All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:57 am

I think you got the wrong idea Keith. The outtakes are from the recording session at Western Recorders. Not from the Burbank soundstage. That's what makes this set so mouthwatering.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:12 am

Will this be the one and only October FTD release?

Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:04 am

Tom Bruins wrote: Man, that's a long time ago ! Elvis ending "Are You Lonesome Tonight" with the line: "I gaze between your eyes".

**************************

Tom he is spoofing a line from the song, "that's my desire". It is after "are you lonesome tonight" though.

The line is from the *Buddy Holly song which should be "Ill gaze into your eyes".

For some reason he was messing with this song a bit during this time.
You can also hear a bit during the video taping of "Trouble" in the night club or disco or whereever he was supposed to be then.

* recorded by others but this is version I like the best and am more familair with.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:44 am

maybe we'll get this ftd in october and as they say rest in november...after all we are now getting used to an average of 1 FTD every month of the year arn't we!!? :roll:

Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:55 am

YDKM wrote:maybe we'll get this ftd in october and as they say rest in november...after all we are now getting used to an average of 1 FTD every month of the year arn't we!!? :roll:


I seriously hope ur not rolling ur eyes because we get too many now??

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:10 am

ekenee wrote:Tom Bruins wrote: Man, that's a long time ago ! Elvis ending "Are You Lonesome Tonight" with the line: "I gaze between your eyes".

**************************

Tom he is spoofing a line from the song, "that's my desire". It is after "are you lonesome tonight" though.

The line is from the *Buddy Holly song which should be "Ill gaze into your eyes".

For some reason he was messing with this song a bit during this time.
You can also hear a bit during the video taping of "Trouble" in the night club or disco or whereever he was supposed to be then.

* recorded by others but this is version I like the best and am more familair with.



Thanks for clearing that up.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:39 pm

Thomas > Will this be the one and only October FTD release?

EWJ claims to know the numbers already:

[FTD #38] Let Yourself Go
[FTD #39] Writing for the King

http://www.biwa.ne.jp/~presley/index1.htm

If true, then there is still the possibility of deluxe or soundtrack releases in October, which are numbered #10XY. But I wonder where they have this information from.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:11 pm

Thomas wrote:Will this be the one and only October FTD release?


Yes

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:15 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D :D.

I fully support this release 8) 8). It will be one of the best FTD releases!!. Thank you Ernst Jorgensen and Roger Semon, I canĀ“t wait :wink: :wink: :wink:. Bye for now.

Mike Windgren.


Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:32 pm

All i'm saying is that i HAVE to keep working to afford an average of 1 FTD for every month of the year!! :wink: must be harder for people like Colin unless he's rich.... well at least 'rich in music!' :roll:

Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:50 am

YDKM wrote:....must be harder for people like Colin unless he's rich.... well at least 'rich in music!' :roll:


Don't worry about me.

My ex-employer kindly transfers a generous dollop of cash into my bank account every month without fail !

It's called a pension.

Next year, the government is going to do the same !

Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:18 am

Hey Colin, I always imagined you to be about 30 ;-)

Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:10 pm

Thomas wrote:Hey Colin, I always imagined you to be about 30 ;-)


I guess that wink means you're not serious !

My 6 grandchildren at least keep me 'young-at-heart' !

Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:27 pm

ColinB wrote:
YDKM wrote:....must be harder for people like Colin unless he's rich.... well at least 'rich in music!' :roll:


Don't worry about me.

My ex-employer kindly transfers a generous dollop of cash into my bank account every month without fail !

It's called a pension.

Next year, the government is going to do the same !


Wow, you MUST be old!!

Just kidding!!

Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:19 pm

edited to avoid duplication below
Last edited by Gregory Nolan Jr. on Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:47 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
ekenee wrote:
Tom Bruins wrote:
Man, that's a long time ago ! Elvis ending "Are You Lonesome Tonight" with the line: "I gaze between your eyes".


**************************

Tom he is spoofing a line from the song, "that's my desire". It is after "are you lonesome tonight" though.

The line is from the *Buddy Holly song which should be "Ill gaze into your eyes".

For some reason he was messing with this song a bit during this time.
You can also hear a bit during the video taping of "Trouble" in the night club or disco or whereever he was supposed to be then.

* recorded by others but this is version I like the best and am more familair with.

ImageImage

This is interesting. Has this been commented on before? While Buddy Holly was in someways a rockabilly Elvis disciple, he also had a very unique talent of his own, one that went on to inspire the Beatles....

I wonder what he really thought of Buddy Holly. I always thought of him as the nerdy "anti-Elvis" in spite of his great meterial.

