All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Welcome, SPC member

Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:21 am

IMETJB wrote:It's HIS Top Ten ...

Yes, I acknowledged that.

IMETJB wrote:... why should you care if a song you dislike is someone else's favorite?

Where do I state I dislike the song?

IMETJB wrote:... we don't need anyone showing off their memory skills and naming what song is so called [sic] better purely by mouthing off record sales stats and that garbage.

Where do I name "what song is so called [sic] better" or "record sales stats"?

With only 88 posts, you should read more carefully before writing "garbage."

Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:33 am

I'm not sure I understand the ridicule and the reference made that Aloha
was a lackluster performance. Looking at the songlist as evidence there were no less
than 12 standout performances in this single concert. How many performances
from 1971 through 1977 can you say that about?

Burning Love
You Gave Me A Mountain
Steamroller Blues
My Way
Johnny B. Goode
It's Over
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
What Now My Love
Welcome To My World
I'll Remember You
American Trilogy
A Big Hunk O' Love

Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:38 am

elvis-fan, yes I agree it is a very good concert IMO!!!

8)

Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:10 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
FVH wrote:Lovesong Of The Year is actually one of my top ten favorites.

Wow! From the scores of classic recordings, that makes your top ten.

Don't worry, I won't hold it against you. There's not much of a chance I'll take your advice on buying CDs by Elvis, or anyone else, however.

No, THAT is garbage

Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:25 am

A statement of fact is not "slander," it's reality, something too many of you here have a great deal of trouble accepting.

Out of curiosity - what do you regard as "fact" in this matter?

"Love Song Of The Year" isn't even in the "top 200" of songs recorded by Elvis.

According to whom? You?!?

And thanks to those of you who are actually able to acknowledge that someone can like the damn song even if you don't.

Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:38 am

In my opinion, Aloha had some great vocal performances, but also some weaker ones , and the whole show was a bit flat, not as exciting as a normal Elvis show. I know he was under pressure with the huge worldwide audience, and he seemed to be restricting his moves, perhaps to ensure he wasn't out of breath by the end of the show, but there's no way I'd describe Aloha as a typical, exciting Elvis concert. Yes, he lost weight, but that seems to have sapped him of some of his energy, some of his sparkle, for want of a better word.

The Memphis concert, just over a year later, is a far more typical concert experience, a more exciting listen than the Aloha show, to my ears at least. He seems to be having fun, enjoying the show, and the crowd are far more animated.

Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:18 pm

IMETJB wrote:It's funny...whenever I put in the Aloha show DVD...my excitement for the show always tapers off after "Burning Love"...I usually then go to "Johnny B" then a couple ballads here and there but never turn it off without watching "Big Hunk O'Love". As everyone's been saying...the Elvis in that show isn't the Elvis that we know.

It's a shame that the show was indeed mediocre considering how much weight it carried.

I couldn't disagree more.

This, of course, is your opinion in which you entitled. My opinion is that the Aloha concert was a huge challenge that he nailed completely.

Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:41 pm

DarrylMac wrote:In my opinion, Aloha had some great vocal performances, but also some weaker ones , and the whole show was a bit flat, not as exciting as a normal Elvis show. I know he was under pressure with the huge worldwide audience, and he seemed to be restricting his moves, perhaps to ensure he wasn't out of breath by the end of the show, but there's no way I'd describe Aloha as a typical, exciting Elvis concert. Yes, he lost weight, but that seems to have sapped him of some of his energy, some of his sparkle, for want of a better word.

The Memphis concert, just over a year later, is a far more typical concert experience, a more exciting listen than the Aloha show, to my ears at least. He seems to be having fun, enjoying the show, and the crowd are far more animated.

The Aloha wasn't a typical concert for that matter, the stakes were much higher and the circumstances were different.

Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:46 pm

FVH wrote:Out of curiosity - what do you regard as "fact" in this matter?

It's a fact that placing LSOTY in a Presley top ten is so obscure that it would make one quite uncomfortable in accepting your opinion on his oeuvre in general, not to mention the work of other recording artists.

Hope this helps!

Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:54 pm

I don't ever find my self wanting to turn off "Aloha", but I do get the part about it not being an excited, animated performance like we all had come to expect from Elvis. I remember the surprise in my family when it aired in the US; we had seen two concerts during the prior year, and had tickets for a third in Phoenix only 3 weeks after the Aloha special was broadcast.

Perhaps he didn't want to give a real physical performance.... maybe he didn't feel he needed to give one.... maybe that wasn't what he was trying to get across.... who knows? I'm sure the pressure of the worldwide audience played a large part in that entire experience. It was a great performance.... it just wasn't the exciting performance that he was still capable of at that time. That seems to be what disappoints people the most.

