All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

October FTD

Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:21 pm

Let Yourself Go - The Making of "Elvis" - The Comeback Special - Release Date: October 1, 2006 8/28/2006
LET YOURSELF GO
The Making of “Elvis” – The Comeback Special

Coming October 1, 2006, this new CD combines previously unreleased outtakes from the sessions at Western Recorders, with the June 24 rehearsal at NBC (previously only available on bootleg). The Western recordings include the opening, the gospel sequence, the road sequence, Memories and If I Can Dream. Artwork and track listing are not final.

The Outtakes:

Trouble/Guitar Man opening – takes 6 & 7
Nothingville - takes 5 & 6
Let Yourself Go - part 1, takes 5 & 6 + part 2, take 2 + part 3, take 6
Guitar Man - Escape Section 1 - fast takes 1,2,5
Guitar Man -After Karate Section 2 – take 1
Trouble/Guitar Man - After Karate Section 3 – take 2
Little Egypt - take 8
Big Boss Man – take 2
It Hurts Me – First part, take 5. Second part, take 3
Guitar Man – Escape 1 (remake) – take 6
Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child/Where Could I Go But To The Lord - Gospel Section 1 - Rehearsal/take 1
Up Above My Head/I Found That Light - Gospel – Section 2, take 7
Saved - Gospel Section 3, take 4
If I Can Dream - takes 3 & 4
Memories (alternate vocal track)

The Dressing Room Rehearsal:

I Got A Woman
Blue Moon/Young Love/Oh, Happy Day
When It Rains It Really Pours
Blue Christmas
Are You Lonesome Tonight?/That's My Desire
That's When Your Heartaches Begin
Peter Gunn Theme
Love Me
When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again
Blue Christmas/Santa Claus Is Back In Town

Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:39 pm

A real surprise! The track listing looks interesting.

Re: October FTD

Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:40 pm

Magnus:

Where did you get this info? Thanks for the post!

This looks terrific!

Can't wait to hear the alternate vocal track for "Memories", and the rehearsal of "Blue Moon/Young Love/Oh, Happy Day".

Hell, can't wait to hear the whole thing :wink:

Rich

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:00 pm

Rich_TCB wrote:Magnus:

Where did you get this info? Thanks for the post!

This looks terrific!

Can't wait to hear the alternate vocal track for "Memories", and the rehearsal of "Blue Moon/Young Love/Oh, Happy Day".

Hell, can't wait to hear the whole thing :wink:

Rich

This info is posted on elvis.com in the FTD news section. They also posted 2 additional stories:

November 2006 Release Preview From FTD - Writing for the King 8/28/2006
Note from FTD about November 2006 Releases: There will be two or three extra releases in November, 2006 and one of these will be Ken Sharp’s book Writing For The King, including 125 interviews with people who wrote songs for Elvis. It will include 2 CD’es: one of Elvis’ recordings of songs by these writers, and one with demos of Elvis songs. It’s a blast!More information by October.

Follow That Dream To Delete Four CDs From Its Catalogue 8/28/2006
Follow That Dream Records has announced the first deletions from its catalogue of Elvis CDs. Here is the message from FTD producers Ernst Jorgensen and Roger Semon:

When we started FTD we thought that the interest in our releases would be limited to a 12-24 months period. We were wrong as many titles keep selling for a long time and consequently need to stay in the catalogue. However, at this time, we need to phase out certain releases, as the numbers are too small to justify the expense of reprinting. The following titles will be deleted when the remaining stock is sold: Out In Hollywood, Silver Screen Stereo, Fame And Fortune, and The Way It Was.

Looking forward to the 68 comeback disc (getting the June 24th rehersals in great quality) plus the Western Recorder outtakes. It will be nice to have alternate take 4 of "If I Can Dream" which was released by mistake on the 1978 disc "He Walks Beside Me." And, I will definitely get the Writing for the King book. I wonder if another classic album will come out at the same time, such as Pot Luck or Wild in the Country.

One other intersting thing we leaned is that the FTDs are not limited to a press run of a certain figure. They have been repressing them as needed. So, I guess that an FTD can no longer be qualified as a collectible, since some have had several pressings. And, how would one tell whether you had a first pressing? I am pretty sure all mine are since I purchased them when they came out with one two exceptions for the soundtracks.
Last edited by Mike C on Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:09 pm

Thanks for the information. Interesting to read :wink:

Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:21 pm

Great news indeed. An outtakes cd from these sessions is long over due! :D

Sincerely MB280E

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:33 pm

this is interesting i'll be playing a release like that 1968 one a LOT! and it kinda brings me back to the First FTD release years ago!!!

Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:53 am

Looks very cool.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:09 am

Wow! It just keeps on a-coming :!:

Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:20 am

Note from FTD about November 2006 Releases: There will be two or three extra releases in November, 2006

I wonder if there will be 3 releases in Oct. as has been the case recently and an additional 2-3 in November?

I guess we better "save up"! :wink:

I'm looking forward to the '68 out-takes.

