All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Should Elvis In Concert 1977 Be Officially Released on DVD?

YES
70
66%
NO
36
34%
 
Total votes : 106

Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:17 am

Steve_M wrote:give me All the EOT stuff, all the TTWII stuff and def gimme all the footage from the 1969 engagement looooooong before EIC.
:smt023

Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:58 am

Steve_M wrote:
give me All the EOT stuff, all the TTWII stuff and def gimme all the footage from the 1969 engagement looooooong before EIC

Most of the TTWII and On Tour stuff is out there on import already - why not be satisfied with them or do you want it in pristine quality just as many do for 'In Concert '77'? :?

Andy

Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:09 am

I've seen the poor out takes of On tour and TTWII and that "sample" we've been given is enough for me to know I'd like to see that and any other in pristine quality.

I've seen the poor out takes of EIC and that "sample" we've been given is enough for me to know I'd not like to see that and any other in pristine quality.

It goes one step further than that in that example. The official DVD snippets on various releases we've seen are far worse to look at. I dont want to see Elvis with a line on his neck where the hint of green make up ends after his scarf pulling has rubbed it away and the "greeness" in general that those have placed upon the footage having been given the task of digitising it has ruined it forver. The color saturation is way too high and looks sickly to say the least. So those samples that are not out takes also make me know i wouldn't want to see it officially released.

So far those that are in power to sanction this release agree with me 100%.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:10 am

Steve_M wrote: So far those that are in power to sanction this release agree with me 100%.


I didn't think it was 100% as they talk at length about the pro's and cons. If it were 100% there would be no discussion. JMO !!!

Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:55 am

Rob wrote:I've added my opinion on this many times before, so I refuse to do it again. As a matter of fact, I'm not even going to post a reply on this thread because I don't want it to come back to the top.


Haha...I don't know if you were trying to be funny, Rob, but that was good. :lol:

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:29 am

Someone crafted a brilliant response to this on another topic -- wait, that was me.

"Fact: there is a tremendous amount of unseen material from 1955 to 1975 on film and video "of far greater cultural/historic/musical value" than the tragedy caught by the CBS cameras in June, 1977.

To cry out for the latter before we've had a chance to enjoy the former is indeed selfish, not to mention short-sighted and just plain ignorant. But then, there are obviously plenty of Elvis fans who fit that description."

And that's the way it is.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:06 am

Elvis In Concert could be done better, indeed. There is a release from a label called Star named "Love Coming Down" where the footage is synced with the EIC soundtrack released by Sony/BMG. Even with the relatively bad picture quality the impression of the footage is a lot better than on the original outtakes. When I first saw "Love Coming Down" I just thought that Elvis - even in Omaha - wasn't as bad as I thought. Just because the sound was so much better. I guess if I had seen this dvd with a crystal clear picture and dolby digital 5.1 it would have blown me away. Even if Elvis was fat and out of shape: He surely could sing! I think FTD should release a dvd. I cannot understand why everybody else seems to be able to release properly pressed dvds in small figures on the import market and FTD shouldn't be able to make money out of the product.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:56 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Someone crafted a brilliant response to this on another topic -- wait, that was me.

"Fact: there is a tremendous amount of unseen material from 1955 to 1975 on film and video "of far greater cultural/historic/musical value" than the tragedy caught by the CBS cameras in June, 1977.

To cry out for the latter before we've had a chance to enjoy the former is indeed selfish, not to mention short-sighted and just plain ignorant. But then, there are obviously plenty of Elvis fans who fit that description."

And that's the way it is.


Thats your opinion John Boy......but thankfully you are in the minority. :wink:

BTW, I don't think anyone has stated a date they want the '77 material release, so how you can say, "To cry out for the latter before we've had a chance to enjoy the former is indeed selfish".......I'd say if we conducted a poll, all we 'ignorant' fans would like to see EOT SE, for example, released before the '77 material................NURSE!

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:11 pm

I have no doubt that this has already been discussed in EPE.
Well, it is their last remaining "major" unreleased footage of Elvis to make money from.

I do think it should be released - but I think the question/s should be

a) Should EIC be released to the general public?
My answer would be NO.

b) Should EIC be released as a FTD DVD?
My answer would be YES.

Of course I would like to see a re-edit rather than what we already have.

And August 1974 Opening Night, 1976 New Year's Eve etc would be even better shows to have as upgraded releases.

So I didn't vote on this thread's question.

