All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:25 pm

ColinB wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:Colin

If you abbreviated "mean't" to "meant" it would mean so much more.

Corrected !

Hey, I got pulled up by Spellbinder !

There's a first time for everything !

OK - happy to oblige.

Now - one good turn deserves another. I need a website that has decent quality pics of Michael St. Gerard as Elvis so I can download them. Don't ask why - the answer would cause me unbearable embarrassment.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:32 pm

Spellbinder wrote:Now - one good turn deserves another. I need a website that has decent quality pics of Michael St. Gerard as Elvis so I can download them. Don't ask why - the answer would cause me unbearable embarrassment.

Can you believe this guy ?

He picks holes in my punctuation & then calls it 'a good turn' !

As for Michael St Gerard, Spelly, have you tried Google ?

Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:33 pm

ColinB wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:Now - one good turn deserves another. I need a website that has decent quality pics of Michael St. Gerard as Elvis so I can download them. Don't ask why - the answer would cause me unbearable embarrassment.

Can you believe this guy ?

He picks holes in my punctuation & then calls it 'a good turn' !

Yeah - NG.

Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:37 pm

Back to the original subject; the song "Oh happy day" as listed in the track listing for the October FTD, is actually "Happy day" and not the Edwin Hawkins Singers gospel song that Elvis performed in Vegas on August 14th 1970.

Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:50 am

Mike C wrote:I think it would be neat if Ersnst and Roger added the edits of "It Hurts Me" and "Let Yourself Go" from 1978's Elvis A Lgendary Performer Volume 3 to this FTD ... The only place to get these now is the 1991 CD release of Elvis' TV Special Cd.

Although some of it is unreleased, it must be said the edits on both of these are atrocious. I cannot recall who screwed these up, but it was likely a case of a tight deadline or simply sloppy editing.

Either way, it won't add much to have such poor efforts on the new FTD. As for the apparent track listing on this upcoming disc: bravo!!

June 1968 was a great time for fans of Elvis and his art.

Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:17 am

Glad to see some enthusiam for this forthcoming '69 Comeback release. I was on another site and you'd think FTD just put out an extended version of "Elvis Sing for Children...and Grown-ups, Too!"... :roll: There'lll be a day when we realize just how good we have it. These are a sort of "post-humous" golden years...They can't last forever!

When I heard those two tracks for the first time in almost 20 years when I repurchased "Legendary Performer Vol. 3" in the last year, I did notice the edits were a bit ham-handed. Still, there's something charming about each one. There's a lot of extra "oomph" and grit in each later version of "It Hurts Me" and "Let Yourself Go"....and it's great to hear them as unified tracks.

Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:35 am

I am really looking forward to this one.
Outtakes from an essential Presley recording session.
This one`s gonna be a winner.

Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:50 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Glad to see some enthusiam for this forthcoming '69 Comeback release.

You're a year too late, Greg.

Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:06 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike C wrote:I think it would be neat if Ersnst and Roger added the edits of "It Hurts Me" and "Let Yourself Go" from 1978's Elvis A Lgendary Performer Volume 3 to this FTD ... The only place to get these now is the 1991 CD release of Elvis' TV Special Cd.

Although some of it is unreleased, it must be said the edits on both of these are atrocious. I cannot recall who screwed these up, but it was likely a case of a tight deadline or simply sloppy editing.

Either way, it won't add much to have such poor efforts on the new FTD. As for the apparent track listing on this upcoming disc: bravo!!

June 1968 was a great time for fans of Elvis and his art.

Yes, the edits are bad, but for the completists' sake, I think it would be good to include. Its akin to adding a ten second alternate take of "Lawdy Miss Clawdy" where we don't hear Elvis sing.

Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:29 am

I don't think anyone would complain (too much :lol: ) if they repair such things as that stuttering edit. I'm sure a better splice can be made.

Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:56 am

Spellbinder wrote:
ColinB wrote:

Yeah - NG.

Try the fiendishly cryptic "Michael St. Gerard pictures".

I found a half dozen in about 10 seconds.

Chris

Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:46 am

Looking forward to all these new releases but I hope that in November we will also get another concert soundboard.

Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:28 pm

ChrisM wrote:
Spellbinder wrote:
ColinB wrote:

Yeah - NG.

Try the fiendishly cryptic "Michael St. Gerard pictures".

I found a half dozen in about 10 seconds.

Chris

Thanks. I just tried that but it didn't lead me anywhere I hadn't already seen. All NG. Seems strange to me there isn't a whole bucketful somewhere. Thanks anyway.

Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:59 pm

I think this release goes to show that Ernst and others at FTD do read this board and try to give the fans what they want when possible.

Below is a quote from me from a topic back in February. I'm not the only one on this board to want to have the "Western" session outtakes released, it's been discussed here by others as well.

RKSNASHVILLE wrote:
I rarely listen to the 68 Special shows now. I really would only be interested in the Western outtakes.

Hopefully FTD will release a single disc with these so we won't have to buy a BMG box set of everything we already have just to get the Western session outtakes.

The title of the thread:
'68 Comeback Special box set in 2008 or 2018?

This was posted back in February.

Thanks to Ernst for giving fans what they want.

RKS

Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:11 pm

I was killing a bit of time and came up with this.

Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:56 pm

OK so I'm a little unclear about this whole It Hurts Me and Let Yourself Go issue... were these songs not recorded complete? :oops:

Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:02 pm

ColinB wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:"So-called 'Patriot' single" :?:

:lol: "America: Love it or leave.." I mean...you damn Brits...! :lol:

Oh, dear, I didn't word that quite right, did I ?

What I meant was "that Elvis record which became known as 'The Patriot Single' although it wasn't actually called that".

Abbreviating things can alter your meaning sometimes !

Hey Colin, you mean this one? It actually says "PATRIOT" on the spine of the CD cover...

Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:46 pm

elvis-fan wrote:Hey Colin, you mean this one?
It actually says "PATRIOT" on the spine of the CD cover...

You got me bang to rights on that one !

It says 'Patriot' on the label, too !

Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:41 pm

Wildstyle,

That is an AWESOME cover!!

Great work!! FTD should hire you.

RKS

Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:05 am

elvis-fan wrote:OK so I'm a little unclear about this whole It Hurts Me and Let Yourself Go issue... were these songs not recorded complete?

Almost all of the 1968 TV Special pre-recordings at Western Studios in June were done in piecemeal fashion, a reflection of how producer/director Steve Binder planned to tape the production sequences later in the month. "Memories" and "If I Can Dream" were done all the way through, obviously.

According to the tapes, Elvis and the assembled musicians, including the full orchestra, worked very hard on these sessions, with very little joking around -- a huge contrast to what happened at Nashville's "Studio B" in January.

Re: October FTD

Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:06 am

ColinB wrote:
Mike C wrote:Follow That Dream To Delete Four CDs From Its Catalogue 8/28/2006
Follow That Dream Records has announced the first deletions from its catalogue of Elvis CDs.
...The following titles will be deleted when the remaining stock is sold: Out In Hollywood, Silver Screen Stereo, Fame And Fortune, and The Way It Was.

Pity about The Way It Was

The sales are too small to justify a reprint of the book, but I reckon a lot of fans would buy the stand-alone CD !

They should re-issue just the CD.

I personally think it will be inevitable that BMG will sooner or later make the entire FTD catalog available to online music stores, such as iTunes, especially after a large number of titles have been deleted. Record labels are slowly coming to the realization that back catalog has a much higher potential to generate sales in these types of enviroments than they do in conventional retail outlets.

I even think BMG is missing a golden opportunity by not making the entire FTD catalog available right now to online music stores. They are probably afarid to lose CD sales once such a move happens although it's pretty much evident that the increased promotion and exposure for FTD would ultimately result in an increase of overall sales, including physical products.

Sat Sep 16, 2006 4:53 pm

I'm in no hurry for that to happen for FTD's, although seeing the masters out that way makes sense for many casual listeners.

Wild: I like the cover for the "making of" the '68 comeback special...(Thanks, Rob... :oops:

Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:53 pm

the western recorders session outtakes are not the ones used on the dvd set. they are unreleased.