All posts with more than 3000 Hits, prior to 2008

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Topic author
elvissessions
Registered for: 20 years 1 month

New Christmas disc track listing

Post by elvissessions »

According to http://www.elvisinfonet.com:
New Sony/BMG Christmas CD details: Ernst Jorgensen mentioned that BMG would be issuing a Christmas CD again this Christmas at the "Insider's Conference" in Memphis. According to the SONY/BMG website the release date is October 3, 2006.

Track listing Elvis Presley called Elvis Christmas: 1. Santa Claus Is Back In Town /2. White Christmas /3. Here Comes Santa Claus (Right Down Santa Claus Lane) /4. I'll Be Home For Christmas /5. Blue Christmas /6. Santa Bring My Baby Back (To Me) /7. O Little Town Of Bethlehem /8. Silent Night /9. (There'll Be) Peace In The Valley (For Me) /10. I Believe /11. Take My Hand, Precious Lord /12. It Is No Secret (What God Can Do) /13. O Come, All Ye Faithful /14. The First Noel /15. On A Snowy Christmas Night /16. Winter Wonderland /17. The Wonderful World Of Christmas /18. It Won't Seem Like Christmas (Without You) /19. I'll Be Home On Christmas Day /20. If I Get Home On Christmas Day /21. Holly Leaves And Christmas Trees /22. Merry Christmas Baby /23. Silver Bells
We had beautifully mastered versions of all the Christmas songs recently, but the opening piano of Silent Night was trimmed, slightly tarnishing an otherwise wonderful package. Perhaps this will fix that problem and the collection will serve some purpose.

thenexte
Registered for: 21 years

Post by thenexte »

Wow, this looks like a two-fer of the two original albums! And all of this is DSD remastered? If this is a new trend that is showing up at BMG and they'll subject other original albums to these two-fers then I'm all for it...

P.S.: How about a DSD two-fer of "From Elvis in Memphis"/"Back in Memphis" titled "Elvis Memphis '69"? Now there goes an idea...

nigel
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by nigel »

I know where Carolyn is coming from.

The bottom line for BMG is $. The bottom line for fans is: do we really need the hundredth yuletide album? Realistically, in the US and EC they'll sell enough of the release to make a very tidy profit. Artistically though it's another matter.

Nigel
EIN

Delboy

Post by Delboy »

What happened to the Christmas message from Elvis?? Also, why is it getting released on October 3rd? Christmas just gets earlier and earlier. I smell a rat! :evil: :smt111 :smt111 :smt111

Old Shep
Registered for: 19 years 4 months

Post by Old Shep »

:smt016 :smt019

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

You can listen to samples of "Elvis Christmas" at http://www.sonymusicstore.com. Just do a search for "Elvis Christmas." I've listened to several of the offerings and I think the sound is improved over "Christmas Peace" -- is this possible? Perhaps, Kevan Budd had a hand in this release (I certainly hope so).

Surely the flaw on "Silent Night" has been fixed??

Mystery Train

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****

Post by ekenee »

carolynlm wrote: The thing I would like to see on these BMG releases is some kind of advertisement for the FTD label. If BMG release these compilations with the hope that the casual Elvis fan will purchase them, then in turn will want to find more of Elvis' material, wouldn't the mention of another label do just that?

I agree, this is just basic marketing that should be done to maximize sales. Yeah BMG, get the word out! Even include a little brochere of all the past releases and how to get them.

KiwiAlan

Post by KiwiAlan »

I would suggest that the reason that no FTD brochure be included with mainstream releases is that RCA's retail base would not be pleased to assist in directing buyers to a source that they could not handle.

The real answer is to make FTD available universally at a more realistic price. As a tired example look at ACE (UK) issues - available all over the world and I bet many of the titles would not sell as well as FTD.

My copy of The Beatles Past Masters Volume Two has both an 8 page insert detailing the album AND a 16 four colour booklet advertising the entire Beatles CD availability at the time. This is sound marketing and I wish RCA would take note.

As for this Christmas album - no thanks. I would be interested in classic versions of both originals if the name Kevan or Sebastion is on the covers!

When you get to the point where you really understand your computer, it's probably obsolete

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

Just for the records....anyone out there who knows how many Xmas discs
we already have..??
I think in 5 years Jailhouse Rock counts as Xmas song too..on 167th release..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

FTD should release all the outtakes that are in no longer available releases and upgraded sound. An FTD Christmas.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

IF this release includes "Silent Night" with piano intro I might buy it.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

Again they stick on the four sacred songs from the 1957 EP which have no connection to the Festive Season !

The best Xmas Collection we have had was the 1994 album: If Every Day Was Like Christmas.

That gave us just all the Elvis Christmas songs and some neat outtakes, too !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

ColinB wrote:Again they stick on the four sacred songs from the 1957 EP which have no connection to the Festive Season !

The best Xmas Collection we have had was the 1994 album: If Every Day Was Like Christmas.

