All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Should Elvis In Concert 1977 Be Officially Released on DVD?

YES
66%
NO
34%

Total votes : 106

Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:32 am

Thomas wrote:Funny that every two weeks someone is asking for the CBS special. Get an import ... :wink:

Why? You can easily find it on YouTube...

Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:47 am

midnightx wrote:
In 1977 most performances weren't that good but at least it was entertaining.

So watching a train wreck is entertaining? Watching an artist that was once the most mesmerizing live performer stumble, mumble and bellow around the stage is entertaining? It is very sad watching 1977 footage and seeing how badly Elvis deteriorated in such a short time.

Amen, Midnightx.

ElvisAhlgren wrote:Yes Elvis looked great in Aloha and did some great performances but the show is far from his best.

Elvis didn't look so good in Elvis On Tour but I prefer it to Aloha. The Aloha show is way overrated. As a show not as the global event and milestone in Elvis career it was.

In 1977 most performances weren't that good but at least it was entertaining. Elvis shows that he is nervous and you feel for him when tries to do his best. Watching Aloha don't give me such feelings. Elvis does what he is supposed to do nothing more, nothing less. I feel more for all the other filmed performances.

And while you're at it, Ahlgreen, check your pulse when when you watch Elvis in 1973 in Hawaii doing songs like "You Gave Me A Mountain," "It's Over", "American Trilogy, and even "Can' Help Falling In Love, among others....

There's no need to denigrate a previous era when we try to defend '77, which most all agree has it's moments. Most of us have long acknowledged the relative shortcomings of "Aloha From Hawaii."

Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:19 am

Once again I just don't get the criticisms of Elvis' performance on January 14, 1973??? Have you seen this show lately ElvisAhlgren???
This show "is way overrated"??? Compared to what???
What's not to be impressed with? THIS WAS A TELEVISION BROADCAST not an amateur 8mm that was taken without Elvis knowing...
This guy was a pro and it was never more evident than during this performance... he wasn't as loose as he would be during a regular tour show but come on now... this was the first of its kind worldwide satellite telecast... can you even begin to imagine what that must have been like for him? Even with all that he still gave stellar performances of Burning Love, You Gave Me A Mountain, Steamroller Blues, My Way, Johnny B. Goode, It's Over, I Can't Stop Loving You, What Now My Love, American Trilogy, A Big Hunk O' Love and Can't Help Falling In Love... what is overrated about this show and his performance??? I just don't see it???

Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:30 pm

As an event, it was second to none (Aloha) and it's a good concert, but he's not in the finest voice. Listen to "Something", "You Gave Me A Mountain", and many others. You can't miss the whine there and a slight lack of control. Nerves and a throat infection?

Regarding CBS, I voted no.

When I first saw the footage, there was that car crash fascination that compelled me to sit through the lot, but once I'd seen it that was enough.

This isn't hiding my head in the sand and pretending it didn't happen, it's just I don't particularly enjoy seeing my hero in such an appalling state. The transformation since Aloha (hell, even the summer of '75) is staggering.

Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:51 pm

Regarding CBS, I voted no.

When I first saw the footage, there was that car crash fascination that compelled me to sit through the lot, but once I'd seen it that was enough.

This isn't hiding my head in the sand and pretending it didn't happen, it's just I don't particularly enjoy seeing my hero in such an appalling state. The transformation since Aloha (hell, even the summer of '75) is staggering

Where is your compassion? He was in such strong voice. Have you listened to Hurt? If people saw the footage re-cut, they would be surprised at how good it really was and would wonder why so many people have a negative reaction to the footage. :roll: :smt101 -- That of course is a typical kind of reaction from fans in fantasy land with regards to the CBS footage. One viewing is enough for educational purposes. How anyone can enjoy sitting through this footage is mind-boggling.