RKS

Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:52 am

This should be an awesome release. The 68 material finds Elvis at an absolute peak. Way to go FTD!! I think the only Western studio outtakes so far have be a couple of tracks on TT&F. People have been clamoring for an FTD like this for years. I'm glad they listened. Thanks Ernst!!!

Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:01 am

one cd i've been asking for like crazy. i can't wait to get this one.
yes this is way overdue.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:56 am

Mike C wrote: The following titles will be deleted when the remaining stock is sold: Out In Hollywood, Silver Screen Stereo, Fame And Fortune, and The Way It Was.

With these titles being deleted... they will become the collectors items. Especially TTWIW... that is one of the best packages they have given us!

JEFF d
EP fan

Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:08 pm

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but with the deluxe soundtrack releases, none of which I have yet :oops: , How essential are Out In Hollywood / Silver Screen Stereo? Are there any takes on these CD's that haven't / won't be released on the appropriate soundtrack?

Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:14 pm

Sounds like a great release and the perfect companion to Burbank 68. FTD goes the full circle.

Andrew

Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:27 pm

YES ERNST AND CO. ARE DOING A GREAT JOB.
I THINK THIS WILL BE A GREAT ADDITION TO OUR FTD COLLECTION.

WAY TO GO.

EDDY.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:29 pm

DarrylMac wrote:Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, but with the deluxe soundtrack releases, none of which I have yet :oops: , How essential are Out In Hollywood / Silver Screen Stereo? Are there any takes on these CD's that haven't / won't be released on the appropriate soundtrack?

Yes, there are a few right now on each package, such as Elvis' vocal overdub only for (You're so Sqaure) Baby I Don't Care of OIH, as well some Wild in the Country and Live a Little, Love a Little Outtakes. There will probably be a Jailhouse Rock FTD someday, but I am not sure if we will get a special package for LIL,LAL. Of course, there are some dialouge differences and edits from the tracks on OIH and those released on the FTD sountracks, such as Night Life Take 1.

From SSS, it conatins the only alternates on some songs from G.I. Blues and Blue Hawaii, as well as another outtake of "Almost."

Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:32 pm

I think it would be neat if Ersnst and Roger added the edits of "It Hurts Me" and "Let Yourself Go" from 1978's Elvis A Lgendary Performer Volume 3 to this FTD, like they did on the Elvis Is Back and Elvis Presely Special edition FTDs. It would fit the theme perfectly.

The only place to get these now is the 1991 CD release of Elvis' TV Special Cd.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:05 pm

First of all let me say that I all ready have The Dressing Room Rehearsal. They were released on the bootleg "From Burbank To Vegas" on the "Moon" label back in 1991. Man, that's a long time ago ! Elvis ending "Are You Lonesome Tonight" with the line: "I gaze between your eyes". Lots of talking from the guys and a lot of laughing. Maybe the sound will be better now. And what about the outtakes ? Are they really new ? Can somebody tell ? Because I lost counting all those outtakes.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:07 pm

Sounds cool!

Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:44 pm

Mike C wrote:Follow That Dream To Delete Four CDs From Its Catalogue 8/28/2006
Follow That Dream Records has announced the first deletions from its catalogue of Elvis CDs.
...The following titles will be deleted when the remaining stock is sold: Out In Hollywood, Silver Screen Stereo, Fame And Fortune, and The Way It Was.

Pity about The Way It Was

The sales are too small to justify a reprint of the book, but I reckon a lot of fans would buy the stand-alone CD !

They should re-issue just the CD.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:44 pm

>Pity about The Way It Was
>The sales are too small to justify a reprint of the book, but I reckon a lot
>of fans would buy the stand-alone CD !
>They should re-issue just the CD.

That would be a reasonable thing to do. The price of the book is probably the simple reason for the too meagre sales. There are not only die-hard fans who have to have completely everything on the one side, and the Christmas Collection fraction on the other side, there are also some fans in between. Such as me, for instance.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:33 pm

I agree with Colin: The Way It Was for the music alone deserves more attention. "Ghost Riders In the Sky" is a delight, especially since they brought up his vocal, which was not audible really on the bootleg....

Silver Screen Stereo and Out In Hollywood are still great compilaitons, even if they are getting the heave-ho....

I'm looking forward to both sets but Let Yourself Go - The Making of "Elvis" - The Comeback Special is a welcome surprise. I know a few of here had been talking about those dressing room numbers recently, as that booleg hasn't been easy to find...

Good call, FTD!

Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:50 am

i think its magnificent that we are getting more QUALITY 1968 material! i mean very first excellent FTD came from the 68 special AND this completes the round of DVD and Audio releases! this will be a fantastic release cannot wait! :lol:

Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:15 am

I wonder if these tapes are taken from the "Special Edition" DVD's which to my ears sounded better than any BMG release of these out-takes ("Burbank '68" included).

I also wonder how many of you already transfered all of the audio from the DVD's to CD - I know I did! :wink:

Still looking forward to this release, it's most welcome on FTD