All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Sun Aug 27, 2006 1:59 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rocknroller wrote:he has never struck me as intelligent ...

You wouldn't know intelligence if it repeatedly struck you square in the face with a baseball bat.

Luuk wrote:When someone treats someone employed that way it generally means they want to get rid of that person.

Actually, no, it does not. It "generally means" they are so insecure about themselves or their life that they need to put someone else down to feel better.

Luuk wrote:However, Lamar was not intelligent enough to see that, probably because of the dollar signs in his eyes!

Do you know how much money Fike made in his association with Elvis? Unless you can credibly answer that question, your comment is about as valuable as being in a room where someone just broke wind.

Luuk wrote:He had the choice: being treated bad but getting an easy life with lots of money, cars and young girls or being poor and no young girls but being treated decently?

You have the choice: making informed, open-minded observations or being stupid and boring the hell out of us.

If you post again, perhaps you can attempt to address Trevell's topic.

Lamar charges $500 just for looking at an autograph and confirm or deny it is a real Elvis one.
I doubt Elvis was so insecure about his life he needed to put down Lamar in order to feel better. I know it is common practice for companies when they want to get rid of someone they give him or her things to do they do not like but could not refuse to do. Guess why Elvis had Marty Lacker drive The Colonel for 8 hours while Elvis knew Marty disliked The Colonel? Shortly thereafter Marty was fired (according to sources) or left (according to Marty).

Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:31 pm

Luuk wrote:Lamar charges $500 just for looking at an autograph and confirm or deny it is a real Elvis one.

Thanks for proving my point. You haven't a clue about Lamar's financial "windfall" while with Elvis, rendering your comments worthless and a waste of our valuable time.

Luuk wrote:I doubt Elvis was so insecure about his life he needed to put down Lamar in order to feel better.

Well, I doubt you know what you're talking about.

Luuk wrote:Guess why Elvis had Marty Lacker drive The Colonel for 8 hours while Elvis knew Marty disliked The Colonel? Shortly thereafter Marty was fired (according to sources) or left (according to Marty).

Aren't you the pathetic guy on the AEK newsgroup that obsessively attacks Marty Lacker, and gets your ass handed to you in a sack, time and again?

Thanks for contributing NOTHING to Trevell's topic. Now I understand why you are so hated on that newsgroup.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:35 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Aren't you the pathetic guy on the AEK newsgroup that obsessively attacks Marty Lacker, and gets your ass handed to you in a sack, time and again?

No, I am the one who pointed out time and time again where he stated things that were not true.
Instead of arguing he started to call me names. Like all losers do.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:55 pm

so lamar and drjohncarpenter are the same person (ars*hole) i just knew it. if anyone disagrees with one of your comments (bullshite) you get personal you dont know me to say i am not intelligent .i just gave my opinon on something and you jump all over me for it.well i will tell you something i am intelligent because i can see though an ars*hole like you. you really do bring down the tone of this mb with your high and mighty comments. we all have opions not just you so get a life lamar (drjohncarpenter).
Last edited by rocknroller on Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:55 pm

Luuk wrote:No, I am the one who pointed out time and time again where he stated things that were not true.

Yeah, kind like your posts here.

Please, tell us once again what super guy your main man Colonel was. I could use a good laugh.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:03 pm

luuk said

People tend to forget that E L V I S was the star and that all these other guys were nothing more than paid employees or paid companions.
Elvis is the only star with fans who are more interested in the hangers on than in the music. Yet these guys are less talented than the worst American Idol contestant! If they would have had any talent they would have achieved a career of their own.

i agree with everything you said buddy. :)

Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:35 pm

rocknroller wrote:so lamar and drjohncarpenter are the same person

Not true - but you're closer to the truth than you realise.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:47 pm

Spellbinder said

Not true - but you're closer to the truth than you realise.

please do tell :?:

Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:37 pm

rocknroller wrote:luuk said

People tend to forget that E L V I S was the star and that all these other guys were nothing more than paid employees or paid companions.
Elvis is the only star with fans who are more interested in the hangers on than in the music. Yet these guys are less talented than the worst American Idol contestant! If they would have had any talent they would have achieved a career of their own.

i agree with everything you said buddy. :)

"I'm the only one that's important on that stage, do you understand?" > Paul Anka.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:29 pm

Hi Gang,
We must remember that a lot of these guys did nothing in their lives but work for "Elvis INC", because he wanted them to be there. Of course I would have loved to be there too - but it wouldn't have been that easy a ride.

It is all too easy for us to bash these people for what they did or didn't do - but it all comes down to the fact that we weren't there, And they lived it.

If you meet these guys, most of them are very kind souls who really cared for Elvis.
Lamar certainly got a rougher ride than most, with Elvis always teasing him & mocking him about his weight.

It is all too easy to condemn these guys. Elvis fired everyone of them multiple times - but always wanted them to come back. That says a lot.

About Goldman, when Nigel talked with Lamar this is what he had to say ...

EIN: Albert Goldman's biography is widely despised by Elvis fans. In 2005, how do you feel about your involvement with it?

