All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Should Elvis In Concert 1977 Be Officially Released on DVD?

YES
66%
NO
34%

Total votes : 106

Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:47 am

3577 I tend to agree more with your views than the Docs. But if you don't agree with the Doc you are labeled as one of these stupid people...

drjohncarpenter wrote:Celebrated film critic Mick LaSalle has a weekly Q&A column which is always enjoyable. This Sunday past, I was struck by one of his replies, as the type of person he describes in the answer below is an uncanny description of some members of this MB. Pertinent portions have been placed in bold.

Dear Mick: What is it with these people who write to you, in effect, "I haven't seen the film, but how dare you trash it?" Have people's perceptions sunk so low that they are unaware that Hollywood has become better than ever in the brainless rubbish department? I see a great difference between the simply dumb, innocuous, generic movies of the past and the proudly, transcendently stupid products on the screen nowadays.

James Pendergast, Sonoma

Dear James: Stupidity used to be something to be embarrassed about. But we're going through a phase of stupid pride right now, and it pervades many aspects of our cultural life. People in power, with access to the media, have stumbled onto a great truth: Stupid people long to feel good about themselves. They want to be told that what they secretly suspect is true: that they're the ones who comprehend the big picture, while the supposedly intelligent folks are just nitpickers bogged down in meaningless detail. Since the stupid can't see the nuances, they prefer to believe those nuances just aren't there. That's why, for example, every stupid critic's favorite reference is "The Emperor's New Clothes." For the complacently stupid, that's the height of aspiration, to see and think like a child, a state they sentimentalize as clarity and virtue.

We see this in movies. We also see this in politics and religion. Appeals to reason are distrusted and discounted. Appeals to emotion and invitations not to think rule the day. Fifty years ago, the most famous television preacher was Bishop Fulton Sheen, a highly orthodox Catholic who, nonetheless, offered complicated Aristotelian proofs of God's existence and who insisted that thought, study and rationality were intrinsic parts of a religious life. Today, TV preachers say what politicians say: "Don't think, just listen to me, and you'll be saved. You'll be virtuous." The good news, sort of, is that eventually stupid pride produces situations so untenable that reality becomes undeniable. In the movie business, reality presents itself at the box office, and in a democracy, it's usually at the ballot box. But in Berlin, 1945, it didn't quite sink in until people were knee-deep in rubble. In any case, this delightful phase we're in will end, sooner or later, one way or the other.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... IM3GU1.DTL

Somehow, it's reassuring to know this MB is not an anomaly.

God bless!

But I know your not. Some just think they are above others and only there opinion matters. Stupid is a stupid does... (or something like that)!!! :wink:

:lol:

Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:29 am

Well.........now we are to believe that anyone who wants this released is intellectually backward??

Let's dig a bit into that proposition, shall we??

Those who propose that EBE (Elvis Beaulieu Enterprises) is correct to withhold EIC cite a few reasons consistently..........let's test their intellectual merit.

So, EIC would damage Elvis' image and set back the artistic reclamation project 15 years, eh??

That may well have had some merit at one time........but that time is long past.

Psssssssst.............c'mere. Lean in real close so you can hear. I'll remain as monosyllabic (ooops......sorry) as possible.

THE PUBLIC HAS ALREADY SEEN IT!!!!! In EPE related projects no less. Repeatedly. Incessantly. It is an enduring and indelible image that the ongoing censorship has failed to erase.

As for damaging Elvis' reputation..........please. EBE's policies to date as to the manner, quality, and integrity of their releases both musically and in merchandise render this argument ridiculous.

The damn ducks, wastebaskets, comforters, faux foreheads, cheap knockoff sunglasses, paste-on sideburns, jumpsuits, compilations,$4.99 Wal Mart bargain bin movie releases etc, etc, etc, ad nauseum, have done far more to damage and sully his artistic reputation than anything Albert Goldman's fevered mind could envision. Give it a rest.

Also..........another tidbit....... 15 years of artistic reclamation have done NOTHING to wipe the images of an overweight, medicated, jumpsuit clad icon from the public imagination. 15 more years.......or 30........or 50.......will not accomplish it either.

Do you folks read anything beside "The Man And His Music"??? For goodness sake, can any of you point to a decline in the image indelibly imprinted all those years ago?? Has the censorship suddenly made the GP think that EP was 175 pounds and arrow-straight when he died??