Cheers
Piers

Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:49 pm

Quite a lot has been released that is worse than EIC - trivial films with reluctantly sung songs. And in Paradise, Hawaiian Style he was not exactly slim either.

So why not release this TV special, in which he was overweight but sang with commitment. If weight is the measure stick to decide whether singers may appear on screen, there would be no Pavarotti on TV any more.

Moreover, the decision back in, I think, October 1977 was: let's air the special. Elvis himself, always conscious of his looks, did not oppose either, and he could have vetoed right after the filming of the shows. What aspect has changed ever since?

So: yes.

Until then, we can listen to the EIC CD, which one can buy in every shop.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:00 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Someone crafted a brilliant response to this on another topic -- wait, that was me.

"Fact: there is a tremendous amount of unseen material from 1955 to 1975 on film and video "of far greater cultural/historic/musical value" than the tragedy caught by the CBS cameras in June, 1977.

To cry out for the latter before we've had a chance to enjoy the former is indeed selfish, not to mention short-sighted and just plain ignorant. But then, there are obviously plenty of Elvis fans who fit that description."

And that's the way it is.


You said it correctly: ''....................plenty of Elvis fans..............''.

Youre not one of them. And dont overreact, fool, with youre ''tragedy''. You sound like an old lady who cant see E in that ''heartbreaking'' condition. ''Oh my God he looks terrible''. Need a tissue, Doc?

Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:17 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:"Fact: there is a tremendous amount of unseen material from 1955 to 1975 on film and video "of far greater cultural/historic/musical value" than the tragedy caught by the CBS cameras in June, 1977.

My thoughts precisely.

But given the excellent quality in which the CBS footage is still available somewhere, it is understandable that more and more fans ask for its release.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:33 pm

PiersEIN wrote:Of course I would like to see a re-edit rather than what we already have.


Well, if it is to be a "collectors' only" type of release, they should give us the complete Omaha and Rapid City performances, complete with all the backstage stuff !

Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:08 pm

ColinB wrote:
PiersEIN wrote:Of course I would like to see a re-edit rather than what we already have.


Well, if it is to be a "collectors' only" type of release, they should give us the complete Omaha and Rapid City performances, complete with all the backstage stuff !


Precisely Colin........I don't care to see it released to the GP (though the handwringing and pantywetting over the supposed outcry is hysterical) when we have FTD.

But if FTD does do it...........put it all in there.

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:20 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Someone crafted a brilliant response to this on another topic -- wait, that was me.

"Fact: there is a tremendous amount of unseen material from 1955 to 1975 on film and video "of far greater cultural/historic/musical value" than the tragedy caught by the CBS cameras in June, 1977.

To cry out for the latter before we've had a chance to enjoy the former is indeed selfish, not to mention short-sighted and just plain ignorant. But then, there are obviously plenty of Elvis fans who fit that description."

And that's the way it is.


You keep saying this Doc, but what other material is there...what other concerts have not been released on video or DVD. Sure an update and extension of Elvis On Tour would be welcome.....but we we have a lack of available material.

Apart from 50's TV shows. What other concert is in the can and not released?

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:33 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:"Fact: there is a tremendous amount of unseen material from 1955 to 1975 on film and video "of far greater cultural/historic/musical value" than the tragedy caught by the CBS cameras in June, 1977.


Just do it, all of it

Mon Aug 28, 2006 4:23 pm

I bought a few tapes with the 68 special several years before we got the DVD box. I watched the tapes maybe 2 times. I watch the material on my new DVDs all the time it seems. Somehow it gets much better when you can see and hear Elvis. Or was that 68 special really bad as it seemed when I wathed those crappy 4:th generation VHS tapes ? Maybe it was but I like it anyway and keep watching the DVDs.

I don't watch the '77 material often but it is more often than I watched the '68 comeback tapes. Would I want to watch it on high quality DVD instead?? Hmm let's see... I would be able to make out his face instead of watching that red/green mess on my screen, I would also be able hear him and the band much better, it would be surround sound instead of that audience recording like noisetrack I try to enjoy now. Well that's a tough question indeed... Ah what the heck I say gimme that DVD NOW!!!

Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:28 pm

PiersEIN wrote:I do think it should be released - but I think the question/s should be

a) Should EIC be released to the general public?
My answer would be NO.

b) Should EIC be released as a FTD DVD?
My answer would be YES.


I agree 100%.

Any DVD package of the '77 CBS material, should only be as a "collector's only" / FTD type release.

...a DVD release to regular retail stores? NO WAY IN HELL.

Rich

Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:18 am

KiwiAlan wrote:... what other material is there...what other concerts have not been released on video or DVD.

I'll let you know as soon as I return from Cuba.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:27 pm

Rich_TCB wrote:
PiersEIN wrote:I do think it should be released - but I think the question/s should be

a) Should EIC be released to the general public?
My answer would be NO.

b) Should EIC be released as a FTD DVD?
My answer would be YES.


I agree 100%.

Any DVD package of the '77 CBS material, should only be as a "collector's only" / FTD type release.

...a DVD release to regular retail stores? NO WAY IN HELL.

Rich


But with limited returns from a limited release the package would have an sp too high for most - many would just bum a copy from someone else - and thus the idea is knocked on the head from that angle.

Unless you all wanna pay in advance for an item that would not have a release date but would be pressed and despatched once enough people had paid up front for it. Any overages paid would be refunded to each customer at the time of despatch.

So if an sp of £150 was the starter based on x amount of people, say 5000, and 10000 people paid up front then without getting to tricky on proportions everyone would be set the DVD set with $75 refunded.

If it took 2 years to get 5000 people to send $150 then that's how long each person paying would have to wait.

Personally I prefer that idea that people should wait 2 years for it that have paid because then they are less inclined to burn a copy for others straight away.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:03 pm

Steve_M wrote:
Rich_TCB wrote:
PiersEIN wrote:I do think it should be released - but I think the question/s should be

a) Should EIC be released to the general public?
My answer would be NO.

b) Should EIC be released as a FTD DVD?
My answer would be YES.


I agree 100%.

Any DVD package of the '77 CBS material, should only be as a "collector's only" / FTD type release.

...a DVD release to regular retail stores? NO WAY IN HELL.

Rich


But with limited returns from a limited release the package would have an sp too high for most - many would just bum a copy from someone else - and thus the idea is knocked on the head from that angle.

Unless you all wanna pay in advance for an item that would not have a release date but would be pressed and despatched once enough people had paid up front for it. Any overages paid would be refunded to each customer at the time of despatch.

So if an sp of £150 was the starter based on x amount of people, say 5000, and 10000 people paid up front then without getting to tricky on proportions everyone would be set the DVD set with $75 refunded.

If it took 2 years to get 5000 people to send $150 then that's how long each person paying would have to wait.

Personally I prefer that idea that people should wait 2 years for it that have paid because then they are less inclined to burn a copy for others straight away.


Of course this idea :roll: is never going to happen.

Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:13 pm

From a purely buisness point of view this is the only way it could work - but if it wont happen then you've declared we'll never get it.

We've had releases in the past on FTD where people have paid up front for a release and there's been delays caused for various reasons and people haven't had a problem in waiting to get what they've already paid for.
It wont happen is strange when it very much does happen.
The only thing here is that people have got to be prepared to lose the money for a period of time. There would need to be a cut off point of maybe 3 years or whatever where all monies less a handling fee of $10 are refunded.
I'd go as far as saying its not a genuine FTD release unless it goes past the official release date.

We need to adjust our way of thinking and think along these lines or any way that's "outside the box" if we want to influence getting this sort of thing released. This may not be a preferred route by either side but it might spark another idea from other quarters.

It might also be how owners of other material that's unreleased can see a way of making a release work. Many fear that copies will be made and a low return on sales thedse days and so are put off lettng their long term investment out into the public domain, but if they can see a way of guaranteeing the income then they might think differently.

What idea did you come up with 3577 ?

Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:18 pm

Unfortunately we'll never get it. But a man may have hopes.

My idea is simple. Release it for Joe Public. Sale it through stores. Why do so difficult? I mean really, ive said it before, the image-thing is nonsense.

Realize, its totally new for the public. How much more re-releases do we need from Aloha and 68 Comeback in the future? However, i would prefer EOT. For Elvis standards, he's not that good-looking as well during EOT. Nobody is complianing or do have fear about that. (new-build image might collapse)

Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:47 pm

3577 wrote:My idea is simple. Release it for Joe Public. Sale [sic] it through stores. Why do [sic] so difficult? I mean really, ive [sic] said it before, the image-thing is nonsense ... For Elvis standards, he's not that good-looking as well [sic] during EOT. Nobody is complianing [sic] or do [sic] have fear about that. (new-build [sic] image might collapse)

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/v ... hp?t=24737

Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:04 pm

OkAY 3577, thanks for "your" idea, though I have this sneaky feeling it may have alreday been thought of AND dismissed by those that count.