LF: My involvement was only to introduce him to people, I had nothing to do what he wrote. Can't we all get over this!

EIN: Because of Goldman's anti-Elvis narrative its positive points are easily overlooked. What do you think Goldman's book brought to the Elvis world?

LF: Nothing.

EIN: In your opinion what was the biggest disappointment for Elvis in his life?

LF: Not touring outside the US.

EIN: Lamar, how did Elvis' death affect you?

LF: I still can't get over it. I miss him every day.

Read Lamar's interview here

And if you ever spent time with Larry Geller you'd also find out that he is a fascinating character who also really did care for Elvis (His healthier/alternate lifestyle had to be good for Elvis)
- and Larry always has plenty to say and HATES what the uncaring Col did to Elvis. (Read Larry)

Give them both a radio show, as they both seem to have more insights than George K.

PS - I think Doc's avatar with Elvis pointing towards his hair - It's a clue and it gives it all away. The Doc IS Larry Geller!

Cheers
Piers

Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:18 pm

PiersEIN said

PS - I think Doc's avatar with Elvis pointing towards his hair - It's a clue and it gives it all away. The Doc IS Larry Geller!

well that explains a few things"""""""""""""""""""""

Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:12 pm

And I am Marilyn Monroe.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:14 pm

someone told me you look like a woman :wink:

Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:24 pm

PiersEIN wrote:Hi Gang,
We must remember that a lot of these guys did nothing in their lives but work for "Elvis INC", because he wanted them to be there. Of course I would have loved to be there too - but it wouldn't have been that easy a ride.

It is all too easy for us to bash these people for what they did or didn't do - but it all comes down to the fact that we weren't there, And they lived it.

If you meet these guys, most of them are very kind souls who really cared for Elvis.
Lamar certainly got a rougher ride than most, with Elvis always teasing him & mocking him about his weight.

It is all too easy to condemn these guys. Elvis fired everyone of them multiple times - but always wanted them to come back. That says a lot.

About Goldman, when Nigel talked with Lamar this is what he had to say ...

EIN: Albert Goldman's biography is widely despised by Elvis fans. In 2005, how do you feel about your involvement with it?

LF: My involvement was only to introduce him to people, I had nothing to do what he wrote. Can't we all get over this!

EIN: Because of Goldman's anti-Elvis narrative its positive points are easily overlooked. What do you think Goldman's book brought to the Elvis world?

LF: Nothing.

EIN: In your opinion what was the biggest disappointment for Elvis in his life?

LF: Not touring outside the US.

EIN: Lamar, how did Elvis' death affect you?

LF: I still can't get over it. I miss him every day.

Read Lamar's interview here

And if you ever spent time with Larry Geller you'd also find out that he is a fascinating character who also really did care for Elvis (His healthier/alternate lifestyle had to be good for Elvis)
- and Larry always has plenty to say and HATES what the uncaring Col did to Elvis. (Read Larry)

Give them both a radio show, as they both seem to have more insights than George K.

Cheers
Piers

thats great Piers that he misses him and that he cant get over his death, at the same time he relishes getting in front of the camera and discussing Elvis' decline and all it entails, and you can't tell me that he does not harbor bitterness due to the rough treatment he got in the group.

Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:00 am

Kylan wrote:
Trevell wrote:Alright, so Lamar talked to Goldman. I don't think he realized Albert was going to use his info in such a hatefull way. I don't think Lamar is that bad. Maybe he exagerates a little, but he comes off as a pretty straight up guy to me.

I don't have anything against Klien, I just get tired of hearing the same old "feel good" stories all the time.

Maybe they could give my favorite Mafia member Larry Gellar a show as well! :lol:

yeah who wants nice??? Id rather hear Lamar talk about Elvis not being able to control his bowels and revelations like Elvis not taking a bath and stinky. Lamar is a good guy! wake up dude!

I don't care about what's nice and I don't care about what's nasty. All I want to hear is the truth about the fascinating life and times of Elvis Presley. I don't need the facts to be constantly sugar coated or flat out disregarded. That seems to be the common practice of EPE and thier Elvis radio station.

Re: The Lamar Fike Show

Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:02 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Trevell wrote:They should give Lamar Fike his own show on Sirius 13 Elvis Radio. It would be a nice contrast to hearing George Klein all the time.

Klein has never struck me as someone who conveys a whole lot of insight into the Presley story, pretty sad considering he first knew of Elvis at Humes High back in the early fifties and made his living as a DJ.

We all know Fike's "sins" against Elvis (Goldman's "Elvis"), but seldom discussed is how cruel Elvis was to Lamar through the years. The "water" scene from the EOT outtakes is embarassing enough without knowing their history. It should be noted Fike deeply regrets his involvement in that mean-spirited biography.

Fike on satellite radio with an Elvis program? A great idea. He's hilarious, with a quick, biting wit. It had to be one of the reasons Elvis loved him.

And, after reading "Elvis Aaron Presley - Revelations From The Memphis Mafia," it is clear Fike is one of the most perceptive and intelligent people Elvis associated with as an adult.

That is EXACTLY what I'm talking about!!

Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:03 am

well if you find that stuff "fascinating", more power to ya!
Last edited by Kylan on Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:10 am

Kylan wrote:well if you find that stuff fascinating, more power to ya!

I'm not ashamed to say that I find just about every aspect of Elvis' life fascinating. Elvis' life plays out like a Greek tragedy. I know I'm not the first to say that but it's true. Of course it's his music that rises above everything else for me, but I like to learn about everything good and bad.
Last edited by Trevell on Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:37 am

rocknroller wrote:so lamar and drjohncarpenter are the same person (ars*hole) i just knew it. if anyone disagrees with one of your comments (bullshite) you get personal you dont know me to say i am not intelligent .i just gave my opinon on something and you jump all over me for it.well i will tell you something i am intelligent because i can see though an ars*hole like you. you really do bring down the tone of this mb with your high and mighty comments. we all have opions not just you so get a life lamar (drjohncarpenter).

Its Sonny West :!:

Marty Lacker told on AEK Sonny is on an public Forum

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:04 am

None of Elvis' guys are as articulate or intelligent as the good ole Doc! :lol:

Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:40 am

Kylan wrote:None of Elvis' guys are as articulate or intelligent as the good ole Doc! :lol:

Yes that´s right :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:17 am

Stan from Tintane wrote:Didn't Lamar work in the music business, publishing even when he was with Elvis?

Yes, he did. He was with Hill and Range and looked songs for Elvis. He also worked as a road manager for Brenda Lee. After Elvis died he worked as a road manager for Billie Jo Spears. Later he went to work for a record company in Nashville as a consultant. After that he worked in music publishing.

S**t

Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:36 pm

S**t, now after some careful image cleaning ... it seems that poor Lamar was not the silly dude with inferiority complex due to obesity, ridiculed by Elvis and his friends, but the nicest, most intelligent and talented Elvis employee :o How things can change :P

As for Larry Geller... I liked his book IF I CAN DREAM years ago (even if there are many obvious mistakes, but this is rather common thing... in every book)... he had big understanding for Elvis in his last years etc... but still I had always such feeling that he tried to appear as much more important person than he reall was ... probably due to fact that he was hated by most of other members of Elvis mafia and he had no support by The Colonel... so he was an outsider. In last 20 years he repeated the same stories that he wrote in his book, nothing new at all. Pls he is using Elvis name for selfpromotion... but this is also nothing new in the circle of Elvis former employees...

Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:57 pm

Hi Gang,
Today by chance I came across this article (review of Careless Love) by the esteemed Gordon Minto from ETM&HM.
Written in 1999 mag #43, I had never read it before.
It is pertinent to this discussion..

"As regards his friends. I also have to admit to a gradual change in my attitude to them- For a number of years previously I was of the opinion that the so-called Memphis Mafia were little more than self-serving flunkies. However, I have moderated my views considerably over the years. I loved the revealing 'All The King's Men' tapes (for which I make no apology: if you don't agree that is your problem, not mine) and came to see that they - 'his guys' - did fulfil a number of very important roles.

Principally, we must not forget that Elvis liked them for most of the time and wanted them around. To a large extent he dictated - literally, as any feudal monarch would have done - what he wanted from there. Theirs cannot have been an easy position to occupy - friend and employee in many cases - and perhaps we ought to consider what we would have done in that position and not be so judgmental and hard upon them. Of course, they jockeyed for position and favours, but dammit, that's only human nature, and if we are to castigate them for that then we must also do so to Elvis for allowing that to happen.

Perhaps, somewhat late in the day, we ought to be exhibiting a little more compassion and understanding for them, for a consequence of occupying the high moral ground is that the fall is greater when our own weaknesses are discovered. Judge lest not ye be judged! And please, don't trot out any tripe about their trying to change Elvis: I've seen that movie, and life just does not work that way, as even an elementary knowledge of the workings of human behaviour will show.

Yet while Guralnick pulls no punches - there were times when I felt really emotional as I read what a state Elvis was in on occasions in the post-'73 era - we never get the impression that he disliked his subject or felt superior to him. On the contrary, it is Peter's ability and instinct to weigh the evidence carefully and present a plausible interpretation that makes this book so readable. But above all, apart from his fine qualities as a researcher and writer, it is his compassion and understanding which makes this book tower above all others of its type. In short - despite its uncomfortable nature at times - it is essential reading if you want to understand the real Elvis Presley and what a tormented and tortured soul he was for much of his later life. But be warned: some of the accounts are heartbreakingly sad."

Elvis The Man & His Music is an excellent magazine. Even reading back issues from 6 years ago is illuminating!

Cheers
Piers

Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:33 am

Luuk wrote:Guess why Elvis had Marty Lacker drive The Colonel for 8 hours while Elvis knew Marty disliked The Colonel? Shortly thereafter Marty was fired (according to sources) or left (according to Marty).

drjohncarpenter wrote:Aren't you the pathetic guy on the AEK newsgroup that obsessively attacks Marty Lacker, and gets your ass handed to you in a sack, time and again?

Thanks for contributing NOTHING to Trevell's topic. Now I understand why you are so hated on that newsgroup.

Ummmm, yep he would be that person! :lol: