love" in 1974. He is still alive and well.

Tom (from Ohio)

And so did Delbert McClinton (1976, GREAT version, by the way) and as far as I'm concerned, he's also doing better than ever :D

All the best,
Skjernaa

Yeah, maybe right now, but they will die, trust me on this they cannot last. They involved themselves with this song. They will die, you'll see. :wink:

Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:21 pm

Elvis undoubtedly loved this song, probably from the first time he heard it in 1955. It's perfectly suited to his style.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:29 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Elvis undoubtedly loved this song, probably from the first time he heard it in 1955. It's perfectly suited to his style.

Good call. I don't always agree with you (as Clint said, "opinions are like arseholes, everyone's got one". The pun was intended, Dickman), but you're right on the $ here.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:34 pm

So you both agree that you like the song. Wow, perfect match. Maybe you should go to a football game together.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:43 pm

What we call footy and what American football is are two different games.

Trust me, its just not cricket!

Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:50 pm

That unedited master Enst put on The Jungle Room Sessions kicks. Playing it now in the office.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:55 pm

and still alive? ;-)

Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:53 pm

There is a spooky quality about the record in Ace's version especially that echo and Ace's plain spoken recitation of the lyrics. Elvis' version is more rousing and upbeat.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:11 pm

A very nice performance by our man
rick

Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:21 pm

I would like to recommend the fantastic song "The Late Great Johnny Ace" by Paul Simon. You´ll find it on the album "Hearts and bones" from 1982.

//Björn

Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:24 pm

dreambear wrote:I would like to recommend the fantastic song "The Late Great Johnny Ace" by Paul Simon. You´ll find it on the album "Hearts and bones" from 1982.

//Björn

Great song!! I have it on the Concert In Central Park DVD (one of my personal all time favourites) where a deranged fan nearly does for Paul Simon before being intercepted by security!!