But I know the 4-22-73 Phoenix show was great (it was on my Dad's birthday), and we all were relieved to see him animated on stage again.... "Suspicious Minds", etc. and doing a few songs that were then not familiar to us. I'm sure glad that we taped it on cassette, even if we did cut the last three songs off by accident. After we saw that show, the tame "Aloha" show just seemed like a "gee, wonder what was up with him....?" moment. I've read too of other great shows on the spring and summer '73 tours, so the spark must have been there at least a few times.

I guess at the time a lot went unnoticed, but this time period does seem to mark the acceleration of the slide downhill for Elvis.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:26 am

Hey, the people close to Big E states that he was straight during Aloha. He was not straight in Vegas or during the spring tour. My impression is that he was not straight during the rehearsal show, but he was straight when he was broadcasted worldwide. He played it safe, but the normal
Elvis show in -72 or -73 included a "speeded" Elvis, he was not speeded 730114. Maybe this is the poor explanation, beside his documented depression......

Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:39 am

samses wrote:Hey, the people close to Big E states that he was straight during Aloha. He was not straight in Vegas or during the spring tour.

The truth lies somewhere in between.

samses wrote:My impression is that he was not straight during the rehearsal show, but he was straight when he was broadcasted worldwide.

Not so.

samses wrote:... the normal Elvis show in -72 or -73 included a "speeded" Elvis, he was not speeded 730114.

Wrong on both counts.

The best explanation for Elvis' rather sedate "Aloha" performance is he was very concerned with presenting more to the world than just the image of "Elvis Presley - Hip-shaking Rock and Roll King." Thus, very little movement, and plenty of mid-tempo selections. By that standard, he succeeded.

And, let's be fair, he was as nervous as anyone might be in that position, which naturally affects how one might behave.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:02 am

Doc - that makes sense. Plus, he included some middle of the road material like "What Now My Love," "Welcome to My World" and "My Way" suggesting he was looking for even broader acceptance among older listeners. Perhaps this ties in with the toned down physicality. I think he was consciously trying to show how well rounded he was and appeal to all age groups.

It's a fascinating performance, but I'm ultimately left with the impression that there is something not quite right with him--his voice is strained and thin at times, his vibrato not as assured. The performance, regrettably, shows an artist who is not quite in command of his voice--probably a combination of increasing drug use over the course of the previous year or so--plus the depressed state he was in.

One only needs to compare his voice during this show to any during 68-70 to realize there has been a paradigm shift.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:35 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:One only needs to compare his voice during this show to any during 68-70 to realize there has been a paradigm shift.

As much as I love the Aloha performance I'll have to agree with this statement. As someone said earlier, Elvis' sounds whiny and nasally on some performances and his voice has lost that 'rawness' that it had during the '68 Comeback Special..... :( :(

Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:45 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
FVH wrote:Out of curiosity - what do you regard as "fact" in this matter?

It's a fact that placing LSOTY in a Presley top ten is so obscure that it would make one quite uncomfortable in accepting your opinion on his oeuvre in general, not to mention the work of other recording artists.

Hope this helps!

If anything, it helped me realize that I'm dealing with a person who actually believes that his (or hers...?) opinions on matters that are impossible to state as facts, are just that!
Quite scary.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:19 am

The World Wanted Elvis to come out dressed in the Black Gi Moving like Panther accross the Stage showing amazing vocal/Lung power as he did in 68/69/70,Instead we got a heavily sedated Elvis --yeah i believe he was pumped full of pills(even more than normal) simply because of the enormaty of the event.

In anycase i still dig the laid back style/classy masterfull singing on a handfull of the songs including C C Rider/Burning Love/Trilogy etc

But my friends please please realise this..68/69/70 Elvis was so damn OFF THE FREAKIN SCALE awesome Elvis could NEVER have kept to that level.

But damn the Colonel-- Oh to be able to have watched/televised (even recorded) a show like Miami 70...

Binder once commented that it really bothered him to witness all this gold/Platinum material going to waste and not being filmed. :roll:

Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:02 am

Here we go again, a "heavily sedated Elvis during Aloha," and then we have the opinion that he was "whiny and nasally," the guy nailed song after song, as Elvis-fan pointed out, "no less then 12 standout performances." I defy anybody under those circumstances, under the enormity of that pressure, live in front of a billion people on TV, perform any better and under more control. The rehearsal the night before he wasn't as nervous, the stakes weren't high, and he performed more like himself, though he made a few mistakes. We can't begin to comprehend what this man was going through nerve wise for the Aloha. Who can forget that classic scene from EOT where Elvis is waiting to go on stage before the concert and he's literally bouncing off the wall. His pre-concert jitters are now legendary as we have read in countless of books. This is a man who almost didn't make it on stage for his greatest performance ever, the 68 special. Cut him some slack for Aloha, that was the Super Bowl of concerts and under those conditions, there's nothing fancy and no room for error. I think he pulled it off magnificently as do a ton of people who made the album no.1 and the videos have sold like hot cakes all over the world, running neck and neck with the 68 special the last two years!

FrankieRider2 went and seen him 3 months later, and he was back to being his "animated self." You have to understand the Aloha, to appreciate it, it wasn't intended to be a "normal concert," just look at the setlist.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:37 pm

Yes, but even the rehearsal show was less energetic than many typical tours before. I think Elvis was just plain worn out, perfroming 100 concerts a year in Vegas, to top it off with a few or more tours. Enough to bring any one to their knees with his kind of schedule.
But i do agree, in terms of a perfect performance, except maybe songs like 'long tall sally/whole lotta shaking going on', Elvis pulled it off damn well. However, i did notice in some songs there was some kind of a slur or drag in his voice in some songs. Plus i reckon, instead of the crappy Blue suede shoes, Love me etc, these might have been some better alternate performances- Little sister/get back, Memphis Tennessee

Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:11 pm

In TTWII "Blue suede shoes" is performed brilliantly and "i get it"..

Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:25 am

If you've ever attended Elvis The Concert, you are unlikely to disagree that the power and quality of Elvis's voice in the Aloha (and other) selections is astounding.

I'll agree that Elvis looked a little tired, subdued (initially) and nervous in Aloha. But, as already mentioned by several posters, this is hardly surprising considering the enormity of the event. The only comparably nerve-racking occasion I can think of is Elton John singing at Princess Diana's funeral. He had to nail it with only one song - and he did.

For the record, I am extremely fond of Love Song Of The Year (beautiful counter-melody on the piano) and Mr. Songman (peerless harmony and a beautiful expression of how a song can whisk you back over the years). Hence my "signature", below.

Steve Morse

Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:49 am

Joe Car wrote:Here we go again, a "heavily sedated Elvis during Aloha," and then we have the opinion that he was "whiny and nasally," the guy nailed song after song, as Elvis-fan pointed out, "no less then 12 standout performances." I defy anybody under those circumstances, under the enormity of that pressure, live in front of a billion people on TV, perform any better and under more control. The rehearsal the night before he wasn't as nervous, the stakes weren't high, and he performed more like himself, though he made a few mistakes. We can't begin to comprehend what this man was going through nerve wise for the Aloha. Who can forget that classic scene from EOT where Elvis is waiting to go on stage before the concert and he's literally bouncing off the wall. His pre-concert jitters are now legendary as we have read in countless of books. This is a man who almost didn't make it on stage for his greatest performance ever, the 68 special. Cut him some slack for Aloha, that was the Super Bowl of concerts and under those conditions, there's nothing fancy and no room for error. I think he pulled it off magnificently as do a ton of people who made the album no.1 and the videos have sold like hot cakes all over the world, running neck and neck with the 68 special the last two years!

FrankieRider2 went and seen him 3 months later, and he was back to being his "animated self." You have to understand the Aloha, to appreciate it, it wasn't intended to be a "normal concert," just look at the setlist.

I agree with you completely Joe.

'Aloha' was a milestone and in my opinion Elvis' crowning moment.

It was the concert that made me a true fan when viewed on home video when originally released late 70's/early 80's.

Elvis here proved that he was more than a hip-shaking rocker and that he could sing the hell out of a song and infuse his performances with such feeling.

Let anyone stand in his place and perform to around a billion people and do such a fine job - grace, passion, style, patriotism and one hell of a voice is why 'Aloha' is still selling and will continue to do so for many years to come.

Andy

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:33 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:And, let's be fair, he was as nervous as anyone might be in that position, which naturally affects how one might behave.

People tend to forget what a big thing such a world-wide telecast was in the early 1970's.

But then if I watch the "alternate" Aloha show on an official DVD I can't give any more credit to EPE's policies to not release the CBS special.

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:49 am

Again, different horses...I much prefer the alternate Aloha performance.

I dont know if he was sedated or not during the live broadcast but he certainly was out of his bin at the press conference.

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:53 am

Eddie wrote:I dont know if he was sedated or not during the live broadcast but he certainly was out of his bin at the press conference.

"Sedated" - nice way to put it :wink: .

I too have my difficulties to believe that he was "straight" during these shows - but as the Doctor said correctly, almost everyone who was there claims that he was.

Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:21 pm

Thomas wrote:
Eddie wrote:I dont know if he was sedated or not during the live broadcast but he certainly was out of his bin at the press conference.

"Sedated" - nice way to put it :wink: .

I too have my difficulties to believe that he was "straight" during these shows - but as the Doctor said correctly, almost everyone who was there claims that he was.

For someone who is addicted to the kind of meds Elvis was on, to be "straight" would have been impossible really. He'd probably end up feeling more spaced out by not taking the pills!!

BTW I really like Love Song Of The Year and Mr Songman too!! Last time I made a top 30 Cassette (20 years ago!!) LSOTY was on it.