All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:24 am

Nothing even remotely touches HE TOUCHED ME from Japan paper sleeve as of this date and time.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:23 am

elvissessions.com: Eagerly awaiting your sonic assessment of "Elvis Christmas". Hope it contains the "Silent Night" master with the piano intro. I trust you'll mention this in your comments.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:21 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Ernst has stated on numerous occasions how retail will not accept last year's packages in their stores. It's "old" product. So BMG must create "new" collections every year, or be rejected

That’s an interesting comment as this logic doesn’t seem to apply to other artists.

A recent TV advertising campaign pushing back catalogue Rolling Stones titles along with the current album here in the UK included a plug for the 70/80’s hit package “Jump Back” which must be around ten years old, and is now being billed as a classic album along with “Exile”, “Sticky Fingers” etc.

Without going over old ground here, there are also numerous hits packages by other artists that have remained on catalogue for a number of years and are re-promoted as and when their record company sees fit to do so.

Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:34 pm

Good point, Reb.'

This isn't an abstraction: other artists don't all get "new" album covers every six months.

And it's not a question of igorance of retail but an attempt to offer a counter-strategy.

And at this point, I'm not so sure it's not just fans on this very site who are buying for the "new cover," "new sound," or the "missing intro.."

We're all grateful to Ernst and FTD. But the notion that we cannot criticize how Elvis' album catalog is marketed or that it should somehow off the table is absurd.

Maybe BMG's insistance that they market this as "new" material is the problem. Wouldn't a casual fan say "new" Elvis Christmas album? I"ve been hearing his Yule tunes on the radio for years and he's been dead for almost 30 years...!"

If it's shorthand for restocking supply, that's different. So stores won't stock new versions of "White Christmas" or "If Every Day..." Some stores still sell them every Xmas anyway.

Jerry Nodak wrote:

Code:
rockinrebel: How long can they get away with re-releasing the same stuff?
As long as people buy it.

As long as you buy it, Jerry. :evil: :lol:

Get ready for another love compilation with "Are You Lonesome Tonight" and "Can't Help Falling In Love" and "Love Me Tender" ...and maybe even "If I Can Dream" coming February 2007. :roll:

Sat Aug 26, 2006 4:07 am

[quote="Gregory Nolan Jr."]Good point, Reb.'

This isn't an abstraction: other artists don't all get "new" album covers every six months.

And it's not a question of igorance of retail but an attempt to offer a counter-strategy.

And at this point, I'm not so sure it's not just fans on this very site who are buying for the "new cover," "new sound," or the "missing intro.."

We're all grateful to Ernst and FTD. But the notion that we cannot criticize how Elvis' album catalog is marketed or that it should somehow off the table is absurd.

Maybe BMG's insistance that they market this as "new" material is the problem. Wouldn't a casual fan say "new" Elvis Christmas album? I"ve been hearing his Yule tunes on the radio for years and he's been dead for almost 30 years...!"

If it's shorthand for restocking supply, that's different. So stores won't stock new versions of "White Christmas" or "If Every Day..." Some stores still sell them every Xmas anyway.

Jerry Nodak wrote:

Code:
rockinrebel: How long can they get away with re-releasing the same stuff?
As long as people buy it.

As long as you buy it, Jerry. :evil: :lol:

Get ready for another love compilation with "Are You Lonesome Tonight" and "Can't Help Falling In Love" and "Love Me Tender" ...and maybe even "If I Can Dream" coming February 2007. :roll:[/quote

Will it have improved DSD-DDD sound? Then I'll have to buy it.

Yes, I know I'm part of the "problem". It's the way I am.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:21 am

I haven't perused this thread in any depth, so sorry if what follows is redundant. This new Christmas set is simply the 2 original Christmas lp's on 1 cd. I hope this flops so BMG will stop ridin' this horse into the ground! The only reason they do this is, according to Ernst, they sell half a million units each time a new Christmas or Gospel set is released.

If anything, this should have been a budget release.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:24 am

Pete Dube wrote:I haven't perused this thread in any depth, so sorry if what follows is redundant. This new Christmas set is simply the 2 original Christmas lp's on 1 cd. I hope this flops so BMG will stop ridin' this horse into the ground! The only reason they do this is, according to Ernst, they sell half a million units each time a new Christmas or Gospel set is released.

If anything, this should have been a budget release.

if they do indeed sell half a million units or so, how can you possibly fault BMG for returning to the well? hell, its business man.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:35 am

Yeah I know Ky, but I can't help but wonder how many units they could move each yuletide season on the If Every Day Was Like Christmas set if they just stuck with that and promoted it every Christmas.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:24 am

Pete Dube: Heck, why not re-release Elvis' Christmas Album (1970) with the original Camden cover(s). According to RIAA figures on elvis.com it's 9x platinum. At 500,000 units per Christmas season Elvis would have his first diamond award in two years.

Hell, "It's Christmas Time" is already 2x platinum according to elvis.com.
That album is nothing more than Elvis' Christmas Album (1970) with a different cover.

No, Greg. I didn't buy that one.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:04 am

JerryNodak wrote:Hell, "It's Christmas Time" is already 2x platinum according to elvis.com.
That album is nothing more than Elvis' Christmas Album (1970) with a different cover.

If that's true, shouldn't the combined sales count with the RIAA ?

Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:01 pm

I have said this many times before: The more money EPE and BMG can make by selling Elvis products to the public the better the chance of collectors getting what they really want. :shock:

An example - if EPE sells half a million Elvis ducks then this could provide some funds for a 25 DVD release of TTWII Outtakes :wink:

Lets start a poll for a TV advertising campaign to promote Elvis ducks :D

Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:18 pm

LesterB wrote:.... if EPE sells half a million Elvis ducks then this could provide some funds for a 25 DVD release of TTWII Outtakes

Don't see how that would work.