What the hell makes you think that 50 years more will accomplish what EBE revisionism hasn't been able to accomplish thus far nearly 30 years post-mortem??

And don't trot out that old glue horse of "Well, he's being taken seriously as an artist now" and try to tell me it's a thoroughbred. The two points, as anyone with a modicum of common sense could tell you, are mutually exclusive (as history attests).

Today Elvis is indeed being taken more seriously as an artist...........the misapprehension some here labor under though, is that the elevation of Elvis as an artist will necessarily and reciprocally diminish what the GP ALREADY KNOWS.

Well then........please point out to the members of this MB how Elvis' artistic reclamation has diminished the perception of how his life ended.

Tic Toc Tic Toc..........DING!!!!!! Time's up.........

It's an indelible impression. It's not going away. The reclamation's only possible and realistic goal must be to put the sad end INTO CONTEXT. It CANNOT wipe out the facts of history. All it can do is attempt to acheive balance. Anyone who thinks (and I use that word loosely here) otherwise is tilting at windmills.

Tell me...........have the recent books and documentaries delving seriously into the accomplishments and travails of JFK done anything to ameliorate the indelible impression of how he died?? No..........they give balance, yet they have done nothing to erase the jarring images of his last day. He is now taken more seriously as a President, so that the ONLY image isn't of the events of Dealy Plaza. But they HAVE NOT erased those images. Indeed they CANNOT. And Elvis' is an exact corrollary.

The supposition that public perception is a see-saw tottering upon a fulcrum comprised of carefully managed information is ludicrous. When one end of the see-saw elevates (artistic integrity), the other end (embedded image of last years) does not automatically decline correspondingly like a see-saw.

The idea that if we flood the market with Elvis in '68 we will correspondingly diminish the images of him in '77 is patently stupid.

The fact that the GP now takes Elvis more seriously than at any time in his career has done NOTHING to erase the perception surrounding his last years. Why not, if the theory subscribed to by EPE and some on this MB is valid?? We've had nothing but Elvis '55-'73 for AGES, yet the images of Elvis from '76-'77 are still virtually everywhere right alongside them.

If this was an actual scientific theory, it would have been abandoned a very long time ago. It's been an abysmal failure.

The true aim can only realistically be balance and context..........the idea some here cling to that public perception works like a see-saw is particularly an apt descriptive in one way, though..........it, like a see-saw, is decidedly childish and belongs in the realm of the fiction of the Brothers Grimm. Nice bedtime stories, but devoid of rationality.

As for the issue of profitability, I dare say the clamor for EIC dwarfs the clamor (such as there was) for either Aloha or '68.

These shows had already been released in several formats and edits over the years. There was no huge groundswell of agitation and demand for these new products. No endless petitions or badgering. When we heard of their plans, we were naturally thrilled, but they were not a product of incessant unrelenting demand.

For those who question this inarguable fact, simply do a search of FECC archives and tell me how many Aloha or '68 threads were there begging, pleading, demanding their release in the years before the projects were undertaken. Now..........repeat that search and tell me how many threads over the years have begged for, pled for, demanded EIC.

EIC has been agitated over and demanded for YEARS. That demand has never abated, it has never ceased. Neither Aloha nor '68 had anything near this sort of impassioned advocacy over such a large majority of the fanbase.

Anyone on the other side of the issue with any degree of intellectual honesty must admit that there is no comparison. The demand is there......the sales will follow. Hell, I had Aloha and '68 in a couple of formats EACH before I laid out cash for the new ones. Many have not as yet picked up the sets because they have them as well.........in much better sound/picture than any EIC boot we have ever seen.No one has EIC in anything of comparable quality. That in itself is powerful incentive to buy.......and buy they will. This latest thread in an unending succession of threads clamoring for their release is testament to that fact.

I am not a fan of book burning (unless the name Goldman appears on the spine), I'm not a fan of revisionist history, I'm not a fan of censorship, and I haven't been a fan of see-saws or fairytales in an awfully long time.

I've yet to hear an argument against the release of EIC that can stand up to rationality. And, after this umpteenth thread, I still haven't.

Just the usual irrational fears, coupled with the shallow hope that someday everyone will forget what they can see freely (Elvis post '73) virtually everywhere they turn ......... if only we are careful to whisper about the truth only among ourselves alone.

Shhhhhhhhhhh.........if we don't acknowledge it, it will go away...... like the monsters in the closet when we buried our heads under our pillows as kids.

It's ridiculous.

Even without the EPE releases of this material, the image they are trying so hard to erase is out there in so many mediums that their efforts are as effective as the Iraqi Information Minister during the Gulf War.

Remember him??? The guy who used to trot out in front of the dupes at CNN and proclaim confidently that the "infidels" had been repelled, and that Baghdad was not under assault...........while the cameras showed the city in flames amidst billowing clouds of smoke behind him??

Here's a hint for you EPE...........you can trot out before the cameras and assure us that Elvis died in January of 1973. You can refuse to let the footage that proves otherwise see the light of day.

But,there behind your back........in plain view of everyone watching......the screen is filled with images from sources you can't control or censor.And the fact that they are playing all around you while you insist that they aren't there simply makes you look foolish.

The Brothers Grimm's fertile imaginations never concocted a scenario so utterly stripped of reality.
Last edited by Scatter on Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:40 am

Great post Scatter. Some great points in there.

8)

Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:35 am

From elvisnews.com.

Do you feel the CBS 77 tapes should be released by EPE? ((Question from Cory)

Joe [Tunzi]: Yes, absolutely the Estate should release “Elvis In Concert.” Elvis only did three television specials. Why should the Estate deny the fans the material or for that matter try as much as they may to eliminate something from the public consciousness so as to make it that it didn’t ever happen. If any person from the media wanted to know about “Elvis In Concert” all they would have to do is search the internet to read about it. Also, in this day and age the media is more concerned with other agendas as opposed to Elvis’ appearance during “Elvis In Concert.” How the “Elvis In Concert” material is presented is another question. It doesn’t have to be both shows complete. It could be a DVD that contains the best of the ‘77 material.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:50 pm

Kuenzer wrote:From elvisnews.com.

Do you feel the CBS 77 tapes should be released by EPE? ((Question from Cory)

Joe [Tunzi]: Yes, absolutely the Estate should release “Elvis In Concert.” Elvis only did three television specials. Why should the Estate deny the fans the material or for that matter try as much as they may to eliminate something from the public consciousness so as to make it that it didn’t ever happen. If any person from the media wanted to know about “Elvis In Concert” all they would have to do is search the internet to read about it. Also, in this day and age the media is more concerned with other agendas as opposed to Elvis’ appearance during “Elvis In Concert.” How the “Elvis In Concert” material is presented is another question. It doesn’t have to be both shows complete. It could be a DVD that contains the best of the ‘77 material.

A man of some intelligence......

Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:04 pm

At last, some wise words.

Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:03 pm

Has anyone really watched this footage lately? Elvis looks atrocious. It isn't simply about weight. After a couple tracks, he starts sweating profusely, the make-up starts running and the thinning hair goes out of whack - the visuals are brutal. So what, he performs a few tracks adequately. Why would EPE ever officially issue this material? What purpose would it serve? It isn't about simply protecting Elvis' artistic reputation; the performances aren't that good to say the least. Releasing it for the sake of completeness isn't a good reason.

Tunzi is a hardcore fan. He wants the material released no matter how much it doesn't make any artistic sense.

Now watch everyone start raving how great it would be to re-edit the special. And of course, a bonus disc of both complete shows unedited with backstage footage would be a necessity! :smt035

Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:55 am

I think it should be released only to people who can prove they are Elvis fans. Then those people would only be able to get the dvd's from one source and they would have to sign a contract promising not to show any of the footage to a non Elvis fan. If anyone ever heard or saw in print phrases like "Elvis really looked bad" or "Boy, Elvis really went down hill" or "Man he was fat" then all copies that were distributed would be confiscated and burned.

Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:10 am

midnightx wrote:Has anyone really watched this footage lately? Elvis looks atrocious. It isn't simply about weight. After a couple tracks, he starts sweating profusely, the make-up starts running and the thinning hair goes out of whack - the visuals are brutal. So what, he performs a few tracks adequately. Why would EPE ever officially issue this material? What purpose would it serve? It isn't about simply protecting Elvis' artistic reputation; the performances aren't that good to say the least. Releasing it for the sake of completeness isn't a good reason.

