All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:40 pm

ColinB wrote:Then he could give us the ultimate Elvis best-selling song list on which each song is listed according to its total sales [singles, EP's and albums added together].

I guess Blue Christmas would be an obvious contender for the top spot, but some of the lower placings would be interesting to see !

Colin,

I seriously doubt that Blue Xmas would be the biggest selling. Surely songs like Don't Be Cruel, Hound Dog, It's Now or Never and other massive hits have been re-re-re-re-re-re-released on numerous albums over the years and have thus sold massive amounts. Anyway it's pretty easy to guess what the top 10 would look like but after that it might be interesting. I for one would be interested to see the detailed figures of Elvis record sales around the world.

Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:40 pm

Marko wrote:Colin,

I seriously doubt that Blue Xmas would be the biggest selling.

Ernst Jorgensen has cited this song as Elvis' biggest seller on more than one occasion.

Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:58 am

It is not realistic to quote individual tracks from albums as seperate sales and then infer some popularity of a specific track.

That would make Ito Eats a bigger hit than most of Elvis' Billboard entries!

It would also catapult Michael Jackson head and shoulders above most everyone else on the strength of Thiller :D

Clipped intro., Silent Night

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:16 am

I just received the "new" "Elvis Christmas." I can report that "Silent Night" indeed has the clipped intro.! Gotta run (back to the store) to return this defective piece of junk.

Mystery Train

Re: Clipped intro., Silent Night

Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:44 am

MysteryTrain wrote:I just received the "new" "Elvis Christmas." I can report that "Silent Night" indeed has the clipped intro.! Gotta run (back to the store) to return this defective piece of junk.

Mystery Train

You were advised it did not have the intro and still went out and bought it? That's insane...

Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:08 am

Well then, I won't be buying it.

Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:42 pm

MysteryTrain wrote:I just received the "new" "Elvis Christmas." I can report that "Silent Night" indeed has the clipped intro.! Gotta run (back to the store) to return this defective piece of junk.

Mystery Train

It's plum pitiful. :( How can they release a new album with such a glaring major defect and call it a quality release? Ridiculous!

Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:17 am

Getlo wrote:

Mystery Train

It's plum pitiful. :( How can they release a new album with such a glaring major defect and call it a quality release? Ridiculous!

Are there some theories on this? Some Christmas albums have an "Elvis' Christmas Message" voiced over the intro to "Silent night". Could that have anything to do with it? Perhaps this was spliced directly onto the original mastertape and as a result they could no longer recover the original intro from the mastertape? Splicing that back in in from a 2nd generation LP production master probably would have altered the sound.

Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:41 am

thenexte wrote:Are there some theories on this? Some Christmas albums have an "Elvis' Christmas Message" voiced over the intro to "Silent night". Could that have anything to do with it? Perhaps this was spliced directly onto the original mastertape and as a result they could no longer recover the original intro from the mastertape? Splicing that back in in from a 2nd generation LP production master probably would have altered the sound.

Yes, I reckon the spoken message is the reason for the later 'clipped' versions.

But this is surely because they're using the same 'doctored' source, not because the mastertape has been spliced ?

They couldn't be that negligent, could they ?

Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:18 pm

Hasn't Silent Night w/message existed for 30 years or more and didn't they use the mastertapes for the 50's box? They sure didn't have any problems finding the intro for that set.

Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:46 am

Pledging My Love alt take 3 and Way Down alt take 2 were used on the platinum Box set and strangely since then, Way Down alternate has never been used without a slight guitar ending from Pledging My Love - as used on the digital mix from the box set. (They mixed both tracks into each other on the box set version - it was impossible to play Way Down without hearing the guitar ending from the track used before it). What sense was being used there? No sense... or is it, nonsense!

And now with the new Christmas set, it would seem they can't be bothered searching for the original recording and now use the digital edited original with the message greeting and just clip the message! :shock: Ludicrous to think we will accept such crap. Clipped recordings shouldn't be seen to being used in 2006 - despite what BMG think of us, we ain't that stupid.

How long do we have to wait for the ultimate Christmas set featuring all digital masters and alternate takes in full? I'll start writing to Santa, but I ain't holding my breath! :(

Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:17 am

How long do we have to wait for the ultimate Christmas set featuring all digital masters and alternate takes in full? I'll start writing to Santa, but I ain't holding my breath!

Well, considering BMG is starting to issue a new Christmas compilation ever year, you might be in luck.