The cash from the duck sales goes to a different company from the one that owns the TTWII footage.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:10 pm

ColinB: I double checked the tracklisting of "It's Christmas Time" on Amazon as I don't have this cd. Assuming their tracklisting is correct it matchs Elvis Christmas Album (1970).

As too why they couldn't combine the sales totals of both I have no clue.
Perhaps Sony/BMG would have to make a formal request of RIAA to allow that???

Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:17 pm

ColinB wrote:
LesterB wrote:.... if EPE sells half a million Elvis ducks then this could provide some funds for a 25 DVD release of TTWII Outtakes

Don't see how that would work.

The cash from the duck sales goes to a different company from the one that owns the TTWII footage.

Damn foiled again! :D

PROPERTY OF T.... should have given me a clue

Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:45 pm

JerryNodak wrote:ColinB: I double checked the tracklisting of "It's Christmas Time" on Amazon as I don't have this cd. Assuming their tracklisting is correct it matchs Elvis Christmas Album (1970).

As too why they couldn't combine the sales totals of both I have no clue.
Perhaps Sony/BMG would have to make a formal request of RIAA to allow that???

Thanks for taking the time to do the comparison.

This is one for 'Ask Ernst' !

Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:21 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Just for the records....anyone out there who knows how many Xmas discs
we already have..??
I think in 5 years Jailhouse Rock counts as Xmas song too..on 167th release..

According to The Elvis Code -a new book that has unearthed hidden messages in the paintings of Scatter the chimp and the Gospels according to Larma Fike, Marty Lacky, Uri ( mind bender) Gellar, Silly Smith, Sunny and Red Vest etc. Jaihouse Rock is both a Gospel and a Christmas song.

BMG has is about to issue a press release about this amazing discovery and has promised to add this to Gospel and Christmas albums in the future ( possibly two weeks time). A spokeman said " we are very excited about this find - whilst Jaihouse Rock has been played trillions of times and we've used it on thousands of compilation albums - no one has really listened to the song and heard its hidden message. I feel sure fans will buy it by the truckload".

On future Gospel and Christmas compilation albums this song will be listed as

O'HAIL JESU ROCK ( the song formerly known as Jailhouse Rock)

Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:06 pm

Legacy recordings don’t put “Highway 61 Revisited” in a new cover every year. However, it still available in the shops, so presumably it still sells.

If Joe Public wanted an Elvis Christmas album I’m sure he would be able to find one of the older available titles in the racks, and if BMG felt the time was right for a sales push, there’s nothing to stop them re-promoting an older title which is still part of the catalogue.

This happens all the time with other artists. There is simply no need for another Christmas album.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:01 pm

rockinrebel wrote:.....This happens all the time with other artists.

There is simply no need for another Christmas album.

Well, BMG must know if the old ones are selling or not, musn't they ?

If they could keep selling the old albums surely they would.

They have access to figures that we don't.

Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:31 pm

Here is a possible cover for this "new" CD from an ElvisNews update:

Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:14 am

I'd kind of hoped and expected that the cover would be more in keeping with the style of the new "Elvis _______" series, thus making it clear to casual buyers that they were missing a part of the series if they didn't buy it.

Even neophytes can be roped into a completist mindset on something, thus the strategy of various Time-Life series and such.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:09 am

Why is "If Every Day Was Like Christmas" not included on the new comp?

Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:17 am

There is a "need" to do this again and again unfortunatley.

It is not the record companies fault nor the publics but the retail shops.

They dont care if its the same songs or not, they want to have "new" stock on the shelf sooner and sooner - or rather they dont want old stock kicking around after three months unless it is an exceptional seller.

There is a natural downward spiral evolving from the competitivness of the retail outlets. As some point out, if people want to have an Elvis Xmas album then they would be able to have a choice from the back catalogue. There's not a problem therein but the retail outlets want to entice people to buy something or to stimulate that thought they may have had of buying it but not necessarily on this visit. They want to maximise that sale NOW! not tomorrow when they might be in a competitors shop.

The upshot of all this is that because they all do it then it cancels itself out and nobody gains anything. but criticly that means no one loses anything either. The first to stop doing it loses their grip.

Ernst will tell you more about this side and the pressure the record companies are under to provide repackaged releases of the same material. It's nothing exclusive to Elvis at all.

Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:39 am

Claus wrote:Why is "If Every Day Was Like Christmas" not included on the new comp?

My "educated" guess is because this is a straight re-issue of his two original Christmas albums. Same tracks. Same running order. No extras. A twofer if you will.

Crazy

Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:19 am

Claus wrote:Why is "If Every Day Was Like Christmas" not included on the new comp?

Its sad that one of the best Elvis Christmas songs is missing I guess they don't want Red West getting any royalties :lol:

Sun Aug 27, 2006 8:14 am

Kylan wrote:
if they do indeed sell half a million units or so, how can you possibly fault BMG for returning to the well? hell, its business man.

The Colonel would have applauded you, Kylan. Once again, no one's saying that BMG should not make profits but it's a question of pairing that with artistic integrity. Other acts find that balance (as Rockin' Rebel points out), so why not Elvis' catalog managers?

Steve M. wrote:
Ernst will tell you more about this side and the pressure the record companies are under to provide repackaged releases of the same material. It's nothing exclusive to Elvis at all.

While I like a lot of what you explained in your post, here I disagree. For a back catalogue (essentially defunct) artist, the managers of the Elvis recordings are way out front in repackaging already available material. Other acts just do not see so much of this.