All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:51 am

HOUND DOG also on my TOP TEN list and the irony is Leiber said 'it was just a lot of noise.'

ANY DAY NOW- also on my list, probably his best soulful rendition, full of emotion ad passion.

GIRL OF MY BEST FRIEND my all time favorite pop song and only ELVIS could have sung the word 'LOVE' in 5 perfect syllables.

I'LL REMEMBER YOU-unedited version, his most haunting vocal plus 2 pianists and 2 drummers

Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:09 am

ColinB wrote:
Keggyhander wrote:And let's not forget his perfect live recordings also.

I nominate "Trilogy" from Afternoon In The Garden

One thing is certain, there'll never be agreement as to Elvis' best live song performances [not from the members of this MB, anyway].

The Wonder Of You!!!

8)

Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:04 am

Suspicious minds. The master is just flawless, perfect.

Just pretend i could add too. Who else but Elvis can sing like that?!

Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:26 am

Hey there, little ETA, don't derail a nice topic just because we're speaking of classic studio performances, moments of perfection that you couldn't manage on stage, inside your overstuffed white jumpsuit, in a thousand lifetimes of trying.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:47 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Hey there, little ETA, don't derail a nice topic just because we're speaking of classic studio performances, moments of perfection that you couldn't manage on stage, inside your overstuffed white jumpsuit, in a thousand lifetimes of trying.

Very nice words!!! You are in a good mood today Doc !!!

:lol:

Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:50 am

sam wrote:
ColinB wrote:

I nominate "Trilogy" from Afternoon In The Garden

One thing is certain, there'll never be agreement as to Elvis' best live song performances [not from the members of this MB, anyway].

The Wonder Of You!!!

Well, yeah, but I meant that, with his live songs, there's no agreement about which versions are best !

Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:54 pm

3 perfect studio songs: Heartbreak Hotel, Are You Lonesome Tonight, Fountain Of Love.

Could go on for a few more.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:34 pm

I didn't mention the 10 songs from the Sun singles.

The only way they could be improved is in the technology used to record them; nothing else.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:21 pm

Suspicious Minds
Just Pretend
Anything That's Part Of You

Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:34 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rockin_John wrote:... the jordanaires vocals during Scottys solo ads to the song ...

Exactly right -- the excitement level on "Hound Dog" goes off the charts when the Jordanaires harmonize over Scotty's guitar solo. It's an amazing choice of arrangement, and it works even now, 50 years later.

And the "bang chord" that starts the second guitar solo is really nasty in a positive way. Makes me wanna party and drink booze :D

//Björn

Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:45 pm

That it's noise is what makes "Hound Dog" so brilliant. IMO it's the first great white noise recording and anticipates everything from "Anarchy in the UK" to "Smells Like Teen Spirit". In its era it was probably the loudest record ever made and it basically defied every kind of mainstream pop music convention. I think L&S were just not ready for it and as proud musical parents were not ready to have their baby taken away.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:59 pm

Something Blue
Love Me
Can´t Help Falling In Love

Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:10 pm

3 Perfect Elvis recordings?

Don't

I'll Remember You

Solitaire
:wink:

Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:36 pm

You have a good point, but Song of the shrimp can still be recorded more perfect, as long as you take it more serious..

And yes, maybe i thought about "Best performances" when i mentioned "Solitaire", but it's a great recording anyway..

Long black limousine and Where Did They Go Lord is great numbers too :wink:

Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:07 pm

shanebrown wrote:Two other contenders from movies would be They Remind Me Too Much of You, and I Need Somebody to lean On.

Those are great catches, shane!

Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:59 pm

Time for me to add a couple more !

My original concept was for all-round perfection in terms of arrangement, all vocal and all instrumental contributions, and indeed studio sound :

His Latest Flame was the first Elvis record I ever owned. When I now listen to the first tentative takes, I am even more in awe of the master. That magical opening, with its insistent Bo Diddley rhythm; the piano behind "Though I smiled . ."; and Elvis conveying the hopelessness of having lost his girl, but having to tell someone. It's pop music perfection, and I would not be averse to a remix along the lines of ALLC. It's got the same sense of urgency to it.