Growing up, whenever they'd flash back to the '50s to Buddy Holly, we'd laugh almost out load about how uncharismatic he was compared to Elvis...I grew to like him but some of that impression remains. In that way, he made the "ugly duckling' look totally the normal in rock music.


I'm pretty sure that the line Elvis sings is correct and from the song "That's My Desire," which is an old standard that had been recorded in several doo wop versions in the 1950s. In fact, I think Dion and the Belmonts recorded a version of it on one of their first singles. I'm not sure that Elvis directly thought of Buddy Holly when he sang this one at the dress rehersal.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:21 am

Elvis In Norway has posted the track list for "let Yourself Go
--------------------------------

'68 Comeback outtakes and rehearsal

The Outtakes:
Trouble/Guitar Man (opening, take 6, 7)
Nothingville (take 5, 6)
Let Yourself Go (part #1, take 5, 6 / part #2, take 2 / part #3, take 6)
Guitar Man (escape #1 - Fast, take 1, 2, 5)
Guitar Man (after karate #2, take 1)
Trouble/Guitar Man (after karate #3, take 2)
Little Egypt (take 8)
Big Boss Man (take 2)
It Hurts Me (part #1, take 5 / part #2, take 3)
Guitar Man (escape #1, [Re-make] take 6)
Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child/Where
Could I Go But To The Lord (Gospel #1, rehearsal take 1)
Up Above My Head/I Found That Light (Gospel #2, take 7)
Saved (Gospel #3, take 4)
If I Can Dream (take 3, 4)
Memories (V-N/A)
Dressing Room Rehearsal (June 24, 1968):
I Got A Woman [Platinum]
Blue Moon/Young Love/Oh, Happy Day
When It Rains, It Really Pours [Memories]
Blue Christmas
Are You Lonesome Tonight?/That's My Desire
That's When Your Heartaches Begin
Peter Gunn Theme
Love Me
When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again
Blue Christmas/Santa Claus Is Back In Town

-----------------------------

Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:21 am

are these takes of If I Can Dream previously unreleased? What was the take number of the master and the one on Platinum?

Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:23 am

how long is this version of Oh Happy Day?

Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:21 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:are these takes of If I Can Dream previously unreleased? What was the take number of the master and the one on Platinum?


We got Take 1 on Platinum.

Takes 2 & 3 are unreleased.

Take 4 was on the 1978 Album: He Walks Beside Me and the 2001 so-called 'Patriot Single'.

Take 5 was the master.

These are the studio takes, not to be confused with the 'live' vocals Elvis did in the special itself.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:24 am

"So-called 'Patriot' single" :?:

:lol: "America: Love it or leave.." I mean...you damn Brits...! :lol:


Mike C wrote:I'm pretty sure that the line Elvis sings is correct and from the song "That's My Desire," which is an old standard that had been recorded in several doo wop versions in the 1950s. In fact, I think Dion and the Belmonts recorded a version of it on one of their first singles. I'm not sure that Elvis directly thought of Buddy Holly when he sang this one at the dress rehersal.



That makes more sense, Mike. I've heard of that song "That's My Desire," and recall that it was a Pat Boone escape. It was also done by Frankie Laine, who also hit it big with "You Gave Me a Mountain" and "I Believe." :wink:

Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:32 am

It make more sense that Elvis got the song from a version by Dion?

I don't think so. He ain't using any doo wop stylings here.

As per my original post, it was recorded by many artists any one of whom Elvis could have heard it from.

I don't think there is a way of tracing this one down.

I only mentioned Buddy Holly because that is the one I am more familair with. I never said Elvis was thinking of Buddy Holly. I was.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:02 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:"So-called 'Patriot' single" :?:

:lol: "America: Love it or leave.." I mean...you damn Brits...! :lol:


Oh, dear, I didn't word that quite right, did I ?

What I meant was "that Elvis record which became known as 'The Patriot Single' although it wasn't actually called that".

Abbreviating things can alter your meaning sometimes !
Last edited by ColinB on Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:14 pm

ColinB wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:"So-called 'Patriot' single" :?:

:lol: "America: Love it or leave.." I mean...you damn Brits...! :lol:


Oh, dear, I didn't word that quite right, did I ?

What I mean't was "that Elvis record which became known as 'The Patriot Single' although it wasn't actually called that".

Abbreviating things can alter your meaning sometimes !


Colin

If you abbreviated "mean't" to "meant" it would mean so much more.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:18 pm

Spellbinder wrote:Colin

If you abbreviated "mean't" to "meant" it would mean so much more.


Corrected !

Hey, I got pulled up by Spellbinder !

There's a first time for everything !