You got that right, Mister! Too bad they couldn't improve the sound of that one.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

I expect the rationale for the inclusion of the sacred songs is that they were part of the original '57 Christmas album, and this is basically a twofer re-release of his two Christmas albums without any extras.

If you need to blame someone for the inclusion of the sacred songs, blame Steve Sholes of RCA who okayed their inclusion back in '57.

I, myself, have never had a problem with their inclusion. Although; I would have preferred 4 more Christmasey songs.
Last edited by JerryNodak on Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ColinB

Post by ColinB »

JerryNodak wrote:I expect the rationale for the inclusion of the sacred songs is that they were part of the original '57 Christmas album, and this is basically a twofer re-release of his two Christmas albums without any extras.
Do you know, Jerry, I hadn't noticed that !

So I reckon Merry Christmas, Baby will be the 5:45 version, then !

Colin B
Judge a man not by his answers, but by his questions - Voltaire

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

The best Christmas release is of course the Japanese Paper Sleeve edition of Elvis' Christmas Album!

8)

Identical packaging to the original vinyl release, the best mastering to date of these tracks.

Simply stunning!

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

ColinB wrote:Again they stick on the four sacred songs from the 1957 EP which have no connection to the Festive Season !

This the problem with the current mainstream release policy. The ‘new’ compilation is not always as comprehensive or relevant as the one it is supposed to replace. The same logic applies to “Ultimate Gospel”. The sound quality may have been improved, but the “Amazing Grace” collection was much a better set, providing a complete overview of Elvis’ gospel masters.

I remember reading on these pages that “Christmas Peace” was worth buying due to the sonic improvements over previous Christmas releases, and now the same is being said about this forthcoming set. It makes you wonder how many times BMG can get away with (re)releasing what is essentially the same album as a ‘new’ product.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

rockinrebel: How long can they get away with re-releasing the same stuff?
As long as people buy it.

As far as comprehensive collections are concerned I consider "Peace In The Valley" the most comprehensive. So comprehensive in fact, that I have a hard time sitting through it. In truth, I wish I hadn't bought it.

Juan Luis

Post by Juan Luis »

Gospel songs added to LOC-1035 was a wise move Imo. That setup an audience for the next three complete albums. Something about Christ in Christmas is an obvious reason for those songs to settle in quite nicely within the for the most part POP album.

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

nigel wrote:The bottom line for BMG is $.
Ciscoking wrote:Just for the records....anyone out there who knows how many Xmas discs we already have..?? I think in 5 years Jailhouse Rock counts as Xmas song too..on 167th release..
Will the chorus of complainers please take a powder?

It's stunning how ignorant fans here can be about the subject of BMG, Elvis and retail sales.

Ernst has stated on numerous occasions how retail will not accept last year's packages in their stores. It's "old" product. So BMG must create "new" collections every year, or be rejected.

And, yes, BMG is a corporation, so a primary goal is to run their business in a profitable manner. They also allow Ernst (and Roger) a fan-only label to cater to our needs, a luxury that may be rescinded at any time.

So chill out, and be grateful for the current situation. It's unique.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

Topic author
elvissessions

Post by elvissessions »

In case there's any doubt, I agree. The last mainstream label single-disc Christmas album came out in 2000. If BMG feels the need to freshen up the shelves every five or six years, I have no gripe with them.

With no bonus outtakes on the disc, no complaining collector needs to feel any pressure to buy it.

I will, as usual, to check for any improvements in sound quality and in hopes of getting a "perfect" version of White Christmas, but I certainly understand if others opt out.

Ciscoking

Post by Ciscoking »

The other way round....anybody knows about the releasing policy
of Xmas songs from other artists like Sinatra, D.Martin...is it the
same policy as in Elvis case..?
If so..I apologise for what I have written before..

Thanks to Ernst Joergensen, Roger Semon and Erik Rasmussen for the great work. Keep the spirit alive !

thenexte

Post by thenexte »

rockinrebel wrote:

This the problem with the current mainstream release policy. The ‘new’ compilation is not always as comprehensive or relevant as the one it is supposed to replace. The same logic applies to “Ultimate Gospel”. The sound quality may have been improved, but the “Amazing Grace” collection was much a better set, providing a complete overview of Elvis’ gospel masters.
To be honest the mastering on AG/PITV was anything but good. The Japanese 24-bit remasters of the original gospel albums smoke these collections every time. It will be interesting to see how the 1957 tracks on the new collection will stack up against the Japanese 24-bit remaster. Perhaps they found some better tapes (just like with MDQ) and ran them through DSD, the results could indeed be stunning. I don't remember the 1971 tracks ever sounding good on any collection, so there's lots of room for improvement.
Last edited by thenexte on Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

thenexte: I agree that the Japanese 24-bit remasters of the original gospel albums are first rate.

Topic author
elvissessions

Post by elvissessions »

I think the gospel tracks included on Christmas Peace and Ultimate Gospel are easily the equal of any previous issue, Japanese or otherwise. I haven't spent much time with Elvis Inspirational so haven't got an opinion on that one yet. I'd assume, given the quality of recent releases, it will hold up well. Any confirmation?