Tunzi is a hardcore fan. He wants the material released no matter how much it doesn't make any artistic sense.

Now watch everyone start raving how great it would be to re-edit the special. And of course, a bonus disc of both complete shows unedited with backstage footage would be a necessity! :smt035

Well said, Midnightx, although I'm more partial to the special in many ways, although anyone who doesn't think it isn't heartbreaking I have to wonder about....

And are we still talking about this DOA proprosal? Why, because Tunzi said something? I like the guy's work, but let's face it: he's also a capitalist. Okay, a businessman as well as a fan. Who else could make a (good) book about "Charro," for crying out loud? Of course, he'd come after EIC, as well.

Enjoy your bootlegs of the CBS tapes, folks. I do, from time to time.

Frankly, there's a whole sea of better concerts and footage that is still surfacing. Let's not obsess over the melacholy / heroic/ painful/ powerful / pathetic/ perfect final send-off.

With all due respect, this topic is getting really played out as it's clear the final special divides fans and remains controversial footage.

Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:41 am

I think it should be released only to people who can prove they are Elvis fans. Then those people would only be able to get the dvd's from one source and they would have to sign a contract promising not to show any of the footage to a non Elvis fan. If anyone ever heard or saw in print phrases like "Elvis really looked bad" or "Boy, Elvis really went down hill" or "Man he was fat" then all copies that were distributed would be confiscated and burned.

You are kidding, right?? :smt101

Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:49 am

midnightx wrote:Has anyone really watched this footage lately? Elvis looks atrocious.

That is strong, but I will agree he looks worse than he ever has

It isn't simply about weight. After a couple tracks, he starts sweating profusely, the make-up starts running and the thinning hair goes out of whack

Thinning hair? I am afraid that remark does not hold water. Elvis had enough problems at this time without adding more fuel to the fire.

Thinning hair...

42 year old man with an incredible head of hair....

Somebody had been passing around those poopy stained glasses

My opinion is that this dvd should be released through FTD or some other collectors club. No need for the general public to view this. We are trying to build our guy up. If I had my way the public would not see any photographic material from 77 at all.
Last edited by Blue-Gypsy on Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Should Elvis in Concert be released

Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:17 am

As a fan for 50 years now - I say NO..........I can definitely listen to the material of '77 but I never want to watch it......I have all the bootleg material of Elvis in Concert and I NEVER can bring myself to watch it again.......I watched it once and that was enough............it's just too sad to seeing Elvis like that...........if it were released and then shown on TV we Elvis fans would never hear the end of the "fat" Elvis jokes and rude remarks......people can be so cruel......let the music flow but leave the video in the can................

YES

Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:41 am

I voted yes.. but i say no...
because, being a little sarcastic... I say that they WILL release it one day, as EVERYTHING Elvis should be released... BUT they'll screw up as they screwed up the 68 Comeback (3 times) and Aloha (twice).
Let me guess:
They'll release it in 2007 (30th anniversary) BUT they'll be bits missing... hehehe
wanna bet?

Besides, it means very little to them what we want.. they release what THEY want if they think it will make them money, money, money...
Otherwise, why haven't they released Elvis on Tour, region 1?
And the "fat Elvis" jokes? We've heard them all... People have seen Elvis in June 77, it was on The Great Performances DVD... let's show to them that no matter what he looked like, he could still sing. That's the important thing. Elvis was a SINGER, not a top model!!! (Pavarotti would never be on DVD if it was for his looks, come on)

Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:36 pm

OK we've only discussed this about a million times and my opinion still hasn't
changed... FTD was created for collector's and should be used for both an audio (re-release) and
DVD release of "the best" from both shows. I really don't understand why FTD hasn't at least
re-released the audio from the Rapid City show...

Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:51 pm

Yeah I want the audio released on FTD. Then we could expect better bootleg DVD:s of the CBS tapes. Like it is now Elvis looks like s--t and sounds like s--t too. And this goes for all the songs. But at least it's different from that boring Aloha show.

But on the Anthology we will probably be given Hurt and Unchained Melody. This Is Elvis will have My Way and Love Me so that will probably be it. Perhaps I Really Don't Want To know that was on that DVD a few years ago (in 2000 at least) in Graceland could also be released...

Then when these have been remastered and released they could take those and add a couple of songs and release a 30 minute DVD of Elvis in 1977. The idea would be to sell it several times and justify release since the reason for not releasing it surely must be that they cannot sell it.

Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:16 pm

I say that they WILL release it one day, as EVERYTHING Elvis should be released...

Everything should be released? Highly unlikely.

I really don't understand why FTD hasn't at least
re-released the audio from the Rapid City show...

It seems like a reasonable scenerio. A lot of fans want more material from 77 released and they have the multitracks for this show, which was actually one of the better shows from 1977.

Maybe FTD can secure the rights for some footage and release the audio of the complete Rapid City show on one disc with maybe 15-25 minutes of the best footage as a bonus DVD on a second disc. But anyone dreaming of having 3 hours of footage containing the original broadcast, backstage footage and both the Omaha & Rapid City shows from FTD or EPE is living in fantasy land.

Like it is now Elvis looks like s--t and sounds like s--t too. And this goes for all the songs.

And that is how it will always be; an officially issued version will not change that reality.

Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:50 pm

i live in hope that 1 day it will see a release through ftd or epe lets face it the vaults are getting empted slowly and sooner or later it will be just soundboards we will be getting so if possible it would be nice to get the odd dvd in between the soundboards :D

jess

Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:12 am

That is hard to say i say it back in 1977 when it was on tv and for several years i tried to get a copy and a few years ago i got a hold of a copy.

My view of the show had change back in 77 i thouht that this is the last time anyone would ever see Elvis again in concert and when i got to see it 23 years latter i could see how Elvis looked yes he was overweight and he did not look his best but his voice was still there.

I say this if they do release the concert it should be done though FTD then only the fans that want to watch it can

Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:54 am

I would like EPE to release it and everyone who likes to see it could pick it up, and those who do not wanne see it should leave it on the shelf.

I remember seeing Elvis in Concert when I was a kid back in 1977 and I just loved it. My thoughts have been changed over the years, but the bad picture-quality of the material around don't do any good to the shows and the way Elvis looks.

and Scatter; great post..! I totally agree.

Re: .

Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:58 am

Blue-Gypsy wrote:
midnightx wrote:Has anyone really watched this footage lately? Elvis looks atrocious.

That is strong, but I will agree he looks worse than he ever has

It isn't simply about weight. After a couple tracks, he starts sweating profusely, the make-up starts running and the thinning hair goes out of whack

Thinning hair? I am afraid that remark does not hold water. Elvis had enough problems at this time without adding more fuel to the fire.

Technically, he did have thinning hair on his crown, but the effect was small.

Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:01 am

ElvisAhlgren wrote: But at least it's different from that boring Aloha show.

:roll:

"Boring"? Do you hear yourself? How jaded we become...!

With time I've come to see why "Aloha" wasn't the all-out triumph I long remembered it as, but that said, do you honestly think he looked better than he did in '73 or performed better, outside of several significant songs (also not performed in '73)?

There's not comparison to "Aloha" , outside of steller performances like "Hurt," "I Really Don't Want To Know," "Trying to Get To You," and maybe a few others.

Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:35 am

I think this should be released a.s.a.p. 8)
What if Elvis looked the way he was at that time.
I'm a big Elvis fan and i don't care how he looks like.

Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:36 am

Do I think that the CBS special should be made available to hardcore fans? - Yes.

Do I think they should release it to the broad public? - No.

Do I think the broad public could appreciate anything? - No. (Besides hip hop caps, gold chains and the newest **MoThaFUCKa+ Album)

Am I bored of this question? - Yes.

Am I crazy like H.M. Murdock? - Yes.

Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:37 pm

Yes Elvis looked great in Aloha and did some great performances but the show is far from his best.

Elvis didn't look so good in Elvis On Tour but I prefer it to Aloha. The Aloha show is way overrated. As a show not as the global event and milestone in Elvis career it was.

In 1977 most performances weren't that good but at least it was entertaining. Elvis shows that he is nervous and you feel for him when tries to do his best. Watching Aloha don't give me such feelings. Elvis does what he is supposed to do nothing more, nothing less. I feel more for all the other filmed performances.

Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:53 pm

In 1977 most performances weren't that good but at least it was entertaining.

So watching a train wreck is entertaining? Watching an artist that was once the most mesmerizing live performer stumble, mumble and bellow around the stage is entertaining? It is very sad watching 1977 footage and seeing how badly Elvis deteriorated in such a short time.