All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:38 pm

elvis-fan wrote:I'd have to say that Sentimental Me ranks up there as one of Elvis' finest vocal performances.
One song I've always been quite fond of and absolutely screams "ELVIS" is Any Way You Want Me... it is truly hypnotic.
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You is also a gem...

Great selection Brad! I really think only EP's voice from the fifties would have been right for "Anyway you want me," or "I want you, I need you, I love you." Later on, with his voice change, it wouldn't have been the same.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:11 am

Hello friends!
I agree, all the songs above are fantasntic.
Others with perfect vocal & arrangment ( in my opinion):
1. Theres always Me
2. Just For Old time Sake
3. I feel that ive known you forever
4. What now , what next , where to...
5. I Met her today
6. Echoes Of Love

sincerely
LIOR :wink:

Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:04 am

April, 1963. The third track of the first side of your newly acquired album ends with a sliding pluck of the electric guitar and a quick bang from the drums. It’s a shallow imitation of what is supposed to be Rock and Roll from the man who defined the term less than a decade ago. Instead it comes out as a mediocre cut performed merely to the point of adequacy, and hardly worth mentioning next to tracks like The Kingsmen’s recording of “Louie, Louie,” a stunning single that’s currently racing its unintelligible self into worldwide fame. It’s a raw, explosive cover of a relatively obscure R&B track originally written and recorded by Richard Berry, reinterpreted to be something entirely different: unadulterated Rock – an art form your hero used to be inimitable at, but something he seems to have strayed away from in recent months, preferring instead to record family-friendly tunes with rounded edges such as the one you just finished listening to. As you start to wonder if Elvis has still got the power to take complete control of a song, the next track on the LP starts; calm, plaintive piano notes play over a deep, fuzzy hum alongside a similarly emotive guitar which gently build up to a mournful tacet. And then that voice starts with a single line that expresses so much from the very first note – not with the words, but purely by the way its read: “Take away the scent of flowers, cover up the sky of blue...”

The song is “They Remind Me Too Much of You,” and it comes from the pen of Don Robertson, the “master of the tender, evocative ballad,” as Colin Escott describes him in the liner notes to Something for Everybody. Elvis had previously recorded several of Robertson’s tracks with complete and stunning success, including “I Met Her Today” and “Anything That’s Part of You,” the latter a serious contender for the most beautiful recording ever made by any artist. But it’s edged out by this track for its completeness, its ability to come full circle. It swells and fades with every verse, the music continually reflecting the mood of the lyrics and the voice, listing all the otherwise lovely things in life that remind him too much of his (ex-)lover. What makes this recording even more remarkable is that it’s a soundtrack recording, further depreciating the myth that all of Elvis’ Sixties soundtrack material was below par.

But the deciding stroke that makes this recording one of Elvis’ best doesn’t come until the final verse. “If these lovely things don’t hurt you,” Elvis sings with wounded optimism in his voice, adding frailty to the mix in the next line as his voice reaches even higher notes with silky perfection and ease, “our love just wasn’t meant to be...” And then it happens, the perfect ending to a perfect performance, tying everything together and leaving the listener breathless before brimming with excitement to start the track immediately over again: “But please come back to me, my darling, if they remind you too much of me.” The singer accepts the fact that the girl might not come back, but without even saying the words, he implies that he’ll go on without her; his heart is in her hands and he has no choice but to let her decide what happens next – and all this with hardly a single line to express it so directly! The perfection stems from every part of the creative process involved in the making of this song; Robertson’s lyrics and music are never over-sentimental, lacking not a single line or idea; although recorded at Radio Recorders without the Nashville “A-Team” (but recorded with the song’s composer in the studio), the instrumentation is warmly felt in the background like the comforting glow of a fireplace but never overbearing or intrusive; and that stunning voice, at the height of its craft, flawlessly sliding into every note seemingly without effort and used to express every loving emotion. Listen to this one with headphones on and your eyes closed, it will give you goosebumps every single time. How lucky we are to have a Repeat button.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:14 am

You Never Walk Alone
If I Can Dream
That's someone You Never Forget

I am sure these choices will change by tomarrow as I listen to more
grat CD......Opps jst thought of another one 'Lovin' Arms'

Burning Love

Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:37 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Keggyhander wrote:And let's not forget his perfect live recordings also.

Hey there, little ETA, don't derail a nice topic just because we're speaking of classic studio performances, moments of perfection that you couldn't manage on stage, inside your overstuffed white jumpsuit, in a thousand lifetimes of trying.

Oi! Arsehole!

Don't derail the topic yourself with your petty bitterness. You don't bother me with your insults. Because you're nothing. A smeg stain. A nobody with a keyboard. Accept it.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:39 am

For 'Ol Times Sake is pretty good, although Elvis copied the phrasing and arrangement from the Tony Joe White original.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:46 am

Keggyhander wrote:Don't derail the topic yourself with your petty bitterness.

You're right. the doc is bitter, bitter with the way the impersonators are screwing the songs of Elvis, and making Elvis a caricature.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:55 am

Jove wrote:
Keggyhander wrote:Don't derail the topic yourself with your petty bitterness.

You're right. the doc is bitter, bitter with the way the impersonators are screwing the songs of Elvis, and making Elvis a caricature.

Whatever.

You can wipe Doc's fluid from your chin now.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:16 am

My choices for perfect Elvis recordings are:
Mystery Train
Trying To Get To You
Heartbreak Hotel
Money Honey
Hound Dog
Don't Be Cruel
So Glad You're Mine
Lawdy Miss Clawdy
Love Me
All Shook Up
Jailhouse Rock
Santa Claus Is Back In Town
One Night
Trouble
New Orleans
A Big Hunk O' Love
It's Now Or Never
Such A Night
Reconsider Baby
Are You Lonesome Tonight?
Anything That's Part Of You
Little Sister
Surrender
Can't Help Falling In Love
Suspicion
Return To Sender
It Hurts Me
I Need Somebody To Lean On
How Great Thou Art
Indescribably Blue
Long Black Limousine
Suspicious Minds
Any Day Now
I'll Hold You In My Heart
In The Ghetto
Kentucky Rain
Tomorrow Never Comes
Just Pretend
Burning Love
Lovin' Arms

Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:32 am

OK I wont take the easy was out as Pete did. I'll only choose 3 out of the many songs Elvis sang to perfection!!! :wink:

Suspicious Minds
Burning Love
Moody Blue

Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:59 am

Peter Franks:

Very nice write-up on “They Remind Me Too Much of You"... :D

I still get a bit of that iffy "Camden" feel when I first hear the opening bars, as it was heard by many on their dicey compilation, "Elvis Sings Hits From His Movies, Vol. 1."

In time, I've come to appreciate it much as you do.

Just as many of us are waiting for an Likethebike essay anthology on Elvis, I think any such Peter Franks book will be a keeper too.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:44 pm

Hello CROLYN
yes , you right, FAME & FORTUNE is perfect recording by the king
On my way back home i heard on the car another 2 great 7 perfect songs
they are from the same L.P. sountrack: GIRLS,GIRLS,GIRLS ! 1962
1. WHERE DO YOU COME FROM
2. I DONT WANT TO...

These 2 recordings are so perfect, Elvis vocal is in his best on them.
Too bad these 2 were not included in the film, just a little glance of I DONT WANT TO in the trailer :wink:
LIOR