A Fool Such As I is the first Elvis record I can specifically recall hearing. The people next door had it and fortunately the walls were thin enough, or the windows open enough, that we got to hear it. I can recall my older brother saying it was Elvis's best record. After 47 years, he still thinks so !

Hank Garland's (?) strident but beautiful guitar work opens it up, followed by the fabulous bass voice, before Elvis's magnificent voice hits us . Throw in the Jordanaires' fabulous "Wah, wah, wah, waaaah" during the instrumental break, and their excellent work overall, and you have a classic. The youthful (yet somehow mature) arrogance in Elvis's voice just left all competition behind. What a corker of a record - it showed Elvis's genius in updating a country ballad to match the musical excitement of the times.

I am of course talking of the "real" A Fool Such As I, prior to the criminal substitution on E1.

Steve Morse

Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:01 pm

Bjorn, great point about that "bang chord" in "Hound Dog."

For years, this became too much of an over-played tune. Like quite a few hits, I had to "rest' them to realize how good they were.

likethebike wrote:That it's noise is what makes "Hound Dog" so brilliant. IMO it's the first great white noise recording and anticipates everything from "Anarchy in the UK" to "Smells Like Teen Spirit". In its era it was probably the loudest record ever made and it basically defied every kind of mainstream pop music convention. I think L&S were just not ready for it and as proud musical parents were not ready to have their baby taken away.

They do seem a bit prouder of the Big Mama Thornton version, which is their call.

That's a great point, too, about the "white noise."

I love the weird clash of the Jordanaires and that "punk" sound. Those who trivialize the "hardness" of the '50s material for today's kids forget how much this song and others really cranked.

The candidates are way many for this thread. :lol: Great comments, people.
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:03 pm

1. hound dog - 68 version .- .
2. ill remember you - with acoustic guitars ( just like on - the holly wood elvis vol.3. dvd )
3. - polk salad annie - ttwii version .- :wink:

Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:08 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
likethebike wrote:That it's noise is what makes "Hound Dog" so brilliant. IMO it's the first great white noise recording and anticipates everything from "Anarchy in the UK" to "Smells Like Teen Spirit". In its era it was probably the loudest record ever made and it basically defied every kind of mainstream pop music convention. I think L&S were just not ready for it and as proud musical parents were not ready to have their baby taken away.

They do seem a bit prouder of the Big Mama Thornton version, which is their call.

Perhaps in 1956, less likely after they worked with, and were blown away by, Elvis in 1957. And the royalty checks from a massive, cross-the-board, #1 hit certainly had to enhance their appreciation of Elvis' recording a tiny bit.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:10 pm

Good point. Has anyone seen that great "Leiber & Stoller" documentary from a few years ago? It ran on cable in the US a few years back. I rolled videotape, thankfully. It's a must-see / have.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:14 pm

Greg -

Jerry Leiber was always a bit miffed that Elvis sang Hound Dog using some words he didn't write and leaving out some that he did !

Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:00 pm

He cranked out so many great studio recordings, that it's almost impossible to pick 30, let alone 3.

Don't,
Love Me
Heartbreak Hotel

Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:13 pm

I'd have to say that Sentimental Me ranks up there as one of Elvis' finest vocal performances.
One song I've always been quite fond of and absolutely screams "ELVIS" is Any Way You Want Me... it is truly hypnotic.
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You is also a gem...

Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:25 pm

Well, you're all preaching to the "Amen" corner with your picks but Brad, I know that some here seem to look down on those last two choices of yours.

I love 'em.

Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:26 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Well, you're all preaching to the "Amen" corner with your picks but Brad, I know that some here seem to look down on those last two choices of yours.

I love 'em.

Well then Greg, you obviously have good taste my friend!!!